Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

(Banner courtesy of nine-gear crow)

Welcome back to the Romhackeria! The Romhackeria was an LP megathread from 2011 whose focus was to LP various romhacks that are out there. At the time, hacks such as Rockman 2 Min, Super Metroid Redesign, Zelda 3 Parallel Worlds and more were played for the thread and a good time was had by all. (Anyone remember Punch Donkey?) This thread is a revival of that one since there's always time and place for romhacks and there's always new ones being released.

I know of a lot of romhacks but my main knowledge of them is Mario, Metroid and Fire Emblem. There's no way I've seen them all. Please feel free to participate in the thread by contributing an LP! I only have a few guidelines:

1. Put a little bit of effort into your LP. Think about the level of effort required for the Casual LP thread and that's all I'm really asking.
2. If you want to do a screenshot LP, please use the SSLP Test Poster for your updates. The previous thread didn't allow SSLPs to be done in it just because of the space they would take up but now that we have the SSLP Test Poster, I say go for it! Just use the Test Poster and then link the update like you would a Sandcastle submission.
3. Stay away from the dregs of romhacking. There's a LOT of romhacks out there that are plain lovely, offensive, or both. Don't do hacks that fall into either of these categories. They're not entertaining and no one wants to see a playthrough of "Jewish Mario fights the KKK Dick Nazis" (I bet this hack actually exists).
4. If you want me to link your LP in the first post, make a mini-OP. I can use it to better distinguish your LP from the rest. LP "Thread Title" not required, but encouraged.

Of course, all the other LP Subforum Rules and Regulations apply here.

If you've never done an LP before, I encourage you to give it a shot! Megathreads like this are a great place to learn. Let's have some fun!

Table of Contents

Super Mario World Central's Vanilla Level Design Contest #9 (VLP) by FPzero & Tyty - Links in second post. *FINISHED*
Link to the Past Randomizer (VLP) by CirclMastr & CombatLobster *FINISHED*
Final Fantasy 6: Brave New World (SSLP) by Aerdan *Abandoned*
Super Mario RPG: Reserve_22//. (VLP) by Garbonix & Miz Kriss *FINISHED*
Rockman CX (VLP) by Heavy Sigh & many rotating guests *FINISHED*
Final Fantasy 6 Randomizer: Beyond Chaos (Double LP) (VLP) by liquidypoo, Demerine & FeyerbrandX *FINISHED*
Super Mario RPG: Axem Rangers (VLP) by Garbonix & Miz Kriss *FINISHED*
Fire Emblem Midori/Green Hack (SSLP) by Mysticblade *Abandoned*
Super Metroid: Eris 2012 (VLP) by TooMuchAbstraction *FINISHED*
SMW - The Devious Four Chronicles: Hunter's Revenge Revised (VLP) by Doseku *FINISHED*
Rockman 4: Minus Infinity (VLP) by Heavy Sigh & many rotating guests *FINISHED*
Super Mario World: Hacks 101 (VLP) by Tyty & FPzero *FINISHED*
Donkey Kong Country 2: The Lost Levels (VLP) by Artix & FPzero *FINISHED*
Super Mario Land 2 DX (VLP) by Doseku *FINISHED*
Zelda 3 Randomizer: Keysanity (VLP) by FPzero, Artix & many rotating guests *FINISHED

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SUPER MARIO 151

The Super Mario World Central Vanilla Level Design Contest (VLDC) is an annual contest on SMWCentral.net in which users participate to see who can make the best "vanilla" level. The term vanilla in the context of Super Mario World romhacks means that no resources from outside the original game are used to create these levels. The focus and half of the total score is primarily on good Level Design with the other half being made up of Creativity and Aesthetics. The numerical breakdown is as follows:

Level Design: 30 points - "Was your level fun, well built, interesting? Does the level have a good difficulty curve? Not too easy or too hard."
Creativity: 20 points - "Did you put the provided resources to good use? Did you implement a fun and/or unique gimmick? Anything that will make your level stick out amongst the crowd?"
Aesthetics: 10 points - "How did the level look? Appearance and things such as usage of decoration, map16 and custom palettes for visual improvement."

