Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maybe I'm forgetting all the awful things in Rotation :blush:

dis astranagant posted:

There's a bunch of side passages are that giant pain in the rear end to get out of, like the map room in the start of the game. This may have changed since the ancient version I played.

Yeah the Crateria map room is a pain, but now that I think about it the Brinstar one gave me even more trouble because it has a locked door and killing that last enemy was stupid levels of frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some rom hacks I've just kinda learned to accept that they're meant for people used to speedrunning these games and you should just watch those guys play it and appreciate the spectacle.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Lost Levels: Gloomy Gulch - (Part 1) (Part 2)

Gloomy Gulch was actually pretty solid, all things considered. Creepy Cave was way better than it had any right to be and even the Toxic Tower ripoff worked by being mercifully empty of enemies.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I totally heard Clapper.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm sure Krooks are wandering around in Squawk's Shaft. I remember them sticking to their platforms though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That wasn't Haunted Chase music, that was Krook's March! I've been lied to!

edit: Mods please change my name to Bee Jail

FPzero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 4, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, Cat o' Nine Tails variations. Exactly what we all wanted.

But wait, that colour...hmm...

Be careful if a black one appears, he has guns and time powers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Artix posted:

I don't know what the gray one's deal is, but he doesn't seem to be functioning correctly.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh boy, Cat o' Nine Tails variations. Exactly what we all wanted.

But wait, that colour...hmm...

Be careful if a black one appears, he has guns and time powers.
Sounds about right to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I still think the bonuses might be the best part of this game. Many of them are super creative and with their short and self-contained nature it rarely matters if they're super clunky. Generally, the entire game is super creative, but sometimes hampered by jank and difficulty, which is too bad. I'm honestly tempted to try it because when it shines, it shines. I think the frantic toxic tower climb without animal looked amazing, for example, and I feel the itch to try and find secrets like it's the normal game. But yeah, half of the stages or at least half their content is sadly terrible and that's tragic in a way. Romhacks!

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I think the frantic toxic tower climb without animal looked amazing

Oh, definitely. If not for the midpoint gotcha (which is clearly a bug) it would also be a decent (if slightly difficult) level gameplay-wise. Creepy Cave looked cool in that monochrome palette, and the difficulty level seemed fair in comparison to some of the levels we've seen so far. I also appreciate that they decided not to try to one-up Haunted Hall with an extra gimmick bolted on top of Kackle, instead opting for a Squawks level that'd be pretty workable if not for the weird clipping issues on some tiles.

Simply Simon posted:

But yeah, half of the stages or at least half their content is sadly terrible and that's tragic in a way. Romhacks!

There's about half of a good romhack in this, basically. It's still a better ratio than a lot of romhacks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Not really about the romhack itself, but watching this has made me realize that as much as I loved DKC1 and especially 2 back in the '90s, I can't remember a single specific level that I loved from either game. I only recall the ones that really frustrated me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rattle Battle is amazing how could you forget that

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Any roller coaster level.

E: and the ones I hated were mostly in a good way. "Man this is rough" not "this is bullshit".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

Rattle Battle is amazing how could you forget that
I actually got really stuck on Rattle Battle the first time I played the game and kind of hated it :v:. Basically, I really wasn't good at videogames for most of my childhood, Rattly felt weird to control for me (I think he still is but it makes more sense now that I figured out how his auto-hopping works), and the end stretch is kinda brutal with some nasty jumps over long pits while cannonballs and barrels are shot at you. I'd always gently caress up one jump right at the end and have to replay a decent chunk of level and it was the worst.

Of course, once I passed this incredible obstacle, I'd then get stuck for, like, years (I never owned the game, so I had to try and beat it in the periods I borrowed it from various friends) on Bramble Scramble :negative:.

I also remember playing DKC2 in a race thingy for a thread here two or three years ago and I still loving sucked at it so maybe I haven't progressed from my childhood days much :thunk:.

Regardless, the game owns a lot especially when you get to really go with the flow. My favorite passages off the top of my head are the swamp level where you jump from crocodile head to crocodile head and occasionally mosquitos, that is a prime example of that flow; Lava Lagoon, which is a pitch-perfect underwater level because half of it is NOT underwater and it's designed to make you go fast; Castle Crush because the music is amazing (it's the first level to feature Crook's March iirc and that always wowed me once I actually got to world 6) and it is an auto-scroller/elevator level that is still insane fun because it always gives you something to do instead of making you wait out boring obstacles, so I replayed it constantly just for the fun of it; and various other fun parts like most Hive levels (I love the honey mechanic more than it deserves, much like most walljump puzzles in the Mega Mans), Squitter outside of Web Woods, Target Terror and Haunted Halls (the perfect difficulty balance in each, I feel; gently caress getting the DK coin in Rickety Race though, and also all the minecart levels in DKC1, those are too hard imho)...actually, there's a lot of DKC2 that's really, really good just off the top of my head!

