Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

UnSmith posted:

loving GHOST FISH!!!!!

Not an empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

UnSmith posted:

loving GHOST FISH!!!!!

screams

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

UnSmith posted:

loving GHOST FISH!!!!!
I love that I didn't even need to show the Ghost Fish but only mention the name once, and I elicit this response. I share all your pain.

Although they are simultaneously the worst and best thing at the end of the game. I'll have plenty to say about them by Chapter 14 (17 in Sigma. Thanks a bunch, Rachel)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ArclightBorealis posted:

I love that I didn't even need to show the Ghost Fish but only mention the name once, and I elicit this response. I share all your pain.

Although they are simultaneously the worst and best thing at the end of the game. I'll have plenty to say about them by Chapter 14 (17 in Sigma. Thanks a bunch, Rachel)

Speaking of Rachel, I don't remember her having to deal with them. Or when her next chapter is in Sigma. It's been a long while since I played either game; my NGB disc is broken and my 360 will not read it. It makes me really sad that i can't partake in Ninja poo poo alongside the LP.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

This chapter features some of the fewest, most inconsequential changes from its original version that there's not really anything new to say about it. So instead we'll look back on the game thus far and get PSWII60's take on his experience with this side by side comparison playthrough. Also I get on my soapbox for a bit where it will hopefully be the only time I go on a rant about my disappointment towards Yosuke Hayashi and post-Itagaki Team Ninja. At least for this game.

The Aquaduct
  • The Muramasa statue near the Blue Water Reservoir is moved into the Hall of Balance.
  • A new Muramasa shop is found underground before the dual Thunderbolt Worm fight.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Aquaducts music is so good :allears:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
A problem I feel I've been having for Sigma is that everything looks too bloom-y. Like, when the Allen bird thing came out of the ground in Black, it was cool and it looked really neat and it feels like magic. In Sigma, that same light looks like it's been turned fuzzy and that distracts me from the wanton ninja violence. It's as though the visuals have been tweaked too hard.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dammit, between the Black and Sigma versions of that level, you've made me want to see you guys LP Shinobi PS2 and Nioh after you do Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2.

But yeah, I agree that even though Nioh plays fairly differently from Ninja Gaiden it should absolutely be a learning experience for Team Ninja in the future for any future projects that aren't Dead or Alive or Extreme Volleyball. Even the upcoming DLC for Nioh seems like a response to feedback and criticism of Nioh, like a lack of weapon types and enemy variety which is being directly addressed by the DLC. So if they could do similar betas for Ninja Gaiden 4 like they did with Nioh, which I think will be inevitable at some point, I'd say there's a good chance it'll turn out well and it'd help reestablish trust in Team Ninja again.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Dammit, between the Black and Sigma versions of that level, you've made me want to see you guys LP Shinobi PS2 and Nioh after you do Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2.

But yeah, I agree that even though Nioh plays fairly differently from Ninja Gaiden it should absolutely be a learning experience for Team Ninja in the future for any future projects that aren't Dead or Alive or Extreme Volleyball. Even the upcoming DLC for Nioh seems like a response to feedback and criticism of Nioh, like a lack of weapon types and enemy variety which is being directly addressed by the DLC. So if they could do similar betas for Ninja Gaiden 4 like they did with Nioh, which I think will be inevitable at some point, I'd say there's a good chance it'll turn out well and it'd help reestablish trust in Team Ninja again.
I've been brainstorming a lot on what other games I want to LP besides the obvious follow up to this one. Shinobi and Kunoichi/Nightshade's been up there for a while, but in the wake of Nioh, Onimusha's also been on my mind. Samurai and Ninja games kick rear end, clearly, and we need more of them.

And I think the most impressive thing about the way Nioh shaped itself by taking player feedback is recognizing the feedback that actually helped form the game as they envisioned, and not letting petty complaints or requests muddle the whole thing. The director of Nioh even talked about this post-launch and how during the Alpha and Beta there were players that wanted the game to not have the mission structure that it does, or take out stuff like Ki Pulse and Stance Switching, basically players that wanted the game to be way too much like Dark Souls. Listening to your fans too much is how you end up with something like DOA Xtreme 3 (a sad popularity contest determined by otaku), and on the other end committing to your own ideas without listening to others is how you end up with Ninja Gaiden 3 (A Japanese hamburger for the West, as Hayashi put it after seeing the initial response). Nioh strikes the right balance, and I'm hoping that balance is maintained as the first major DLC comes out this week with the PVP mode and everything else.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The worst chapter of Ninja Gaiden Black is upon us, but thankfully the boss fight of this video is moment where the game kicks back up as we begin to enter the final third of Ryu's journey.

Spear Gun
An auto-reloading spear gun. It is not very useful out of water.

