Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CptWedgie posted:

Kind-of exploit here, but more of a convenience: If you upgrade a piece of equipment with a Magnifying Glass, that equipment acquires its effects, so you won't have to switch to it all the time to check on your fields. Personally, I'd put it on the hoe or watering can, though I've read about someone who put it on a spare helmet.

This isn't an exploit - it's an intended game mechanic that random NPC dialogue can clue you in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

This isn't an exploit - it's an intended game mechanic that random NPC dialogue can clue you in on.

Which is why I only labelled it as a kind-of exploit rather than a full-on exploit like my previous stuff such as the "attack your bed to train your weapons" thing, which is undeniably an exploit.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
To answer Skippy's question at the end of the second video, if I was a monster I'd be a basement gremlin.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think you can guess what I'd be from my name.

That's right, a piece of ham. With the power to clog your arteries.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
If Skippy's a dragon the size of a chicken, can I be a chicken the size of a dragon? :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ousire posted:

If Skippy's a dragon the size of a chicken, can I be a chicken the size of a dragon? :v:

So a Mamadoodle

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Perhaps a long shot to ask here, but does anyone have any loving clue how to catch a swordfish in Animal Parade? Supposedly you can catch it at the southern point of Toucan Island any time of any season, but it's somehow rarer than any king fish.

I think it's the very last fish/recipe I'm missing for the LP. It's kind of killing me internally.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For some reason I get the feeling that the protagonist of Trio of Towns is related to Eda.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I think you can get swordfish on the south and west shores of Toucan Island in the afternoon. At least that's from what info I can scrounge up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I FOUND IT :frogsiren:
So everyone's just loving wrong about where it is. You have to go up onto that little hill on the right near the penguin and south of the boat, out into the bay where the boat is floating. You don't seem to catch it in the proper South or West shores; it's more like a separate Southeast shore, where you catch different fish from any others. (It's also where you can find tuna). I'll probably reiterate and clarify this in the LP.

Anyway, keeping on-track with the thread, today's Animal Parade update will be up at noon PST, and next week's updates were recorded with great hilarity earlier. These guys crack me up.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Skippy Granola posted:

Ohhhh it's meeeee Clauuuuus

Don't for get meeeeee, Lucaaaaas

We need monsters named after these cuties. Something with big teeth for biting Skippy.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Guinea pigs give by taking and love by tasting

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We get a lot done this week, including rescuing the Witch Princess, ringing the green bell, and sending a helpless elder up the river(?).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm genuinely glad the game doesn't try to make the witch and wizard out as romantic interests to one another.

The witch just hates him.

Also, that was a sick burn by the wizard when she accused him of leaving her as a frog to teach her a lesson.

"Did it work?"

:allears:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I swear I get the oddest inspirations to draw sometimes.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Cokebomb is a strong baby who gives no effs

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This part is no elefun.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Illuminata? While there may or may not be a Forest of Ends, that's not where Pubert wants to go so it's irrelevant.

The Double Bed is, indeed, necessary for marriage; I don't particularly consider this a spoiler because it's always been that way.

Barrett shows up with proof that this takes place after Rune Factory 2 ends. Not that there was much doubt, considering this is a sequel, but it's nice to know that the events in that game have definitely taken place. What makes Pubert so sure that Leon was the first, though? I don't remember anyone mentioning that before, so for all we know it could've been Dolce.

You'd be surprised how fast you can fill up 60 slots. I mean, an ongoing issue for me is finding enough room to store stuff.

I don't think the game will allow you to bring anyone with you to the Forest of Beginnings; I also remember there being one other battle it forces you to solo, though I will not go into further detail yet. No, it doesn't even let you bring tamed monsters. I'm pretty sure I tried. That said, I might be misremembering- it HAS been a while since I've been there.

I checked, and no, it will not allow you to ride a Mamadoodle no matter what. Not sure why; it's certainly big enough.

As for your question at the end (before things went crazy again), regarding what we'd like to ride into battle: You know what, let's go crazy. I'd want to ride a Mamadoodle which is, in turn, riding a Wooly.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I realized after the fact I would like to ride something of Skippy's own invention.

The Ourobearos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41AZo498CY8

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hot gracious that takes me back

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
It's as if there were never cases where knights dismounted or straight up only had the knighthood and nearly nothing else in this world.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Is a knight still a knight in the knude

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

I checked, and no, it will not allow you to ride a Mamadoodle no matter what. Not sure why; it's certainly big enough.

Can you ride the tree boss?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ousire posted:

Can you ride the tree boss?

It's pretty safe to assume that you can ride ALL the bosses in Rune Factory 4 (disclaimer: some bosses can not be tamed); in fact, from what I've read online there's only one boss fight where you can tame them but CAN'T ride them. Note that I am not counting Mamadoodles as bosses, since they respawn.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We learn to dislike some townsfolk while Skippy has some head trouble.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, farming communities are fairly conservative so homophobia is unfortunately to be expected.

That clay doll grandpa gave you is a Dogū which is also the basis for this guy, Shakkoumon:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, farming communities are fairly conservative so homophobia is unfortunately to be expected.

That clay doll grandpa gave you is a Dogū which is also the basis for this guy, Shakkoumon:

More spherical cows, less atavistic social commentary please story of seasons!

Don't make me open a can of whoop-grains

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Are the cows sphereical because they ate too much grain?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chimera-gui posted:

Also Arahabaki.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Magic and crying for all.