VLDC9 is the 9th annual contest and began in January 2016. The romhack is a compilation of all the contest entries with a record 117 levels with 152 exits. Compare that to the original game's 75 levels and 96 exits and you'll see there's a LOT more content here than before. The hackers over at SMWCentral even had to figure out how to add more levels to the game since it only supports up to 96 levels by default. In short, this contest was absurdly popular this year and from what we've played so far, the quality, even in the lower levels has been really good. I can't wait to get to the Top 5.

This contest usually brings out some of the best in content from SMWCentral's userbase and is compiled into one large offering to play each year. It's usually a lot of fun to see what they have created; even the bad ones can be entertaining in their own way. That's just to be expected when you have a huge userbase participating.

So why am I playing this? Well first off, I'll be joined by my good friend Tyty for the entirety of the LP. Frankly, the two of us wanted to play the hack anyway and decided why not record it at the same time and have an excuse to talk about level design? Both of us have experience with making SMW romhack levels over the last ~10 years and we both have slightly different ideas behind what we think makes for a good Mario level. The goal of this LP is mostly to just have fun exploring a contest hack from a community both of haven't been an active part of in years. If we spark a few discussions on the nature of good game design along the way, that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, we hope you enjoy the ride as we go through the game.

Table of Contents:

-----

Here we go. The contest is organized into a Worst world, a Best world and all the rest are strewn around the rest of the overworld and submaps. We're going to get the Worst world out of the way first, then play all the stuff on the overworlds and end with the Best world.

Sorry about the kinda funky audio going on in this and the next few videos. I accidentally baked Tyty's audio into the game audio due to a recording mistake and the only way to fix it was to create a half-assed autoduck with his voice against the game audio. It was salvaged thankfully, but I don't intend to have poor audio quality for him in the future.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 7, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah we were unaware of some of the unique circumstances surrounding judging, disqualifications and penalties at the time of our first recording. Now that we know what those circumstances are we'll make mention of it starting around episode 6.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't see why not. If someone sees the request and wants to do it, more power to them.

Omobono posted:

Those levels were not bad as much as aggressively mediocre. If those are the worst we're in for a treat.

Although, how is difficulty judged? I mean, Kaizo nonsense is pretty obvious, but apart from that did the contest have some guidelines, as in "the level should be designed targeting world whatever difficulty" or "difficulty should fall within the original Super Mario World curve"?

Difficulty is usually based around how good the difficulty curve is in the context of the level. Harder levels shouldn't be scored differently than easier levels on that basis of overall difficulty alone. As long as the difficulty within the level ramps up consistently, fairly, and carefully, it should receive a high difficulty score. Of course, I wasn't judging any of these, so this is just how I would interpret the category if I was. The exception is Kaizo levels which were either disqualified for being excessively unfair, or had extra exits added at the start of levels to allow players to still get credit for "beating" the level without going through the whole difficult thing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Even though the worst world isn't totally terrible, there are still a few bad levels in here that mostly left us questioning the creator's decisions.

raocow posted:

Also fun fact: that yellow level that had two exits somehow? Nobody actually knew that level had two levels until beta testing the compilation game (which is why it has a yellow dot). A later update corrected this, in addition to a few other odd things here and there.

Yeah, seeing your video was how we figured out the solution for Simple Path. Hiding the key offscreen, away from the camera and player's view is a crappy move to make.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We go through a lot of levels in this episode and get out of the Worst world. We'll be returning to the first level once we feel more confident (maybe once we get the switch palaces).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zeratanis posted:

Boy, seeing this makes me want to get back to my LP roots... :allears: Could always do the new Super Metroid Redesign. Also another Super Metroid hack I can't remember the name of that had a map like, 2-3 times the size of Redesign's which is pretty daunting. Only issue is committing the time. Definitely can't wait to see what people will do though.

Don't do the 2-3x bigger one. It's called Metroid Mission Rescue and holy god it is way too loving big. I played it and it easily took 25 ingame hours (i.e. about 40 real hours) to beat and I was using a map to make my way through it. It's big for the sake of being big. Super impressive on a technical level but way too big. And for being that big it's actually extremely linear. My friends were making fun of me for basically sunk-costing my way through the whole thing.

