Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Happy New Year UKMT :toot:

We can finally leave the shitfest of 2016 behind us and look forward to a glorious new year where none of the events set in motion last year actually happen.

What else is in the news?
• Lib Dem leader Tim Farron claims his party is "back in the big time".
• Southern Rail continues to be poo poo.
• Riots in HMP Birmingham and Swaleside show the problems of the prison-industrial system, especially those of private guards.
• Armed police stand around for 10 minutes to get their picture taken by the papers in several major cities, in an effort to discourage people driving a truck into them.
• Elizabeth II has temporarily disappeared from public life after an illness, leading to a lot of fake tweets about a media blackout.
• Brexit countdown: 89 days. Brexit plans released: 0. Brexit means: Brexit.

We've Wander'd Mony A Weary Fit

Out With The Old
UKMT December 2016 Thread
UKMT November 2016 Thread
UKMT October 2016
UKMT September 2016
UKMT August 2016

Dies Anus Novus
Brexit Thread

Hogminay/Hogmenay/Hogmynae/Huggeranohni
Scotpol Thread

Bash Fashanah
EDL/Fash Thread

Duodi 12 Nivôse An CCXXV
Europol Thread

Judicial Ball Dropping
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

Watchnight Train
Trainchat Thread

The Not-Racist New Year's Macface Morris
Political Cartoons Thread

Round the Bay Relay
#ukgoons on synIRC (thanks crispix).

New Year's Resolutions

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;
13. Hope is a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm not ready for this

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Has anyone suggested that maybe full Communism is the answer?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My solitary contribution to the thread is always this

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Has anyone suggested that maybe full Communism is the answer?

Are we sure it's not neoliberalism?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I watched 2016 Wipe today.

Brooker is a goon, right?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Both have failed, clearly the only answer is the middle ground.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Vlex posted:

I watched 2016 Wipe today.

Brooker is a goon, right?

Yes but only to solely lurk the thread about keeping chickens in BYOB.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

We should give people the binary choice between bland neoliberal centrism and frothing populist fascism over and over again and continue to act surprised at the results. It's the logical way imo.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Miftan posted:

Both have failed, clearly the only answer is the middle ground.

Best avatar/post combo of 2017. I'm calling it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guavanaut posted:

We should give people the binary choice between bland neoliberal centrism and frothing populist fascism over and over again and continue to act surprised at the results. It's the logical way imo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
They're only going to keep picking fascism till they realise everyone can be a target. Everyone. Once the easy targets are murdered then it's short people. Brown haired people. People with exactly 28 moles. People with exactly 25 moles. People who can/can't dance. People who know more than the original 150 pokemon.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Northern Ireland RHI scandal continues to rumble on at a slow boil with continued revelations about the subsidy scheme following the failed opposition no confidence motion against First Minister Arlene Foster. There have been reports that Foster's department was specifically warned early on of a possible overspend but no actions where taken and the DUP released letters Foster wrote to regional banks assuring them that subsidy payments would not be reduced to assist applicants in securing finance for the conversions required to benefit from the scheme (the letters only being released after their existence was revealed by a newspaper). Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness reiterated Sinn Fein's call for Foster to step aside in his New Year's statement today:

quote:

There is also no doubt that we are facing a serious growing political crisis in the North as public confidence in the political institutions has been grievously undermined by the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) debacle and the DUP's failure to deal responsibly and adequately with it.

In order to address these challenges the DUP and its leader Arlene Foster need to accept there is an overwhelming desire in the community to deal with this issue and for Arlene Foster to step aside as First Minister pending a preliminary report.

The DUP's hope that this might quietly blow over during the holiday doesn't seemed to have panned out, with SF's position on the issue hardening a bit. SF abstained from the no confidence motion arguing that it was sensationalist posturing from the opposition but have made it clear they will be tabling their own motion on January 16th calling for an independent investigation into the handling of the scheme and for Foster to temporarily step aside as First Minister pending the outcome of the report (something that previous First Minister Peter Robinson did in 2010 after revelations about a financial scandal involving his wife). It's a carefully crafted offer designed to answer growing public anger over the scheme that leave's SF vulnerable over allegations they are letting the DUP off the hook on the issue while giving their Executive partner's enough breathing space in order to maintain the current Executive.

