Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Skippy going ecstatic about the adorable animals is magical :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Folks I have no excuse. I dang well love adorable lil smallfriends.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Skippy Granola posted:

Folks I have no excuse. I dang well love adorable lil smallfriends.

No need for excuses, you're doing great as the audience stand-in!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Skippy's enthusiasm only makes doing these even more fun. So far he's excited by everything.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I am like an idiot child who is new to the world

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

I am like an idiot child who is new to the world

So... exactly how the game treats you.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
It's not an act. He's just as excited before we even start the recording.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Pubert is let loose into the world, so it's time to wreck everything in my path on the way to our first boss.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ThornBrain posted:

Pubert is let loose into the world, so it's time to wreck everything in my path on the way to our first boss.

You know you're right, Volcamon is kind of a weird digimon

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009

AltaBrown posted:

The infernal RNG is why I could never marry Margaret, and then finally gave up on the game. I was pretty much done with it, except for that.

Same here. It's also why i never managed to finish the third ARC .

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow you guys were really in sync in the Wooly massacre video.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Another exploit that's become relevant now: The easiest way to grind weapon skills is to attack your bed. Yes, seriously. It is the only thing in the entire game that is both impervious to damage and incapable of retaliating. It's another tedious one, but at least this time it's repeatable and doable in smaller doses, so you can whack it whenever you feel you've got the patience and time to spare.

Anyway, Thorn's mentioned taming monsters, so I feel like it's fine for me to mention some of the monsters I make a point of recruiting. I get four Woolies, plus four each of three other monster types that haven't been seen on-screen yet (and have recently started considering adding one more type for bulk catching). ...What? I like having crafting materials on demand.

I'd say what monsters I like getting for pure combat, but A: it's a BIG surprise that hasn't been referenced in the LP yet, and B: it's kind of overkill. The main hint I'm giving is that this is the only Rune Factory game as of this time that you can recruit it in. No, you're not getting any other hints yet.

My review of Amber as a character will be delayed until she wakes up and Thorn properly meets her so the other viewers can see what I'm talking about.

On a side note, rumors abound that Illuminata was originally intended to be a bachelorette; this is probably based primarily on the fact that she is pretty much the only non-marriageable character with alternate costumes, with a minor exception (spoilered just in case; not really a huge thing, but it's a thing none the less- and better to go overboard on spoiler tags than to get yelled at for visible spoilers).

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 17, 2017

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
If Thornbrain thinks the Spear is broken wait until he gets ahold of a pair of gloves. That innately give a sweet set of wrestling moves to preform on flinched monsters. Just hit a after a punch.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

From a great character to an awful one. Swings and roundabouts.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
This might be a bit premature, but who all do you actually like in Story of Seasons (aside from Fritz)?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Hard to say. I'm indifferent to most of them since they're all mostly blandly nice except for Elise and Margot who're fuckfaces. I do like Marian and Giorgio, they're pretty fun characters.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Will you be naming the farm you eventually get the wurst farm? :v:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

This is a sausage-free zone. Remember: Critters are friends, not food.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Animal Parade teaches you horrible things about befriending bears. And wild animal gangs, I guess?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Coming soon to a theater near you, an epic tale of a 2008 Mine-Side Harmonica Mafia family and their struggle to protect their empire from their rival Ocean-Side family as the Harvest Goddess weakens and life gets hard.
Starring the Monkey-Pig Mafia.

Led by The Bearfather,
His First Lieutenant Harvey the Flunkey (Monkey) and consisting of:
Marco Fathead (Pig, who's on a diet)
Two-Tone Timmy (Otter, he has tinnitus)
Fancy Pants Becky (Raccoon, has quite the pants collection)
Jimmy the Pig (Squirrel, it's a long story)
and The Grim Reaper Salvatore (Rabbit; the farm and bridge were asking for it but you really didn't need to do that to Mira's husband...)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not sure what you guys were so miffed about at the end. Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2 has been out for over a decade now.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Iris was the Bachelorette I pursued in my playthrough of SoS. I thought they did a good job with her arc. Never did marry her, as I just lost interest in the game after about Year 7 or 8.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
My living room is large enough to hold a bear.

However, it wouldn't be holding anything else.

But man, if I could afford to take care of a bear, I'd totally try to have one. From what I've heard from bear trainers, they make amazing drinking buddies.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

...was the carpenter's dog a Bruce Springsteen reference?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Seems to be some disagreement on the Best method of fishing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis and I have a hard time accepting a new character as a bachelorette.

