Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Ended 2016 with The War Room... well, watched that the night before the election and then didn't watch anything else.

UNTIL TONIGHT, starting off 2017 with The Monkees in Head (1968).

It's somethin'.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKdtX8MFmc

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Season 4 of the Wire is real good, but I think I like season 2's laser focus on narrowing down both sides of a single crime thing, and how the criminal and legal elements build towards each other. I just finished episode 2 of season 5 and WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON WITH JIMMY, IS HE REALLY STAGING A HOMICIDE SCENE HOLY poo poo. I'm kinda disappointed there are only 8 episodes left, I'm really loving it.

People kinda poo poo on – well, okay, that's a bit strong, maybe roll their eyes and make the jerkoff motion at – season 5 for reasons, but I found it as entertaining and a fitting end.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've just kinda been here.

The only contribution of mine (and it wasn't lasting) that comes to mind/I'm proud of is when I edited an image of the readout in 2010: The Year We Make Contact to say

ALL OF THESE THREADS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT FOR BATMAN
ATTEMPT NO POSTING THERE
USE THEM TOGETHER
USE THEM IN PEACE

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I want to remake Stunt Rock with some other gimmicky-but-pretty-good band and, I dunno, Zoë Bell.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
One of my first epiphanies about being a white dude came when about three or four chapters into reading To Kill a Mockingbird in high school I realized Scout was a girl. If I recall correctly that's the first point at which any language specifically indicates this, and up til that point I'd just assumed otherwise. First time I really stopped to consider what it meant to assume white/male as the default, and whether people who weren't might hold the same assumptions or not.

Also IIRC Coffee is Bi or pan.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I hope the pictures are three-dimensional, so blind people will be able to share in this information. That way, we won't need eyes to see!

I forgot about this and it's only vaguely coming back.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They Shoot Horses Don't They is incredible.

It's soooooooo bitter and just a bit surreal near the end.

Plus, Grandpa Munster!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The villains are the best part of every Mad Max movie.

My favorite part of any Mad Max is the little moment where Lord Humungus looks at an old photo.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I really do love a lot of the episode titles, even ones from the seasons I haven't watched.

Bart Gets an F followed in the same season by Bart's Dog Gets an F makes me laugh on its own.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Kids in movies: Margaret O'Brien is fantastic in Meet Me in St. Louis, also it was her birthday the other day.

Egbert Souse posted:

What if you're one of the Van Dykes on a motorcycle? I can't imagine Jesus being angry at Dick or Jerry. :(

One time I saw Jerry Van Dyke's dick.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought season 2 was often considered as the best/second best season. People hate that season? I loved it because it was the most focused, it just tackled two sides of one crime, and the efforts to get one over on the other guys.

I have not seen Homicide, it was also a Simon show, right?

He had a hand in it and it's what got him into television but his biggest contribution was writing the book it was based off of. A lot of little bits in The Wire also came from Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I read it shortly after finishing The Wire a couple years ago, which was fun.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hello I've been un-Internet for a time duration:

Skwirl posted:

loving christ, I was gonna watch it tonight with a glass of whiskey but have drank too much already for to have a coherent opinion on it. I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon with said glass of whiskey and report back my opinions.

Through a Glass Dark Archiely

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Stop Having Sex

This Must Be the Place (Nivea Melody)

Hey guys was there ever a time I didn't shitpost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

sipping a daiquiri through a five-foot silly straw that spells out "ARBEIT MACHT FUN"

:thurman:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My father-in-law likes to start spouting Breitbart-esque word clumps about black crime and Indian chiefs "hoarding money", at which point I gently excuse myself to go sit on the toilet and play electronic Yahtzee.

hateball man you're on loving fire.

Budgie Jumping posted:

The Fault in Our Mars.

Everybody on loving fire!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A point of contention with H.Bomberguy: the new Mario game isn't contrasting Mario with 'reality'. It's drawing some trickier associations between Mario and Grand Theft Auto. The point seems to be that Mario is the Tommy Vercetti of his particular universe - so, when you trade their places, it's both a radical alien intrusion and ultimately a joke that not much has changed. Item blocks are now (revealed to be?) street signs, turtles are taxi-cabs, etc. At a certain level, it's just a palette swap.

SuperMechaGodzilla have you ever played or seen Whoa Dave!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

having to flip an album halfway through automatically makes it better. LPs and tapes are king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5XgkG0JfI

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 31, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Rest in peace, my old 55" TV. Been through a lot together over the last few years; even moved up to Washington with me. We spent a lot of time with some really great movies. You will be deeply missed.