A weapon designed only for this chapter, and frankly can be easily skipped if you so want as the aquatic enemies of this chapter are easily disposed of with the Dragon Sword (hell, it's not even acquirable in the environment on higher difficulties). It also maps to the X and Y buttons for attacks, even though it's a projectile weapon which is just plain bizarre. At the very least, the game's auto lock on system does wonders for making this kinda gimmicky weapon work, so eh.

Fauna

Reptile Fish
The new enemies for this chapter only. They always swim in a circuit around the body of water they're assigned to, and so long as you aren't directly in their path, they can't harm you. Thing is, they swim faster than Ryu can, so going in for a melee kill is dangerous as the most reliable means to connect is to play chicken with them. Well, maybe not directly head on, going at a frontal angle is best, but directly head on leaves you liable to get chomped on for a fair amount of damage.

Bosses

Doku
The reason for Ryu's revenge in this game, Doku can finally be faced in this chapter and as you would hope, he is one of the better, fondly remembered fights of this game. He follows a lot of the same principles as Murai in that he moves slowly and his attacks are especially dangerous. However, while a single combo from him isn't always likely to mess you up, the opening on dealing damage to him is tighter and even when he's taking hits he'll still power through with attacks of his own. It's a challenging back and forth where I don't even mind having to chug elixers to keep going. It's that good of a fight.
  • When starting at a distance, Doku's very likely to throw his sword, the Kitetsu, like a boomerang that actually does damage on the return trip, so staying directly in front is ill advised after blocking the first hit.
  • The other attack he'll trigger at long range is an easily telegraphed shockwave where he prepares to thrust his sword into the ground. The hitbox of the shockwave itself is large, but is brief enough that a forward jump can easily clear it.
  • As the range gets closer, Doku can perform a charge attack, not unlike Murai's own version back at the start. Of course, this also has the same disadvantages for him as it leaves a relatively large window to deal damage. Baiting this move is a good strategy for dealing safe, consistent damage.
  • When up close, Doku's got a variety of strikes to keep you on your toes. He'll perform a simple 2 hit strike or a single upper slash. But his most devastating is a 5 hit auto combo that is easily distinguishable by the colored waves that come off his body. Each hit will always guard break but can be dodged through, so waiting for the final strike to dodge through than attack is the second best means to deal quick damage.
  • Lastly, Doku has a grab of its own, and anyone who first experiences it is sure to become enraged at what it actually does. Doku will impale Ryu and siphon his health into his own, undoing a lot of the effort you'll put into taking him down. This is however mitigated by mashing furiously on the buttons to get off, which can prevent him from taking any health, or at the very least a sliver. It is a move that should absolutely be avoided at all costs, but even if you fall for it, it's not the end of the world.

Maps

Kunai Scrolls

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Doku got buffed a lot in Black. I recall that fight being a complete non-event in the original NG.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The worst chapter in Ninja Gaiden 1 receives a signficant update in its design that, if it didn't feel so separated from the rest of the game's core, ends up being kind of interesting.

Zarkhan Moat
  • The beginning of the moat is modified to remove the puzzle involving the owl's eye and door combination.
  • The first major underwater tunnel is filled with spike traps that jut out at various intervals.
  • The cavern with the Save Statue removes the room that requires the gold and silver medallions. Consequently, those items are now gone from the chapter
  • New fish fiends are present to highlight water running combat
  • The fnial area of the moat now contains a little island in a large water filled arena, accessed through a door on top of the winding water tunnel across from the sunken ship.
Zarkhan Stadium
  • Doku's boss theme, much like every major boss in Sigma, is altered.

Fiends

Gilldabl
These fish looking fiends with the weirdest loving names are one of the purely new additions to Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and for my money the least offensive. They only exist for this chapter, and can be easily dealt with by firing mid air projectiles, or if you want to be fancy try and attack them with the Dragon Sword while running on water. They can be knocked onto land, but only briefly, as they can fly above the ground or surface of the water before choosing to dive back down. But really, the one thing that makes these okay in my book is that you can Izuna Drop them into the water, and that's loving AWESOME!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

This LP has focused primarily on showing the differences between the two best versions of Ninja Gaiden, Black and Sigma. However it's still important to recognize the very first version of the game released in 2004, as even before being perfected in Black the game was critically very well received. It may be surpassed, but there's some interesting features or artifacts that make it worth checking out for curiosity's sake.

And yet, even with the 20 minutes of highlights I got from this version for the video, that still isn't enough to cover the rest of the major topics of this version, so after watching be sure to read more for interesting info pertaining to things like Team Ninja's online support (yes, online, but not multiplayer).

