Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

edit: There's a new LP that was posted on the last post of the previous page. Go check it out!
---------
I can't watch because I'm on mobile for a few days and mobile youtube has no annotations but I should inform you of something if you're unaware. Youtube is planning to do away with annotations soon in favor of those "cards" and "end scenes" they offer. Except that neither of those allow the functionality of annotations. I don't know when exactly they're removing the ability to create them but you may need to think of a different way to do your subtitles since annotations won't be viable soon. (videos with existing annotations won't see the messages be removed; you just won't be able to add new ones to any videos.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are they doing away with subtitles, though? Because that's a different feature entirely.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, these aren't annotations, they're subtitles. They're separate.

Anyway yeah looks cool, I haven't seen Eris before. The designer really went ham with the alien planet thing though.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 1, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

I can't watch because I'm on mobile for a few days and mobile youtube has no annotations but I should inform you of something if you're unaware. Youtube is planning to do away with annotations soon in favor of those "cards" and "end scenes" they offer. Except that neither of those allow the functionality of annotations. I don't know when exactly they're removing the ability to create them but you may need to think of a different way to do your subtitles since annotations won't be viable soon. (videos with existing annotations won't see the messages be removed; you just won't be able to add new ones to any videos.)

Thanks for the heads-up. That really sucks for the annotations, especially since there's a number of cool "games" people have made on YouTube, implemented via clickable annotations.

I'd be extremely surprised to see subtitles go away though, since Google makes big noise about making their stuff accessible to everyone, and subtitles are a vital accessibility feature. That said, I've fixed the terminology used in my "fake OP".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know, people say DMantra's hacks are supposed to be really good graphically, but it always just looks like he fucks up palettes and slams tiles together to me. I mean, look at the palettes in Eris for the non-lab sections. It looks like he just changed colors on some of the tiles without any regard for why certain brightnesses were where they were. The constant use of random tiles to make statues and trees doesn't take into account tile cutoffs, so it just looks like a jumble. Over use of fog types, oversaturation of foreground tiles...

His layouts may be inventive, but it's hard to really parse what you're looking at in his hacks.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if they did take away subtitles. For the longest while it wasn't available on mobile devices. Heck annotations still aren't available on mobile devices. Though I wonder how cards are supposed to replace annotations.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

You know, people say DMantra's hacks are supposed to be really good graphically, but it always just looks like he fucks up palettes and slams tiles together to me. I mean, look at the palettes in Eris for the non-lab sections. It looks like he just changed colors on some of the tiles without any regard for why certain brightnesses were where they were. The constant use of random tiles to make statues and trees doesn't take into account tile cutoffs, so it just looks like a jumble. Over use of fog types, oversaturation of foreground tiles...

His layouts may be inventive, but it's hard to really parse what you're looking at in his hacks.

Yeah, since I don't really pay a lot of attention to romhacks (this thread is fun and good though!) I'm not familiar with his work outside of this video, but there's so many really monochrome areas that don't really differentiate well through contrast, and a lot of assets reused in ways sufficiently different from their original context, that I spent most of that video having no idea what was "solid" and it's really disorienting. The elevators with foreground stuff look more like morph ball tunnels, the blue stalagmites look solid, etc.

The commentary is really good though so I still very much enjoyed that first episode!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kurui Reiten posted:

You know, people say DMantra's hacks are supposed to be really good graphically, but it always just looks like he fucks up palettes and slams tiles together to me.

This is a valid complaint; there's a reason why I characterized his environments as "artistic" rather than "good". :v: The confusion about foreground vs. background is also a concern, as is being able to recognize what's a screen transition and what's just a wall.

The important thing though is that his hacks are strongly-differentiated from the many, many hacks that have extremely repetitive or otherwise samey environments. There are a lot of hacks where the only especially unique things about a given room are its dimensions and which other rooms it connects to, which makes them hard to navigate because nothing really sticks in your mind. Whereas in Eris (and to a lesser extent, his challenge-mode hack Cliffhanger) most rooms have something significant that helps them be memorable. I can actually navigate Eris without constantly resorting to the map screen to remind myself which way to go.

ArashiKurobara posted:

The commentary is really good though so I still very much enjoyed that first episode!

Thank you! I haven't tried anything exactly like this before, so I welcome constructive criticism.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 21, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let's Play Super Metroid: Eris (2012 edition)

What is it?

