Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lurdiak posted:

That's the most direct one, but there's other parallels. Bilbo's party at the shire (which the movie pretty much cold opens on), has the exact same gag where the one guy is sitting with his feet kicked up and corrects Bilbo on his clan's name (ProudFEET). A few of the other ringwraith scenes play out very similarly to the Jackson films (notably when they try to stab everyone in their beds and then squeal in frustration when they figure out the ruse), and the Battle of Helm's Deep is a bigger and more chaotic deal than it is in the book and the climax of the entire film, so I'm pretty sure that was an influence on how big a loving deal it is in the Jackson films when it's only 20 pages in the books. There's a few other moments, but they're muddier since the source material is the same. It wouldn't surprise me if Ian McKellen was told to take some cues for his performance as Gandalf from this version, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WcJbPlAknw

There's also the beginning prologue about how the ring came to be and how it fell into Bilbo's possession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT18OJEPU9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Mark Millar has written a lot of garbage, but he's also written some really good comics. He just needs an editor to hit him on the nose with a newspaper occasionally. He got his start writing Sonic the Hedgehog and Superman Adventures (a comic version of the 90's Saturday morning cartoon). Red Son, Ultimates 1&2, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

I liked Chrononauts, Superior, and Starlight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

Superman Returns is excellent and the only weak link is Kate Bosworth.

Amy Adams' performance in MoS made me appreciate Bosworth's performance a lot more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

porfiria posted:

I can't imagine living in a universe where Kate Bosworth's best day acting was better than Amy Adams' worst.

I was thrilled at Adams' casting, I like Amy Adams, but man, she was awful in MoS.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If we're playing the People Who Didn't Get A Movie They Should Have Olympics, I'm gonna nominate Arthur C Clarke not quite understanding 2001

Did he write it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/928434850381553665

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ufarn posted:

Anyone know where to get the movie Girl 27 (TW etc)? It's very à propos, but it's on neither Netflix, iTunes nor Amazon UK, and an NTSC/R1 import isn't going to help.

It's on Amazon US to rent for 3.00

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It would also be nice if his artwork didn't look like raw unprocessed sewage.

I'm still trying to figure out if that's supposed to be Ebert, or an author insert

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Speaking of MoviePass, post your History. I've been slacking REALLY badly because my friends haven't wanted to go

Edit- 10/17 is The Foreigner

So did you see the original Flatliners, or did they use the original's poster for the remake?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jeremy Irons, Children's TV Presenter:

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/931937760482488320

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Since this (thankfully) isn't an origin story you can get away with that poo poo.

And his friend knows he's the Punisher

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is kinda Rogue One in a nutshell

And it's the plot of TFA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

"Too bad they had to put Idris Elba in that film, though. Was glad when he died."

Loved that he selected Pacific Rim, a film made by a Mexican

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Murderball should be a real sport.

Give me Pro Thunderball

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

precision posted:

Rollerball is a goddamn masterpiece and I think I kind of have to watch it right now

It's as good as Rocky or Creed

Pro Thunderball Rules posted:

Get pumped for...THUNDERBALL.

1. Bring the walls in closer to allow for more homeruns. Make homeruns worth two points.

2. Have a five foot drop off between the infield and outfield. In other words, the outfield is five feet lower than the infield.

3. Instead of one ball, there are three balls, in constant motion.

4. Nine multi-shaped targets with varying point values are placed throughout the infield. A baserunner can attempt to throw his bat at these targets as he rounds the bases.

5. Defenders are allowed to tackle the runners as they round the bases; however, the runner is allowed to keep his bat. [Thunderball players are equiped with full pads and a helmet.]

6. The batter may choose to take six strikes instead of three, but this allows the pitcher one free throw at the batter. A hit by such a throw does not count as a free walk.

7. Honeys and Hounds. Cheerleaders and dogs are allowed to roam the field freely and affect play as they wish. During the seventh inning, however, players are allowed to tackle the Honeys as they please, for bonus strikes.

8. Team mascots will alternate innings driving a Honda Accord anywhere on the field except for the pitcher's mound, the batters box, and the dugout. Players can use this car as part of their offensive or defensive strategies.
*The Designated Driver rule of the Western Conference modifies this so that rather than an Accord, a Cheverlet is used, driven by a neutral party not affiliated with either team.

some rules under consideration:

(a) the Gun Circle - a loaded hand gun is placed within a clearly marked circle to be placed ten yards behind second base. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS THE GUN TO BE TOUCHED AT ANY POINT DURING THE GAME.

"We'd rather have a gun in the outfield, than under a mattress where a child could get to it."
-Joe Auxillary, UCB Director of Health Services

(b) each team's pitcher is allowed to throw three ceramic baseballs a game when he so chooses.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/936014446996197378

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like Broken Arrow

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why does this look so familiar

Rifftrax, I think

Snak posted:

Broken Arrow's opening shot is so good. Better than anything else in the whole movie.