The Features Left Behind
While Black keeps the original game intact while adding a bunch of new stuff, there were some features or systems that were totally altered or left to the wayside. These including:

The Ninja of the Future: While Black features a ton of alternate costumes for Ryu, this one was ditched for reasons that I'm pretty sure Team Ninja at the time agreed on. Mainly it looking incredibly tacky. The only other place you'll see this outfit is in DOA2 Ultimate, a full remake of Dead or Alive 2 as part of a collection of the first two games for the OG Xbox. That version is actually where the DOA series began to incorprate whatever Ryu's current Ninja Gaiden outfit was at the time into the DOA series, so you'll see the Legendary Black Falcon, the classic Ryukenden outfit, and yes, Ninja of the Future. At least in Black the Dragon Sword gets reskinned into the Plasma Saber, but that eventually becomes its own weapon in subsequent versions, so not everything about the concept is thrown away. Just the lovely outfit.

The Armlet of Tranquillity and a Cursed Sword: A seventh armlet only available through scarab rewards, this regenerates your health by about 2 hit points per second. Of course, it's effect in combat is pretty minimal since damage can stack really fast, but outside of those instances, this can negate the need for elixers if you're that patient or don't care about getting a good time at the end of a chapter. Why does it exist then? Because of a feature pertaining to a weapon that we will see in action once Ryu's journey resumes in the main playthrough. Basically Doku's sword, the Kitetsu, had a feature where your health would be drained, at about 2 hit points per second. You can probably see now that the Armlet's primary purpose is to negate the health drain entirely. Still, at the expense of using any other armlet, it is kind of pointless, so the armlet was not only removed, but the health drain from the Kitetsu was removed as well. That said, it's other unique traits are left intact, so it still remains a pretty cool sword.

Ninja Ryukenden: Obviously Ninja Gaiden was a name familiar with many prior to this incarnation, all the way back on the NES as a trilogy, which was originally called Ninja Ryukenden in Japan (whereas the modern NG games in all territories are just called Ninja Gaiden, meaning Japan does not have to worry about confusion about who's talking about which games). During the main playthrough, you can unlock all three original games and access them from the main menu. These games are taken as they were from the SNES Trilogy release, which were at the time not majorly updated in anyway, but still play as you would expect. A nice feature that these versions have is that you can input button codes at the continue screen to access specific acts in each game. But no manual save states, not like more modern retro game rereleases tend to do.

That said, these would not be brought into Ninja Gaiden Black, as Itagaki wanted to instead include a classic Ninja Gaiden game that had not received any home version prior: The original arcade version. Although it's more of an arcade beat 'em up and not Castlevania inspired sidescroller like the NES games, and as a result I'm not nearly as fond of it. But still, it was included largely because Tecmo had never tried to bring it to home consoles in its entirety. So if you're curious to play the game (legitimately, of course), there's either hunting down an arcade machine, unlock the game in Ninja Gaiden Black, or buy it through the Wii Virtual Console.

Successive Play: Ninja Gaiden, unlike a lot of other Character Action games, tends to not allow carry over of upgrades and weapons across playthroughs. The playthroughs are clearly designed around being played and completed starting from nothing. However, the vanilla version lets you save your completed save and start at the beginning again. Most of your stuff is reset, and the difficulty can't be changed, but you retain your golden scarabs. What this means is that upon reaching the first Muramasa shop, you can get some extra elixers, upgrade items, and the Armlet of Tranquillity. Honestly, when I first heard about "successive play" I was somehow expecting a more substantial new game plus kind of setup. But this ends up feeling kinda superflous, and it being removed in Black and onward is something I don't mind. Heck, Ninja Gaiden II on the 360 brings back Successive Play in a way that feels way better designed, as you not only get all your weapons at the start, you can choose to retain your upgrades or not, at the cost of being able to post your karma score to the leaderboards.

The Master Ninja Tournament
The Original Xbox pushed online support for video games pretty hard when the system introduced Xbox Live a year in, and the service had been used in a variety of ways. Online multiplayer was obviously the big reason, while other games opted for free, bite sized bonus content or additional levels and the like. Ninja Gaiden's use of online on its surface was to provide leaderboard functionality, but the Master Ninja Tournament offered so much more during its first year. More importantly, it was lay the foundation for creating the perfected version of the game that is Ninja Gaiden Black.

Simply put, from the main menu you could access a menu option that required an Xbox Live Gamertag. At the start, this is where you could see your ranking as well as everyone else's on the leaderboard. It was also through this feature that Team Ninja held contests to see which players in the major territories (America, Europe, and Japan) could get the highest karma score. These were held in rounds, with the first one simply being who could get the best scores in the base game.

But it's what came afterward that really made the game interesting, adding more life to the product and seeing Team Ninja devote time and effort to further refining what is ultimately a single player experience, the type of game that would normally be left untouched while a proper multiplayer mode would receive this type of support. The Master Ninja Tournament would continue through two pieces of DLC Content called the Hurricane Packs.