However the DUP are not keen at all and have said Foster will not step aside "for a single day" signalling the growing likelihood of a confrontation between the two executive parties in two weeks. Though every party except the DUP are likely to vote in favour of the SF motion (barring the Opposition taking revenge on SF for abstaining on their motion) the DUP has enough seats to launch a petition of concern to trigger a cross community vote and bury the issue yet again, a move which threatens to plunge public confidence in the Assembly to an all time low (not that it isn't on the floor at the moment or anything).

SF haven't completely ruled out a new election, which would be triggered by them pulling out of government with the DUP. Conor Murphy, the man considered most likely to replace Martin McGuinness as Northern SF leader in the not too distant future, said it remained a "distinct possibility" if Foster continues to refuse to resign - though it's obvious SF do not particularly want to go to the polls it's unlikely they would lose out on much and the DUP could face a backlash from the voters.

Either way the strained cordial working relationship between the DUP and SF seems to be severely damaged which probably signals a fun year of perpetual threatened collapse

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My solitary contribution to the thread is always this

Sad!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
It's very sad because hope is all we've got.

But now we've memed that away we got gently caress all. Idiots.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're only going to keep picking fascism till they realise everyone can be a target. Everyone. Once the easy targets are murdered then it's short people. Brown haired people. People with exactly 28 moles. People with exactly 25 moles. People who can/can't dance. People who know more than the original 150 pokemon.

Anything after mew is bourgeois excess.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Best avatar/post combo of 2017. I'm calling it.

Take two things people don't like, the real answer is surely combining them.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

endlessmonotony posted:

Take two things people don't like, the real answer is surely combining them.

Somehow this post made me think of kebabs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i'm glad you included the most important thing in the january 2017 op

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That winegums pissflaps pic should be in the OP

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

JFairfax posted:

That winegums pissflaps pic should be in the OP

So should this though

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Somehow this post made me think of kebabs.

Kebabs are the best food. Hang your head in shame.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
This one time I left Wales I found a place doing Shawarma. Now that's a food. Much like Harvester restaurants it's non existent on the right side of the border.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So should this though

Reverse it and it suddenly becomes meaningful

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Touche.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The 2016 Wipe was just an episode of Black Mirror, complete with a Black Mirror twist.

... and somehow it works so perfectly well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Regarde Aduck posted:

This one time I left Wales I found a place doing Shawarma. Now that's a food. Much like Harvester restaurants it's non existent on the right side of the border.

I'm a fan of the Gyro

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

:golfclap:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

But on the other hand:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Would you like a Full English Brexit? Or a continental Brexit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scottish brexit is better, more potato scone.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kokoro Wish posted:

But on the other hand:

the true pain of this thread is this reversing and then going forward again again and again forever

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Was just about to post, it needs to loop back and forwards to properly depict the eternal cycle. :)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Laradus posted:

Was just about to post, it needs to loop back and forwards to properly depict the eternal cycle. :)

Can you describe this 'cycle' in your own words?

Complaints against Labour's current leadership - my own included - seem entirely linear.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The truth is in the middle

e- imagine imgur not being garbage so several people didn't have time to make the same joke ty :tipshat:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

baka kaba posted:

The truth is in the middle

e- imagine imgur not being garbage so several people didn't have time to make the same joke ty :tipshat:

well at least you did the actual work part of it that I couldn't be bothered remembering how to do animated gifs on my computer for

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's 2017, I typed 'gif loop reverse' into Google and picked one of the fabulous online services that do everything for you now

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

It's 2017, I typed 'gif loop reverse' into Google and picked one of the fabulous online services that do everything for you now

Sometimes it's nice living in the future.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Miftan posted:

Sometimes it's nice living in the future.

Occasionally I notice that. It usually involves some sort of streaming video service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Can you describe this 'cycle' in your own words?

Complaints against Labour's current leadership - my own included - seem entirely linear.

The 'cycle' is you post, you get probated, you come back. Whatever else would I mean? :angel:

I did try to loop the gif but imgur just wouldn't accept unfortunately. I knew someone would step in :effort:

• Locked thread