Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: Beyond Chaos: Let's Randomize Final Fantasy 6! :siren:

What is this?

Using the Beyond Chaos randomizer, I'm going to bring havoc and destruction to the Final Fantasy 6 you may or may not already know and love. Not only am I utterly destroying it, but I am also then going to attempt to play through it! More specifically, what this randomizer does is it changes nearly every aspect of the game. Playable characters have been swapped around, they have weird starting equipment, they have weird battle commands, enemies have been shuffled around, treasure chests and any other item pickups have all been shifted around, espers may not be teaching you the spells you expect them to, etc. You name it, it's probably not going to be what you expect it to be. Just about the only things that remain unaltered are the major player NPCs, so Kefka is still Kefka, General Leo is still General Leo, so on and so forth. Assisting me with the more in-depth technical details that I should be sharing are Demerine and FeyerbrandX.

When can we expect updates?

I want to try to post one update a week, but I'm also juggling a lot of things at the moment, so bear with me if I miss a week. Also, video lengths will vary somewhere between twenty minutes to just shy of an hour.

I want to try this out!

You totally should, it's real fun! Follow that link put up there to get the randomizer itself, and if you want to follow along with this specific playthrough, you can input this seed: 62..1486343094

I, uh, am not too sure of the formatting of that seed, actually. It may just be 1486343094, but Feyerbrand seems to have gotten it working with the extra crap in front of it too, so hey! Do whatever works!

Table of Contents

In addition to my own series of videos that make up the main content of this LP, co-commentator FeyerbrandX will also be chronicling the things I miss as I blunder through the game I thought I knew. His screenshot mini-updates also happen to be an invaluable source of information that everyone should keep an eye on.

liquidy's video content

Episode 1 - I Have Amnesia!
Episode 2 - It's Not a Happy Place
Episode 3 - R-Nuke it From Orbit
Episode 4 - Abominable Swordsman
Episode 5 - Grind on a Sasquatch
Episode 6 - Whump
Episode 7 - Not More Wild Wind!
Episode 8 - We Get It, You Vape
Episode 9 - Maybe I'm Going to Use Runic
Episode 10 - Grand Treason
Episode 11 - Everybody Doot Now
Episode 12 - Ultimas Up Your rear end
Episode 13 - Really Elaborate Forks
Episode 14 - Katana Barrel
Episode 15 - Sweet Mohawk Trix
Episode 16 - Just Like I Remember It
Episode 17 - Dat Kow Der is Ripped
Episode 18 - The Biggest Room There Is
Episode 19 - Remember the Happy Times
Episode 20 - Very, Very, Very Dead
Episode 21 - We Should Know Better
Episode 22 - Thanks, OBS
Episode 23 - 2 Speed 2 Furious
Episode 24 - Just Drink It In
Episode 25 - My Brain Won't Melt
Episode 26 - Fight House
Episode 27 - Albino Sonic
Episode 28 - Dickworm Teleport
Episode 29 - Not Here For Subtlety
Episode 30 - Hype For Nothing
Episode 31 - Are We Done Yet
Episode 32 - The Drinking Episode
Episode 33 - Jack's Back
Episode 34 - It's ????
Episode 35 - Secretly Into Beyblades
Episode 36 - Oh, It's a Rat Stack
Episode 37 - Live Free or Bum Hard
Episode 38 - My Gilgamesh Cosplay
Episode 39 - [Insert Crazed Laughter Here]

Beyond Chaos FF6 Randomizer Post-Mortem - Hosted by FeyerbrandX

FeyerbrandX's corrections, missed loot, and minutiae showcase

Episode 1 - 2 coverage
Episode 3 coverage
Episode 4 - 5 coverage
Episode 6 coverage
Episode 6.5 - 9 coverage
Episode 10 - 11 coverage
Episode 12 - 13 coverage
Episode 14 - 16 coverage
Episode 17 - 20 coverage
Episode 21 coverage
World of Ruin Roundup 1
World of Ruin Roundup 2
World of Ruin Roundup 3
World of Ruin Roundup 4
World of Ruin Roundup 5
World of Ruin Roundup 6
Kefka's Tower Roundup 1
Kefka's Tower Roundup 2

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 2 - It's Not a Happy Place :siren:

In this episode, we discover new horrors lurking on Mt. Koltz! Also, I keep talking about the seed I generated for playing on the go, and if I come across something particularly funny, I'll post it here in the thread. Without any further ado:

Mobile Seed Interlude

In this video, we saw a neat little variant in the Shadow stand-in's introductory fade to black: Interceptor was able to share the spotlight! But, I wonder.. what if Interceptor hogged the spotlight all for himself?

