Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ended 2016 getting paid twice my usual rate to work in a field I know nothing about and managed to come out the other side with compliments, so that was a thing. I'm sad I missed threadnamedome but I doubt I would have beat this, so

also I found my gift arsenal for next year's secret santa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GoPro zombie is an absolutely incredible group viewing experience if there's at least one person who didn't know the gimmick of the short going in. I watched all of the V/H/S movies blind with the same group of friends and we all realized what was going to happen at the exact same time, it was great.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The George Lucas edits are noticeably inferior to the original cut

Lmao, the death Star dogfight sequence of the theatrical cut looks like loving garbage compared to the SE cut among other things

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I don't quite understand this. Does Fox's ownership pertain strictly to theatrical distribution or theatrical and video? Because of Fox are the rights holders for the video release why don't they just put out the original versions themselves?

As I always understood it, the original Masters for the original Star Wars were so utterly hosed beyond belief from being copied way too many times and also poorly preserved (and what was left was reconstituted into the '97 SE) that a restoration to the original state would be comically expensive and involve a lot of sampling from second- and later generation prints just to have the full thing.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I love that video; Anno has always been the world's biggest loving nerd.

Shin Godzilla needs to come out on Blu Ray so I can loving watch it, goddamn.

I love the revelation from the art book that toho apparently tried to just use Anno as a concept guy and marketing tool, only for him to tell them to eat poo poo and forcibly take the show over from higuchi.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Here's a great song by a band called Peelander-Z: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5s-k6dlL04

Peelander Z is great, I saw them live once at otakon and they kept inviting people up to vamp until they'd replaced the whole band with audience members, at which point they straight up left for like five minutes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm gonna reach for the sun here and remake Metropolis, with the full force of modern SFX to portray the city, reintroduce the lost scenes, and maybe tighten up the script so that the delivery of the moral isn't quite so twee.

corn in the bible posted:

Also, a modern film: I would redo Passengers and not butcher the script into a loving romcom

I have some bad news for you about which parts of the script got changed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I Don't Even Own A Television is a podcast about bad books, if that's helpful

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Also Last Podcast On The Left is a true crime/conspiracy podcast with a very black sense of humor, though it's not at all for everybody

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Maggie_shopping_cart_1999_vs_2009.gif

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I enjoy the image of Mario invading a semi-realistic city and forcing people to engage in his hat-based tomfoolery

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure the switch is going to succeed on the strength alone of launching with the Zelda title every kid who ever played ocarina of Time as a child wanted

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I thought M was the big reason he had to flee Germany.

According to Wikipedia the last straw was The testament of Dr. Mabuse getting banned by the nazi party, along with him realizing what way the wind was blowing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To loop this convo back, my parents were impressively bad at judging the age-approprateness of movies, which resulted in my first David Lynch exposure being watching Mulholland Drive with them at age 12

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

TIL people actually like Rubber (2010)

The first five minutes are pretty good, but everything after that is an exercise in running a singular joke right into the ground.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

But I'm not asking anyone to fund it. Just to help me fix it. So I feel like that treatment on my work, at least that first response about the camera angles, and the MIB 2 thing, felt really mean, and uncalled for.

I'm going to level with you here, I haven't read your script, but this is a really lovely attitude to have about a creative endeavor in general. One of the first rules about showing your work to someone and asking their opinion is to understand that you are asking them to look at it as if they would or would not invest in it and why. If you say "critique my work," then the person you ask is, for the duration of the critique, an investor or supervisor, not your loving friend.

A script is not a sandbox. It is not practice. It is a formalized structure for storytelling, and there are rules. you absolutely should be raked over the coals for putting camera directions in a script because "no camera directions in the script" is a basic rule of scriptwriting. Yes, a lot of writer-directors break those rules, but the successful ones put their money where their mouth was and had a hell of a lot of luck, and for every one that made it, a hundred hosed their careers over irreversibly because they kept ignoring the rules and people just stopped offering to work with them after a while.

If people are harsh, it's not because they get off on mocking you, it's to emphasize that they aren't joking when they say what you're doing wrong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

married but discreet posted:

Convincing CelticPredator to post his script even though he was reluctant to do so and then ridiculing it here was quite the dick move. Maybe this is how criticism is expressed in film school to people who have learned to grow a thick skin, but that's sure as hell not how you treat someone in a non-professional environment like this thread.

Lmao I loving wish crits went hard in film school, I can't count the number of film school nerds I've come across in live production who can't wrap a cable and get huffy when you show then the right way. The academic seeing is infamous for being incredibly softball about criticism only for grads to suffer incredible culture shock when they enter the industry.