If anyone wants to see how big the game is, here's a link to the map. I'm hosting it on my personal dropbox so hopefully it doesn't hurt my bandwidth: 7873x4339, 1.59 MB

Redesign: Axeil Edition on the other hand seems to have gotten a lot better with its latest release. When it first came out it had a bunch of problems such as extremely aggressive and dangerous Metroid AI and too much purple door cap use. That last one caused me to stop playing just because I didn't have enough resources to even get into Draygon's room thanks to about 5 purple doors blocking the way and I had no willpower to go farm enemies for them. Those two issues and more have been addressed since release though and overall it has a huge number of technical improvements over the original such as a functioning hint system, an elevator-based fast-travel system and a very detailed pause screen map. It's definitely worth showing off again in my opinion.

Project Base and Hyper Metroid are also super cool hacks and I'd love to see someone tackle either or both.If I weren't doing VLDC I'd show them myself but, well, I already have enough LP projects going on right now to plan another!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

JossiRossi posted:

Oh I know, it's just if you make it relative, then calling them the worst (even if it is "worst of the best") just seems overly negative for something where the levels definitely don't feel "worst" worthy is all.

Yeah I'd agree. It's grandfathered terminology though, starting with VLDC7 when the first of these contest collaborations was done and the Worst world was actually filled with bad, broken and/or kaizo levels.

As for the level dot confusion, the secret exit in Simple Path (in the first video) wasn't even found until the collaboration hack was compiled. That's probably why it had the yellow dot for the original release. In the newest update, it has a proper red dot and apparently has had the solution made visible. (Hint, the necessary tools were located offscreen in a place where the camera didn't scroll, hence why no one found it.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Sometimes, secret exits do more to hurt a level than help it. I didn't cut out any footage here, but think about how long it took us to find and solve the secret exit in the first level. It's a little unfortunate because the main level, and much stronger showing, is a good, basic Mario level.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cohesion is a difficult but necessary skill to learn when making levels. Meaning, your level should feel like one whole level, not multiple levels stuffed into one. Present a simple, consistent idea and build on it through all parts of your level.

In related news, we did a recording for the next set of levels but all our footage corrupted and is unrecoverable. We've been a bit down on recording again partially because we felt we had a really good session and audio commentary and partially because we're just waiting for our schedules to line up again. We'll get it all done soon and videos should still come out regularly but the next few videos won't be "blind" anymore. Ah well, technical difficulties happen.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Because I've only played MMX once and am bad at it and didn't remember the music in it. :shrug:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The music porting technology has advanced enough that they can now import the music samples direct from the games they are porting songs from. It's actually really impressive how far Super Mario World hacking has come in general, especially in terms of music, something that was once thought impossible on any larger scale.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There is. Losing that footage set us back and we've been trying to make time for the rerecord. If all goes well we'll be recording again tonight.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the magic of randomizers. Look at all the cool junk you found! (And stole)

I actually had no clue about those two glitches you mentioned. Things were definitely more buggy in the Japanese version. Also I'm pretty sure they changed that brothel to another random house for the localization because...yeah.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Aerdan posted:

I'm kind of torn between showcasing the current latest edition of FF6 Brave New World or doing some FF6 Beyond Chaos randomizer runs. My concern with the former is that we've seen an earlier version (and some of the script edits and half the hacking team being bad), but at the same time the latter isn't going to be very interesting in screenshot form. Thoughts?

I don't know FF6BNW at all so I spoke with Fedule about it since the context of recent posts had me waffling on my decision. In the end we agreed that the hack sounds worthwhile to show off in this thread so please feel free to do it. If people start getting creepy and weird about it for some dumb reason that's what the Report Post button is for, like it would be for people getting creepy and weird about any other LP here. But I hope we can avoid that entirely.

Personal suggestion: I'm assuming you're planning to do it as an SSLP? If so, you could cut out the cringeworthy, plain bad dialogue and choose to give your own summary of what's happening. That would avoid the bad dialogue and instead allow you to just focus on what makes it a fun hack mechanically.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm of two opinions regarding Zelda Classic.