"That's SHADOGE...! He'd slit his mama's throat for a beggin' strip!"

Now, I may have cleaned this image up a little bit, but this actually did happen! I decided to take the time to clean out the button interface, since I felt it was a little distracting :v:. Any future mobile screenshots I may take ought to actually come out in SNES resolution, since it turns out there's a screenshot function I can use that's built into the app.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 17, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I have a feeling we'll both be :stare: 'ing at various things we missed. I had that reaction a couple times in Feyer's roundup.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Demerine posted:

So, as a part of the Beyond Chaos run with Liquidy and Feyer, I'll be handling a partyparty seed on the side. Still trying to figure out the best method of presentation.

I could have started two days ago, but I'm an idiot and didn't get the file from Liquidy.

You're welcome.

To clarify, since I don't think I've mentioned it in the thread yet: a Youtube commenter brought an interesting thing to my attention. The randomizer has a secret code you can put in! After you choose a new seed and the randomizer is asking you which flags you want to activate, you type in PARTYPARTY instead, and it'll randomize even more poo poo. Before the partyparty effect, major NPCs and the like remained largely the same, save for palette changes. Now any character sprite can go anywhere, even if they're missing specific frames from their sprite sheet. For example, morphed Terra doesn't have a ride chocobo/magitek armor profile view sprite, so if your partyparty seed happens to change all imperial soldiers to morphed Terras, they will briefly turn back into soldiers if they're riding magitek and turn sideways :v:

It also does extremely rude things to equipment. Relics no longer do what they say, and worse yet they can have effects I don't recall any relics ever having. How about a Back Guard that doesn't prevent back or pincer attacks, and also just intrinsically muddles the character wearing it? That's a thing that happened on the (new) seed I'm running on my phone.

Initially I was a little annoyed that the randomizer has a secret code to shuffle things even further than it already does. I mean, why hide a MORE SHUFFLING option when the explicit purpose of your hack is to shuffle stuff around? Now that I'm getting a better look at what exactly it can play with, I'm less annoyed. They probably could have gotten away with calling it the 'Unplayable' flag, so it wouldn't have to be a secret, but if you're trying out the randomizer for yourself I would recommend sticking with the vanilla flags.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 3 - R-Nuke it From Orbit :siren:

R-Nuke turns out to be a very fun command. Very, very fun :shepface:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 4 - Abominable Swordsman :siren:

This is a long one, folks. Hope you're ready to watch a 50 minute episode! :shepface:

I really, really wanted to apply some speedup somewhere to alleviate the video length, but the most I would have been able to do is shorten a two minute segment, which I honestly didn't find worth it. Sabin Hato's scenario doesn't really have any good cut points!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Don't red yoshis always spit fireballs regardless of what sorta koopa they grab? That would have been a good way to maintain a sidescroller shmup feeling, provided I'm remembering that right.

That alone sure as gently caress wouldn't fix that level, though. Yikes.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 5 - Grind on a Sasquatch :siren:

Alternate titles included Pop a Tent, and Cards for Grandpa!

Also I think this is the first video where I employ speedup in my videos in an attempt to cut down on tedium. It's kind of a weird line to toe, but I feel like I found a good solution. Basically, if I'm ever retreading ground, I'll speed it up and resume normal speed where I start making progress again.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

As far as I'm aware, those commands are new for the hack. Also added are W-variants, which are a lot like R-variants if they sometimes cast two things, and the second cast usually targets the party instead. I'm really happy I've only seen R-variants in the LP seed.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 6 - Whump :siren:

Early in this episode, I ruin Final Fantasy 6 forever for Demerine! Also I demonstrate my lack of knowledge about desperation attacks, we defend an Esper, and find out Zozo is tough!

How do you take your Kefkas?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 7 - Not More Wild Wind! :siren:

In this episode I learned what the 'W' in 'W Wind' stands for! Come to think of it, I never actually asked how you're supposed to know that, so, uh, how are you supposed to know that?