As the name implies, Super Metroid: Eris is a Super Metroid hack. It was created by DigitalMantra and is probably the most artistically impressive hack out there. Super Metroid has a vast tileset and effects library which has been put to some extremely creative uses here; the hack author also made numerous graphical edits, which are almost entirely seamless with the original art. The result is a highly atmospheric hack with numerous distinct and characterful environments. The hack also has a few minor changes to the game engine, the most notable being that you can start spinning in midair without having to touch ground again.

The challenge level is mostly pretty reasonable, but it can be uneven at parts, especially in the early part of the game before Samus can gear up a bit. In particular, the second and third bossfights are punishingly lethal and have limited room to maneuver. This is also a hack that expects you to have full control of Samus; you don't need to pull off any glitches, but you do need to be able to walljump and midair morph.

Finally, this is the 2012 edition of the hack. Compared to the original edition (published in 2009, I believe), some items and barriers have been moved around to tweak the item sequence, and a few small areas were added. I don't think there's a good reason to play the 2009 version at this point, in particular because it leads with a lengthy suitless underwater section.

What's the LP going to be?

This is a video LP, with subtitles showing Samus' thought processes (vaguely similar to Freeman's Mind, if not quite so deranged). Subtitles are provided via YouTube's closed-captioning/subtitles system, so make sure to turn them on by clicking on the "CC" icon (or don't, if you want a "silent" LP).

Full disclosure: I abused savestates mercilessly for this run, just to keep things going smoothly. If you like, imagine Samus dying over and over again during the aforementioned boss fights, and a few times during exploration. It happened, but I see no reason to subject you to watching Samus repeatedly walk back from the save station. You won't ever see me actually save or load state, though; that's all been excised through movie magic (read: I recorded the controller input, TAS-style, then made an encode of the playthrough).

Part 1: Eris Colony

I need more of this in my life.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Let's Play Super Metroid: Eris (2012 edition)

This is an interesting take on the game and I do like the "thoughts" as I did chuckle at a couple points so kudos to that. I do have a couple minor questions though. I saw no map. Is that a "feature" or is that an upgrade in the game? If it's an upgrade, aggravating, but you will at least get it at some point while as a "feature" it would make me not want to play it period. In these kind of games, a map is critical for exploration and backtracking for collection acquisition. Second, did you set the game to hard or is the hack auto hard? I ask only because I know getting only 2 missiles per tank is a hard mode thing and well, you took hefty chunks of damage from normally annoying/mildly dangerous monsters.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

While I don't remember the map thing off the top of my head, the missiles thing was all the rage for a while in Super Metroid hacks. Apparently the idea of Samus becoming a walking death tank made the game seem too easy to a lot of hackers, so they decided to severely limit the amount of missiles and poo poo you got.

Additional things that were everywhere for a while included: enemies who did fucktons of damage, including on contact; enemies immune or super resistant to normal shots, so you had to use missiles or shoot them like fifty times; mandatory "hell runs" in Norfair before you got the Varia suit, generally timed so you would only barely have enough energy to make it to the recharge station, provided you didn't get hit or lost momentum; underwater sections pre-Gravity suit that had jumps and such that forced you to make them almost pixel perfectly; breakable/passthru blocks that didn't respond to the X-Ray visor; and broken save systems that meant the game just assumed you were using save states all the time and thus building difficulty around that.

Eris 2012 has a lot of that stuff removed for balance, thankfully, and people seemed to let up on that poo poo, or at least made "Easy-type" versions of their hacks that weren't bullshit. Go play the original Super Metroid Redesign, or DMantra's old Super Metroid Cliffhanger, though, if you wanna see all pretty much all that poo poo in abundance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ben Kasack posted:

This is an interesting take on the game and I do like the "thoughts" as I did chuckle at a couple points so kudos to that. I do have a couple minor questions though. I saw no map. Is that a "feature" or is that an upgrade in the game? If it's an upgrade, aggravating, but you will at least get it at some point while as a "feature" it would make me not want to play it period. In these kind of games, a map is critical for exploration and backtracking for collection acquisition. Second, did you set the game to hard or is the hack auto hard? I ask only because I know getting only 2 missiles per tank is a hard mode thing and well, you took hefty chunks of damage from normally annoying/mildly dangerous monsters.

