Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenny Angel posted:

Just out of curiosity, whose voice do y'all read SMG's posts in? I usually default to Herzog but it definitely doesn't fit with 100% of his stuff

David Attenborough doing the narration for Planet Earth, accompanied by dramatic music from the same show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
13 Hours is actually two and a half hours of Michael Bay screaming "what the gently caress is the point of American imperialism in the Middle East?" while some sick firefights and explosions play in the background. Highly underrated.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Redux is almost an hour longer and (going off memory) contains two additional major sequences and a lot of minor changes. I preferred Redux last time I watched both versions back-to-back, but that was almost a decade ago and my tastes have changed tremendously since then. As always with these kind of things, watch the theatrical version first.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Watching democrats mourn Chelsea Manning being pardoned is just pumping hate through my entire body.

Just heard about the pardon and desperately trying to restrain myself from reading all the hot takes for this very reason.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

:smith: yeah probably.

Now soberer I still have the same opinion. seriously, Zoe Saldana's character mentions going back to be politically active in Cuba but Ben Afflwck convinces her to stay in the US with him. This movie is like some guilty dream he accidentally allowed to be filmed.
I'm gonna go see Live By Night solely on the strength of your review.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

...but why do that when I could link you to the more recent image of the burning limo?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad to see Hacksaw Ridge got so many noms. That movie kind of came and went without much fanfare, which is a shame because it's one of the best war movies from the past decade.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

glam rock hamhock posted:

Arguments like these are how we ended up with Hillary Clinton as a nominee

Arguments like these show that a lot of people give a poo poo and want to be part of the political process, which is an inversion of the state of affairs that gave us Hillary.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie posted:

I finally watched Stop Making Sense. It was good.

Know what else I did?

Had sex

Twice

I'm so loving sore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JIbltEf_k

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mods rename me THE INTIMIDATOR

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Belly on Netflix today. Let me just say, Belly owns.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

Belly starts off amazing but the ending is pretty forgettable. From what I heard, Hype Williams was one of Kubrick's favorite cinematographers, and looking at Belly, I can see why.

And oh my Lordy there is no one finer than Taral Hicks in this

Belly's biggest problem is that the gangster lifestyle is shown as so incredibly sexy and alluring that it's difficult to make leaving it all behind look attractive. The plot and the visual storytelling start diverging so hard near the end that the movie starts unraveling. That's not as big of a knock as it seems like, though, because the confusion sort of mirrors the internal struggles of the protagonists. I don't think it really wraps up as cleanly as it could have, but it's a hell of a ride right up until the final seconds. Just so watchable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Belly is incredible, unfinished or no.
I got the feeling that some things were missing from the resolution, but did something happen that prevented Hype Williams from really finishing it?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Same thing that always happens: he ran out of money.

Ah yeah, should have guessed it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Belly does the same thing but takes it to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaN7wB85a4

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The RNC trip report episode is good. To be honest, Chapo wasn't as good before the election as they have been since. It may not be worth listening to older episodes unless you're really into their style of humor.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stranger Things was fun kiddie adventure fluff. I get the glowing praise, but I can't agree it's essential viewing or anything.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Stranger Things was fun kiddie adventure fluff. I get the glowing praise, but I can't agree it's essential viewing or anything.

What the gently caress dude, how can you hate STRANGER THINGS!?!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not actually clever tho, which is why I need the reassurance.

New thread title

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

RLM very obviously learned about movies
I'm gonna have to stop you there.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Season 4 of The Killing was the last time I eagerly awaited the premier of a new season of a TV show, and it was so bad that it turned me off of scripted TV dramas for a while.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

didn't she and her husband also try to get their kids' school segregated or some poo poo

that bit she did scolding protesters was pretty bad too.
Yeah, specifically they were part of a group who wanted to block school redistricting that would desegregate the neighborhood schools on the grounds that "how dare the Dept of Ed cause any disruption to our carefully curated Rich New Yorker Lifestyles to benefit anyone outside our lil socioeconomic solidarity bloc." Sam Bee's husband even got up in front of a public hearing and warned everyone present not to talk to the press about the redistricting process because doing so might result in undue outside influence. Thankfully, their side lost the struggle.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

glam rock hamhock posted:

The problem is there are different levels of Trump supporters. There is a very vocal group that can't be argued with or brought over or anything like that but there are those that voted for him because they were mainly worried about having a job this year, they care about that way more than anything the left tries to shame them into having to care about and Trump was the only one actually talking about saving/bringing in jobs. These people also don't tend to be all that vocal about their support though.