The first is that Zelda Classic quests are probably more suited to the Fangames thread just by nature of not being romhacks. That's the logical answer.

The second is that there really aren't many Zelda romhacks out there because almost everyone uses ZC instead. Link to the Past romhacking died off very quickly once ZC started gaining traction and Zelda 1 romhacking is relatively unpopular. As such, you could almost consider ZC quests to be *the* Zelda romhacks that otherwise wouldn't exist because the tools aren't advanced enough to allow it.

Everyone's heard of the Parallel Worlds romhack, but how many people know about the ZC quests Lost Isle or Link to the Heavens? Zelda Classic quests have an interesting history and I've seen that the editor's functions are improving more and more with time. Scripting is now possible and has made for the ability to add new items that were never in the original Zelda 1. It's all very impressive.

I think I'm going to allow Zelda Classic quests in here on the basis of my second thought. Of course, it's up to you where you'd want to post any playthrough you do but I won't say no if you start one in this thread!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And we're back with a session that didn't corrupt on us. In a way this probably went better because we knew what was coming so we were able to avoid getting stuck on some levels for really long times like we did in the lost footage.

There's a number of lessons on design talked about in here, such as appropriate uses for munchers, real versus fake difficulty and why Puntin' Chuck is a very dangerous enemy to use a lot of.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

Now you got my attention. I didn't realize ZC went at all beyond the first game in scope. I'll have to check these out!

Edit: Comparing them to Parallel Worlds is concerning though. PW is very technically impressive but it is absolutely atrocious to play.

I missed this edit earlier. Zelda Classic definitely has its share of Parallel Worlds difficulty/bullshit quests but there are a lot more quests out there in general meaning you're likely able to find something to fit your search. On the LttP hacking side, I can think of about 5 major hacks that fully revamp dungeons and overworlds instead of just making minor modifications and Parallel Worlds is the big one people know. Lost Isle and Link to the Heavens are fairly well known and popular and highly-rated within the ZC community but if you've never looked up Zelda Classic before you're unlikely to have heard of them. That's the only reason I'm making the comparison. Personally, I played Lost Isle about 2/3 of the way one time and didn't finish it because I'm bad at finishing games. It's definitely hard, no doubt about it, and I died a lot playing it. Even so, I enjoyed every minute of it. It was incredibly impressive at the time of its original release, which I want to say was sometime around 2006. It's not perfect, by far (you can't buy healing potions, only find a handful of them strewn around the world map, bad decision) but the dungeon design is interesting and puzzling and the whole game is made even more impressive when you realize it's running off a modified Zelda 1-style engine with minimal scripting added.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Aerdan posted:

Apologies also for image quality--I told OBS to record lossless and it was like "lol gently caress you", apparently.

Just noticed this. Make sure your encoding bitrate is high enough. OBS will record lossless, or close to it, but if the actual encoding bitrate is too low it'll still come out blurry. 2000-3000 is good for streaming, but for recording I usually like somewhere around 6000. Of course, if you're already doing something like this then I'm not sure what the cause would be.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We go through two levels we liked and one that we didn't. Always make sure a level has a long enough timer that a new player who has never seen the level before has a chance of beating it all in one go. When in doubt, add an extra 100 seconds.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't forget that you can enter the grave in the cemetery that's usually surrounded by Titan Glove rocks. It's the one that would normally have the Magic Cape in it. You might also be able to visit the cave that would normally hold the Cane of Byrna on dark world death mountain right now, but I never remember exactly where that cave entrance is located so it might actually be out of your reach.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I would too. Problem is that I haven't heard of any such hacks being made. I'm convinced that 99% of Zelda modders use Zelda Classic these days thanks to ease of access, where LttP is still struggling to even have a working editor. That said, Parallel Worlds did get some kind of update a few years ago that redid all the terrible dungeons. I don't know much else about it because there were some definite problems with the hack and the dungeons were just the largest of them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember playing and beating the original release of PW probably 10 years ago. I think I knew it had major problems even back then but the novelty of a full, complete LttP hack was enough to keep me playing. I doubt I could do it again, even with the "fixed" version. Who knows if that version's any good in the end either.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No real tips to add here today because both levels are very good!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man what even just happened in that Megaman hack? I gotta stay tuned!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've since been informed that the green pipe that neither of us remembered at the beginning of Midnight Arbor is actually hidden behind invisible 1-up checkpoint tiles. The game tracks if you found 1-ups hidden with them and by placing objects underneath those tiles, the objects will be revealed when the game deletes those tiles. That's ridiculously clever and I never knew something like that was possible in the 10 years I've been hacking SMW. I can give a better explanation later if anyone's still confused (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know SMW even HAD 1-up checkpoint tiles.).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tyty and Simply Simon both did a good job explaining the concept of the 1-up checkpoints. Now that I'm not sleeping, let me also have a stab at it. I'm using a level Tyty and I made recently as an example to modify. There are 6 parts here and I'll explain them all.

