Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Got lightly stoned last night and took a break from getting through BAFTA screeners to watch Hail Caesar! again. Which I enjoyed, again. Magnificent cinematography and the set pieces are amazing.

We've discovered some Cookie Monster shorts for my son, which are parody trailers for various well-known films. I think they are called Cookie Crumby Pictures and they are brilliant (and educational). We love them as much as he does.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8TioFHubWFtW1NT7VC1WG8mH_zmZK4aM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Ended 2016 with the first half of It Follows and started 2017 with Breakfast at Tiffany's, holy poo poo is the latter racist.

Mickey Looney no racist!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

First movie of the year is American Beauty for me. I feel like it would make an interesting companion to Leon: The Professional.

It's Good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQ0JFzXMgY

Yeah, that and the water scene are particularly great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I gifted myself German Netflix for the new year, and the first movie I'm (re-) watching is Wrath of the Titans. It really is so much better than Clash, if only for how tired Sam Worthington is of all these Titans.

"I'm so tired of all these wrathful Titans!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

First real movie of 2017: Moonlight. A+

It's really excellent. A+ seconded.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Counter-counterpoint, my place isn't big enough for all my DVDs and Bluerays.

It is. It might not be big enough for the cases though. Get files with DVD/CD sleeves and file them alphabetically. Put the cases in the attic or equivalent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Theodore (one of Alvin's Chipmunks).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GonSmithe posted:

First movie of 2017: Fences

I can see where some of the criticism is coming in the fact that it feels like a Broadway show put on screen. Denzel doesn't really put too much direction into the settings, and there aren't many memorable shots (there are definitely a couple). But the characters and translation of a fantastic play are done so well and played so expertly that I can't fault it for slightly boring direction. Denzel and Davis are absolute powerhouses in this, and these might be the best performances of their careers. It's two and a half hours long, but those two, and even the supporting cast are so magnetic with their portrayals of these broken people that the time flies by. Excellent movie.

I've got a screener that I've been sitting on watching but it'll go near the top of the queue (provided we start watching early enough)

For the record I don't give posters voices.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

I think I can live without it. I do have the Criterion DVD and am tempted to sell it while people are still paying a hilarious markup on it.

Think of how many pairs of cargo jorts and Crocs you could buy!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jenny Angel posted:

For the record, good things that can be attributed to me:

- Deep web exploration video series
- CPL wearing the shorts
- Jeff approaches the Clown, full of rage
- Popularizing the tag yourself meme in this thread

Good things that can be attributed to other lovely goons:

- Everything else

I think I can claim some credit for CPL wearing the shorts. My greatest contribution is surely :viggo: though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Jenny,

I got the gift you got me over the weekend. Once I get it framed and on the wall I'll share a pic! Thank you!

TAKE NOTE, SKWIRL.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

plz dont pull out posted:

Mr. Flunchy. Not sure what happened to him.

I shot him, just to watch him die.

I would have done the same to axleblaze if he hadn't stopped using "alot" a lot.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 5, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

But don't they already have that license to print cash? My understanding is that when a company licenses out a film, they aren't just licensing out one particular version of the film but the film as a whole, which is how (for example) Criterion is able to do a Brazil release with like 3 different versions of the movie including the "Love Conquers All" cut. By this logic, Disney already being able to distribute A New Hope would mean that it's entirely their call when to release the unaltered version. Am I wrong on this?

Not necessarily. It'll differ case by case. Some licenses will include all known versions; others will specify certain versions only, and define them very tightly. I suspect that Fox has licensed only one version to Disney.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Well? Is he right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Glamorama26 posted:

Answer the question!!!!

I think he's hiding something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno "dedicated to the dope people of Afghanistan" has some weird connotations.

"We give our thanks to these brave opium farmers"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

weekly font posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02222007

There's no reason these things should be in opposition tbh

agreed. I'm a navel man myself.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There are cooking games? I guess so. Huh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

She loves Red Eye and Suspiria, I feel pretty confident she is a dope person.

We've been talking for hours about Goblin, horror movies, and bi representation.

Also, she's a fan of Fast and Furious.

She might have dope taste but it has zero bearing on whether she's a dope person or mean or crazy or nasty one instead. Taste =/ personality and character.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think that view's gonna get a lot of traction here.

