Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Last movie of 2016: the astronaut farmer

First of 2017: snow dogs

Things can only get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

weekly font posted:

The final 40 of Why Don't You Play In Hell? is a high point in cinema history.

So ridiculous/fun/fantastic.

Also after seeing this, Love & Peace, and Shin Godzilla last year, Hiroki Hasegawa is rapidly becoming one of my favorite actors.

Tangentially love & peace has a hilarious punk cover of the toothpaste jingle from why don't you play in hell, if anyone is looking for more incentive to watch it:

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Due to a weekend without internet/ a small selection of dvds, I ended up watching the Astronaut Farmer recently. It's a mediocre movie, more of a ham fisted libertarian parable than entertainment, but it ended up being accidentally interesting.

The movie has a lot of "heroic rancher vs the government" imagery, but after seeing the bundy standoff so prominently in the news lately, it was impossible to read those images as anything but rural terrorist endangers his family and radicalizes his children.

I'm fascinated by the way real world events overwhelmed the intended message of the film and sort of reversed it (at least for me), and would definitely be interested in watching movies that were similarly impacted by real world events that happened after the movies were released, if anyone has any suggestions.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

This sounds perfect, just read the thing about them changing the dedication at the end of the film. thanks!

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Armond White. He's an insincere contrarian. Hate that poo poo.

This spurred me to read a few Armond White reviews and I kind of love them. Granted his reviews all seem to be analyzing movies through a political framework I whole heartedly disagree with, but his reads are entertaining, in the way any well thought out but still kind of reach-y film reading can be.

Plus I find the way he tosses out a half dozen hot takes totally unrelated to the movie at hand over the course of any given review endlessly enjoyable. (Although I totally understand why someone would find that annoying)

A leftist version of Armond White would probably be my ideal film critic.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing I like about him is that he knows how to shout out a movie when he's throwing shade. The leftist Armond White, if you don't consider him a leftist, is Eileen Jones, and she's not near as good.

I took him for a classic, pro-bootstrapping conservative, upset by the loss of "work ethic" in the working class, but maybe I didn't read enough reviews

I could definitely imagine him doing a "- Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott" style quote attribution in the middle of a review just to make people mad

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Games now have just congealed into this bland sameness, afraid to even change a controller layout.

There's definitely some good weird stuff still around, it's just sort of confined to the margins. freeindiegam.es was a great spot to find those when it was still being updated. It's definitely worth checking out their old end of year lists

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't expect this. Holy poo poo.

Yes! I was hoping this would happen. Other than that how was the film? I watched unbreakable for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it, and noticed that on the wiki page M Night alludes to taking a villain from the first draft and making a spin off movie for them. Ever since then I've been fantasizing about a an m night cinematic universe, full of films like unbreakable that are amazing genre films that also serve as critical commentary on genre narratives

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
After catching up on 30+ pages of posts I just want to say Archie Fucks

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I watched a cure for wellness today and was totally blown away. It's not for everyone (i.e. if you're prone to asking why they're still filming when watching a found footage movie, you probably won't like this), but it's an incredible piece of film. It's a rollercoaster ride with beautiful cinematography/a great score, an incredibly earnest political message, and real skill in the way it plays with/synthesizes some well trodden narratives, which is basically all I want from a movie.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Neurophage posted:

I heard the ending was garbage.

I'm curious what you heard was garbage about it. I loved the ending. It was fun as hell, and more clever than people are giving it credit for. Hard to talk about about it without spoilers though.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yo I know there’s some Wisconsin goons itt. I’m gonna be there for a couple of days in late May, what’s fun to do in Milwaukee and/or Madison? I’m def hitting the mustard museum in Madison.

Not in WI anymore, but you can't do better than House on the Rock. It's a couple hours out from Madison, and hands down one of the best ways I've ever spent some immeasurable number of hours. (Four going by the time on my phone, but it's the kind of place that makes it hard to be certain.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Timby posted:

Counterpoint: House on the Rock is a kitschy, trashy hellscape that's obnoxiously tryhard with its "eccentricity," and the Cave of the Mounds is a far better way to blow four hours. :colbert:

(Spoiler tags because I think the best way to go into the house on the rock is knowing as little as possible. I only went because my parents were visiting me when i lived in Madison and got it mixed up with Taliesin)

I love cave of the mounds, but you can go to a caves all over the world and get a good sense of what it's like to be in a cave. Only at house on the rock can you descend from a shag carpeted gently caress den famous for its themed bathrooms into a seemingly endless labyrinth where every plaque, installation, and knick knack is lying to you. It feels like a hell house that went way over budget after throwing the plans away a few months before construction started.

To me it seems more sincere in its eccentricity than tryhard, but I can see how it could grate. Personally, i thought the lack of maps or exits along the way added to the experience, but by the time I actually got out I was exhausted.

Definitely recommend both if you've got time though!

• Locked thread