Also we made mention of a funny .gif. Feast your eyes upon it!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 8 - We Get It, You Vape :siren:

Special guest Keyboard_Vomit joins us as we partake in the finer arts. We're very highly cultured.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 9 - Maybe I'm Going to Use Runic :siren:

Maybe I won't! Maybe I'll just slowly start to hate GENDO. Maybe Dem and Feyer are gonna start hating me cause I might have maybe missed a chest in the Magitek Factory! Who knows! Watch the video so you can find out!

Don't mind me, I'm just gonna pull up an old quote from like two months ago or so:

oldskool posted:

Decided to (try to) play along and, uh, good luck :psyduck:

I'm kinda curious what you ran into! I figured I would have seen it by now, but there hasn't been anything mind blowingly hard in the path of progress yet.

VVV I argue that, uh, that is not in the path of progress. Merely a distraction! VVV

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 10 - Grand Treason :siren:

This week: betrayal.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 11 - Everybody Doot Now :siren:

Today we're joined by Faerie Fortune, along with the sort of chaos and various doots you expect Fae to bring with her.

I know I never really formally made Thursday my update day, but hey, sorry for missing Thursday! I should be back on my implied schedule this week.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Man, I'd hate to be the guy that has to follow that sick burn. Wait.. no, no!

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 12 - Ultimas Up Your rear end :siren:

Today, instead of having a calm chat with Espers, they actually burst out of their realm and set Vector on fire. Ladybrand destroys my sanity with humming.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 13 - Really Elaborate Forks :siren:

We talk to our enemies, break bread with them, and break our friends' spirits. Casnorf guest commentates!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 14 - Katana Barrel :siren:

Well, technically it still is a cracker barrel :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 15 - Sweet Mohawk Trix :siren:

Alternate video title: Treasure Holes. We 'explore' the Esper cave (read: I forgot whether the Esper cave was worth exploring and made a beeline for progress instead), and fall down a lot of holes. Gendo tries to make himself look cool.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 16 - Just Like I Remember It :siren:

We've got a short one today! Nine-Gear Crow joins us as we clean up various extraneous bits before making our way to the second half of the game.

edit: For the record, I don't think I ever mentioned it in any upcoming videos, but it turns out tridents are worth 1150 GP a pop

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 25, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

everyone posted:

fake mustache!

I think I'm gonna take a look at the spoiler file for that when I get home!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 17 - Dat Kow Der is Ripped :siren:

Guest commentator Ryushikaze will be joining us for the duration of the floating continent. It, uh, turns out that the Esper cave was actually located in the northern midwest of the USA? Weird.

edit: I should note that during the boss fight with Air Force, if you see the attack Fire Dance come up, you may want to avert your eyes! The wiggly background effect does not play nice with the fight background that's already scrolling clouds!

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 18 - The Biggest Room There Is :siren:

Ryushikaze joins us again as we finish up Minnesota The Floating Continent!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 19 - Remember the Happy Times :siren:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 20 - Very, Very, Very Dead :siren:

Yeah, that's right: a double update! Part 19 is a little on the short side, so I figure I could throw out a second video to accompany it. I'd like to warn viewers that the World of Ruin's overworld does not agree with the randomizer, and there is a nonzero amount of flickering when walking around. You'll see a lot of it in the second video. I'm heavily considering removing most, if not all, of the overworld travel from this point onward, mostly to save our eyes. Thoughts?

Read this after you finish Part 20: Phoenix is totally worth it ugh I have to get it. gently caress you, Gendo. rear end in a top hat gotta guard a good magicite grumble grumble

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 21 - We Should Know Better :siren:

Today we run into a mysterious, totally new to us in every way teen who identifies himself as Gerad. I think he may be mistaken, though. Shouldn't he be introducing himself as LARVI?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 22 - Thanks, OBS :siren:

Today we, regrettably, reunite with Zepeli, Demerine and I bicker, we visit Zepeli's best dead friend, and we take to the skies again in this horrible new world.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 23 - 2 Speed 2 Furious :siren:

My journey into the World of Ruin continues to have a bit of a rocky start. Maybe next video I'll actually make some significant progress :v:

Alternate video title: rear end Blaster :sigh:

Sorry for skipping a week, by the way! I could give out a handful of excuses, but at the end of the day they're just excuses. I really gotta stop letting myself get distracted by other video games I want to play.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Call me boring but I think at this point I usually just do the Maranada-Zozo-Veldt sequence that the game pushes you to do :shrug: Call me boring I guess, I should mix it up next time I play through this.