SAMANTHA MATHIAS WAS ADORABLE IN IT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've heard so many people claim that healthcare is a privilege, not a right, and it makes me want to vomit every time.

Healthcare: Privilege

Gun: Right

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Bizarrely I think James Franco is the [i]least[/] likely name on that list, except maybe Zach Braff because I suspect he's asexual.

Zach Braff called Joey King (a teenage girl) his "muse". So yeah, he's kind of creepy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

Honey... I can't help but notice you're driving us towards the raging inferno.

"Less traffic on this route"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It delivered on its promise of a Giant Monkey wrecking poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ABC's bringing her show back. So that ought to be interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gatts posted:

Speaking of which, now that Disney owns everything or soon will I am really hoping for a spiritual sequel of Who Framed Roger Rabbit with all their properties.

The next Toy Story ought to be interesting

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And the prequels are better than The Force Awakens.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ErectorBeast posted:

I will be looking up these death scenes to try to get an idea of them, but feel free to suggest where they might be ranked, as well. I’m sure there are tons of flicks with horses dying that I’ve never even heard of, and plenty of iconic horse deaths in Westerns or something that I’ll have never seen.

Animal House. Funny horse death, and later, funny dead horse disposal

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It also has like the best Flash Thompson and Zendaya is loving great in it.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The direction they took MJ was great and Zendaya was a great choice.

Really? She was easily the worst part of that movie for me. Just an awful, awful actress. I ended rooting for one of the villains to kill her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

An orc cop set in a "middle earth" style setting would've been better

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My big problem with Alien: Covenant is that they kill the alien the same way they kill it in every alien movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Should have nuked it from orbit. Just to make sure.

Would've been original

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

Literally five months from release and we haven't even seen a promo poster.

*screams desperately* We've seen the logo!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edgar Wright talking about Shaun of the Dead posted:

Some people just didn’t get it. I’m not embarrassing her by saying this, because she says the same thing — Penelope Wilton initially passed. Helen Mirren was offered Barbara. She said, “I would only do the movie if I got to play Ed.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I really feel like people grasp at straws for quality in those movies. Like sure, McGregor is trying to pull his weight, most of the actors are trying but the material is so awful and they've been directed so poorly. What the hell were Lucas' directions to Samuel L Jackson? To be as stoic and boring and dead as possible? Christopher Lee is maybe the only one who's able to instill any life in his character but even then it's the type of role he played literally a hundred times before and it's far from his best turn at it.

Admittedly, Attack of the Clones is shot better than Phantom Menace, which isn't saying much but it's got a few moments of actual quality shot composition (it was shocking to see some natural light for once, during funny enough the Sand Line) whereas Phantom Menace is just a total embarrassment coming from a veteran filmmaker with an effectively unlimited budget and access to the finest talent in Hollywood. However, Attack of the Clones' screenplay is completely nonsensical, nothing makes sense, and any momentum it had drops to a standstill about an hour into the movie, leaving you begging for release by the end.

Y'all can try to find the shining moments of quality, but it's like the Worst Idea of All Time dudes trying to find the light in Grown Ups 2. They're just godawful, embarrassing, racist, boring, hideous pieces of poo poo and if they didn't have the Star Wars IP attached to them they would have been completely forgotten bargain bin multi-pack features by now.

Welcome to CD, may I suggest going into any of DC Movie threads next?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gorgeous

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is that Jan Michael Vincent in the top right quadrant

Are you unfamiliar with the television masterpiece known as "Airwolf"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's also technically a comic book movie since it's adapted from graphic novel

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Maybe 30 tops. Truncate that rathtar scene in tfa, take out the terrible handheld shot at the end of tfa, remove a few parts of the poescapades, trim down finn and Rose, you got something.

Speaking of length, how did tlj get called out for"bad pacing" while gotg2 goes on forever and is called better than the first. Just watched this morning and from the opening title, to the constant groot moments, it was just pointing to the last movie. Also, rooker is a child trafficker/accomplice to murder, yet he gets a viking funeral for rightfully dieing. And did anyone else pickup the not so subtle homages to Man of Steel's dual fathers. Down to artificial "hologram"dad and tough old gently caress who teaches by doing not by his words.

Batman murders/tortures a bunch of people of people in BvS, but Gordon doesn't try to arrest him in JL

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The implication with nearly every single depiction of Batman is that he has the tacit support of the police (Batman: Year 100 is a big and really funny exception). The most prominent departure, The Dark Knight, makes a point to stirring music that you have to lie egregiously to keep Batman a hero forever.

But as we're constantly reminded, BvS is "not your Batman", so whatever any previous iterations did or didn't do are off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

C'mon son!

• Locked thread