Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It gets back to pacing, really. If Rescue Mission actually had a good density of new and interesting content in all eight of those worlds, then it might be worth playing. But there's only so far you can stretch the vanilla tileset, and of course adding new powerups is extremely difficult. Which means those eight worlds would devolve into "navigating a bunch of samey-looking corridors, knowing that there can't possibly be anything interesting in most of them".

Relatedly, to my knowledge, the only new powerups that have been developed for Super Metroid are a) turning walljump into a powerup. b) letting you equip all five beams simultaneously (it's broken as gently caress, mostly because the damage is ludicrously high). c) boost ball like in the Prime games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It gets back to pacing, really. If Rescue Mission actually had a good density of new and interesting content in all eight of those worlds, then it might be worth playing. But there's only so far you can stretch the vanilla tileset, and of course adding new powerups is extremely difficult. Which means those eight worlds would devolve into "navigating a bunch of samey-looking corridors, knowing that there can't possibly be anything interesting in most of them".

Relatedly, to my knowledge, the only new powerups that have been developed for Super Metroid are a) turning walljump into a powerup. b) letting you equip all five beams simultaneously (it's broken as gently caress, mostly because the damage is ludicrously high). c) boost ball like in the Prime games.

That's the thing though, Rescue Mission actually has custom tilesets added to the game but they really don't do anything to enhance the gameplay. And each world basically only uses one tileset so even with the custom stuff you get right back to what you said with the whole game feeling samey and dull. Add to that four different Ridley fights and four Golden Torizo fights just to pad out the game's length and yeah it's just a slog. It was a clear-cut case of sunk-cost fallacy on my part but I'd spent hours playing it already so I may as well finish the drat thing.

As for custom powerups, your list is nearly comprehensive. One hack allows for controllable shinesparking by pushing L/R to move up and down while in the air. Another more recent hack actually has a fully functional Spider Ball implemented into the game, but the powerup doesn't have a publicly available patch and to complicate matters, the author is Japanese, making communication difficult. Id' love to see some new powerups some day but I have a feeling all the people who are capable of making new powerups are still slowly working on the hacks they've been making for the last five years or longer. These hacks take way too long to make if you want a high quality game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On that note, let's go back to a game that does have a good density of variety to its setting. Perhaps too dense, really.

Part 6: I'm Going to Blow This Planet Up

This video includes my favorite powerup puzzle and my, uh, "favorite" random bit of scenery. Oh yeah, Kraid's in it too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, if I knew poo poo about programming, I'd love to try my hand at a Super Metroid Hack. I've had a few ideas that would be doable with the engine and god knows I need a project to fill my downtime.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That fleshy statue is such a weird and unsettling piece of scenery. In any other game it would feel completely out of place but it works here because all of Eris is so completely alien in design.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, if I knew poo poo about programming, I'd love to try my hand at a Super Metroid Hack. I've had a few ideas that would be doable with the engine and god knows I need a project to fill my downtime.

Thankfully, it doesn't take too much outside knowledge to actually make an SM hack. You just need a general knowledge of what a pointer is in programming and how to use a hex editor. The real challenge is just motivation and time commitment to make the hack since it's such a large undertaking. Getting the patch that repoints the graphical tilesets and palettes also helps immensely.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On that note, let's go back to a game that does have a good density of variety to its setting. Perhaps too dense, really.

Part 6: I'm Going to Blow This Planet Up

This video includes my favorite powerup puzzle and my, uh, "favorite" random bit of scenery. Oh yeah, Kraid's in it too.
I'm with Samus. If I had to do that, I'd want to blow up the planet, too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I tried playing Mission Rescue and holy poo poo I got stuck right after getting the missiles.

EDIT: Morphball requires you to chase a missile so it hits a door. This ROM Hack is loving stupid.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 20, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Ever wonder what Mario would look like if it had a much more serious story?
Well wonder no more.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 01 - The beginning

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Somehow, I had forgotten that stuff like this exists.