Well, I mean, same. In this specific instance, though, I wanted at least one replacement character, and fast. It just turned out to be really poorly thought out on my end!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 24 - Just Drink It In :siren:

This video has a lot of flashing lights, thanks entirely to Bum Rush and my insane desire to have 60fps SNES videos. You've been warned.

I was actually really close to bailing on Legato and moving onto other things, but I decided to give Seņor Behemoth one more shot and boy did that pan out well. We see some interesting enemy configurations, encounter Doomgaze, enter the fourth dimension, and manage to make some decent progress in general. This might be one of my favorite recording sessions.

As far as the rapid flashing lights during Bum Rush are concerned, I have a tentative solution for future videos if I can pull it off. If not, uh, probably best to assume all videos from here on out are photosensitivity unfriendly.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 25 - My Brain Won't Melt :siren:

No flashing lights warning this time! I explain it in the video, but it couldn't hurt to put it in this post, too: with some help, I've managed to convert every single bum rush into a 30 fps video clip, which will prevent any flashing at all, at best. At worst, I've seen 3 flashes happen. However, the rest of the video is still in gloriously unnecessary 60 fps! Hooray for a mostly functional fix!

As for the video blurb itself: today we learn that trying to corral a dragon is like corralling a cat, I conduct a pointless experiment, and we find a book of secrets.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Prism posted:

Edit: I did. Once again, Terra is good, but LOL at Sabin, and Cyan and Edgar just look like messes. Setzer and Locke aren't that much better.

I dunno, I kinda like goth Edgar :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 26 - Fight House :siren:

We round up a few of our missing companions, run into more of my favorite music, and make a lot of awful jokes that are followed up with awkward silence. Good stuff. There is one Bum Rush in this video that gets a little flashier than I'd hope for, coming off of the almost flawless 30fps fix. I call it out in the video itself a few minutes before it actually comes up. Just be mindful of that one.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 27 - Albino Sonic :siren:

The first few minutes of the video have a couple flashy Bum Rushes. I, uh, was not quick on the draw pointing them out in the video, so just be aware of that.

Also, Demerine outs herself as a goblin supporter.

:ssh: It's okay though because I also supported the goblin.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 28 - Dickworm Teleport :siren:

We have special guests Faerie Fortune and CJacobs this episode, and in spite of Fae's ability to derail anything, anywhere, anytime, we somehow largely stayed on topic? Don't look at me, man. I dunno how the gently caress that happened.

Rollersnake posted:

I load state... aaaand I'm back at the start of Lete River with my save file overwritten. Fantastic.

Did you call it quits there, or soldier on? I'm curious to see if you got any W - [ability] skills on future characters.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Jade Rider posted:

It casts two spells with that description in a row. Like for W-Ice, it'd cast two random ice-elemental spells/attacks. In my experience about half the time the second spell won't go off, or hits somebody in the party if it does.

Yeah, the bit regarding the second cast was what I was most curious about. The seed I was playing on my phone for a while has someone with W-Elem, and the second cast just blasts the party more often than not.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 29 - Not Here For Subtlety :siren:

Our good friend Ryushikaze rejoins us as a guest in this episode. I try to bring back 90's era phrases, a funny bit I edited into the video is drowned out and goes unnoticed by co-commentators (:smith:), and we find out what kinda weird poo poo Jean dreams about.

Alternate video title: Honor Management Issues

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 25, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

When we see Bahamut, Dem starts cackling like a loon, and Feyer emulates the loss noise from The Price is Right as best he can. They both drown out the sad trombone I'd edited into the pre-commentary version I sent them :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 30 - Hype For Nothing :siren:

In this session, we find out just how much of a slog the randomized version of the Phoenix Cave is while I demonstrate my lack of adaptability. Also, we see an old friend. No, not that one. I would never refer to that one as "friend."

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 31 - Are We Done Yet :siren:

We finish the Phoenix Cave, murder a dragon that's doing some performance art, and get our fashion on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 32 - The Drinking Episode :siren:

Sorry about the late episode! It's time for one of the worst things in the vanilla game, that was then made worse by the author of the randomizer!

• Locked thread