Hurricane Pack 1: Ninja Gaiden Remix
Team Ninja's first major DLC push was to put out a harder, remixed version of the game. Now, in Ninja Gaiden Vanilla, whether or not you played on normal, hard, or very hard, the campaign stayed largely the same. Item locations and enemy placements were untouched. There was no remixing the same way that Devil May Cry did it for the action genre. Hurricane Pack 1 rectified that, introducing a ton of new enemies, weapon, item placements, and costumes that made their way into Ninja Gaiden Black on the disc. But one extra addition to this piece of content would remain exclusive to the Hurricane Packs, and unfortunately forever lost to time save for the few bastards out there that still have their saves.

The Intercept Maneuver.

Basically, if you're familiar with abilities like Royal Guard in DMC3, or Moon of Mahaa Kalah in Bayonetta, this is Ninja Gaiden's version of that, in fact predating both of them as the first Hurricane Pack released in August of 2004. Pressing Block right as an enemy hit connects will not only deflect the attack, but put Ryu in an overwhelming advantage as he can immediate go into an attack of his own. And I don't mean like the counter attack that's already in the base game, I mean you can transition straight into a regular combo. And wait, it gets better. If essence is nearby when you perform the Intercept, pressing Y will treat it like an On Landing UT in which the essence is immediately absorbed and you'll go straight into the attack. So why was it removed? If you're familiar with how the games play, you can already guess based on what I've described.

Enemies in Ninja Gaiden are at their most vulnerable when they are during an attack animation, as there's no defensive property to those animations. It's esspecially true for bosses, and if you can perfectly intercept those attacks during, say, Murai's fight, that fucker will have no chance as you hit him during recovery. Now granted, precision timing on these kind of moves still makes it hard for players to get a grasp on, but in the right hands it's a game changing move that does undo a lot of the strategy that comes from playing the game. That said, I wish I could have tried it myself and I still lament to this day not having an OG Xbox prior to the Xbox Live shutting down for that system. Would've added more to the video that I put together for this update.

Hurricane Pack 2: The Eternal Legend
A month later, the Master Ninja Tournament itself came to a head after 2 rounds that Team Ninja held a Finals Competition at the Tokyo Game Show that year, where the top scoring players from the three territories got to play an entirely new combat level by the developers, with each player competing for the title of "the One True Ninja." You can watch a summary video here where the competing finalists faced against waves of tough enemies from the first hurricane pack, along with two completely new bosses. As it turned out, this piece of content was not just going to be for the finals, but rather would be playable days later on peoples consoles.

The content from Master Ninja Tournament Finals was actually a portion of a major combat guantlet called The Eternal Legend. Completely separate from the main game, the basic plot is that Ryu must fight through waves of enemies in the fiend realm to resuce Rachel who's been imprisoned in carbonite (seriously, she's imprisoned in like a stone slab or some poo poo) by the Ancient Twin Fiends Nicchae and Ishtaros. Now, while Ninja Gaiden Black onward has the mission mode where fights have to be finished in one go, Eternal Legend is far different due to the length and variety of the challenge. The mode is separated into 5 rounds, and between each players can save their progress and spend essence at Muramasa's shop to upgrade the specific weapons and items of their choosing. This content at the minimum takes somewhere around 45 minutes, so the save checkpoints are quite nice to have.

Now, while it's not a total game changer like the first hurricane pack, this one still served as a nice addition as people who had likely been playing Ninja Gaiden since release had already got everything they wanted out of the campaign. Many players, myself included, tend to reach a point where the only thing left to test their skill and ability is to double down on combat and providing new challenges that push those skills further. Ultimately, this addition would serve as the basis for the Mission Mode in future versions, as it encompasses everything hardcore players want out of the game: It's strongest elements distilled to be as pure as possible.

------

And there's your history lesson from a guy who completely missed the opportunity to play it during its heyday. But it's still a fascinating thing to look at as far as post launch support for a game with no competitive multiplayer or other persistent online features. Now while this emphasized a lot of the stuff left out of Ninja Gaiden Black, most of it still exists in future versions and the post game updates will go into far more detail. For now, it's all about finishing the main game from here on.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, this takes me back. I was around for the hurricane pack stuff, but I was really bad at the game. Real bad. You speak about cheesing the final boss with flying swallow, and I can confirm: it's nigh-effortless to beat the boss with the technique. When I got Black, then I had to learn how to play the game properly and not cheese my way through it. That was fun.

Black really was an improvement to the original Xbox title.I really wish I could play it again, honestly.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Doku was one of the banes of my existence in this game until I learned that I could just cheese the hell out of the fight with the Dabhilaro ultimate. Once I learned to cheese that fight there was no going back.....

...I mean, I'm a ninja. gently caress honor.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

It's almost over. This is the last time we have to play as Rachel, but the game makes sure we go through a future area that she honestly has no justification for visiting, as well as an unwinnable boss fight that the game later insists is winnable in Mission Mode.