There is a map, it comes up if you hit start, and we'll see it a few times during the run. It's just not visible as part of the HUD. I kind of question its utility in this hack though, as the entire game is packed into a single "zone" and there's very little unused space. Consequently the map is a mishmash of blue rectangles that all might connect to other blue rectangles but probably don't. Later hacks upgraded the map screen to show doors, but this one doesn't have that functionality.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Go play the original Super Metroid Redesign, or DMantra's old Super Metroid Cliffhanger, though, if you wanna see all pretty much all that poo poo in abundance.

Redesign's rebalancing update, called Axiel Edition after the goon that famously LP'd it, was still pretty harsh. Drewseph (the hack author) was on as a guest commenter in at least one episode and they talked about a few of the design decisions he made and the things that can be improved on.

I played through Axiel Edition last year and it was still more of a huge chore than it was fun.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Redesign's rebalancing update, called Axiel Edition after the goon that famously LP'd it, was still pretty harsh. Drewseph (the hack author) was on as a guest commenter in at least one episode and they talked about a few of the design decisions he made and the things that can be improved on.

I played through Axiel Edition last year and it was still more of a huge chore than it was fun.

Definitely, but the fact that it was still a substantial improvement despite being a little of a chore should tell you how hosed things used to be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Definitely, but the fact that it was still a substantial improvement despite being a little of a chore should tell you how hosed things used to be.

I played the original Redesign back in 2008 or so. I got burnt out at the Draygon battle but honestly don't remember much different about it apart from the ridiculous suitless Norfair damage race you have to do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What I mostly remember about Redesign is that it's ridiculously gigantic. The author invented extra lock-and-key mechanisms just so they could pad out the world, with the net result being that it takes ages to get from anywhere to anywhere else. Then they stuck a bunch of Chozo statues that you have to find to unlock Tourian, like the artifacts in Metroid Prime except there's no hint system to tell you which room to look in.

The physics engine was also tweaked, making gravity substantially stronger, the morphball roll much more slowly (coupled with a crapton of morphball mazes), and walljumping was made into an upgrade...and when you get it, it only works on specially-designated walls.

I played until the Lost Caverns, which is a Lost Woods-style maze (a room with four exits that all loop indefinitely) that you have to navigate in order to find Phantoon. For some reason that was my breaking point, rather than the many points before that that were also frankly rather bad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I do like how visibly distinct the areas are, but is the entire hack this bad in terms of foreground occlusion? It seemed like every other room had some giant thing in the foreground obstructing the screen, and it looks like practically every powerup requires finding which parts of the "walls" are actually just fake foreground objects. When I saw what you had to do to find even the bombs I laughed out loud.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Eris is extremely unique when it comes to its visuals but that comes at the cost of visual clarity. Sadly, clarity send to take a backseat to making a weird alien aesthetic. It's a super cool aesthetic and I think DMantra nails it but when playing the hack, there is an unfortunate amount of occlusion, you're correct.

Someone mentioned that the palettes are not great in places. Back after the hack released in 2009, I remember talking with DMantra about them. He didn't seem interested in fixing up the palettes then and didn't make any updates with the 2012 release either. I remember opening up the rom in the editor and attempting some palette fixes on my own time just to see what could be fixed, but never made it very far. Turns out the weird palettes often allow for the alien aesthetic he pulled off.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What I mostly remember about Redesign is that it's ridiculously gigantic. The author invented extra lock-and-key mechanisms just so they could pad out the world, with the net result being that it takes ages to get from anywhere to anywhere else. Then they stuck a bunch of Chozo statues that you have to find to unlock Tourian, like the artifacts in Metroid Prime except there's no hint system to tell you which room to look in.

The physics engine was also tweaked, making gravity substantially stronger, the morphball roll much more slowly (coupled with a crapton of morphball mazes), and walljumping was made into an upgrade...and when you get it, it only works on specially-designated walls.

I played until the Lost Caverns, which is a Lost Woods-style maze (a room with four exits that all loop indefinitely) that you have to navigate in order to find Phantoon. For some reason that was my breaking point, rather than the many points before that that were also frankly rather bad.

