Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I didn't expect you to actually go with that title but I can't say I'm not happy you did

the rare triple negative, folks!! dont miss it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

im still saving shoah to sit down and watch the entire thing in one go

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

my first 2017 movie was Yojimbo, get on my level cunts

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish Fincher would take more risks. He is an extremely competent filmmaker, and I bolt to the theater each time his next film is released, but he knows what he is good at and what makes money, and he sticks to that for the most part. I would love to see him take a new step artistically

blue squares fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 2, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

my new hobby is to once a week (at least) throw on a movie that is going to really drive my surround sound system. Today is my last day before getting back to real life so I watched Pacific Rim and then Lone Survivor back to back. Both were great but Lone Survivor was much more impressive on a sound level. Pacific Rim was LOUD, but Lone Survivor was so rich in sound. Bullets flying, explosions, ambient sound, everything was top notch.

I'm thinking about making a thread about best home theater showoff movies, discussion about if/when to upgrade to 4k, etc.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

That movie must be incomprehensible in pan & scan.

Also, I'm not a fan of the movie, but Criterion's artwork is awesome:

Awesome? Looks like a generic airport novel

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

haha i have both blu-rays, and also pierrot le fou and last year at marienbad :shittydog:

That's definitely the worst part. Open matte I can handle, but pan-scan is abhorrent.

Die yuppie scum!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Do it. I'll contribute.

While I don't care as much about whether a track has surround or not, I love it when it's an immersive mix.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Love, Actually is as bad as it looks, right?

I adore that film. The first time I saw it was on a TV/DVD combo unit with four other sailors straight out basic training, all crowded around the 10 inch screen and unexpectedly tearing up. I've since seen it at least five more times.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

The fire reportedly broke out when an old-timey car overheated and caught fire. Analysts are doing DNA analysis on a stain left on the seats

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BTW if you are not aware of this youtube channel, you're welcome in advance:

https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting/videos

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I Before E posted:

Well, it's a lot like your posting...

you better be a huge fan of Lurdiak's posting or else you and me gonna have a problem!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm going to have to go back to Seattle in a couple days, and be away from my husband for a few months again, give me all your best pick-me-up movies so I can be distracted like Mia Farrow in Purple Rose of Cairo.

Little Miss Sunshine

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

put the sheet music in a cake and give it to him

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

crawl through a tunnel of poo poo the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile, and then chisel rocks into the individual notes of the sheet music

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Walt Disney ... Eisney ... Eisner's .. Michael"

interesting evolution of the word "Disney" here

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was at a movie with a friend and his dad when some dude opened up the emergency exit door at the front of the theater (during daytime) and stood there talking on the phone. My friend's dad went up and yanked the door closed, shutting the guy out, which actually received applause. I hope you find this believable since I'm not taking credit for it. (it did happen and was awesome)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It was a 700% markup, at 8:20 in the morning on a weekday. I paid normal rate when I used them on New Year's eve. I used to talk them up because I thought I'd read they cap their markups at double, apparently I was wrong. I've used them during rushes before and always got a warning saying it'd be 25% extra or whatever, nothing this morning. I'm trying to blow them up on twitter at the moment but I only have like 12 followers so that's not really going to do anything.

https://twitter.com/sinclairking/status/817607764675465216

Share this if you want to help publicly shame them.

nice self-own

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would've said "smash cut" but I dunno if that's a real term or just a cool thing people say

It's called Dynamism, if I'm remembering my film studies class correctly

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Scorsese's best use of music is Mean Streets

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got ahold of a VHS of Air Force One when I was 10 or 11 and watched it probably 15 or more times over a period of a couple years

Also I found a VHS in our basement media room that was some very adult movie. It was about a painter and he paints the body of a naked woman. That was the first naked woman I'd ever seen. I ejected the tape and in a panic shoved it under the big TV cabinet, which had a gap big enough for the movie. I presume it remained there until we moved out years later.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No it was definitely white people

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

And no ones making this thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

weekly font posted:

Sing Street is loving adorable and I love it.

those animals are the cutest :3:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

I will not tolerate this kind of anti-Irish slander!

lmao

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was about to post about how I'd never show you people any of the lovely things I've written, but then I realized: I'm doing that just by posting.
:negative:

I wrote three drafts of a novel over the last two years but I will never show it to anyone because its still insanely bad. I gave up on it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

About to see La La Land but we got there late so we're literally in the first row :gonk:

I literally don't think I've ever sat in the very first row and really hope I'm not about to break my neck craning it.

stay for the next showing and get better seats

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

The thematic centerpiece of that movie is when they're in the armored truck trying to escape the compound and they're just slowly, awkwardly backing up and negotiating a lane change for a few minutes while everyone's screaming at everyone in languages the other parties don't understand

It's not that subversive because it still couches its anti-imperialism in that hoary "dickless bureaucrats holding OUR BRAVE TROOPS back" poo poo to an extent, but it's legitimately a rare and pleasant surprise for the moral conclusion of that logic to be "get our troops out of there" rather than "get the bureacrats out of there and let our troops fire rifles at as many brown men as it takes"

I thought the message was that Hillary should go to jail?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hidden Figures is so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Years ago when Inherent Vice first came out, I was thrilled. My favorite director and one of my favorite authors. Finally. But I HATED it in the theater when I went to go see it. I almost walked out. I don't remember why.

Today I got really stoned and finally watched it again. It was brilliant! I laughed so much and my jaw dropped at some of the cinematography. What a great movie.

• Locked thread