1. This is the Add Objects window in Lunar Magic. These 1-up checkpoints are considered Extended Objects. For the most part there isn't any real difference between an Extended Object and a Regular Object, but you're more likely to find interactive objects in this menu. What's more important is that you see there are 4 of these checkpoints.
2. Here you can see them laid out directly in the level. If you want to use these you'll want the player to run through them all without noticing because, well, they're invisible. If you scatter them throughout the level, chances are the player will never touch them. Remember, they must be touched in order for the #4 checkpoint to spawn a 1-up.
3. To hide something with these checkpoints, you need to use either the #1, #2 or #3 checkpoint and place them on top of the object you're trying to hide. Super Mario World has z-ordering built into its engine. What this means is objects can overlap each other. It's usually used to decrease the amount of ground tiles that are being used because you can put a swathe of dirt somewhere and place it really far back in the z-order to fill any holes that occur when building terrain. In this case, we're using the z-order of these checkpoints to overlap a pipe. At this point it's important to understand something about how the game handles one-time collection objects.
When you collect all 5 Dragon Coins in a level, they will not respawn if you play the level again. The same goes for 3-up Moons and these 1-up checkpoints. They will all remain gone if you collect them until the next time you turn off and restart the game. In the case of the 1-up checkpoints, all four different checkpoints will be removed from the level once you collect the 1-up and return to the level after beating it/dying in it. Because of this, and the z-order phenomenon, you can hide objects like pipes, ?-blocks, basically any object underneath these checkpoints, Yoshi Coins or 3-up Moons. The checkpoints are the best choice for hiding objects though because they are completely invisible and the player won't even have any idea that there's a hidden invisible object there until it suddenly appears on the next life or replay. (As Tyty mentioned, this also sort of works for regular coins inserted as Regular Objects. Coins return after death though, so to hide something behind them you'd have to force the player to reload the level and pass by a point where something is hidden without them dying. It's not very practical but it is possible.)
4. Ingame, the 1-up checkpoints are hiding the red pipe. Mario can jump through where it would be without any issue because again, the checkpoints act like blank air tiles when touched. I specifically used the #3 checkpoint to cover the pipe just so the game didn't start tracking that I had touched the points yet, since it's looking for the #1 point to be hit first. Honestly though, as long as you aren't using the #4 checkpoint, you can use whichever checkpoint to cover things that you want to (though you could also use the #4 if you didn't mind the possibility of a million 1-ups being spawned should Mario jump through the covered area after hitting 1 2 and 3).
5. Once Mario hits the checkpoints and collects the 1-up...
6. Upon dying and restarting the level, the red pipe has appeared and is fully interactive. I could have used this to give Mario easy access to the midpoint on subsequent playthroughs.

What's notable here with the VLDC is that the game makes all of these temporarily disappearing objects like Yoshi Coins, Moons and checkpoints permanently collected. This is why even though we lost a recording and only resumed it a week later, the pipe in Midnight Arbor was still visible. It's an extremely cool way of hiding things that when used properly can totally enhance a level's playability.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

That's pretty cool. I assume hiding objects with the checkpoints wasn't used in the base game at all?

Semi-related question that I've been wondering for a while: Does the base game silently use the Chocolate Island 2 gimmick in any other stage?