I had an old 14" CRT since childhood in decent working shape aside from a few minor points that finally died last year when it took a tumble off of a moving TV cart. It maybe could have been fixed but that wouldn't have been worth it, and I don't even know a place that would repair tube TVs anymore. Probably have to find some guy.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Short of the Day
Summer's Puke is Winter's Delight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKiU9otpIO0
Warning: Extremely :nws: and :nms: in ways that are hard to really explain with words.

Basically this is a psychedelic as gently caress kind of funky tribute to bulimia. It's both awesome and horrific.

Bumping this. It is indeed funky, awesome, and horrific. Not as gross as you might fear, unless you really, really hate puke noises.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

What's a good movie to watch to deal with something you waited for for 28 years kinda sucking? And no, I don't mean losing my virginity, you low-hanging fruit grabbers.

Congrats on not losing your virginity.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
"low-hanging fruit grabbers" are what I call my underpants

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

So there's apparently a giant arcade stocked with tons of imported cabinets in the middle of nowhere, attached to a dead mall in Taunton, MA. I went there expecting a Dave and Buster's kind of deal and was pleasantly surprised to find tons of classic fighting game cabs, as well as fun gimmicky stuff like Taito Drummer and that dumb table flipping game. A huge section of UFO cranes, too. Probably the coolest thing I saw was this game Gunslinger Stratos, though, which is an extremely anime game that's in the 3rd person team-vs action genre that's gotten big over there, like Gundam VS etc. What's especially interesting, though, is that it uses a lightgun mechanic- the guns have joysticks on them for moving your character, but the aiming is done with the pair of akimbo pistols, which have magnets embedded in them so that when you link them together in different configurations, your character will equip a different weapon. It's super cool and actually a good game, to boot.

That's rad. Reminds me of the time I went to the mall once for the first time in quite a while and there was an arcade that had a Samba de Amigo 2000 cabinet, the Episode I Racer Sega game, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, and a Cue Ball Wizard pinball machine.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

It's one of the better Gottlieb tables, too!

I have a certain fondness for it because I played the hell out of it in the old Microsoft Pinball Arcade game. Finally seeing it in the wild during a time when you couldn't find a loving pinball machine anywhere was a trip.

I still question how much I actually need that ramp shot, though, despite exhortations to the contrary.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you want to know a little more about pinball then I highly recommend the documentary TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball. The movie itself is on iTunes and is pretty good for what's basically a 60 minute, one man rookie production focusing on the story of how the team at Williams pushed a last-ditch technological gimmick that was pretty cool in order to keep pinball alive, and then Williams immediately pulled the original Konami on 'em. However, I STRONGLY suggest getting the DVD if you're very curious, because it is absolutely loaded with extras, including extended interview footage, footage of rare tables and prototypes, the pinball factory itself... it's nuts. The current little resurgence was still a ways off when this first came out, so it's also a little bit of a time capsule of the decade or so where pinball barely existed.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah that stretch from like, 2000 to 2010 was really dire.

You would see a Shrek, a Family Guy, or one random old table in disrepair. Maybe Sopranos and South Park or one of the other Sterns.

Now at there are a few more Sterns and people getting machines in working shape and putting them out there.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

bows1 posted:

Tim McGraw was quite good in Friday Night Lights (the movie)

Also, Tom Waits has done some solid acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tTzEifY6M

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I ever become a musician I'm gonna make an album that has jump scares in it.

On Some Faraway Beach → Blank Frank

also the playout groove on Sgt. Pepper.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The National Film Board of Canada has an amazing online archive of really nicely transferred films going all the way back to 1917, it's pretty excellent.

Sweet.

Here's a classic: The Cat Came Back

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 22, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

wyoming posted:

I just finished up my first year in Stardew Valley, I'm dating the the weird girl with purple hair, have a cow and a goat, and two chickens.
It's a pretty chill game.
Finally figured out how to fish over winter, why is fishing in videogames always so bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Bbd8UQL_k&t=1253s

wyoming posted:

The first game showed secrets you could never get, so gently caress it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqvcJaZ0l0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNQn7X6E1LI

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Skwirl posted:

Hey everyone, this right here is the best thread on the entire forum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809527

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Repo Man's okay.

I saw it without knowing anything about it and it hit me like a tornado.

Subsequent viewings are not quite the same. Still good though.

I've still gotta see the TV edit.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Alhazred posted:

I remember that in GTA IV you could drive like a maniac and no one would care but if you forgot to pay the toll on the bridge the cops would instantly be on your rear end.

