Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Have another Night of the Living Dead edit - this time I intercut it with two Edison Studios comedies: The Watermelon Patch and Laughing Gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zNLUnJNISg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RandallODim posted:

I watched VHS 2 last night and Safe Haven is super dope, as is Slumber Party Alien Abduction and the fact that the frame ends as a stupid comedy. The first two are just wet farts though.

gently caress you, the GoPro zombie short was brilliant and at least as good as "Safe Haven."

But, yeah, the first one about the cyber-eye was garbo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RandallODim posted:

GoPro Zombie just didn't do anything for me. It wasn't actively lame like ghost cybernetics, which squandered a solid premise, but it just didn't feel like it did anything especially unique in any meaningful sense. I think I just wish that the tone of comedy horror to 'zombie learns he can't eat a wallet' was the more predominant element, though that might be just because the ending leans way hard into pathos in a way that didn't work at all for me.

I don't think it's a hard lean at all. The film plays very interestingly with the conventions of 'point-of-view,' underscoring how the GoPro gives us the illusion that we're taking in a 'subjective experience,' but one which is functionally always 'above' the action, and which isn't influenced by external stimuli at the interpersonal level which a 'subjective' should communicate. "A Ride in the Park" is an objective account from the perspective of the videodrome, revealing symbolically that the 'undead' are really just 'sick people.' It's also the only short which explicitly parallels the frame narrative, both prominently featuring themes of isolation (this time domesticity rather than open nature), suicide, degeneration of 'traditional family values.'

"Safe Haven" and "Slumber Party Alien Abduction" are both solid, solid shorts, but "A Ride in the Park" has just as much going on underneath the hood.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Coffee And Pie posted:

I reckon you could make one really great movie out of all the VHSes

They apparently made "Amateur Night" into a feature-length spin-off, which will probably still be better than Viral.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Technically the first movie I saw in 2017 was Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared almost immediately after the ball dropped, so I can't feel too bad about Maximum Ride.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Christopher Hitchens, weirdly enough.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I would really love it if CeltPred could record some Rick-and-Morty repertoire, except between SMG posts and whoever the poor bastard it is arguing with him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Holy poo poo, I was not expecting Dog Eat Dog to be this good off the bat. Dafoe is amazing in this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, church, tonight on TCM it's prison flicks - line-up's Cool Hand Luke, Brute Force, Riot in Cell Block 11, The Big House, The Last Mile, and Each Dawn I Die.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Brute Force is spellbinding.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Gorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis is the best Metropolis.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, SMG, I'm getting Kill Command from Netflix tomorrow along with In a Valley of Violence - this poo poo better be worth it.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 4, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
HyperNormalisation is my new favorite film of the year.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My fav bit so far is when Curtis deliberately pisses off Gaddafi's son just so he'll go on a rant about how Libya is only fake because America is fake, but if you wanna be cool America has to like you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, recommend me more avant-garde, experimental, and miscellaneous videos from 2016, I need to square up my 'best of' list with something a little tighter than Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared 6.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'll assume you watched The Procedure and give you this instead
https://vimeo.com/169256540
:nws:

Saw both :(

I liked Manoman, though.

edit:

What spurred this should be Vimeo of the day, a transcendent little Japanese flick called O: a film shot with water lens: https://vimeo.com/138699303

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Night Life of the Gods is dope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Tales from the Hood is great, and I need that Blu-Ray yesterday.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey K:

This one's from 2017, but it's also Film Of The Year 2017.

KLF 01 01 2017 WTF FOUND VHS

Awesome, dude, get this year off on the right foot - I don't know if this is your bag or not, by let me submit back to you this decent time-lapse storm-chaser short also from just this year: https://vimeo.com/197854878

Also, eXistenZ is good, you weenies. It's Trainspotting meets Tron.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

weekly font posted:

You motherfuckers are gonna make me rewatch Existenz.

Good, that was the objective all along.

If you don't get a sensation every time you watch a David Cronenberg movie like, "Oh, now this is my new favorite David Cronenberg movie," you're not watching them right.

Dead Ringers is my favorite.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My worst Cronenberg (but I have not seen A Dangerous Method) is Maps to the Stars, but it's the same scenario as Boogey - it's not because Maps is bad, it's just that, say, Cosmopolis is already really, really loving good.

Some other personal favs:

- Fast Company (same year as The Brood, nice kitschy power-fantasy complement)
- M. Butterfly (actually, that's probably my favorite, or tied with Dead Ringers)
- Spider

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Modular Body is so dope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I know y'all are real suspicious that ASMR is just some kind of weird fetish, but I swear to god that Heather Feather's videos are legit fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShUd0WQ-70

She really puts the extra effort into her poo poo, a lot of them are just sound sensation and trigger videos, but every once and a while she posts something that, like, has a very carefully thought out narrative, like this one, which is tinged with bits of sci-fi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRMtiYQaRzs&t=191s

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, SMG, is all of KLF's video art as good as this?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That's awesome Lil Mama.

Also, I'mma watch the three-hour '80s TV version of The Bourne Identity.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Here's a great song by a band called Peelander-Z: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5s-k6dlL04

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Death By The Blues posted:

Hope this is a re-occuring thing.

That was loving great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Did the Roots do some half-assed protest like with Palin, or has Fallon also ruined their integrity?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't decide if Nocturnal Animals would be better or worse if you cut out all scenes taking place in the 'real' world.

Way worse - the novel is largely just lurid tripe with 'autobiographical' details, the point is that the protagonist makes it about some sadomasochistic frenzy. It's basically a good version of 50 Shades of Grey.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Operation Avalanche rules.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Moroder cut rules. I love when the score just gives way to an echoing flushing sound of water during the flooding scene, it was really stark and menacing.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 13, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
YouTube of the Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiiXXTkTwt4

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Mulholland Drive is def a horror movie.

And not just existential horror (which is Lynch's forte, anyway), the film builds incredible set pieces out of the suggestion of unknowable threat. For its reputation as borderline incomprehensible, it's actually just a very straightforward ghost story that doesn't get hung-up on exposition or psychological realism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Budgie Jumping posted:

As a shy dirtbag I can confirm this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I was about the post the exact same thing, except replace dirtbag with "deadbeat."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
TCM underground tonight is prison thrillers: Terminal Island and Penitentiary.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, Hidden Figures and Operation Avalanche make a surprisingly good 2016 moon movie double feature.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Death By The Blues posted:

I do like that Matt Johnson is going against the grain and criticizing the boring mumblecore nothing happens fetish. Also, was in a couple classes with him, cooooooooool dude.

Operation Avalanche is definitely an expansion on 'mumblecore,' but I think it's a much clearer descendent of Man Bites Dog, and possibly A Scanner Darkly. It has a lot of histrionic fun with the plasticity of American mythology - it's a great black comedy about the concept of 'counter-intelligence,' also explored in HyperNormalization.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You weren't. His righteous speech at the end of the film is cribbed from a late-'60s schlock film about white supremacist, serial rapist bikers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if they'll ever adapt The Iron Dream into a movie.

I mean, it sounds like a much better idea for a TV show than the The Man in the High Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Another good Robert Mitchum song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9L5WGMlfo

• Locked thread