They're young; they'll learn eventually. My man Lil Mama gets it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tonight I'm hoping that the opposite will prove true and someone with bland, thoughtless tastes in stuff will end up being cool and interesting to talk to.

Even if not though, I'm gonna go eat burgers and see Tampopo with a cute lady so whatever.

Shane rules, by the way.

Bland and thoughtless indicates probable incompatibility but shared tastes don't indicate compatibility either. Someone can be cool and fun (and attractive) but have totally different tastes to you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've only seen Jimmy Fallon a few times and his popularity is absolutely baffling. That statement about propaganda is terrific.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Jesus you are clashing so hard.

I'll have you know that's a Roy Lichtenstein print t-shirt. (It was one of my Secret Santa presents - hope you like it, Skwirl, and happy birthday!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hodgepodge posted:

They'll never discover that my real name is Rumpelstiltskin Dumbledore Jabberwocky :sweatdrop:

Nice to meet you! I'm Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Republicans might impeach Trump because his antics might be intolerable to the electorate if not to them, and because then they'd get Pence. He hews even more closely to conservative dogma. In some ways he'd be even worse than Trump, who at least deviates from orthodoxy in a few areas.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ryan is your guy. The same people that think they're resisting Trump are more or less fine with Paul Ryan, who has no particular attributes to recommend him by, and has an absolutely monstrous agenda.

The awful part is that they are all monstrous, just in different ways.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums.

Yeah, I was about to say the use of Elliot Smith's Needle In The Hay in Richie's suicide attempt scene is just amazing, and the cue when Margot goes to meet him from the bus - These Days by Nico - beautiful use of slo-mo too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949DcEoeSec

There are some sublime music choices in that film.

What makes good licensed music? One factor is when the song captures something of the emotion of the scene but without being too direct or on the nail, in which case it becomes too obvious or unsubtle.

I also love the use of Benjamin Britten works in Moonrise Kingdom.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's also just the way it's actually used in the film. The moment of silence before These Days starts is 50% of why it's so effective, the rest is riding the wave of emotion off the first notes of the song that hit you like water. It's a great aesthetic choice of song that's slipped in using really brilliant editing and cinematography, and that matches the mood of the movie.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I have to watch that film again - it's one of my absolute favourites.

Timby posted:

For a movie in its entirety, I would probably agree, but the gold standard of a single song being used in a movie for me is Frank Patterson's "Danny Boy" in Miller's Crossing.

Excellent call. Another movie favourite.

Speaking of Coen's, Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Is In in Lebowski is also fantastic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You approach the creation of an artwork as a technical problem to be solved, because you fear adversity.

I will review your screenplay, and you will have access to a power beyond your imaginings. If you wish.

A screenplay is in some regards a technical problem to be solved - once the inspiration and germ of the story have arisen. Artistry without technique is doomed. I don't know how one works on better artistry; but one can work on better technique to realise the ideas one has.

All this is leaving aside any discussion on to what extent a screenplay is a work of art. Manchester By The Sea? Maybe. Probably. At least to quite a high degree. Avengers: Age of Ultron? Uh, less so if at all (which is not to say it can't have elements of artistry). But almost no screenplay is wholly a work of art.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

This got passed over but I think it's a great post and would make a great forum title

Yeah, I forgot to say how good it was too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue, leaving aside that it's an Invader Zim fanfilm with the same estimated runtime as James Cameron's Avatar, is that CelticPredator approaches it as a purely technical problem. This means the concept of 'good characters' has already been set for him in advance by a dude calling himself MOVIE REVIEW HULK, who is 'apolitically' telling him that characters naturally are this, and 'acceptable' characters naturally do this. Implicitly, society itself has natural qualities. As a direct consequence, CelticPredator is now caught in a years-long process of refining what is, unwittingly, a recreation of Akiva Goldsman's A Beautiful Mind script - but set in a highschool. And 'silly'.

The personal is political. Characterization without an understanding of socioeconomic contexts will certainly result in a cluster of essentialist cliches failing about in pursuit of cats to save. Why is the protagonist 'obsessed with the paranormal'? That's not uncontentious. You immediately/inherently have a conflict between the New Age ideology of MUFON (the extraterrestrial hypothesis - alien spacecraft actually exist and vibrate in from higher planes of reality or whatever) and the ideological critique of Magonia (the psycho-social hypothesis - alien beliefs are a form of 'cognitive mapping' to make sense of life under capitalism). That's where 'alienation' potentially takes on its full weight. Is the character ostracized because he's alienated, or alienated because he's ostracized?

