Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I had a muffin AND toast for breakfast and now my fat rear end feels sick :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Jenny Angel posted:

Just out of curiosity, whose voice do y'all read SMG's posts in? I usually default to Herzog but it definitely doesn't fit with 100% of his stuff

The Architect, from The Matrix.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Whenever SMG is probed, all the other characters should be like "where's SMG?"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can all of you read posts in voices that easily for real or are u just saying so as a joke, genuine question.

I give every poster a voice eventually.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Today's warmup drawing is Jubilee, the most popular X-Man (right????)

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 3, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... does everyone read my posts in the voice of all three members of The New Day shouting in unison

Just the middle one.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Lost in Space is on Syfy right now. Man that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kng_YcBxR6Y

When I was 10 this trailer blew my frickin mind how cool and dark it was :manning:

Like the whole premise is everybody is on earth is going to die, it's a pretty stark place to start from.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They keep holding long takes on the cgi space monkey too. It's like "look, we're so proud of this special effect!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What is he even a doctor of honestly, it's a title that usually implies you have at least one useful skill

Also even if it's all undone with time-travel killing all the heroes was a major holy poo poo moment to 10-year old me. When Don West looks back and is all "I'm sorry" and they all explode :aaa:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also yeah I'd love a youtube clip of Matt LeBlanc's delivery on "everyone knows time travel is impossible!" haha holy poo poo

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So after Lost in Space, The Darkest Hour came on---you know, that Russian movie that looked like a huge rip off of Skyline, that other alien invasion movie nobody saw? Although it's kinda a shame I was browsing the forums instead of paying attention it seemed kind of good.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just found out Princess Mononoke is having a special screening in my town tomorrow night and while I was reeeeaaaally attached to seeing Assassin's Creed I just can't pass this up :shepface:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hahaha if I had a scrap of sympathy for Apple ever it's gone now

(e: their stock has been flatlining is the reason for the tone in this post)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm fairly excited. I'm gonna see Princess Mononoke tomorrow evening and tonight I called my parents and was like, "DON'T YA WANNA SEE THE NEW STAR WARS???" and I think I'll see Rogue One with the folks this weekend so that's cool.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Olfactory sense telling me dog shat his crate though so things may not be good turning around and going back there now

e: Having checked no; crate was clean as was dog's furry breeches. Will scan basement for source of stink.

ee: Brown matter unfound, may just be drunk and freaking out over dogfart.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I bought and am going to drink a six pack of RED CHAIR NORTH WESTERN PALE ALE-----and it must be specifically Northwestern because nobody else would know the reference to the "red chair" of the now quasi-defunct Mount Hoodoo ski resort of Oregon, which has basically not opened in the last three years because of global warming and I'm extremely informed about this shut up

e: Oregon used to be a skiing state and it probably won't be when I die and that sucks.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's too fwiggen cold to draw

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

FishBulb posted:

I don't get gum

Some of us have what's called an ORAL FIXATION

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
agghhhhhhh, na' mah cherie, gambiggghh had hisself sum hosed up animegghh eyes befo' dat was cool nagghhhh

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So tired of these comics that are CLEARLY only getting made to be optioned by the big studios.......

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
IME if you share a story too soon you lose the drive to finish it

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
My film-reading senpai is a chatbot, dude. He does not need healthcare.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I bet you guys tell your kids there's no Santa too :colbert:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

weekly font posted:

I would give up IPAs forever if I could get a steady supply of sour and gose on the east coast.

Northwestern boy here and IPA literally flows in my veins lol

e: gotta have my hopsssssssss

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DC Murderverse posted:

we can always talk about something else

example: i'm watching BvS again. I've watched it more than anything else that's come out this year. Does this mean it's my favorite movie? probably

Related question: Is there a release of any of the DCEU movies that includes director commentary?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay so, I just got back from Live By Night. Here's a long review I'm just going to blot out b/c spoilers.

As a filmed story, it was not very good. As a view into the mind of Ben Affleck, it was priceless.

The first act of the movie (its prologue?) is interesting and, as a stand-alone film, much better than everything else. Like if they'd actually ended it with Ben Affleck coming out of prison and learning his father died (I think that was 30 minutes in), like, 9/10, very solid movie. I have never seen The Town. I sort of assume the first act was kind of a sped-up, 1920s version of The Town?

Anyway after that it turns into this macho liberal fantasy---Ben Affleck has no problem hanging out with blacks and cubans and black cubans, and actually yeah they are really explicit that American negroes are welcome into the Cubans' back rooms there's a whole blues number; Zoe Saldana's brother (actually wait, in the movie their family name is Saldana?? (I'm talking about the Cuban boss guy) has a wall full of photos of working-class people because he's such a great guy, basically. Anyway, after becoming The Foist Irishman in an Italian organization, Affleck creates a more perfect union with the cuban black Saldanas and throws open his speakeasies to all and everybody loves him except the klan, and like when they plant a burning cross in front of one of his places Ben Affleck just rushes out and confronts them like YEAH YOU WANNA PIECE OF ME, A MINORITY, AND MY FELLOW MINORITIES HERE???