Like, if you think this is harsh, try a crit in a moderate sized graphic design house, where the people critiquing you have an active interest in seeing you bomb out because they're competing with you for the project.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

But wrapping cables are loving hardddddddddddddddd.

To speak of genuinely unearned harshness, one of my first days on the job involved seeing a lighting director explode on a stagehand, who couldn't have been more than 20, for elbow-wrapping a DMX cable. Dude went so hard that the hand ended up leaving early because they were so shell shocked that they couldn't do much of anything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Watched a Joe Biden speech, he looks and sounds like an older Bob Odenkirk

The one he did in Wilmington? I dunno if anyone actually used it but I was TDing the feed going to the big screens in the room and we provided a feed for any media who couldn't stake a spot in the room itself, so you may have seen some of my work

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

On reflection as I watch it again as is tradition, one ofAKIRA's better aspects is how Kaneda is essentially a looney tunes character in an otherwise serious setting

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

weekly font posted:

Imagine being the guy who was mid unironic sentence about the origins of Pepe when you got punched in the face and cried and the whole Internet laughed at you.

Best part: said nazi has since expressed genuine terror at the idea of going out to speak only to get punched again, adding an additional data point proving that violent protest actually works

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saying that violence isn't the answer is a plainly bullshit idea when we're in this mess specifically because "trying to be the better man" failed utterly and completely on all possible levels.

gently caress 'em. Kill nazis in the street, tbh.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right?

Set them on fire.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The fireman slightly smoking as he walks by is what sells this

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm five minutes into The Wraith and it's the kind of Maximum 80's movie I thought only existed in bad parody

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a movie I stumbled upon once and it's the sort of thing where I kept wondering how I had never heard of it before.

You'd think pop culture would get some mileage out of Charlie Sheen, Ghost RoboCop

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

gently caress Whitey posted:

the clip from new chapo of the kid burning poo poo is fantastic

"because i want to, and i want to say screw our president!"

I will be proud to serve under that child in the American rebellion of 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

wyoming posted:

I had heard he was punched a second time after the cameras were off, so, maybe?
Either way, more than one Nazi out there to punch.

It's definitely a different punch cause the famous one was to the side of Spencer's head and this one's head on

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CPL593H posted:

In a perfect world everyone down the whole length of the street would have punched him in the face as he walked by.

The Cuban Pete sequence but everyone is punching Richard Spencer in time to the music

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

what happend to blockbuxter video

it got promoted to being a full, separate forum in spite of being less active than the loving dorkroom

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

My Antifa weapon of choice will be a wooden staff sort of like Gandalf's except it'll have a stun gun/electric cattle prod built into the business end.

I enjoy the classics, so baseball bat or brick inna sock are gonna be my go-tos

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean, the American remake definitely makes great use of its production value, Sadako just looks too clean in the TV emergence scene compared to the hellish, drippy, interlaced video ghost that Samara is in the remake version of that scene

On a semi related note, I've never seen anything in the Ju-On franchise aside from loose clips, but while I was planning to watch the original DTV movies I found out that Kayako Saeki was played by the same Japanese actress in the originals and the American remake, which is kind of cool

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Hmm. I assumed it was limited to people with a clinical diagnosis or case history.

It did, but all of those things were things you could get clinically diagnosed with up till a couple decades/years ago

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kojima really is shockingly prescient for all the poo poo he gets, tbh

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

To me all a good steak needs is salt and maybe some butter.

This is the whitest loving thing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

What I don't understand is how was the video shot? Someone happened to have a video camera on a tripod?

I haven't seen The Ring, but the whole premise sounds dumb.

It has literally been over a decade since I watched anything Ring related, but the haunted tape and the image of Sadako/Samara crawling out of a well are two separate, distinct aspects of the haunting - the haunted video that plants the curse in you is the result of someone building a house over sadako's death site and the ghost haunting the poo poo out of a VHS recorder, and isn't actually a depictional video so much as a montage of freaky poo poo. Samara/Sadako crawling out of a TV and glaring you to death is what happens seven days later when the curse has matured and the ghost can physically manifest in your presence.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I like brown rice in theory but it just doesn't taste as good, what am I doing wrong?

Eating it on its own, probably, put some beans with that poo poo

the actual health differences between white and brown rice are kind of marginal and rice on its own isn't actually that great for you anyway

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I always wanted to read Ring and Rasen because from what I heard they're both extremely the sort of psychopunk horror genre you see in stuff like Tetsuo the Iron Man or Akira, just on a smaller scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

You fill me with disgust and I am making this for dinner tomorrow

Overwhelming existential disgust is the proper reaction to anything involving the human physiology, imo

• Locked thread