Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

blue squares posted:

the rare triple negative, folks!! dont miss it

That sentence has two different clauses, a single negative then a separate double negative. If you really wanted to nitpick a comma before the "but" might make it clearer but isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

I found a copy of that at goodwill awhile back, haven't hooked my VRC up to watch it, but I keep it out on display along with my copy of Re-Animator.

The correct spelling is Re-loving-Animator.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

A local record store has criterion blurays of The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth (no booklets, for whatever reason), for $99 each. I was too tempted, but thankfully didn't go through with it.

Back when Netflix was a DVD delivery service I got both of those, should have eaten the 15 dollar disc replacement fee.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also official release of the holiday special

I think that can't be released due to the Geneva Conventions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Lost in Space is on Syfy right now. Man that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kng_YcBxR6Y

When I was 10 this trailer blew my frickin mind how cool and dark it was :manning:

Like the whole premise is everybody is on earth is going to die, it's a pretty stark place to start from.

Youtube has the pilot episode of the TV series this was based off, it popped up on my sidebar watching the trailer, you should watch that instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The fan restoration of A New Hope is being restored from a 35mm film scan.

Or is it already done? I don't keep up to date with all these fan projects.

The de-specialized editions have been available for awhile, not sure if what you're talking about is different or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

broken sm57 posted:

Due to a weekend without internet/ a small selection of dvds, I ended up watching the Astronaut Farmer recently. It's a mediocre movie, more of a ham fisted libertarian parable than entertainment, but it ended up being accidentally interesting.

The movie has a lot of "heroic rancher vs the government" imagery, but after seeing the bundy standoff so prominently in the news lately, it was impossible to read those images as anything but rural terrorist endangers his family and radicalizes his children.

I'm fascinated by the way real world events overwhelmed the intended message of the film and sort of reversed it (at least for me), and would definitely be interested in watching movies that were similarly impacted by real world events that happened after the movies were released, if anyone has any suggestions.

Rambo 3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

This just in, wasabi in excessive amounts...

is bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHxFSaOV-o

During the commentary track on the DVD Steve-O snorts more wasabi during this scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

That boy ain't right...

should I watch dead ringers or m butterfly tonight with all this cronnyberg talk

I read the play for M. Butterfly and it's solid. Would love to see the original Broadway performance with John Lithgow as the french diplomat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

It was John Lithgow and BD Wong iirc :swoon:

drat, that would have been amazing.

Edit: Found a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=040OgeqmIY8

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

I'm hungover and half watching Tv and the new XXX trailer was on and I think Vin Diesel was driving a motorcycle through a wave to the bottom of the ocean

Not a Hoax! Not an Imaginary Story!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, it's mostly my drink of choice because I didn't even drink until my mid late 20s, had no idea where to start, and they were free where I was the first time I did.

There's a difference between "drink of choice" and "only thing you drink" and apparently it's the later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So lyft likes to randomly charge people an extra $35 on five minute rides.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FishBulb posted:

SURGE PRICING BABY

It was a 700% markup, at 8:20 in the morning on a weekday. I paid normal rate when I used them on New Year's eve. I used to talk them up because I thought I'd read they cap their markups at double, apparently I was wrong. I've used them during rushes before and always got a warning saying it'd be 25% extra or whatever, nothing this morning. I'm trying to blow them up on twitter at the moment but I only have like 12 followers so that's not really going to do anything.

https://twitter.com/sinclairking/status/817607764675465216

Share this if you want to help publicly shame them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

If it isn't the best one why does it have such a big market share, smart guy?

I'm pissed at myself for not making that joke first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hey, Lil Mama, how can I best assist the revolution?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Apropos of nothing, I feel bad for live musicians at bars. You know they, deep down, want to play their own music they've written. But their audience (you know, white folks in the process of getting drunk) only respond to the covers they know the lyrics to while in the aforementioned process of getting drunk.

Those songs are objectively better because they sold more albums/singles/were licenced more, only posers pretending to be cool want to hear music that's not on a top 40 station.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Northern Virginia residents are all rich and poo poo, they deserve it.

Actually that 10-mile section of interstate used to be part of my commute, now I have to use the subway where today my train was stuck in a tunnel as the authorities had to fix an electrical problem at the next stop. Wasn't that bad of a wait because it was completely silent in the car other than some off-key guy listening & then singing his jams (mainly about beating up that pussy and random sfx) to a bunch of people that just got off work.