So effortful, and yet...so janky.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That romhack looks awful and I think I hate it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Somebody capable of adding Bubble Bobble, Hammer Bros Suit, and Tanooki Suit powerups to Super Mario World obviously has at least some talent as a romhacker. It pays to know that coding talent doesn't necessarily equate to game design or writing talent, though, which is information the designers of this hack could have used. The plot is painfully edgelord (the last thing a Mario game needs is multiple character deaths). The level design seems kind of bland and "kitchen sink", without a unifying theme. Also, they apparently managed to gently caress up SMW's controls somehow, unless that was the result of you playing on a keyboard with some odd key bindings. I prefer a gamepad for emulators, personally; I use a PS3 controller.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Ever wonder what Mario would look like as a 4:3 game stretched to 16:9?
Well wonder no more.

(I'm interested in future videos but oh god please stop stretching to 16:9)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We're back and going to ice world, which apparently is a world of autoscrollers.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Doseku posted:

Well wonder no more.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 01 - The beginning

Heh, Scorpion's hacks always gave me a "stay the gently caress away" vibe from the very beginning.
A lot of drama surrounding that guy and his hacks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
To be fair to FPZero, Bluing is a thing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Olesh posted:

Ever wonder what Mario would look like as a 4:3 game stretched to 16:9?
Well wonder no more.

(I'm interested in future videos but oh god please stop stretching to 16:9)

Yeah, please don't. It never looks nice to see content stretched like that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Heh, Scorpion's hacks always gave me a "stay the gently caress away" vibe from the very beginning.
A lot of drama surrounding that guy and his hacks.

Tell us more please. :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doseku posted:

Well wonder no more.
"Mature" stories in fangames and ROM hacks involving family friendly franchises never fail to be incredibly boring, instead of the provocative game that they're always made to be by their creators. Check the Pokemon Uranium and Pokemon Reborn threads for some cringeworthy examples.

Another thing I'd like to point out: consider using closed captioning for your commentary instead of in-video dialog that gets in the way of the action.

Kurieg posted:

To be fair to FPZero, Bluing is a thing.
I know he had a brain fart, but "blue filter" exists and is used in every big-budget Hollywood movie these days. That's what was going on in the first part of the first level.

Icy Ravine had a good concept but it really overstayed its welcome.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Tell us more please. :allears:

I'm not about to trawl through 10 years of SMWC history digging for drama. :shepicide:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The trial and error gameplay encouraged by that line guide level is atrocious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's really disappointing too because there were some really cool segments in there. If they had toned down some of the crazy stuff it would be an awesome level.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Before we go too far into Scorpion's history, I'd like to mention that I've recently spoken with him in Discord and he's a pretty chill dude. He's fully aware that his old stuff was awful and what's going on here is that I believe he decided to just update some of his old stuff to more recent standards. Also, go back 10 years and I guarantee you'll find all sorts of embarrassing poo poo on SMWC for anyone you look up, myself included. People change over time. :shrug:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for the input. I have no good reason for why I stretched it out and that won't be happening again.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

Also, go back 10 years and I guarantee you'll find all sorts of embarrassing poo poo on SMWC for anyone you look up, myself included. People change over time. :shrug:

The good people do. Some people don't, unfortunately

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

We're back and going to ice world, which apparently is a world of autoscrollers.

Too much "whoops you retroactively hosed up" in that last level for my tastes. Didn't remember to bring a block with you? Jumped onto a fall-platform (whatever those are called) too early? You're now dead, you just have to wait a little longer before you can restart. I mean, you don't have to wait long, it's not like discovering at the end of a level that you should have brought a springboard from the beginning of the level, but it's still kind of rude.

Also, yay, you're back! :v:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I recognise the song in the 2nd level but I can't quite name it. Anyone know it?

Also tyty, update your lp and i'll update midori

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Do you mean the Carol of the Bells, the famous Christmas song?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yes. I try to avoid Christmas songs as much as possible but even I've heard that one. Just didn't know the name,

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Mysticblade posted:

I recognise the song in the 2nd level but I can't quite name it. Anyone know it?

Also tyty, update your lp and i'll update midori

Mantis42 posted:

Do you mean the Carol of the Bells, the famous Christmas song?

More specifically, it's a version of the song from Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995. I can't believe the era of making holiday special editions of games to promote the real deal is dead.

Also, it looks like the reason the switch position changed is that the previous area required you to hit the switch to a certain position by the end of the entire segment, but the default position of the switch between lives and starting levels isn't the same. if they added one more switch to hit before it ended, the second area would be consistent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cheez posted:

More specifically, it's a version of the song from Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995. I can't believe the era of making holiday special editions of games to promote the real deal is dead.
There was Jazz Jackrabbit, Lemmings, and... what else?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Tyrian had a whole Christmas mode if it was near Christmas.