Earrings of Celerity
Allows the wearer to charge Ultimate Techniques more quickly.

You already know what this does. I've used it on Ryu already. I barely used it on Rachel if at all. I just have this in the update for completion's sake.

Earrings of the Moon
Increase the wearer's defensive power.

Seriously, what else do I need to say?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I remember looking in mission mode, and seeing this fight. I tried it exactly once to see if the developers decided to be slightly nicer about the fight than in the story.

They were not.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

We enter the third act of Ninja Gaiden as Ryu takes a detour into not-Hailfire Peaks as we try to discuss relevant topics about the game in the face of devolving further into weird nonsense. Guarantee by the second to last chapter the both of us are going to be delirious while Ryu continues to efficiently murder everything in sight.

Kitetsu
Moveset
The weapon used by Doku, it is a cursed Japanese sword that feeds on the souls of those it slays.

This weapon serves as a nice replacement for the Dragon Sword if you're looking for a higher average combo counter per fight. Back in Ninja Gaiden Vanilla it used to drain your health and required you use the Soul Bind move to siphon health from enemies, and it didn't even have upgrade levels back then. Now it's a proper weapon here, with a lot of the essential moves intact with some new tricks based on what Doku used during his fight. That said, it's not gonna be worth using till the end of the game due to a late game weapon that surpasses it, so it's only worth using for this chapter and most of the following.

Fiends

Fiendish SAT Soldier
With Fiends running more rampant, transformations in Tairon have picked up as well, turning these former SAT soldiers into some annoying bastards. Their movement speed is way faster than Ryu's running speed, and they're largely unpredicitable with regards to choosing to simply hit or grab Ryu once in range. Meeting them offensively is the best tactic, which is quite different from how these enemies were fought back when they were human at the start of the game.

Bosses

Yotunfrau
An ice based Fiend with a somewhat odd design, Yotunfrau is on the lower end of threatening bosses during the game. He's got the standard amount of attacks you'd expect plus a command throw, and the game will throw him at us again near the end game a la boss rush.
  • Yotunfrau has a punching attack that varies between multiple hits and is semi-tracking. The variation in the number of hits is based on how long you're still standing in front of it, so dodging to the side or behind will cause it to stop around 2, but remaining in front can have the attack last up to 5 punches. They're slow enough that being guard broken by each one isn't an issue.
  • One of Yotunfrau's ice based attacks involves using its breath to summon a line of ice shards to erupt, similar to Paz Zuu's laser. The difference is that they only go in a forward direction and have no other variations.
  • The second ice based attack leaves Yotunfrau completely invincible as it pounds the ground to summon ice shards wherever Ryu is standing. Naturally, being on the move is the best way to avoid these.
  • Lastly Yotunfrau has a grab move that is easily telegraphed by it spreading its arms outward before closing in front. Easy to see coming unless you get yourself caught in a long combo screen, in which case the penalty is a lengthy grab animation.

Inferno Worm
It's the goddamn Electric Worm with a fire ring projectile instead of an electric bolt. It's the same boss regardless.

Smaugan
12 chapters in, and the game decides that we should have an actual Dragon as a boss fight. Despite the design of the arena it's faught in, the upper platforms are where any signficant damage can be done to Smaugan within a reasonable amount of time.
  • Not really an attack, but Smaugan will periodically roar which will cause two sections of the lower platforms to be raised up by lava, which acts as an alternate means to get to higher ground.
  • Smaugan can emit a spherical shockwave that is extremely difficult to get past unscathed. If you're hit, it sends you flying, but if you block it you take chip damage. Instead you must dodge roll right before the shockwave reaches Ryu, taking advantage of the iframes present at the beginning of the animation.
  • Smaugan has a horizontal fire breathing attack it'll also use, and dodge rolling through isn't very effective so it's better to do a forward jump/wallrun against the invisible foreground wall to overcome it.
  • Smaugan's hardest move to react to is when it snaps its neck forward to bite Ryu and attempt to eat him. This is the move that can make fighting it with the Unlabored Flawlessness tricky, as this move is more than enough to give you a Game Over or use up a Talisman.
  • In the end, Smaugan will tire itself out at random points and rest its head down on the platform your standing on, which is where you can deal the most damage to it at a given moment.

Maps

Kunai Scrolls

Archives

quote:

Saru's Diary

February 3rd
Everyone here trembles in fear. We witnessed a person
turning into a Fiend. What is happening in this place?
Even a Ninja as experienced as myself has no hope
against these beasts...

February 10th
I have discovered that the mastermind behind the plot
to steal the Dark Dragon Blade is none other than the
Holy Vigoor Emperor. Like our master, the Emperor must
also be plotting to do something with the Blade...