Next week's updates will likely be delayed a day or two, but probably not the whole week this time.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
My wish is for certain people to stop being so goddamn cute, I don't need more platonic crushes.

I'm referring, of course, to Fritz.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I'd wish that I too could magically summon sweet guitar riffs on command like Robbie.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

These people are idiots.

Next week will be Leon Karnak and the end of Act 1!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

ThornBrain posted:

These people are idiots.

I'm glad the Rune Factory games share this one, solid, constant theme.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Amber is a butterfly. Who is friendly to everyone.

SHE IS A SOCAIL BUTTERFLY. I HATE THIS GAME!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
"Buy things or I'll beat Amber with a cane?" That seems like a reason to NOT buy anything, to me.

Kiel is weird. I mean, no real kid says stuff like that! (Or is that just the "kids hate vegetables" stereotype talking?)

My guess on why monsters like Mamadoodles can't be ridden is that they're literally giant versions of OTHER monsters you can't ride, and the devs took a shortcut by copying most of the data for them; I mean, for Mamadoodles, I'm pretty sure the stats, aggressiveness, and scale are increased, but beyond that they're basically Cluckadoodles.

Presumably, monsters you fight in the Forest of Beginnings just show back up somewhere else later.

Yami, have you been playing Recettear? Not that I'd blame you if you have- I mean, I like it; just asking, that's all. Anyway, the skill level you gained while unlocking your shop was Leadership; you train it both by having lackeys while you're dungeon crawling and by bossing the town around (though I've seen claims that festivals help, too).

Being a shopkeeper is pretty boring, considering how it's literally just standing there waiting for someone to come to you. And to no one's surprise, it's a skill of its own; this game has a skill for pretty much anything you can do.

I don't think I've ever done that Play Coin thing Arthur offers; I guess I make too much money through exploits for it to matter (don't remember how many Ambrosia's Thorns I've sold at once, but they make pretty good money early on, especially when you use exploits to get them in bulk). Well, that and the fact that the only things I buy EVER are the seeds I need at that moment (with most of that being done by my pets because I'm lazy). Point is, I'm not exactly having financial problems.

Amber may be easy to befriend, but I find Forte is easier, since going adventuring with a townsperson seems to give points toward that; I'm pretty sure I've started dating her before any of the other townspeople would even accept invitations to my party. This might just be the fact that I rarely, if ever, have gifts to give them, though; relationship building through pure talking is SLOW. And I'd say hating Amber isn't a "gimmick," it's a perfectly logical reaction to her sheer terrible-ness.

Careful with the soil additives; they decrease field health. Anyway, each 2x2 patch of soil actually has an innate resistance to typhoons which increases by leveling (which, in turn, is rather counter-intuitively done by farming it extensively). Also: It's too bad greenhouses aren't a thing in Rune Factory; the closest it comes is RF3's Sharance Tree, and the fields there are still vulnerable to weather (despite the giant tree directly overhead... how does that work?), unless the seasonal dungeons count.

"Marry a Wooly" is something Raven, at least, would probably take completely seriously, possibly even to the point of actually going through with it. And to be fair: Thorn isn't alone in giving characters problematic names; I have been known to call characters things like Sir Plusse, Moe and Ron (both in the same game), and possibly my crowning awkward name: Xqpjvdxb, which I'm pretty sure is literally impossible to pronounce properly due to the complete lack of vowels.

Personally, I kinda cheat on these festivals; I use a guide to look up the right answers. Anyway, the "right answer subtracts votes" thing isn't so much a bug as it is the devs not foreseeing you actually submitting a Turnip to one of these festivals; one option is basically "call it a turnip no matter what it actually is" (which is, obviously, USUALLY not the right answer, hence Blossom's response). And I wonder why saying comparing crops isn't the issue is even an option, considering how that's literally what this festival is FOR (aside from conning votes out of people). Also: Dammit Doug, go away already, nobody likes you here! To close out the Harvest Festival stuff with the aftermath (and you eating your prizes): I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there is a Knife recipe for just about EVERY FISH IN THE GAME. And yes, you have to learn them all individually.

I hate fighting with axes; that's why I use one of the exploits I mentioned earlier to train them (or just fight with a lumber axe; that counts, too). Anyway, the reason equipment you obtain from festivals tends to have weird stats is that they tend to come pre-upgraded or with additional ingredients, which also adds the extra items' upgrade bonus to the resulting item; this usually comes in the form of Weeds, Scrap Metal, and the like, which explains why they tend to have reduced effectiveness compared to homemade items.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 6, 2017

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bit of a delay in recording these, but at least AP is technically on time. :v:

We begin the Fall in SoS and meet some new adorable friends, and we complete the main story in AP and meet someone I won't talk to very much.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ThornBrain posted:

Bit of a delay in recording these, but at least AP is technically on time. :v:

We begin the Fall in SoS and meet some new adorable friends, and we complete the main story in AP and meet someone I won't talk to very much.
Don't think I didn't see that "Magical Girl Costume" clothing option in Story of Seasons.

We're making that for Best, right?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shei-kun posted:

Don't think I didn't see that "Magical Girl Costume" clothing option in Story of Seasons.

We're making that for Best, right?

I think I meant to point that out, but I will try my damnedest to make that outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ThornBrain posted:

I think I meant to point that out, but I will try my damnedest to make that outfit.
You are going to make so many people happy :allears:

Also, as for the sandwich marriage, I'd go with a grilled ham & cheese with tomato soup.

• Locked thread