Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JossiRossi posted:

I initially discounted the thread because I can only handle so much "random person playing SMW hacks and getting frustrated" and was really surprised to see it actually be a discussion of level creation and design. I'm really glad I took another look and gave it a go because you two are interesting to listen to as you play through the levels.

I'm also surprised they used the term "Worst" for the first batch of levels. They are not exceptionally bad (for the most part) almost seems unfair to label them that.

Yeah, I'm enjoying the explanation about level design and various SMW game behavior (like that stuff about the Layer 3 water). These bad levels are irritating and dull at worst, which is refreshing. Part of me wants to just play this myself before FPzero spoils it all.

You guys were confused about the multiple exit levels in one of those videos. It seems the space color doesn't matter, but there are check marks in the top right corner of the screen that shows how many exits there are that turn green as you find them.

Edit: Regarding Super Metroid hacks: I played through SM Redesign Axeil a year or so ago. The map design is brilliant and some of the engine changes were pretty neat, but I don't really go to ROM hacks for the challenge so it was more annoying than it was fun.

hanales posted:

This is great. There are so many cool hacks nowadays. There's a bonus donation incentive for super metroid rotation hack at AGDQ.

Hell yes. I had a blast playing this one, though I didn't come close to finishing it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Do those SD3 and MMX music tracks even use the vanilla SMW sound library/font or whatever? Or does that even matter?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I tried out the switch palaces in this hack and I cannot figure out the puzzles at all. I guess they require arcane knowledge of SMW's glitches and engine quirks? Regardless I can't for the life of me get anywhere.

Except for the red one, that one was easy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the writing for BNW that bad? I was going to start it up fairly soon but if it has idiotic "internet humor" writing then I'm not sure if I'd want to even begin. Did the original FF6 script even need to be changed? Why do that? :psyduck:

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 1

This thread needs a second romhack and I'm a sucker for randomizers, so why not?

This randomized LttP looks pretty neat, but at this pace it seems like you'll end up with an endgame-level Link before you even enter the Dark World. I'm not sure how good that will turn out but I'll keep watching! Are you doing a normal run or are you going out of order with the dungeons?

I remember trying a Super Metroid randomizer a while back and it honestly was kind of dull. Once you get the first four or so items, no matter what they are, the rest of the game plays out pretty much exactly like the original.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's a romhack of Final Fantasy 6; just stick to the new mechanics. Why have any dialogue or plot at all? If someone doesn't already know it, there are plenty of actual LPs of the base game.

This is what I'm thinking. Also if you're going to do the whole shebang with posts that are miles long you might as well have a dedicated thread for it.

On the topic of LttP hacks, I recently tried out this one called Goddess of Wisdom after ragequitting Parallel Worlds (I still don't understand why it's so beloved). It's okay in the beginning. The overworld needs a bit of work and is kind of a pain to navigate before getting the flute, but the dungeons are pretty great. Overall it isn't impossibly hard except for that one boss battle that pits you against the Armos Knights in a room full of spikes.

And then they introduce an incredibly stupid gimmick puzzle involving dragging a statue around for 20 minutes through narrow passages just to weigh down a switch. The hack throws it at you five or so times, two of which are on invisible floors (the glass (?) tiles floating over pits that can be revealed with Ether or a torch). The very last one takes the cake, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fm6jSUrpU&t=704s

I quit after that. I don't care if I was 90% complete the game, this just isn't worth sunk cost fallacy-ing my way through the rest.

Death Zebra posted:

Wasn't the modified dialogue for Brave New World made optional at some point? *Does a half-assed Google search* Yeah it seems there is a patch called clean new world that removes the more egregious stuff.

Yeah, Clean New World is bundled with the BNW files. Maybe I misread the readme but I was under the impression that it pretty much only did stuff like replace all instances of "gently caress" with "poopy" or somesuch.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the spoiler file generated with the ROM or something?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Everyone's heard of the Parallel Worlds romhack, but how many people know about the ZC quests Lost Isle or Link to the Heavens? Zelda Classic quests have an interesting history and I've seen that the editor's functions are improving more and more with time. Scripting is now possible and has made for the ability to add new items that were never in the original Zelda 1. It's all very impressive.

Now you got my attention. I didn't realize ZC went at all beyond the first game in scope. I'll have to check these out!

Edit: Comparing them to Parallel Worlds is concerning though. PW is very technically impressive but it is absolutely atrocious to play.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also that coins level had a really cool gimmick and I can imagine how weird it must be to avoid coins. It's like its turning your Mario instincts, honed for decades, against you.