February 12th
What a disaster...the Dark Dragon Blade is cursed. I
have been defeated, not by the enemy, but by that curse...

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Another run through the Caverns of Ice and Fire with some decent discussion about what should or should not be removed when making an updated re release of a classic game such as this. All while taking a nice hot lava bath to prepare for smacking a big dragon in the face with a paddle.

Zarkhan
  • The lever/platfrom puzzle in the stadium automatically solves itself and opens the way out of the stadium once the first lever is pulled
  • The door leading to Tairon at the base of the stairway is blocked, delaying the cutscene with Muramasa until next chapter
Caverns
  • The pieces of Iron Ore in the fire cavern area are removed, requiring the pot of melted ore be tipped once you reach it.
  • The save statue has been moved from the room locked by the Cog of Vigoor to the same area as Muramasa's shop.
  • The section locked behind the Cog of Vigoor is now a single room arena for the Inferno Worm fight.
  • The fight with the Inferno Worm is now against two of them, but both share the same life bar.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

One of the best chapters in the game, we revisit an old place, obtain the most significant weapon in the Ninja Gaiden series, and take on what I'd say is the most challenging boss in the base game. Also we create another time paradox.

True Dragon Sword
Movest
The legendary ultimate form of the Dragon Sword, achieved by fitting the Dragon's Eye into it.

The only weapon in the game that can go up to level 4, and can't be earned any earlier than this point. As always, the new moves added aren't plentiful, but what's there is very useful, between two new ground combos, an updated form of the 360 UT, and an entirely new UT that quite simply triggers all the pleasure centers in my brain in just the right ways. It's just so loving cool looking.

Fiends

Fiendish Vigoorian Soldier
A reskin of the Ghuls all the way back in Chapter 6, this is what happens to the Vigoorian Military troops. Unlike the SAT Fiends, they're big, slow, and have a ludicrous amount of health that it takes multiple UTs from any weapon to take them down. Thankfully, the Drawbridge Square is the only location they're fought in the game, and there's a reward for taking the time to kill them if you're so inclined.

Bosses

Awakened Alma
In my opinion, the hardest boss of the original version, and one of the most exhilirating to fight. Awakened Alma follows the same core rules as her regular version, but with less holes in her defense and some new abilities of her own.
  • She still has her multi-energy orb and pillar projectiles so that is unchanged, but she also can charge up a single, powerful energy blast that fires extremely fast. In a sense, this replaces her Flying Swallow type maneuver since her new body wouldn't make it work, and the moment right before firing is often a good chance to nail a Flying Swallow on her.
  • When on the ground, her centipede-like abdomen lets her move around extremely fast, in contrast to her slow ground movement initially. The flip side is that because her new monstrous body she doesn't have her ground combos and leg hold, instead simply charging right into Ryu.
  • Her vortex command grab is replaced with a different move where she swings her abdomen upwards to scoop Ryu off the ground and squeeze him. Much like the original grab attack from the first Alma attack, this is the most devastating to look out for.

Maps

Archives

quote:

San's Diary

January 30th
I have gathered some new information. According to the
ancient legends of this place, "He who offers the lost
stone tablet to the Twin Serpents may gain entrance to
Zarkhan." The tablet, now apparently split into three
pieces, is said to have been scattered throughout Vigoor.
I was able to learn the locations of the pieces:

One is at the Twin Serpents Plaza in Tairon.
One is in the Archive in the Monastery.
One is near the Stone Circle in the Magma Cavern.

I must gather the fragments and then begin my approach to Zarkhan.

February 5th
I'm hungry...

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
PSWII60, I am morally obligated to give you poo poo for not playing MGR. That said, I am really bad at this boss fight. I usually end up using up all my talismans just to get through it.

Unfortunately, up soon is exactly what everyone remembers what they hate. Those loving fish...

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Chapter 14 I will be sure to leave the proper disclaimers and trigger warnings for everyone.

Also a heads up, there's gonna have to be another week break after the Sigma version of this chapter goes up, as I'm gonna be out of town this weekend for a family reunion and won't really be able to work on editing the next batch as a result. But as next month hits, it'll be straight to the end game and hopefully not too long after, the post-game content.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, neat. Have fun, dude. Teach one of your younger relatives to run up walls and laugh as they fail to do so.

Yes, I'm a horrible uncle, why do you ask?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

We anger a possibly omnipresent merchant with our sharp throwing stars before taking a slightly different retread through familiar territory. And finish it off with a par time on the boss that never in my life prior to this moment I had achieved.