The newer version is definitely better, but it still has massive issues. Tourian is loving bullshit, with the fifty thousand little morph ball paths you have to take. Plus there are a few things you have to shoot to turn off the death beams that, if shot in the wrong order, will just loving reset themselves with no indication you hosed up. It's not fun.

Mzbundifund posted:

I do like how visibly distinct the areas are, but is the entire hack this bad in terms of foreground occlusion? It seemed like every other room had some giant thing in the foreground obstructing the screen, and it looks like practically every powerup requires finding which parts of the "walls" are actually just fake foreground objects. When I saw what you had to do to find even the bombs I laughed out loud.

That's sort of DMantra's thing. If I wasn't a terrible person who would abandon it five minutes in, I would do a quick LP of Cliffhanger Easy Type, just to show it. I'd like to temper this stuff, though, by saying they're not BAD hacks, they're just kind of ugly. I feel like a lot of the art could be fixed with some palette changes. I'm too lazy to do them for the gently caress of it though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hmm I don't know... The hack looks really noisy, cramped and unclear about what is what (floor, foreground object, empty space, etc). It's very messy and several of the palettes don't look too great.

e: beaten, I guess this stuff is redundant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Incidentally, if you're curious about Super Metroid hacks, probably the best place to find more info and downloads is The "Completed Stuff" subforum on Metroid Construction. Each hack has a thread where you can download the patch, read reviews, and ask for help if you get stuck. Here's some quick overviews of more notable hacks:

Cliffhanger: DigitalMantra's previous effort, intended as a "challenge" hack (think the more infamous SMW hacks and you're on the right track). There's an "easy" variant that removes most of the spikes and acid and so on, but it's still quite hard and suffers from a lack of adequate signposting, so you'll spend a lot of time wandering.

Phazon: play as Dark Samus! Has some neat environments including an "ocean", and I don't remember it being too punishing or badly-designed.

Hyper: a pretty decent hack that's mostly notable for making fairly substantial engine tweaks, so you can respin in jumps, speedboost in morphball, trigger Samus' damage animation at will as an ersatz backflip, combine the Spazer/Plasma beams, etc.

Rotation: it's normal Super Metroid, just rotated by 90 degrees. Was run at AGDQ 2017.

Super Zero Mission: notionally a remake of Metroid Zero Mission in Super Metroid, but is mostly just a Super Metroid hack that's thematically inspired by MZM. The maps are too big and the way to proceed isn't always terribly obvious, but it has the best Tourian I've ever played.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There's also a rando (linked to in the randomizer thread I've linked previously), but honestly I think the appeal of Super Metroid is mostly in watching people speedrun randos, at this point, especially when they're racing.

Incidentally, the FF6 Beyond Chaos guy's working on a FF4 rando now, which might be amusing when it's more featureful.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The original edition of the Romhackeria had an LP of Redesign. It's chock-full of bullshit, some of which hasn't even been posted about here (the mandatory water part of Maridia with no Gravity Suit, the entire escape sequence after Mother Brain, probably more). Eris looks tame by comparison so far, but it still has the 2-missile upgrades.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

get that OUT of my face posted:

The original edition of the Romhackeria had an LP of Redesign. It's chock-full of bullshit, some of which hasn't even been posted about here (the mandatory water part of Maridia with no Gravity Suit, the entire escape sequence after Mother Brain, probably more). Eris looks tame by comparison so far, but it still has the 2-missile upgrades.

There's a new edition of Redesign out that's supposedly easier. http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've played a little bit of Eris and drat does it love punishing exploration in the early game. I restarted a good dozen times before bombs just from taking morphball tunnels that proved nigh impossible to get back out of.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Isn't one of the things in Redesign that it forces you to run through large parts of Norfair without the varia suit? I know that was a really bad bit of design in one of these hacks, but I wasn't sure which one it was from.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

XavierGenisi posted:

Isn't one of the things in Redesign that it forces you to run through large parts of Norfair without the varia suit? I know that was a really bad bit of design in one of these hacks, but I wasn't sure which one it was from.

As I stated before: multiple hacks did it, along with Gravity-less Maridia. The idea was essentially "make these suits more of a reward by making you deal with the hazard beforehand", but it usually ended up being "hinder the player for an extended period of time and trade fun for frustration".

