Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last movie of 2016: Foreign Correspondent
First movie of 2017: The Princess Bride.

Dunno why Netflix didn't have a section of hangover movies ready for yesterday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who would win in a fight: Harry Lime or Harry Powell?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Biodome posted:

Harry Potter

Harry Potter isn't born yet. He can't fight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you're not gonna take my Harry fight seriously I'll take it back to FanFiction.net.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A local record store has criterion blurays of The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth (no booklets, for whatever reason), for $99 each. I was too tempted, but thankfully didn't go through with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I definitely would have at least bought Third Man if I hadn't bought the DVD from a different place a couple weeks ago. I'll seek out the bluray whenever I get a better paying job.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Later this month a Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray is being released that is from a new restoration that is as good or better than the Criterion release.

That's one of the additions to the 2000 re-release version.

I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for the heads up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only way the theatre mode on iphones and ipads would be good is if all it does is brick the device.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My girlfriend and I watched North By Northwest today. Her first time seeing it. At one point, she says "He goes from ad man to archaeologist," and I give her a confused look.

She thought Cary Grant played Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope a Frinkiac-like site pops of for Sunny sometime. I was thinking about Frank as the Man Cheetah today and chuckling to myself.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I proposed this idea last month, but I'd remake The Wages Of Fear, but instead of hauling nitroglycerin, they're hauling Samsung Galaxy Note 7s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Finally got around to watching Green Room.

:stare:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Netflix should further troll users with a "Main character dies at the end" section.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

James Earl Jones does a good blackface.

James Earl Jones is a black man!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A couple years ago, Disney theatrically released a documentary about apes called Born to the Wild. I only saw the trailer, but I was actually pissed they didn't use the song. Come on, Disney!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes. Louis Feuillade's serials are a good counterpoint to anyone who believes silents are boring.

Personally, I found Judex to be the best of the three that are available and Fantomas is great, too.
I haven't seen the silent yet, but the remake is fantastic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I've been meaning to see it. The only Franju I've seen so far is Eyes Without a Face. Haven't gotten enough courage to watch Blood of the Beasts yet.

Same guy did Eyes Without A Face? Guess that's jumping straight to the top of my watchlist.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well watching these videos lead me to Alantutorial which I'd never even heard of before and what am I even watching right now?

There's apparently a video that explains Alantutorial, but I don't wanna see that and ruin the magic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HowToBasic was hilarious at first, but the gimmick wore out its welcome pretty quickly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Before E posted:

It's more like Ray Smuckles drawing the sourdough.

Now draw a Nintendo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I fully believe Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane and he's actually seen it.

He just completely loving missed the point.

Which is funny since Orson Welles was pretty much was alt-left before it was cool. All his movies are about the corruption of power and authority on people.

Trump probably never watched it past the part where Kane loses the election. Kinda the rich white version of people who miss the point of Tony Montana.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got Mulholland Drive for Christmas the other year, but I still haven't watched it yet. I'm sure it's fantastic, but I'm certain it'll be an uncomfortable watch and I don't know what kind of mood I'll need to be in to watch it. The new Twin Peaks is coming out soon, so maybe when that's out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fire Walk With Me is a slow burn, but it adds to how haunting it is. I really like it, but I can understand why people wouldn't, especially if they're going in expecting the show's wackiness.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the best moments of my life was seeing Judas Priest while in the middle of a monsoon. Lightning struck incredibly close to the stadium during the guitar solo for Electric Eye and everybody in the audience ducked. :rock:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember my old babysitter/family friend would shut off movies if they used the Lord's name in vain.
One time they invited our family over to watch Speed 2: Cruise Control. I think there was an "oh my God" maybe twenty minutes in and it was over.

It worked out for me because they had just got a newly released Nintendo 64 and I got to spend a couple hours playing Super Mario 64.

I still haven't seen the rest of Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I lost it when my old laptop died, and I wish I had archived it now. I wanted to make a short film parody of those Hostess pie comic ads and ended up with a black comedy revenge thriller about a man obsessed with finding the perfect pie. It was while I was going through my Orson Welles phase. Maybe I should rewrite it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

You weren't. His righteous speech at the end of the film is cribbed from a late-'60s schlock film about white supremacist, serial rapist bikers.

I wonder if they'll ever adapt The Iron Dream into a movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Dang, you're celebrating in style.

Every time I re-watch Night of the Hunter I think it's lowkey my favourite movie.

I convinced my parents to watch it on Christmas Eve since it took place on Christmas. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just picked up the Apocalypse Now two movie bluray at Target (on sale for $4 right now.). I've never seen this movie, what's the difference between Apocalypse Now and Redux?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. I'll probably watch through both this weekend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm six minutes into the first episode of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I don't know if I can make it through this as hearing kids speak like forty year old scholars is too eye-roll inducing for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A good adaptation of Unfortunate Events would have to be a Michel Gondry movie or something. The book's use of cruelty, obsession, and sudden violence is almost Lynchian.

So far it looks like a very muted Wes Anderson. I'm unfamiliar with the source material and never saw the movie from a decade ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

gently caress me, I think I might have pink eye. Pink eye, of all things.

Make the best of it and pretend to be the worst Bond villain.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A month late, but I just read a neat article about the making of fake film with Home Alone, Angels With Dirty Souls.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the first third of the movie is based on the time jack kirby beat up nazis

I'd be down for a fictionalized Jack Kirby: Nazi Hunter movie/TV series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Streetcar Named Marge is protier. Look mom, I'm Blanche Dubois!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Democracy was a mistake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stop posting Sing spoilers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just started Resident Evil 7. So far it's a video game version of Grey Gardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Running Man is coming to one of the streaming services next month. Gonna finally see what the hype is about.

• Locked thread