Tairon
  • The cutscene at Muramasa's shop can finally be triggered now that Ryu gains access back into the city.
  • You can peg Muramasa with shuriken until he dies and gives a game over. This technically can be done as early as Chapter 4 but I forgot to show it then.
Hayabusa Village
  • When warping to the village from the Twin Serpent Plaza, Ryu will spawn at the circle near the graveyard, acquiring the True Dragon Sword almost immediately.
  • Following this, enemies spawn in the village for you to fight.
  • The stone circle that Rachel exited through in her chapter is still active.
Zarkhan Pyramid
  • There is now a save statue right before triggering the Awakened Alma fight
  • The chapter ends right after the Awakened Alma fight, pushing the Pyramid interior to next chapter.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

bman in 2288 posted:

PSWII60, I am morally obligated to give you poo poo for not playing MGR. That said, I am really bad at this boss fight. I usually end up using up all my talismans just to get through it.

Unfortunately, up soon is exactly what everyone remembers what they hate. Those loving fish...

I will graciously accept this poo poo I have been given.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's maddening how you managed to barely get par time on that Alma fight. Knocking her down is such a crapshoot that I had completely given up trying to get those times. And good use of the koutestu, by the way. I never managed to really vibe with it in my playthroughs.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Watching this Let's Play gave me the idea to boot up NGS2 because I was all like "oh hey I never beat that one on hard...."

What.....a loving....mistake. Just reminds me of why the first NG is so superior. I haven't cursed so much at a game in years. Mother loving years.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

UnSmith posted:

Watching this Let's Play gave me the idea to boot up NGS2 because I was all like "oh hey I never beat that one on hard...."

What.....a loving....mistake. Just reminds me of why the first NG is so superior. I haven't cursed so much at a game in years. Mother loving years.
Well of course it was a mistake, you were playing Sigma 2. It didn't have the Itagaki stamp of approval :v:
...nah, even with that it still didn't help save the original NG2 from its major issues. Such unfulfilled potential that game had.

Anyway, just checking in from the family reunion hoping you all are having a good day/Memorial Day weekend. Certainly wish I was back home though, not necessarily to keep working on the LP, but more because getting sick right before leaving to go on vacation's the worst timing in the world.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

When I first saw the ghost fish that were in the game, they just kind of floated around near Ryu and they didn't do anything. I looked at the guy who worked on this and I said, "What is this; what's the point?" And he said it was "for atmosphere." I said, "This is an action game. You can't just put something in there for atmosphere that is taking up memory and disc space. You either take it out or make it an enemy and do what I say because this is an action game." That's how that enemy came into being. I felt it was ridiculous to have an object in an area where there are no other enemies.
- Tomonobu Itagaki

Ghost Fish are present in this video. You have been warned.

Fiends

Ghost Fish
Every Ninja Gaiden player's most despised enemies, Ghost Fish move fast, fly at Ryu from every angle, and will latch onto and bite him for health. And what's worse is that every Fish acts indepentently and can cause huge losses in health just because they don't stop coming in all directions. Even when you mash out of their grip, they'll still home in at the first sign of their being any vulnerability. But there's one important trick to beating them, and that is the Flails.

Ayane mentions them in her scroll as the game intends for it to be the most efficient at disposing of them, but even when you finish a full combo the nearest ghost fish will just start the cycle of pain all over. But the trick to beating them is to start a combo but do not finish it. Rather, you cancel out of it with a jump, press X to swipe at all the ghost fish coming at you (they cannot grab you midair, thank god), and upon landing, mash that attack button again and repeat till dead. Soon, the most annoying and potentially hyper lethal enemies go down with ease and produce a ton of essence due to the high hit combos generated in each encounter. That's all it takes. Simple really.

Bosses

Spirit Doku
Doku's got one last fight in him, but without his physical body. He retains almost all of his original attacks, and moves quickly across the arena due to being a spirit. He is pretty much fought the exact same way, but you'll likely get more consistent hits in as his defense is slightly weaker. Lastly, he loses the ground shockwave and flame breath moves in exchange for a new grab attack. Sometimes instead of throwing his sword like a boomerang, he'll throw out his other arm to grab you from any distance, and then pull you to him for a devastating combo. It can be saved though, if you get grabbed hammer on the buttons to break free from his grip. And that's pretty much all the major differences.

Maps

Kunai Scroll

Archives

quote:

Gen's Diary

January 14th
I have arrived in Vigoor in search of the Dark Dragon
Blade, leading a group of my comrades.

February 18th
I have succeeded in infiltrating the Imperial Palace.
I must accept that my comrades have all been slain...
except for Dai, yes, he must certainly still be alive.
I am sure he is hurrying to meet me at this moment,
with the key to the Palace Core firmly in hand. I must
join up with Dai as soon as possible, then plan our
attack on the Emperor.