I don't think the original game even used z-ordering that much. There's some instances for terrain certainly, but never to hide things. It's one of those things romhackers discovered was possible after spending time looking at the engine. Best part is that it doesn't require any assembly or anything to work since it just uses base game object interactions and how it stores things to RAM.

As for Chocolate Island 2, no it is a unique level structure. In fact, if you want to see/edit the alternate sublevels for that level you actually have to open up the appropriate Level Address instead of just opening up the Level Number. The game just overwrites levels CF and CE, the Choco Island 2 sublevels with the appropriate sublevel depending on...coin count I think it was? Whatever the criteria was for determining the level you go to, it just subs in different levels onto that Level Number. So the pipes are always sending Mario to Levels CF and then CE, but putting different levels on the other end depending on what criteria you met.

If we ever get to a Switch Palace (should be next session) I can hopefully explain my favorite dumb piece of trivia about this game. SMW is such a hacked together game. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Here we see a level with a cool concept that just isn't particularly fun to play and requires either weird knowledge of the game's engine or accidental discovery.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Burger in question:

As I said in the video, I would *try* it. No guarantees on finishing, but I would try it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This one's pretty long because there were two levels that just wouldn't end.

More importantly, when developing a level and its theme, sometimes you have to realize that you really should stick to one idea instead of cramming in multiple ideas. The first level is a perfect example of trying to do too much and not focusing on the part that actually works best.

And make sure your fog settings work.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ramos posted:

Halfway through the swamp level, did the bottom two pipes go anywhere?

No they were just static pipes. If they were exit-enabled however they would have led to the same area. Exits to different areas in SMW are handled on a per-screen basis. One screen is 16 blocks wide, so setting an exit on that screen means that any exit-enabled pipe or door on that 16-block wide screen will lead to the same location. Only through custom assembly can people circumvent this, which makes it out of the question for the contest.

Anywhere that you see two doors in very close proximity to each other but go to different locations are playing with the screen boundaries by putting one door on one screen and the other door on a different one with both screens set to go to different locations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The volume on that video is incredibly soft just like the first Reverse 22 video was. I really can't hear what's going on without cranking my speakers to max.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/832447227138293760

(We recorded more VLDC tonight and OBS tried to not process the two hour recording and after three minutes of us sitting there staring at a blank file it finally finished. We nearly died)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the sort of level we love seeing. So much creativity went into the first level here, we kinda spend the whole time gushing over it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Presumably the judges aren't supposed to know who made which level, to preserve neutrality. If they knew "oh, this level was made by <guy that always makes lovely levels>" then they wouldn't give the level a fair shake (and similarly, famous level creators would probably have their levels judged more leniently).

This is pretty much the exact reason. There are some designers that are known for their really good level design and when a judge sees their name in the contest there's always a chance they think to themselves "oh man, this person. I'm going to have a good time here!" and then self-fulfilling prophecy kicks in, causing the judge to score it more leniently or not be actively looking for mistakes or poor decisions. Considering the judges for these things don't have professional judging experience or anything it's a small but reasonable concern since these communities are relatively insular.

Hell, I'm sure there will be points along the way where we see a name we recognize and get really excited to play a level. Or, back in the first couple videos when we encountered that Zyglrox Odyssey level and immediately thought to ourselves oh god this is going to be hard, do I have to play this right now?"

Speaking of, we still need to go back and give that level an honest attempt. I think we'll do it once we get all the switch palaces.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This hack continues to be extremely confusing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Heavy Sigh posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet.

:ohdear: Now I'm scared.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

get that OUT of my face posted:

That Mega Man boss fight actually had clever ideas. I particularly enjoyed how Mega Man goes through the boss door while you drop through the ceiling. The ability for him to heal three times is stupid, though.

Why do your weapon "upgrades" make things worse?

Don't you know, you're not TRULY playing Megaman until you can beat the game without using boss powers or E-Tanks, therefore we'll make everything undesirable or useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That Switch Palace requires a lot of knowledge of game mechanics to beat. I'm a little mixed on this but I guess it's okay. Second level is just crazy in the weirdest way.

• Locked thread