Almost a shame we didn't commentate the fanart reel, since Ventuswill's human form appears as its announcer for no reason, and we talked briefly about that earlier in the LP.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So yeah. Amber. She's an annoying little kid, she LOOKS like an annoying little kid, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she didn't actually know where kids come from. Really, I think the only reason she was added to the marriageable list was to pander to the lolicon crowd (this probably skirts a few forum rules, but at least it's in a disapproving context). Not only pass, I wish they'd completely replaced her with someone less blatantly childlike. Or at least gave the position of "bachelorette #5" to someone believable. Yeah, I'd say Amber works better in a more sisterly role (whether annoying or endearing is up to the individual, but still). Personally, I'd prefer Illuminata as #5 (though she's rather controversial; I don't mind her, obviously, but a lot of people do), though I could at least understand Ventuswill (but really, who'd want to marry a dragon? ...That was supposed to be rhetorical. Please put your hands down).

Incidentally, earlier people were talking about how few male elves there are, but personally? I'm more curious about what female dwarves look like in that universe; they have NEVER been seen, to the best of my knowledge.

Not just Rune Factory 1, but ALL the games except for this one have a canonical love interest. In 1 it was, as you said, Mist; in 2, it was Mana; in 3, it was Shara (all three seen in the picture labelled Heroine Award; from left to right: Mana, Shara, and Mist, though RF4 seems to call RF3's canonical wife Schala)... yeah, this series has a very definite trend toward forcing the protagonist into a relationship with the first girl he meets (incidentally: I like a grand total of NONE of them). 3 had a bit of a twist on the formula, though, in that the canonical love interest is arguably NOT the first girl the protagonist meets (though she IS the first introduced); more on that later. You'd think the creators would've gotten the hint dropped by the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, the canonical heroine has NEVER been chosen in ANY of the adaptations. If 4 hadn't finally bucked the trend we'd probably have more Clorica-centered cutscenes (and maybe some Vishnal-focused ones for those of you who play girls). I don't know about the side-games, though, but I'd expect them to have canonical love interests that I can't stand, too.

Anyway, CptWedgie's exploit of the update: While you can normally only fight each boss once per day, if you cast Return after you get the rewards but before the barrier on the entrance dissipates (a very brief window, admittedly- you should probably time it around the end of the "light flies away" animation; it takes a bit of practice) you can fight them twice (or more!) in one day, for significantly larger supplies of boss drops. Yes, you'd better believe I exploit the hell out of that, especially when I get strong enough to curb-stomp the boss I'm farming.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

CptWedgie posted:

...though I could at least understand Ventuswill
I just want the option, damnit! Don't tease me like that, game.

You give her a human portrait and don't make her an eligible bachelorette. That's horrible.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Who says she even NEEDS a human portrait, huh? :colbert:

Certainly didn't stop Shiva in FFXIV.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

though I could at least understand Ventuswill

Same here, with all those animes about monstergirls now.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

You people wanting to marry dragons that have human portraits, back in my day we just wanted to marry dragons in our fanfiction and we liked it! :arghfist:

But seriously Ventuswill is a better (and funnier) character than a lot of the bachelorettes in the series so it doesn't surprise me that people want to marry her, with or without the human portrait. A good laugh can do a lot to endear a character to a player.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Like Clockwork posted:

You people wanting to marry dragons that have human portraits, back in my day we just wanted to marry dragons in our fanfiction and we liked it! :arghfist:

But seriously Ventuswill is a better (and funnier) character than a lot of the bachelorettes in the series so it doesn't surprise me that people want to marry her, with or without the human portrait. A good laugh can do a lot to endear a character to a player.
"Mommy, Daddy, where do half-dragons come from?"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Commander Keene posted:

"They are products of very strange circumstances dear."

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Commander Keene posted:

"When someone falls out of the sky and lands on a dragon..."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We're so close to being out of Grandma's slave-driving hands.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Unfortunately do to licensing bullshit, Hamtaro's going exclusive to the Japanese version. The localization team confirmed this on Tumblr not long ago that they wanted to keep Hamtaro in the localized game but couldn't.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Soon, Best will be out from "Granny" Eda's iron thumb and be on her way to conquering the entire county with her farm.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Admittingly, Animal Parade's child characters are actually likable. Still, gently caress you Chloe.

Also have this great piece from Lore:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 27, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god that is not how you clear a chimney clog, do the devs live in a basement or something?
PS: Ffffffuck you Chloie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ffffffffffffffffffffuck you Chloe.

• Locked thread