February 29th
While it may be true that the Dark Dragon Blade is
formed out of dragon bones, one ofthe greatest
delicacies of the ancient world, our master's plan to
grind it up and use it for his herbal tea is ridiculous.
Of course I cannot tell anyone this, and therefore I
must take this laughable secret with me to the grave...
If we are forced to die for such goals as this, our Black
Spider Clan will not last much longer. The Vigoor Emperor
will gather his power and become a Devil on Earth,
enslaving the human race for millenia to come...

I have not been able to contact Dai, but it does not
matter. His fate must be similar to mine...

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Screams uncontrollably at the ghost fish.

edit: This Doku fight sucks on higher levels because of one specific thing.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 13, 2017

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
There's nothing worse than when the ghost fish bite and Ryu drops to the ground. Blasted fish.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Those loving fish (well, not these specific ones, but their brethren in a later level) were the closest I came to dying on my no-death playthrough back in 2004. Horrible creatures. :argh:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
PSWII60, you're on thin ice, friend. How thin it is depends on your answers to these questions: which Berserk anime did you watch, and how tolerable did you find it?

Also, Nth-ing the ghost fish. Every time I think about those fuckers, I wanna punch a fish. Or set them on fire. Or both.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It was the older one. Unless there's more than one older one at which point I'll look up the date. I did really enjoy it but I don't really understand how anything is still alive in that world after the ending. I would like to see more of it but I don't really have time to read a series that long, the older anime doesn't have any more episodes, and I'm definitely not watching the newer one after seeing what I saw of it.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

ArclightBorealis posted:

When I first saw the ghost fish that were in the game, they just kind of floated around near Ryu and they didn't do anything. I looked at the guy who worked on this and I said, "What is this; what's the point?" And he said it was "for atmosphere." I said, "This is an action game. You can't just put something in there for atmosphere that is taking up memory and disc space. You either take it out or make it an enemy and do what I say because this is an action game." That's how that enemy came into being. I felt it was ridiculous to have an object in an area where there are no other enemies.
- Tomonobu Itagaki

:patriot:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

It was the older one. Unless there's more than one older one at which point I'll look up the date. I did really enjoy it but I don't really understand how anything is still alive in that world after the ending. I would like to see more of it but I don't really have time to read a series that long, the older anime doesn't have any more episodes, and I'm definitely not watching the newer one after seeing what I saw of it.

This is an acceptable answer, but I'm sorry to say that the only reasonable way to learn what happens next is to read the manga. All I can say is that the 1997 anime (the one you watched) ends in one HELL of a cliffhanger. Pun intended.

It's okay to take in the story slowly, there's a lot of details to appreciate.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

All I can say for myself about Berserk is I stopped right before the start of the Golden Age arc of the manga when I was told that Guts was still stuck on that boat for almost a decade (this was around early 2014). And even though he's off now (is he? I can't even remember) I'd rather not commit to picking it back up until I know for sure Miura's gonna finish that story before dying from Idolm@ster overexposure or whatever else has made him go on hiatus so many times.

Anyway, LP related news, I have now finished recording all the post-game content for Ninja Gaiden Black!
...The combined footage is between an hour and a half to two hours long. After editing.

Christ, I greatly underestimated what an endeavor this would be right at the very end. And this doesn't even factor in the poo poo I'll have to show from Sigma.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ArclightBorealis posted:

All I can say for myself about Berserk is I stopped right before the start of the Golden Age arc of the manga when I was told that Guts was still stuck on that boat for almost a decade (this was around early 2014). And even though he's off now (is he? I can't even remember) I'd rather not commit to picking it back up until I know for sure Miura's gonna finish that story before dying from Idolm@ster overexposure or whatever else has made him go on hiatus so many times.

Anyway, LP related news, I have now finished recording all the post-game content for Ninja Gaiden Black!
...The combined footage is between an hour and a half to two hours long. After editing.

Christ, I greatly underestimated what an endeavor this would be right at the very end. And this doesn't even factor in the poo poo I'll have to show from Sigma.

They're of the boat, and things are currently happening™. As for whether or not Miura is gonna finish before he dies... yeah, I don't know.

LP-related, stoked about finishing up this game. Really wish I had a working copy of NGB do I could play along. This was a super-great run of this game, in my book.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Ghost Fish are also in this video. As well as a higher difficulty enemy that shows up just long enough to get counter attacked to death because the director must've found them too hard originally. Thanks Hayashi.

Zarkhan Pyramid
  • The chapter starts immediately after the Awakened Alma fight, outside of the Pyramid.
  • The Pyramid interior is changed to a single room, removing the tablet puzzle
  • The Vigoorian Berserkers are introduced in this area
Labyrinth
  • Bast Fiends are introduced in the area near the chest with the Key of the Lion
  • Near the chest with the Key of the Lioness is a Muramasa's Shop

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So I've noticed that at the very top of the screen, at the edge of your videos, there's some orange thing just sitting there, standing out from the dark-blue sky. It's very distracting. Could you fix that?

• Locked thread