Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ended 2016 with Orlando, started 2017 with a Collateral Beauty/Manchester By The Sea double feature, so now I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

Absolutely.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Lmao at Michael Rapaport going off about Chapo Trap House

It's amazing to find out he's literally his character from Bamboozled.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Missed thread title opportunity:

What happened here

E: nvm, also I read SMG as the PBS Idea Channel guy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, that's a good one.

Here's an idea: what if the Star Wars prequels... are actually good?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Love, Actually is as bad as it looks, right?

Well, it's a lot like your posting...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

you better be a huge fan of Lurdiak's posting or else you and me gonna have a problem!

I haven't actually seen the movie, I just like making "much like your posting" gags

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

porfiria posted:

Which of the editions features a Red CG Devil walking in front of the camera during the climactic exorcism scene?

Exorcist.wad

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BRRRRP Morty, Morty, it's just, it's just the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon BRRP of ostensibly adult characters engaged in presexual intimacy. I mean jeez Morty, they're BRRRRRP they're not even at the level of of Matthew Broderick in Hackers, taking his shirt off in front of a girl.

Morty.

Morty, you know what the erotic appeal of Sonic is, like for the fans? H-BRRRRP-e doesn't gently caress. Ever. Doesn't need to. Ever, Morty. It's aaaaaaall in the eyes, M-URRRRRRR-orty. Eyes and the chili dogs. Just, just looking at you and eating the chili dogs, that's sex to him. That's satisfaction.

And, and so that's why Finn and Poe will never gently caress, Morty, they'll just keep hugging and sharing clothes, even though they're like 25, 30. They just don't ne-UUUUURP-ed to.

Okay so that's the birds and the bees, now let's get that quantum impURPlant into your spine.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm the only existing record of that guy who hosed a dog, so I have that going for me...

Morally Inept?

Also I think the only good thing I've done for any gen chat is that Rick version of the SMG post from a page or two ago.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think it'd have been more obvious if my new avatar wasn't in german but from what I understand it roughly translates to "Congratulations Doctor! Your team is addicted to you"

Do not, my friend, become addicted to Mercy. She will take hold of you and you will regret her absence.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I liked Infinite Vacation but Spencer has just been on a downward spiral since then.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'd really like to understand what's going on with youtube's search algorithm sometimes.

Wait who hates The Cable Guy?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Well I've only seen the one everyone else is talking about but I'll take the bold stance of saying *.*

Pirates Of Silicon Valley is actually pretty good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Lexi Alexander is fun because she likes pissing off MRA types. I nominate her for General of the Alt-Left army.

She blocked me and I have no idea why.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Biodome posted:

Didn't know Max Landis posted here.

Ouch

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

Batman Forever, because that movie could be so much better and gayer, and it's already decent and decently gay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hey, if you want to see a vampire and a werewolf walk towards each other while pumping bullets into each other's chests and then scream so hard at each other that the bullets fly out of their bodies, then watch Underworld: Blood Wars.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I ran out of Smugfilm and Frost/Christman. Are there any other good podcasts that ARE NOT bad movie comedy casts?

Travis Bickle On The Riviera is one of my favorite movie podcasts, I'd recommend their Tony Scott vs Ridley Scott bracket special to see what they're about. They're definitely more on the freewheeling and tangential side of things.

Filmspotting is more serious, it's public radio, but they have interesting discussions.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

broken sm57 posted:

This spurred me to read a few Armond White reviews and I kind of love them. Granted his reviews all seem to be analyzing movies through a political framework I whole heartedly disagree with, but his reads are entertaining, in the way any well thought out but still kind of reach-y film reading can be.

Plus I find the way he tosses out a half dozen hot takes totally unrelated to the movie at hand over the course of any given review endlessly enjoyable. (Although I totally understand why someone would find that annoying)

A leftist version of Armond White would probably be my ideal film critic.

So SMG

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Hence my dislike for both.

Armond White doesn't write nearly enough about Sonic, tbh.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I want to believe. What is happening? What happened to us? What happened to the American dream?

The American dream was always horseshit.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

What am I looking at? Is this an obtuse way of saying Trent Reznor's dead?

That's Chris Gaines.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FishBulb posted:

A black man

Nobody remembers Chris Gaines

I remember Chris Gaines.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The music in suicide squad isn't just obvious, but also unfocused. There's two distinct groups the songs fall under, retro stuff and songs made for the movie (Purple Lamborghini, Standing In The Rain, etc), and they're used interchangeably, with no thematic distinction between when one or the other is used. Even within the retro stuff there's sort of a Vietnam War thing going on that fits thematically, but that's maybe half the retro songs in there, with the rest being very on the nose or, in the case of Without Me, completely useless.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as long as we're sharing takes on American Ultra, I liked Kristen Stewart and Topher Grace but thought it was a piece of poo poo otherwise.

My take exactly, I was just about offended by how flagrantly they wasted Walton Goggins.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I thought he played a pretty good heavy. The last scene with him was the dumbest thing ever, though.

They had Walton Goggins, who is one of the most effective actors around in terms of projecting menace through dialogue, and had most of his screentime taken up with what is maybe the least threatening villainous laugh in film history.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unironic woke Plinkett.

I think we can close the thread now because nothing that follows will be as devastating as this.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wait wait I got one more:

You know that episode of King of the Hill where Bill dresses as Santa for Christmas and everyone thinks it's cute and he can't let go of that feeling so he starts dressing as Santa all year round and it gets really sad? That's Film Crit Hulk.

:drat:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So angry!

Also I think you misunderstood my point. I was just trying to make a point that despite how bad a person is, they're successful so they probably have something to offer.

Not much though.

Success is not always based on merit, and should not be your main criterion for who you should model yourself after, in life or art.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone is their avatar, factually.

I should probably change my av to Tilda so it matches everywhere else including IRL

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Did somebody say Belly?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I meant the exposition for that scene is the most important thing.

If exposition is the most important part of a scene, that's a pretty underdeveloped scene. Exposition should be there but it should help serve thematic development or characterization instead of just being more boring plot.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

wyoming posted:

Everytime he mentions being hot in the 90s, I image degrees, like oozing sweat in the summer.

pleatherjoggers4life

That Benz must smell horrific.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Time for me to come out about being uknowme173

What color is your Benz

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Same color as my tims

Is that a custom color or do they actually sell Benzes in Timb Orange?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The only worthwhile games platform is an emulator on your phone

Or a ps2

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

House Of Leaves But Every Time There's An Obnoxious Formal Choice It Gets Faster

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like a parking lot?

So Harris liked heavy metal and parking lots?

morestuff posted:

One of the new owners randomly started drawing Sambo while I was having a work conversation with him. This morning I got called a human being for eating one donut instead of two

That new Jordan Peele movie is seeming a lot less farfetched now

I Before E fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

To me, the Sambo thing is funny because I kind of imagine it like in a movie/TV show where someone is absent mindedly drawing something & it helps them come to some grand conclusion except it's a racist dumbass so at the end he just looks and it's like...

It's more like Ray Smuckles drawing the sourdough.

• Locked thread