We can even go back a step and ask 'why highschool?' You have implicit Labyrinth / Shaun Of The Dead psychosexual narrative about 'putting away childish things' and becoming a contributing member of society. The zombies are just a plot device that vanishes from sight the moment we have the production of the couple. You can already guess that CP's script is about how to stop worrying, and love the bomb.

I don't think that we are opposed. Technique without artistry is dead, lifeless, uninspired. I wasn't talking about CP's screenplay in particular (as I haven't read it) - if the artistry is lacking then no amount of technique can salvage it. By-the-numbers characterisation divorced from context would fail, I agree. (Manchester By The Sea, for example, has characters deeply rooted in their contexts; it's one reason it works so well).

Snak posted:

Yes I know we aren't invading Poland.

But it's not as funny to just ask why.

This reminds me of one of my favourite The Onion articles. (the headline is the joke which the article can't really better):
http://www.theonion.com/article/retro-crazed-german-youths-invade-poland-591

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He's suggesting that you're too slavishly devoted to pre-existing notions of "good" screenwriting as delivered to you from a biased source (film crit hulk). He's also being extremely rude.

Yeah, he's really making GBS threads on your work in a way that seems uncalled for and mean. Not cool.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Screenplays are absolutely art, most are just clumsy, frequently bad art.

I haven't given this too much though, TBH, but I am not sure that they are, in most cases. Unlike other art forms, they are consumed indirectly - few people read screenplays for the sake of it, they are experienced as a component (albeit a fundamental one) of another art form, the film. They are written to be used, rather than experienced, which I think differentiates them. Additionally, I think that there is a difference between a work that an artist creates to express something in themselves, or a work that is commissioned by a third party to a very specific set of parameters. (That said, art is often commissioned to strict parameters and is still art, eg a sculpture or a portrait). Screenplays are also often based on other works, so you have a screenplay that is based on a book that becomes a film. I'm sot sure - can that be art?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

Well look, I'll post the script tomorrow I guess. I mean if it's bad, I'll know what to fix, specifically instead of just going by instinct.

I know for a fact you can cut down the description/actions. But I don't really want too.

The chance of somebody reading your script at 120 pages is considerably higher than if it's at 160. If I open a script and it's longer than 120 my heart sinks. So you can have it at 160, but it's a self-indulgence. The pragmatic thing to do would be to cut it down, and keep a longer version for yourself containing the beats that you (and probably really only you) want to retain.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
"I'm so tired of...this House of Leaves!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Death By The Blues posted:

Can't wait for The Man in the High Castle on Ice.

New Series of Unfortunate Events is OK, nothing amazing *shrug*

That reminds me! There was recently a show on here which was Vanilla Ice on Ice. I poo poo you not.
Here is the poster:

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 15, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

I would watch a Baz Luhrmann movie about the Pope.

He's never do it: the costumes and settings are just too camp for him.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Budgie Jumping posted:

I watched and enjoyed Zoolander 2 today.

I enjoyed it but it was pretty forgettable and I've no desire to rewatch, unlike the original.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Truly, there is nothing quite as exhilarating as touring the coleslaw factory.

Did you get free samples?

When ordering coleslaw my chum always asks for cold sore. It makes me snigger

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Man I did not dig La La Land

We got like a super condensed David O'Russel here, Three Kings to Joy in two movies

more like ... blah blah bland [aaaaiiiirhoooorn air-air-airhooooooorn]

I dug it highly but it's your prerogative to dislike it. Ha! Take that!

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a perfectly competent political thriller.

I agree. It's a bit run-of-the-mill, and pretty forgettable, but it's enjoyable enough. Not a Best Picture, of course. I enjoyed The Artist a lot more; it has much more vibrancy and plain joy to it than Argo. (Crash is, of course, a dreadful film which I couldn't finish).

I just loved La la Land. I think this New Yorker review is pretty good, and deals nicely with the fact that the singing and dancing are not of the standard of the golden years to which they hearken back.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/12/dancing-with-the-stars

• Locked thread