Some indie developer made a platformer based entirely around that premise. It was called Dangerous Dan or something? I can't seem to find it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 25, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

frankenfreak posted:

It's great for exactly that reason.

Now building a whole game around that sounds like the gimmick would wear out its welcome really, really fast.

The entire game can be beaten blind a few minutes.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 25, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FredMSloniker posted:

(with the exception of hitting the flagpole)

What about the time bonus? If you survive that then it's probably fairly easy to finish, otherwise it mostly becomes an exercise of patience as oldskool just showed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Good to know. I'll take a look!

Now that i think about it, considering certain recent events in both the fangame and ROMhacking communities of Nintendo games it's a wonder ZC is even still around.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You need the Master Sword to get the items from the monuments, that's why it wasn't working.

What does Sahasrahla normally give you after the Desert Palace? I'm assuming it's money? I don't think I've ever went back to see him after getting the boots.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CirclMastr posted:

He gives you boots after Eastern Palace and that's it.

But you spoke to him after the Eastern Palace and got nothing and received the heart piece after the Desert Palace :confused:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Choco1980 posted:

It randomized the pendants so that he got the desert pendant from the eastern palace, and the eastern pendant from the desert.

Oh that makes sense. Never even noticed the pendant's colors.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Parallel Worlds did get some kind of update a few years ago that redid all the terrible dungeons.

Well they missed two because that's how many I managed to get through before I realizing PW is bad :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Since no one's posted it yet, there's actually been another big update to PW, not long ago. Like a month or something.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

Apparently there will soon be a similar update to the rebalanced version from a while back, to bring a bunch of new features to that too.

Yeah, this is the version I played a couple weeks ago and it wasn't much better than the one I tried in 2008 or so.

I'd be interested in trying the Remodel but unless they fix up those dungeons I don't see much point.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

although I did like Nayru's Bay

:psyduck: It's just a handful of narrow walkways, a giant pool full of water tektites and enemy floor tiles, and a tiny cramped room of Armos Knights.

There's also a boss battle I guess but it's basically a cinematic victory because hackers never seem to realize that allowing Link to get behind Mothula allows you to kill it without it being a threat at all. Not that I'm complaining after that awful Armos Knight battle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 3
So begins the eternal quest for the Lamp.

What was in the tower chest?

Also don't forget the would-be heart piece on the east side of Ganon's pyramid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

magikid posted:

So the new version randomizes swords, pendants and crystals, but only among each other, so you can't find them in chests? What is even the point then? Especially crystals, they all have the same function anyway. Who cares if you get the Misery Mire crystal from the Ice Palace?

I hope I've got this wrong, because if there's even a chance to get an early sword upgrade and kill Moldorm faster (or not even need to) I am all over that. What an awful, awful boss.

Well you can only get the item from Sahasrahla after you get the blue pendant, but that's the only consequence as far as I can tell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think the super bomb becomes available only after collecting a certain crystal (or number of crystals?)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah, the early days of ROM Hackin-

:suicide:

And then the icing on the cake: description says it needs a ROM with the NOINTRO checksum but the sidebar says it needs a header :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

Rockman CX #1: Oh no! A rock!
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Simply Simon)

I'm glad you brought Simon along. Dude has like a PhD in Mega Man so his commentary is invaluable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

I've since been informed that the green pipe that neither of us remembered at the beginning of Midnight Arbor is actually hidden behind invisible 1-up checkpoint tiles. The game tracks if you found 1-ups hidden with them and by placing objects underneath those tiles, the objects will be revealed when the game deletes those tiles. That's ridiculously clever and I never knew something like that was possible in the 10 years I've been hacking SMW. I can give a better explanation later if anyone's still confused (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know SMW even HAD 1-up checkpoint tiles.).

Can you explain it for us dumb people because this went way over my head

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Simply Simon posted:

As far as I picked it up reading stuff in raocow's forum, it works something like this: Super Mario World has an obscure mechanic where if you pass certain checkpoints in a row without dying, the final one will spawn a 1-up mushroom jumping up out of nowhere. I don't know where and even if that was used in the actual game, but it's there. These checkpoints are objects in the game, and, much like Dragon Coins, once you collected them all, all of them vanish forever. Same is true for a moon, you get the 3-Up bonus once and then it's gone.

The thing is, you can hide objects behind other objects. If the "top" object disappears, the hidden one appears. It's been done a few times with Dragon Coins in the past, where after collecting all five and getting the 1-Up, a door spawns behind the first one or so, opening up a secret exit that can only be gotten by collecting 'em all. A rather new thing is doing the same with the 1-Up checkpoints, which are invisible, can be placed by the level creator at spots where you have to pass through, and therefore elegantly give you a guaranteed shortcut after going through a certain portion of a level. It's rather brilliant!

