Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I feel like I'm the only person who had next to no problem finding that secret exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The yellow pipe wasn't there originally, it appears as a 1-up shortcut once you enter the room the pipe leads to the first time.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, did you see that second weapon get?
I'm pretty sure that was actually a power down that makes the ubercharge worse.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

No, it makes Ubercharge give you invincibility as well.

Ah, I thought it gave you that from the start. Fair enough.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

"There is a reason for that".

Oh boy there really is.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

This level is not as nice as another one very soon though.

:kheldragar:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

All this SMWCP talk is giving me PTSD.

I figure the sequel will at most be "released" in a zombie-like state such as A2MT. It's been too long.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, that level has a little bit of an interesting history.

In VLDC7, Hostel was a level which attempted to make horror work in SMW. It was long, difficult, grueling, and hated.

VLDC8 also had an Hostel. It was... pretty good, and needs to be seen and not described with words.

And this is the third iteration of it. Each level kept chunks of the previous one to create continuity.

Also, good job on that last part in the normal exit. If you don't get it exactly right, it quickly becomes very punishing and annoying, even though I loved the level. It goes on a bit too long.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Having just looked this up, I'm not sure words exist that are capable of describing VLDC8's iteration of Hostel. :staredog:

It was nice.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Parachutist Plains is one of my favorites, by using slow autoscroll with the parachuting enemies you get a level that keeps you moving and bouncing around at all times.
e: And it uses Year-Round Absorbed Curiosity. Any level that uses music from Fairy Wars gets extra points from me.

The left side of Abstract is almost best world, while the right side is True Worst World.

Shin Worst World.

VIOLENT Worst World.

And I also exclusively use control sticks to play platformers, I don't like D-pads.
It makes single wall wall jumps in Super Metroid extremely easy!

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Oh hey, Sky at The Weird. Serious contender for worst level in the game.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

I like the aesthetic, it's close to nice in transporting creepiness into Mario but holy poo poo that autoscroller part looks like Kaizo.

I agree. And while the first section and the secret exit are pretty good, the rest of the level is just horrendous.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

I really think you could be forgiven for using save states to get through levels like that. If the level designer isn't going to play fair with you, you don't need to play fair with them.

That's what I did. Once the bullet generator came up I just gave up. Made dealing with the offscreen Lakitu a non-issue! :v:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Didn't the overworlds themselves take up most of the time? I remember them announcing the thing was finished and then... several months later the OWs were finally finished. Don't remember exactly how long, but it feels like >3 months.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Doseku posted:

Ever wonder what Mario would look like if it had a much more serious story?
Well wonder no more.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 01 - The beginning

Heh, Scorpion's hacks always gave me a "stay the gently caress away" vibe from the very beginning.
A lot of drama surrounding that guy and his hacks.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Tell us more please. :allears:

I'm not about to trawl through 10 years of SMWC history digging for drama. :shepicide:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

IIRC the statue thing got explained in the Talkhaus.

Basically, those only spit fire on specific x coordinates, and bonking them when they're right beside the right places shifts them by one pixel so they start working.

It's weird.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Weeble posted:

Man, you guys didn't even react to that 9-ball made of coins in the first level.

It appeared right as you were talking about everyone at SMWC being huge Touhou fans.

Made me laugh.

It took me until halfway through the LP, after playing the whole hack, to notice that the disproportionate amount of Cirno references is due to this being the ninth contest. :downs:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Cave world has the worst level in the game.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I loathe OOPS!
It's an autoscroller, so you can't make it go faster, the rocks require you to know rhe future to avoid them, there are sections that look like safe spots but aren't, and the gameplay has no variety and is mostly waiting. It deserved the zero Nimono feared it would get.

Also, 1F0 is so popular SMBX has its own version of it now.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Oh yeah, Minus Infinity owns.

Also @FPzero: Try messing more with layers on the top-10 overworld for an easter egg :v:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Tyty posted:

It's time for a romhacking history lesson friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkMVoc39ZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Some day, eventually, Nintendo will grace us with an Waluigi game and it will be glorious.

• Locked thread