Now I'm a little bummed out again that DKC1 is on the SNES Mini instead because it's so, so much worse :sigh:.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Simply Simon posted:

I actually got really stuck on Rattle Battle the first time I played the game and kind of hated it :v:. Basically, I really wasn't good at videogames for most of my childhood, Rattly felt weird to control for me (I think he still is but it makes more sense now that I figured out how his auto-hopping works), and the end stretch is kinda brutal with some nasty jumps over long pits while cannonballs and barrels are shot at you. I'd always gently caress up one jump right at the end and have to replay a decent chunk of level and it was the worst.

Of course, once I passed this incredible obstacle, I'd then get stuck for, like, years (I never owned the game, so I had to try and beat it in the periods I borrowed it from various friends) on Bramble Scramble :negative:

Krem Quay in general was a big difficulty spike for me when I was a kid. Glimmer's Galleon and Slime Climb were pretty big hurdles. I remember having trouble with Rattle Battle too, but I was so into the wild ragtime jazz music that I wasn't even bothered by it :haw:

I was stuck on Bramble Scramble for a while too. It's just a tough level, I think. The next major trouble world for me was Gloomy Gulch. I find getting through Web Woods fairly challenging even today.

Simply Simon posted:

Lava Lagoon, which is a pitch-perfect underwater level because half of it is NOT underwater and it's designed to make you go fast; ... Hive levels

Now I'm a little bummed out again that DKC1 is on the SNES Mini instead because it's so, so much worse :sigh:.

I always liked the water levels in DKC2 because you get that dry land respite every now and then, while those that don't offer it tend to be Enguarde transformation levels anyway. I really like Clapper's Cavern, even though it's arguably not a "water level" because you have to walk on it to progress. The hornet hive levels are up there with my favorites too, but it's sad that only two of them are pure platforming stages.

I'm not sure if I'd call DKC1 bad, but its successor is easily the superior game in every way. It's always been one of my favorites to pick up and play through every now and then. The other two in the trilogy not so much.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 8, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Note that I also didn't call DKC1 bad ;). It's fine, I think there's been a little too much revisionism in the past years going "actually, it was never a good game, you were all distracted by the pretty graphics!!!". It does have a lot of rough edges and a super unsteady difficulty curve, so DKC2 is better, no contest.

Let's not talk about DKC3.

Wonder if there are hacks for DKC1, though? Could go either way: yes, because it's "simpler" in many ways; no, because the programming is probably even less elegant and straightforward than 2's.

EDIT: While I'm here and because I per chance just checked, AGDQ is setting up the DKC2 race right now!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The ice levels in DKC2 are also great because instead of making you do precise jumps while not being able to control yourself, they emphasize the fun part of ice physics: being able to build up speed and slide forward through the level. It was nice to see some of that again in Tropical Freeze

Honestly it's hard to come even close to listing all the levels in DKC2 I love. Even the swamp levels are great, they're fast-paced with simple but fun obstacles to scamper across. Bramble Scramble is great, Kannon's Klaim, Hot-Head Hop, Web Woods, just to name a few.

Simply Simon posted:

Wonder if there are hacks for DKC1, though? Could go either way: yes, because it's "simpler" in many ways; no, because the programming is probably even less elegant and straightforward than 2's.

Looks like there is a fairly recent one? Can't speak much about its quality but there is one there :shrug:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I tried playing the original version of that hack a long time ago and had to give up after a while. I was fully cheating my way through the game after a point with rewinds and savestates because the difficulty was just impossible to get through. If this rebalance has put the difficulty back to levels around the original then it might be worth another look. But man that original release was rough.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
DKC2 is definitely one of my top 3 games of all time. The only level I dislike (even if it’s just a little) is Web Woods and that’s because it goes on far too long. I don’t get the Squwaks hate either.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

DKC2 is definitely one of my top 3 games of all time. The only level I dislike (even if it’s just a little) is Web Woods and that’s because it goes on far too long. I don’t get the Squwaks hate either.
I hated Squawks for years because Bramble Scramble is not hard for its platforming segments...

And yes, Web Woods is too long for its own good. Red-Hot Ride could also be less tedious overall.

The speedrun just reminded me that DKC2 even pulls off wind levels beautifully.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Simply Simon posted:

I hated Squawks for years because Bramble Scramble is not hard for its platforming segments...

And yes, Web Woods is too long for its own good. Red-Hot Ride could also be less tedious overall.

The speedrun just reminded me that DKC2 even pulls off wind levels beautifully.

Squawks only gave me trouble in Animal Antics (and Rambi in the ice section) because that drat wind. I think I saw a video somewhere of someone going through that part as Squitter. That would give me an aneurism or seven

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The DKC2 levels that are burned into my brain are Red-Hot Ride, Haunted Hall, and a certain other level I'm convinced must be a collective suppressed traumatic memory, or else the level people are actually thinking about when they say they hated Bramble Scramble. I can't wait to see what the DKC2 Lost Levels creator has done with it.

File Bramble Scramble, Web Woods, and Animal Antics under levels that I vaguely remember and am pretty sure I replayed because I liked them rather than because I kept missing a bonus.

Edit: Also, Artix, I found and watched your whole DKC3 LP, and started your Tropical Freeze LP only to quit because holy poo poo I have to play this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 8, 2018

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Bramble Scramble is my favorite stage.