I imagine there are people who need to drive through Northern Virginia who don't live in Northern Virginia and tolls that insane makes it seem like it's a special road only for rich people, which is even worse. It's like how rich people don't give a poo poo about water quality because they only drink bottled water from Fiji.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Oh man, those Google robots are now arguing on who is human.

As I am posting this, one of them is calling the other a bloody idiot and also talking like Yoda.

Now they're debating the existence of God.

https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

Edit: now they're back to accusing each other of being robots, one claims to be a dragon.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coaaab posted:

It pretty much is because it's an electronic toll that requires the driver to buy a transponder for $35 (which becomes your initial toll fare), then you refill as needed. I bought one because traffic around here is as bad as any place else in the US.
That makes it seem like we're segregating roads by income bracket even more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Besides the esteemed CineD crew, who are the best film follows on twitter?

Lexi Alexander is fun because she likes pissing off MRA types. I nominate her for General of the Alt-Left army.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Can't stop watching always sunny. I had a plan to watch Godzilla movies but this loving show keeps sucking me in again and again.

Frank is the best.

Egg!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wanna see the version of Iron Man 2 where it's revealed that Tony Stark's father actually was a huge rear end in a top hat who stole the cheap energy device in order to profit off of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh another good remake candidate, Argento's Inferno. Suspiria's untouchable but Inferno desperately needed a stronger through-line. I'd keep all the Three Mothers stuff since that's sort of an interesting idea that wasn't explored well. Also the giant skeleton thing at the end, and the Keith Emerson theme.

The opening sequence of Inferno is so terrifying to me that I actually don't really remember the rest of the movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Netflix seems to be playing pretty fast and loose with their genre classifications

Edit:
Netflix categories flat out broken

you can argue about suspenseful or not, but none of those are tv shows.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No longer worried about skynet becoming self-aware

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

1999, 2016, 1978, 2003, 2014,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

So, uh, how did Fallon normalize Trump? I don't watch late night talk shows so I'm not really aware of any interviews featured on them. How are people surprised a presidential candidate was given softball questions on a milquetoast talk show? I'm aware that I am not the audience for this sort of thing, but how influential do y'all actually think Fallon's show and interviews are?

Most Presidential candidates don't have as large a body of violent, mysoginistic, racist quotes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

I've only seen Jimmy Fallon a few times and his popularity is absolutely baffling. That statement about propaganda is terrific.

He's okay when he's just playing dumb drinking games with his guests.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

John Carpenter said that Eyes Without A Face was the big influence on Mike Myer's mask.

Also, go ahead and watch Face/Off again, I'm sure you'll see a couple of Eyes Without A Face's things in Face/Off. Particularly the face removal and doves in the finale.

Doves in a finale really just means a film was directed by John Woo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's my birthday
Attn therattle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I only use film terminology based on comedy TV shows from the 60s and 70s. Gilligan cuts, Batman angles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care if all the scientists in the world disprove this one, I'm gonna keep stating the Trump Piss Hookers as verified fact until I die.

As hilarious as it is, it's still less embarrassing than David Cameron loving a dead pig.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I bet the most embarrassing thing for Trump about this isn't the urine, but that the story as reported implies that he takes a submissive role during sex.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Obama being tricked by his imam into eating a dog was funny, and this is even funnier.

Not really, as every rich and powerful man is just assumed in pop culture to be a sub.

I just think that's the part that is digging under Trump's skin the most.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will honestly be surprised if 2017 ends before Trump has impeachment proceedings at least start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

With the majority the Republicans have in the House? There's no way on God's green earth they even entertain an introduction of articles of impeachment, not with the way midterm elections go for the incumbent party.

I think Trump is going to be so loving outrageous in his abuses of power that they'll have to, especially since it'd mean Pence became President and he's the Republican establishments ideal President.

I'm not suggesting a Trump impeachment would actually make anything better, just that it's a likely outcome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just realized we never got our listing of who rated the last thread and what they rated it

gently caress, I don't care about the ratings but I wanted to see what the new names for most frequent posters were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I like him mostly because his pieces are mostly about structure, character, and kind of just general film 101 stuff but through a slightly more cerebral lens.

Something I can grasp unlike, anything written by SMG. I guess he's not for everyone, but he's helped me in writing scripts and what not.

Please don't use Film Critic Hulk for screenplay tips.

• Locked thread