I mean, if all the people that voted for Trump are irredeemable racists that agree with all of his policies than we are hosed anyways so we might as well just lay down and die. Like I'm not saying that there aren't many cases where the argument just isn't worth engaging in but just labeling everyone that isn't on board "the enemy" isn't gonna do all that much
Okay, you've made the intellectual distinction between different genres of Trumpists. How does this meaningfully inform your strategy?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This article was reposted here https://berniesanders.com/bernie-sanders-loyalists-taking-democratic-party-one-county-office-time/

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hbomberguy posted:

I saw Get Out in Williamsburg with my girlfriend and it was amazing, everyone should see it immediately.

Maybe it's because I haven't been in an American theatre very often but the way people shout and clap at certain moments (and in Get Out you'll know which moments) is exhilarating and I wish people did that in the UK.

I have never been happier to see the words 'Airport'.

Assuming you went to Williamsburg Cinemas, the audiences there are more enthusiastic about the moviegoing experience than just about anywhere. I'm pretty sure it would be my theater of choice for that reason, even if it wasn't convenient and cheap.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
After seeing Silence on Saturday, I'd like to say an extra special gently caress-you to the Academy for practically snubbing it in the nominations, and then passing it over for Best Cinematography, which it absolutely deserved.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only bring up Marvel movies in real life if someone explicitly asks what kind of movies I'm not into, which is kind of a weird question and not a very interesting line of conversation anyway. It happens more often than I'd like.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

I think it's on some checklist of questions to ask someone when you find out they are into movies.

It's definitely on a certain kind of person's checklist, the kind that doesn't like to hear my answer. For a little while last year it got replaced by "Man, I bet you think Beavis was fuckin' terrible, huh?" which is about 20 times more interesting as a subject of conversation.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally got approved to maintain a curated shelf at work! It's gonna be fluid as things come and go, but these were my first picks. Am I good?
Good job :cheerdoge:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie posted:

My gf hated They Live because "it sucked" and the political satire was "hamfisted"

Someone vindicate me, it's good as hell right?

Subtlety is overrated

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Cold-pressed juice" is the same thing as "raw juice", which has been around decades at this point, and is just unpasteurized juice with some of the fiber left in it. Add that to the list of ways the Juicero is a non-innovative innovation.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

married but discreet posted:

Anyone seen War Machine? Maybe it's advertised wrong, but a lighthearted American comedy about how they hosed up in Afghanistan seems a bit tasteless.

It's a mashup of In the Loop and This is What Winning Looks Like, but done really straight and ponderously. Brad Pitt's performance is just Aldo Raine "for real".

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo that thread title

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
imo Zizek is best enjoyed in film or lecture format, if you're going to try to engage with his ideas at all. His prose style is the worst I've ever read.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reading Capital on its own is definitely a huge undertaking and though I wouldn't dissuade you from it, huge chunks of it are specifically tied up in the context of 19th-century Britain that its meaning may be lost without a companion book (I would recommend the ones by Michael Heinrich or David Harvey, Harvey also has a video lecture series on Capital as well)
This is absolutely true. I haven't read Heinrich's Introduction, but I can't recommend Harvey highly enough if anyone is looking to better understand Capital or Marxist thought more generally. He's one of the few prominent thinkers today who uses dialectical materialism as a scientific method, which Marx intended it to be when he was developing it. He's written some really good insight into globalization, cities, neoliberalism and its governing style. I think the best place to start (aside from Companion to Capital if that's your thing) is The Ways of the World, a collection of his essays and articles from the past 40 years.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, on the subject of movies, I finally watched Chappie this weekend and it was weird in the best way and good as hell.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Has anyone read Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism?? Cause this book opens talking about Children of Men and then leads into The Thing and needless to say it os extremely dope so far (like 10 pages in).

I'm gonna move this one up on my reading list, it sounds even more interesting than expected. (RIP Mark Fisher :( )

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Being super disingenuous in one's arguments is a loving tribute to SMG.
Ah, the acceptable kind of smugness

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm gonna pop my Alamo Drafthouse cherry with a screening of The Bad Batch this weekend.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's really funny is that SMG's tone and mode of engagement with others are an essential element of his posts. I don't just mean like a signature style or something, but that they provide additional context and content for the argument being presented. Like it or not, it's pretty tough to take the argument without everything else and end up with the same understanding.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beasts of No Nation (2015, dir./d.p. Cary Joji Fukunaga)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Halfway through filming, the producers realized they were getting Return of the Jedi Han when they wanted Empire Strikes Back Han. They'll probably end up with neither.

• Locked thread