I feel like I'm alone here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

magikid posted:

It's objectively quite good (especially the platforming parts) but my feeling of dread is deeply ingrained, man. I also think if you have truly understood how Rattly moves then the first half of Toxic Tower is quite amazing to just ZOOM upwards through, but it's still loving Toxic Tower so it's the WORST!!!

Though I don't think it's a good stage per se. Most other vertical stages in DKC2 are far better at avoiding the usual problem of vertical stages: the long fall down when you mess up. Usually they have one-way screen-wide platforms as checkpoints of sorts (though some cannon-heavy mineshaft levels break that, sadly), or simply don't let you fall at all (Windy Well). Hell, even Slime Climb as a direct comparison - a vertical stage which doesn't make you redo things when you fall, it just kills you - is better for the semi-checkpointing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For whatever reason those dragonflies rocketing up and down at mach 3 are just about the funniest things I've seen in this romhack so far.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

magikid posted:

Yeah, while not necessarily my favorite it is a really solid level.

gently caress guys I really want to play DKC2 again now thanks.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I did forget about Red Hot Ride. That's probably the one level I genuinely don't like at all.

Honestly, DKC2 balanced the gimmicky levels with the straight up platformers really well. DKC3 on the other hand, went waaaaaaaay overboard with the gimmick levels

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Artix posted:

Lost Levels: Gloomy Gulch - (Part 1) (Part 2)

Gloomy Gulch was actually pretty solid, all things considered. Creepy Cave was way better than it had any right to be and even the Toxic Tower ripoff worked by being mercifully empty of enemies.

At last, you admit the dark and terrible secret, the true War Crime!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
After the madness that was Hunters Revenge I think it's time to go to a simpler romhack.
This one doesn't do too much to change things but it does do a couple things such as add color, add a new character and some new mechanics.
Super Mario Land Two DX: Episode 01 - Tree Zone

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doseku posted:

After the madness that was Hunters Revenge I think it's time to go to a simpler romhack.
This one doesn't do too much to change things but it does do a couple things such as add color, add a new character and some new mechanics.

This hack looks super cool.

Just a note: Spin jumping and carrying koopa shells are both features of the original game.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Its sort of nice to see a hack that succeeds at modest goals as opposed to being an ambitious trainwreck for once.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Spin Jump was definitely already a feature of the original Mario Land 2: https://www.mariowiki.com/Spin_Jump#Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Doseku posted:

I'm glad you're playing this because this game was one of my favorites as a kid but I forgot all about it. This really takes me back. How do I remember all the music just from a few chords?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm glad you're playing this because this game was one of my favorites as a kid but I forgot all about it. This really takes me back. How do I remember all the music just from a few chords?

https://youtu.be/XvoGVcpTRFc?t=6m42s

The funky star song.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ahhhh. :unsmith:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for letting me know. I'll attribute that mistake to the fact that I haven't played this game for years and forgot everything but a few key points and possibly a couple bosses.
Anyway today we investigate why Mario has a giant robot of himself on his private island.

Super Mario Land Two DX: Episode 02 - Mario Zone

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Doseku posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll attribute that mistake to the fact that I haven't played this game for years and forgot everything but a few key points and possibly a couple bosses.
Anyway today we investigate why Mario has a giant robot of himself on his private island.

Super Mario Land Two DX: Episode 02 - Mario Zone

Ah right, that weird pointless autoscroller level that you never even have to enter... I'm kind of glad there's a hack like this, since Mario Land 2 is really one of the most unconventional Mario platformers. I believe there's hardly ever two levels that use the same tileset.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 16, 2018

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the antics of a giant pumpkin and find our first secret exit.

Super Mario Land Two DX: Episode 03 - Pumpkin Zone

I do agree that this is kind of a unique game for Mario in many ways. It's one of the few Mario games that kind of has an open world that can be explored in any order. Most other Mario games and even Wario games past this one are quite linear even with maps at least until the 3D era.
This is the only one that has a kind of hover jump ability which doesn't get seen again until the New Super Mario brother series with the helicopter hats. Bowser is nowhere to be seen and instead we get Wario who if you read Nintendo Power was bullied by Mario for who knows how long. In many ways it's a big step up from Super Mario Land 1. My only complaint so far is that the music isn't as good as the first. It all seems so barebones with the exception of a few stages. But it kind of makes sense since so much was thrown into this game to make it bigger than the first and there's only a limited amount of space on a gameboy cartridge, so something had to give.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Doseku posted:

In many ways it's a big step up from Super Mario Land 1. My only complaint so far is that the music isn't as good as the first. It all seems so barebones with the exception of a few stages.

The music has massive nostalgia value for me but I have to agree. A lot of it is also over-reliance on a single lietmotif. It's a good one but there's only so much you can do with it. The Pumpkin Hill music seems especially boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So we recorded K. Rool's Keep today. It went...uh, poorly. To the tune of an hour and 45 minutes. Now, I am merciful and will not subject you to four videos of me failing over and over and over on terrible stages...unless that's what you want. Don't let me kinkshame or anything, just checking to see if anyone wants the raw, unfiltered experience before I have to render them twice.

• Locked thread