That's so cool. There's still so much about this game I've played to death for 20 years I don't know!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's pretty cool. I assume hiding objects with the checkpoints wasn't used in the base game at all?

Semi-related question that I've been wondering for a while: Does the base game silently use the Chocolate Island 2 gimmick in any other stage?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

As for Chocolate Island 2, no it is a unique level structure. In fact, if you want to see/edit the alternate sublevels for that level you actually have to open up the appropriate Level Address instead of just opening up the Level Number. The game just overwrites levels CF and CE, the Choco Island 2 sublevels with the appropriate sublevel depending on...coin count I think it was? Whatever the criteria was for determining the level you go to, it just subs in different levels onto that Level Number. So the pipes are always sending Mario to Levels CF and then CE, but putting different levels on the other end depending on what criteria you met.

Ah, ok. Neat!

Also the criteria are different depending on which part of the level you're in. Chocolate Island 2 has four areas: The first one is always the same, the second one has three variants depending on how many coins you have when you enter the pipe, the third has three variants depending on how much time you have left on the counter when you enter the pipe in area 2 (the first of which has the key exit; so the secret to getting it is just play through the level as fast as possible), and the fourth area has two variants depending on how many dragon coins you collected by the time you enter the pipe in area 3.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/e/e1/Chocolateisland-2.png

FPzero posted:

If we ever get to a Switch Palace (should be next session) I can hopefully explain my favorite dumb piece of trivia about this game. SMW is such a hacked together game. :v:

Looking forward to this. Couldn't figure out any of the switch palace puzzles at all, save for the red one.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 3, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

In this episode, Simon falls apart, and we find a useful upgrade.

Rockman CX #2: Super Mario Brother
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Simply Simon)

That level was kind of neat in way. I liked how everything got darker at one point, showing that you're diving deeper into the ocean. The underground castle idea is pretty cool.

Those shrimp creatures seem like a huge pain, though. Especially that spawner you were fighting.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I swear like half of LP authors here are Calgarian.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

biosterous posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to do with your life spare time if you live in Calgary?

I dunno. Herd cattle? :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are the ninji hole outlines considered non-vanilla? Would that be why it received a penalty?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

And so, today we prove our worth as The Greatest Enemy In History.

ROCKMAN CX #7: The Z-Foot
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, and Clark)

:hellyeah: Galaxy Man is one of my favorite music tracks in the series.

Having the "enemy player" go to the pause menu like that to switch weapons was pretty neat, if annoying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JossiRossi posted:

I've had a really fun time playing it, I think I've hit a roadblock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. It is a heck of a technical achievement though. Metroid: Rogue Dawn really should be given a try by anyone who enjoys metroid games.

Apparently the author plans to iron out a few wrinkles soon. I'll probably try it out then.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

It is written like an awful nerd comedy project from 2007 (lmao trans lmao doctor who lmao all your base)

This was my immediate suspicion once I saw the trailer because it uses O Fortuna for the music.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Huge variation in level qualities today.

Today's tip: Coins are generally indicators of safety in Mario, so make sure that any coin path you make for the player will be safe. The player should be able to follow that exact path and not be hit.

That fish in space level was pretty cool, but some of those jumps in the autoscroll section are bullshit.

Did you finish the space map? Wasn't there more to the left of the fortress?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

It's the last boss, and he's got a counter for savestates!

ROCKMAN CX #14: Sins
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, Combat Lobster, and Simply Simon)

:stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

A really excellent level heavily marred by one segment. It's a shame because I really liked the level overall. It probably took us just shy of 30 minutes to beat but compare it to the black and white flying yoshi level (Episode 15) and the big difference is that I was generally having fun with this level even as I was continually failing.

What was the music in that level? It sounds Goemon-esque.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What were the semicircular red and pink banners?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Trizophenie posted:

I think you're talking about those?

Yeah those are the ones! Pretty clever!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mantis42 posted:

Are you going to cover other years of this design contest? Because I'm really enjoying the Mario vids.

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing at least the first ever VLDC hack. Just as an example of how far that contest has come.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

i hate his loving stupid voice

All Canadians sound like that actually

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/Ktr4ks/status/847528051776909313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

That Sonic hack looks amazing! I knew they had broken open the whole engine but I never expected to see something like that.

So wait, it's a Sonic hack and not a Yoshi's Island hack?

• Locked thread