Also, it kinda confuses me how it seems like no one has swapped the suit order, giving you Gravity first to make water areas navigable, and then Varia later for fire and lava. Or even reskinning the "hot" areas into ice or something and making the Varia suit help against extreme conditions like cold as well. I mean, Fusion did it. At this point, I'm pretty sure ASM patches would let you swap Gravity and Varia, and there are a variety of other environments you could have them protect against instead of the same fire/water duo.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 2, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The new version of Redesign turns the suitless sections into optional speed strats but the other paths sound long and annoying.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, it kinda confuses me how it seems like no one has swapped the suit order, giving you Gravity first to make water areas navigable, and then Varia later for fire and lava.

The Gravity Suit as implemented in Super Metroid is a near-total replacement for Varia; if you have it you take no damage from heat rooms or lava (which Varia doesn't protect against), and you take even more reduced damage from enemies and hazards compared to Varia. The only exception is that Mother Brain's rainbow beam is only mitigated by Varia; if you don't have it then you'll be taking 6 tanks of damage instead of 3. That's literally the only reason it's picked up in speedruns, which grab Gravity early.

Doing the swap as you propose would require the hacker to change basically all of that, or else Varia wouldn't really be an upgrade when you find it. Unfortunately, ASM hacking in Super Metroid is not very advanced compared to other games. I'm not saying it couldn't be done; obviously it could be. But nobody has yet.

dis astranagant posted:

I've played a little bit of Eris and drat does it love punishing exploration in the early game. I restarted a good dozen times before bombs just from taking morphball tunnels that proved nigh impossible to get back out of.

That's odd, I don't think I've encountered something like that. It'd have to be a morphball tunnel that drops you down a gap that's only 2 or 3 tiles wide; anything taller and you can jump into a midair morph to get back up it. Can you describe the areas you ran into that were giving you trouble?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, it kinda confuses me how it seems like no one has swapped the suit order, giving you Gravity first to make water areas navigable, and then Varia later for fire and lava. Or even reskinning the "hot" areas into ice or something and making the Varia suit help against extreme conditions like cold as well. I mean, Fusion did it. At this point, I'm pretty sure ASM patches would let you swap Gravity and Varia, and there are a variety of other environments you could have them protect against instead of the same fire/water duo.

It's because Gravity Suit, when obtained, gives the player all the benefits of Varia Suit too. Even if you never had Varia, you will suddenly be heatproof. There's a patch to separate the effects now but I don't think any major hacks have taken advantage of it yet, or if there are some they have not been released yet.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

FPzero posted:

It's because Gravity Suit, when obtained, gives the player all the benefits of Varia Suit too. Even if you never had Varia, you will suddenly be heatproof. There's a patch to separate the effects now but I don't think any major hacks have taken advantage of it yet, or if there are some they have not been released yet.

Oh, I know, but what I mean is just that it's taken so long for anyone to get to this point of even trying it. Regardless, though, a simple reskinning of the areas that Varia protects against could be interesting, but no one seemed to bother with that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
slowbeef has a video up of "conker's high rule tail"
doesn't sound like he likes it

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hemingway To Go! posted:

slowbeef has a video up of "conker's high rule tail"
doesn't sound like he likes it

Yeah I'm gonna need someone to bite the bullet and LP this because :stare: doesn't even begin to cover this trainwreck

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

They're all short! But also good. This is pretty indicative of Mountain World (with one exception).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

They're all short! But also good. This is pretty indicative of Mountain World (with one exception).

I was really digging Coconut Ruins, I was bummed when it just kind of up and quit :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are people given their level's theme world when they enter or are the levels categorized after the fact?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In some previous years the themes were assigned but for vldc9 people were able to make what they wanted and the categories were made after the fact.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's odd, I don't think I've encountered something like that. It'd have to be a morphball tunnel that drops you down a gap that's only 2 or 3 tiles wide; anything taller and you can jump into a midair morph to get back up it. Can you describe the areas you ran into that were giving you trouble?

There's a lot that dump you into spaces where you have a ceiling about half your height above you and that's all the room you have to make your midair morph. Probably not impossible but I'm not a machine.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure you can go under 100 seconds multiple times in vanilla with the time-boosting berries from the final Special World level.

E: Yeah, the green berries in Funky. This video's not great but it shows it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIAEoAlSc8Y

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So now we know the FP in FPzero stands for Football player

• Locked thread