Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I did try reaching all my teeth with my tongue when the Traveler Tip said I couldn't. I fell for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Purple is a good colour and I'm glad there was a level that embodied purple as purplefully as that level.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The levels are good but the "how to romhack" talk is really interesting. I have no interest in ever getting into romhacking (beyond doing a bit with Pokemon here and there in the past), but it's really neat to listen to people who know about it.

Also that coins level had a really cool gimmick and I can imagine how weird it must be to avoid coins. It's like its turning your Mario instincts, honed for decades, against you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Simply Simon posted:

You didn't read the Green Switch activated message closely, did you :D?

I did, and wow, that was scrambled. That was a weird thing to do.

Also a weird thing to do: that entire second level. Much like the judges did, I'd give it points for creativity. And little else, but hey, it was creative.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the exact kind of thing that I can laugh at entirely because I am not playing it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Could you give an explanation on the different layers? It sounds really interesting but at the same time I never fully understand what you guys mean with them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That actually explained a lot and now it all makes much more sense, thank you! It was also very interesting to read, regardless of clarifying things.

I'd recommend keeping that for when the thread is archived, since otherwise the concept of Layers makes very little sense to those not in the topic (like me).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't expect the background stuff to be actual levels, I thought it'd be just...background. I'm surprised.

Also someone get Snoruntpyro in this thread so we can have opinions about a level directly from its creator.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That level sure was nice!

Actually I like all that positive feedback, I'd feel good in a level with so many NICEs around. It's like the level is constantly telling you you're doing a good job!...until you fall down the NICE pit. Then it's just insulting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Something nice Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Return of the nice

I genuinely like the positive reinforcement though. Even if it is just a meme, it feels good to be told you're doing things nicely. And that nice at the end just clinched it for me. It's funny and it feels good, this is a nice meme.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How the hell is that level 73rd? It definitely deserved to be far lower. Hell, the first one was better, yet it's five positions lower.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

One of the hills on the lower-right part of the screen winks. It's cute, I like the moustache hills.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mysticblade posted:

New Midori update after like a month. This update's a tad big, I was feeling pretty lazy since I thought recording would take like an hour. Only took 20 minutes.

Huh, the game shows movement growths as permanent buffs instead of, you know, the default number? Weird. I wonder why.

Maybe movement is hard-coded to each class so it can't be increased in any other way without changing it for all of the same class (Knights, in this case)? It's the only explanation I can imagine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It feels like "lol I know so much about Mario" the level, abusing every glitch and then laughing at people who didn't know them or didn't know they were fixed. So for people with the knowledge of what can be exploited (such as the judges, I expect) it's a hilarious in-joke but for anyone else it's just incredibly confusing.

The crystals level was much better and it had a very neat gimmick.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

flarp22 posted:

That might have been the most rude single spike I've ever seen in a romhack.

I can see why it's there, the level is designed for small Mario and it'd be an issue if the player becomes big Mario and gets killed by lava due to their bigger hitbox.

That said there had to be a better way to undo the forced Mushroom from the midpoint than that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a very creative level that looked pretty fun but man, those were some deaths.

The fireball following tile 1fo was hilarious though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see Hard Mode Pharaoh Man is based on everyone's favourite franchise about ancient Egypt.

Touhou.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That #3 level was amazing. I would've never thought of using water for space, and it looked amazing too, as did the fire planet. I agree that it deserved to be #1, the other two were undeniably good, but not as good.

I still really enjoyed the aesthetics of the last level though, but it didn't look that fun to play. I hate being blinded though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get the point of these levels. It's fine to make a harder romhack, it's fine to want to test the players' skills...so long as it is in the right genre. What's the goddamn point of turning Mega Man into a shmup? It doesn't work.

That sprite flickering was painful for my eyes too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This level didn't look nearly as awful as the last. If it gave power ups regularly as it should have, it would've been a pretty okay level.

But lacking those definitely made it much worse than it should've been. That's one incredibly stupid mistake for the sake of being "hard". You can be hard and not be unfair to the player!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

WAA was everything I could ask for. And goddamn that last level was pretty and creative, and actually looked fun to play! I'm glad the judge world ended in a high note after such a terrible start.

It was nice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You are to blame for this. You and wanting nice things.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Green Dixie carrying Dixie and Diddy is my favourite Donkey Kong Country character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

28 deaths on the riding level. Not thaaat bad. I've seen more evil hacks.

It just suddenly cutting off for the barrel was hilarious though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

None of that looked fun. I mean, I laughed, but I'm sure I wouldn't be laughing if i was playing. Lying with the bananas is unforgivable.

At least the names are still alliterative.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, Cat o' Nine Tails variations. Exactly what we all wanted.

But wait, that colour...hmm...

Be careful if a black one appears, he has guns and time powers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Donkey Kong Country 2: The Lost Level: Layers Upon Layers of Dick Moves

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now I'm not a romhack expert, but I would still say it should be kinda obvious even without playtesting that throwing poo poo at the player that they have no possible way of reacting to in time is bad game design.

I don't think you understand how "difficulty" romhacks work. It doesn't matter if it's bullshit, it's HARD and that's what's important, after all any sort of difficulty is good difficulty. The player can just savestate whenever, there's no such thing as "unfair" because it's hard and people want hard right???

Don't expect these people to have any idea of level design or to care about the players, they make the levels and the player should instictively know them or just ram their head against their finely-crafted wall until they get through. Trial-and-error gameplay = fair difficulty!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was laughing very hard the whole way through. Great job and thank you, you two.

Is it bad I enjoyed the "bad" palettes palits more than the real ones? At least the bad ones looked artsy (for the main level anyways, the sublevel was painful and I oh my godded alongside you two) while the "good" ones just looked kind of terrible, too bright.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FPzero posted:

By the way, is this the last video or is there a little more to be seen? I only ask because I think once my Keysanity videos are finished I'm going to close out the thread but I don't want to close it prematurely if you still have content left on this game.

Aw man, I've been really enjoying this thread. I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm glad it happened and I'm thankful for the efforts of everyone involved.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm so glad you got that key before you caused irreparable damage to your livers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was the greatest sum of currency back when it was minted, hence the title of "Master" and the reverence given to it.

Inflation's a bitch though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, randomizers are always fun, especially when taken to the extreme. Reminds me of that time I randomized one of the Gen 1 games but to absolute max chaos. It gave some really interesting results.

Also it's good to know Cheren Biker Joey is almost as good as his non-randomized version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ulmont posted:

This "Link to the Past + Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer" looks right up this thread's alley...

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-wild-new-mash-up-of-link-to-the-past-and-sup-1826049172

That's the weirdest randomizer idea I've ever heard and I'm genuinely surprised it's even possible. I'd love to see it played, since I'm not going to play it myself as I have no interest in Metroid and very little interest in Zelda.

• Locked thread