:siren: ALERT: Christmas has been detected :siren:
Activate Christmas? (Y/N)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was finally able to watch Doseku's video and wanted to give a little more background on Scorpion's hacks. If I remember everything correctly, the whole "Devious Four Chronicles" was thought up by him and his brother, metalgearhunter. Both of them separately registered on SMWCentral and both of them worked on individual hacks that fit into the story they crafted. Now yeah, it's a self-insert fanfiction story, but to me there's something kinda neat about being able to work on something like that with your brother. I know of only one other pair of brothers that do romhacking together but they're in the Super Metroid scene and both of them are pretty drat good at what they do. It's rare to have that sort of dynamic available at all times.

It was a bit annoying for our hack moderation staff at the time because while they were still learning and improving over time, they were also very good at producing their hacks very quickly and submitting demos to the site. There was almost always a Scorpion or Hunter hack awaiting moderation and at the time a lot of hack moderators tried to avoid playing them as much as possible just because they were long demos and often would get rejected due to some number of issues that tallied up on our rejection scale. I even moderated one of Scorpion's demos at one point and had to reject it because of an impossible-to-finish level halfway through. They certainly improved over the years, which, I presume, is why they eventually went back and revised some of their earlier hacks like the one Doseku's playing right now.

I can't speak to the quality of the story and I never really played any of the hacks myself. But I know that Scorpion's level design has definitely improved over the years (not sure if metalgearhunter still does hacks or not). If you want proof, just go back to VLDC9 Episode #21 and watch the level Triangle Ship, by Skewer, aka Scorpion. We definitely enjoyed that level.

All these years later, I'll now get to see one of his hacks without having to moderate it myself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

get that OUT of my face posted:

Not exactly a "holiday special edition" but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsV6LBUBiI

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Nights comes to mind, as does several early flash games (such as Infectionator) that made the transition into phone games or stand-alone games over time. It's notable Lemmings had multiple holiday editions, actually.

Hard to find a good list of holiday specials, but let's see... a game called Skyroads, apparently, Jetpack had a Christmas edition, and...uh, for all I know that might literally be it, but I could have sworn there were more. Ah, okay; reading a bit more, it seems christmas-themed videogame DEMOS were apparently a thing, and those are probably very poorly documented. Kind of funny how even very rare software can usually be located for download online now with trivial ease, but the poo poo that was passed out for free everywhere is harder to find because no one placed any value on it.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

New Midori update after like a month. This update's a tad big, I was feeling pretty lazy since I thought recording would take like an hour. Only took 20 minutes.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

Tyrian had a whole Christmas mode if it was near Christmas.

:siren: ALERT: Christmas has been detected :siren:
Activate Christmas? (Y/N)

It did? Man I played the hell out of that game and never found that.

Now I have to find a way to play it on my macbook.

e: omg its free on gog. Bye day.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sonic adventure had some holiday themed cosmetic DLC packs that were difficult to get due to the Byzantine late nineties internet and the way they distributed them.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

hanales posted:

It did? Man I played the hell out of that game and never found that.

Now I have to find a way to play it on my macbook.

e: omg its free on gog. Bye day.

Not only that, there's an open-source engine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mysticblade posted:

New Midori update after like a month. This update's a tad big, I was feeling pretty lazy since I thought recording would take like an hour. Only took 20 minutes.

Huh, the game shows movement growths as permanent buffs instead of, you know, the default number? Weird. I wonder why.

Maybe movement is hard-coded to each class so it can't be increased in any other way without changing it for all of the same class (Knights, in this case)? It's the only explanation I can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, the Movement stat by default is a class property. We wanted to have a prepromote Falcoknight in Awful Emblem that had 9 move as incentive to use her since she comes late but to do so we had to create a complete duplicate of the Falcoknight class with the only difference being the 1 extra move. I imagine Midori has altered this in some way considering Move has no growth functionality in the GBA titles, but my guess is that the system to show Move with bonuses already existed thanks to how they displayed the +2 Move from Boots and other bonus stats from S rank weapons so the dev just decided to use what was already in place to show the Move bonuses.

Also dang Mystic, Kyle got really screwed over by his levels didn't he? What a meat grinder of a level.

• Locked thread