I'm drifting way off point. All of this stuff is lame and boring and plays kind of pathetically in the Trump Age. There's a bunch of redneck peckerwoods getting owned by the cool liberal guy who doesn't see race, and yes they are all played by character actors or guys who look deformed. Hollywood and the West Coast are an interesting sort of omnipresent specter that hover over the proceedings, which take place entirely in Boston and Tampa Bay. It's both a promised escape and a dreamed-of, spoken-of paradise and a source of corruption, BUT FROM THAT CORRUPTION LIKE ATHENA springs the most interesting character in the movie. Like near the end of act two this preacher girl shuts down Ben Affleck's Actually Not That Bad Gambling Operation through the power of beseeching Jesus, and yes you could read it on the surface that she's meant to be this display of how genuine innocence is cynically used and destroyed by the corrupt awful culture of the HHHWHITE south but it's more interesting if you read every character in the movie as an aspect of Ben Affleck's psyche, which they all totally are. Like Zoe Saldana straight up dies after bearing Ben Affleck a son because that part of him withered when he turned his thoughts to raising a boy but BACK ON POINT. This girl is basically Ben Affleck's conscience telling him, "Ben, you can't indulge in these power fantasies where you're a tough guy from Boston----Ben, you're from like, Cambridge or w/e the poo poo, you're not this Southie tough guy. Also what's with all these violent fantasies? You keep shooting dudes and wrecking dudes and getting away with bad poo poo, that's not healthy man. You think you can be a good bad man? Like you have this fantasy where you're a bank robber but you build orphanages with the money and all the people you shoot are these southern racists who deserve it but Ben, you know that's not...." like she's totally wrecking this fantasy for him it's great.

Anyway, it's cool because Ben Affleck actually wins in the end, which is to say he lives to raise his son. He takes him to the movies and HOI HOI IRONY, while the real Ben Affleck fought a wicked southern racist sheriff who had some really hosed up sex stuff with his daughter going on, the boy enjoys a western film about a good sheriff written by Ben Affleck's brother who is in Hollywood and out of touch b/c, well Ben's a loving bank robber, and is inspired to become a cop, so you see----well I could end with a note of cheap cynicism but the ending IS better than that, honestly. Like, probably a lot of really sharp reviewers are gonna poke a bazillion holes in the Liberal 30's Antiracist Superman stuff, 'cuz it is painful, but at the same time the movie is kind of Ben Affleck's fantasy and at the same time he's critiquing all of these fantasies he has, of how if he was in the 20s-30s he would have seen through racism and fought the system and yadda yadda. Like the movie is constantly going "but Ben." In the end he does agree with his superego, the preacher chick, that freedom is bad, that's a whole interesting point.

Anyway, no, not a good movie but maybe worth seeing twice. I admit my reading really began with Ben Affleck grousing in interviews he's tired of talking about The Batman when he worked for two years to make Live By Night----idk if he directed it but I'm sure he had his hand in every step of its creation---and I'm glad we have movie stars really because we can have really personal movies like these where they put themselves out there. It actually makes the whole celebrity thing almost worth it.

e: oh gently caress I forgot to mention: in the first act, there's a really friggin awesome car chase with these old-timey 1920s steel cars. Like, it rules, it's a good chase, you can see the guys crankin on their old-timey stick shifts and poo poo. Seriously, if you could just cut the first 40 minutes of this movie into a short it'd be really good.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

wyoming posted:

"Ironic" Nazis still deserved their teeth kicked in.

SPEAKING OF NAZIS

so Guillermo del Toro posted on twitter that he would go into talks with Ron Perlman and Mike Mignola about Hellboy III IF he got 100,000 entries on a poll he posted ("do you want Hellboy III? -Yeah -Hell Yeah") and I just checked and he got about 132,000 so THAT HAPPENED IT'S HAPPENING BISSHHHH

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
WHY AREN'T YOU EXTREMELY HAPPY HELLBOY THREE IS HAPPENING YOU SONOFABITCH

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He can't just drop this poo poo after loving NINE YEARS and then be like oh it was just a twitter poll, oh no. He said he'd have a meeting with two guys who've basically wanted this for a decade and that means it's a-happening, I don't give a gently caress. Is the lady who played Liz Sherman still alive??? who cares, remake her with CGI, Seth McFarlane will reprise his role DO IT

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You know I hated Pacific Rim like it was a plague on my balls so I'm very willing to believe he's finally come back to Hellboy after his sequel was at last, after much wrangling, shut out by all and sundry

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In my fantasy world GDT catches an HBO Presentation of Pacific Rim one morning and says "oh, I made a terrible mistake" and drops that poo poo and goes back to being the director I believed so much in...?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pacific Rim is a loving garbage fire, it's on a shortlist of movies I actually hate but I'm willing to say that's 80% due to people who acknowledge the fight scenes were poo poo, the cinematography was poo poo, the characters were poo poo and the plot was poo poo but conclude "well, I liked it anyway."

WELL, gently caress YOU.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Guillermo del Toro literally betrayed me when he made Spastic Colon, his terrible condensed anime-that-wasn't-shot-like-an-anime

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nobody cared about my Live By Night review........ :(

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm still awake because I don't sleep lol

e: LIVE BY NIGHT

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I feel similar, but I'm less of a weirdo about it.

You weren't around in GBS 2014. You didn't see the long, tedious, soul crushing arguments about Pacific Rim. I started every single one.

GonSmithe posted:

I don't think anyone saw Live By Night to have a conversation with you about it, to be honest.

:smith: yeah probably.

Now soberer I still have the same opinion. seriously, Zoe Saldana's character mentions going back to be politically active in Cuba but Ben Afflwck convinces her to stay in the US with him. This movie is like some guilty dream he accidentally allowed to be filmed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm gonna go see Live By Night solely on the strength of your review.

Be sure to share your thoughts when you get back!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Mistah Twump!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Infrastructure stealing wind-swept, across our nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008