I'm led to believe this is authentic to the actual New York City.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

I dreamt that there was a real huge fat cat Garfield was based on and that I was petting it. I blame Lasagna cat and my medication.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Resident Evil 4 has one of my favorite credits sequences. After a whole cheesy action game of just blasting the poo poo out of mind-control-plagued Spaniards you get this elegiac series of still sketches and music depicting how these poor villagers were taken in and taken over by the main villains. It's arguably ludicrous and unearned given the game's overall tone, but I think it still works as kind of a standalone bit even then.

As for movies, I sit through them to the end almost every time. The music is typically god come-down. I get irrationally annoyed when watching something with someone and they suddenly blast through the credits as it ends.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Repo Man owns so does Walker.

Walker is fantastic. It's hilarious and angry and educational and fabricated in all the best ways.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Josh Lyman posted:

It's nearly 3 am and my sleep schedule is hosed. Do I go to the grocery store and get peanuts, pistachios, or something else?

chocolate pudding.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Franchescanado posted:

Is Street Fighter V still garbage? I'm looking for a fighter for PS4.

King of Fighters XIV is another option. The cast is huge right out of the gate.

therattle posted:

I should take up an interesting hobby, like collecting vintage kettles.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/kettle.asp

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Timby posted:

Yeah, I mean, I loving love the 1994 Street Fighter movie (everyone praises Julia in it, and he's magical considering his health at the time, but I also just adore how it goes whole hog with the absurdity, and Revell's score is excellent), but I'd never confuse it with being "good."

Spatulater bro! posted:

Exactly. If Timby loves Street Fighter, he should confidently argue its greatness on the basis that "it goes whole hog with the absurdity, and Revell's score is excellent".

I'll go to bat for Street Fighter. It's funny on purpose. The guy from the UN is the best character after Bison. When the final showdown kicks off it's practically nonstop action until the end. Everyone ends up in their game costumes somehow after most of them spending a good portion of the runtime not in them. I want Zangief to be my friend.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Guys, Persona... was really loving awesome

It is. Now skip 2 and go right to 3.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I tried an oculus once and now i can only have sex in the matrix

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

weekly font posted:

So I was a neglected orphan Sega Genesis kid and I'm gonna emulate up an SNES and play Link to the Past, Castlevania and Metroid. Any other classics I'm missing? No real interest in Mario world.

Echoing everything already mentioned, with an emphatic nod towards Mega Man X.

Also if you like shooters/shmups/STGs check out Space Megaforce and the Parodius series.

Also Demon's Crest. Also Magical Adventure starring Mickey Mouse.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

DeimosRising posted:

Yes please

Edit I'm tryna marathon the noirs I recorded last week (angel face, out of the past, whatever happened to baby Jane? (Sort of), and Scarlet Street. I'm 3 in and I don't know if my soul can handle more

These movies all rule.

If Born to Kill and The Narrow Margin show up, give them a look.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Subway is white noise for your mouth.

[ASMR] Funky Kong feeds you a Subway Meatball Marinara

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched Multiple Maniacs today. That was a hell of an escalation at the end there. :stare:

I'm gonna have to incorporate "I love you so much I could poo poo." next time I'm with my girlfriend.

Nice continuation of "I love you more than I love my own poo poo" from Pink Flamingos.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have an even more embarrassing food commercial story.

Back in high school, I had the mp3 of the Burger King commerical Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch on my 512mb mp3 player. I was waiting at the bus stop before school with the volume too loud. The girl next to me asks "Is that the Burger King song???" And the only response I could give was "...yes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovcEogqIcEA

I Before E posted:

I wish people would stop watching movies so we could talk about burgers and comic books in peace

morestuff posted:

What kind of dummy eats a cucumber salad when cruellers exist

https://twitter.com/chiIIjake/status/844382189961797632

therattle posted:

Makes sense. I just read the story: he loved the band so he wrote the song for them after they turned down Suffragette City.

Here's another great Bowie being a friend/fan moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9fGh38X_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CPL593H posted:

I'm a huge David Bowie fan and I was really into Mott The Hoople for a while. A thing people always overlook about Bowie is that he had a great eye for talent and picked a lot of great people to collaborate with either in a big way like Iggy Pop or Lou Reed or in terms of finding musicians to work with in the studio and on stage. But anyway I agree with you about All The Young Dudes. The Bowie studio version just isn't as good at Mott's version or his own live version. I also really like the Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture version so much because it's part of a really good medley. I spend a lot of time listening to and/or reading about this kind of stuff. I also like to read album credits to see what musicians were involved. Bowie worked with an amazing list of people in the 70s.

Drummer Dennis Davis worked with Bowie a lot in the 70s and also died last year. His son's interviewing his dad's friends about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY0JBiRBLH4

• Locked thread