Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

YamiNoSenshi posted:

That was their first date. First. Date.
And Pubert's already being a butt.

Things aren't looking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Continuing my trend of braving dungeons early, we tackle Leon Karnak proper so that we don't have to in Act 3. Meanwhile Volkanon is a jackass.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
How much do you guys wanna bet that when he's actually supposed to go to Leon Karnak it'll force him to restart from scratch?

There is, at least, ONE benefit to inflicting status ailments on enemies even if said ailments don't do anything: It increases your own resistance skills. This makes weapons that can inflict them pretty valuable training tools, especially if they inflict ALL of them.

Grimoire kicked your rear end. There is no denying this.

...I hate the "comedic misunderstanding, nobody tries to clear things up" crap... and it's even worse when they go to great lengths to prevent any explanations.

Doug and Dylas swapping jobs cannot possibly end well...

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Seeing as RF4's the only LP running in this thread now, you guys probably don't need the logo image anymore.

Winter brings us several new secrets that I frankly should have found by now, our favorite bickering idiots learn a thing or two about each other, and I get to relieve my frustrations with them in a violent festival.

Act 3 begins next Tuesday!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The signs in that raccoon's hole really make him look like a scumbag. I mean, not only is it set up to try to filter out anyone it wouldn't want for itself, it's set up to KILL ANYONE ELSE WHO SHOWS UP! Also, I think the reason it's unimpressive in combat is that it's the FIRST boss from RF3, and the only change from there seems to be its stats.

This whole "trade jobs" thing is insufferable, due to starring two character I hate. Especially since nothing of value was learned by anyone.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Can you imagine how progressive RF4 would be if DougxDylas was the canon pairing? It already seems like everyone in town is canonically bisexual just with how the dialog is written, so with just a little tweak the devs could have given us the first homosexual cross-species pairing.

Of course, it still wouldn't make either Doug or Dylas any less annoying.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Act 3 begins after an hour of preparatory pain, and it'll only get worse for me from here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Who in the hot garbage gently caress thought locking the last act behind something that is so hard to activate was a good idea? Did no one on the dev or QA team do this themselves?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

marshmallow creep posted:

Who in the hot garbage gently caress thought locking the last act behind something that is so hard to activate was a good idea? Did no one on the dev or QA team do this themselves?

This is kind of a pretty good "RuneFactory.txt" statement, if we're being real. I haven't played 3, but so far all the others have included some kind of dumb hoop you have to jump through to get to the end. (Or, in RF2's case, to get to the meat of the game in the first place)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LordHippoman posted:

This is kind of a pretty good "RuneFactory.txt" statement, if we're being real. I haven't played 3, but so far all the others have included some kind of dumb hoop you have to jump through to get to the end. (Or, in RF2's case, to get to the meat of the game in the first place)

That weird bug in 2 you had where actually doing a thing fast counted as doing it slow because of dumb code was hilarious and dumb.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry; I'm still watching video 33 and wondering when the game turned into Super Mario Bros. 2.

Turnips everywhere...

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

KieranWalker posted:

I'm sorry; I'm still watching video 33 and wondering when the game turned into Super Mario Bros. 2.

Turnips everywhere...

What is it with Japan and turnips? Like, it's all turnips over in Animal Crossing too.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Miz Kriss posted:

What is it with Japan and turnips? Like, it's all turnips over in Animal Crossing too.

They're a root veggie. The Japanese tend to use them a lot in their dishes, apparently, and they grow best when in a cool climate. Since Japan is a lot of cool climates put together, they must grow a looooooot of turnips.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Meet our new home for the next three updates. It's full of nostalgia for people who like getting beat up.

On the plus side, as long as we can keep our recording schedule, this LP has just five weeks left. The guys and I are certainly relieved the end's in sight.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It looked like that quiz was completely cheeseable because the majority answer among the three other contestants was never wrong. You don't need to know the answer to any of the questions, just watch for whichever answer has more people and you'll be right!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kinda fell behind for a bit. Personally, I blame my rediscovery of Steam. Anyway, my thoughts on the two latest videos...

That idiocy about tying Act 3 to a random event is exactly why I've never gotten this far. So congrats on passing me, in story progress if nothing else! Considering how tedious it is to start it, I feel the congratulations are actually warranted... (Also, I feel like there's at least one other event which involves everyone in town, including the Guardians you've rescued.)

You wouldn't expect juice to be complicated, let alone one of the most difficult recipes in the game.

One of my regrets would have to be the fact that rescuing Amber is mandatory.

I hate spears. I can never seem to hit with them...

Isn't protecting the town Forte's job, even if it's unofficial? I seem to remember her saying something to that effect way back when.

For some reason I can't hear or read the word "determination" without thinking of Undertale. Is that just me? Also, I think they called it Omni-Gate until just now, so I have no idea why it's Gate Reject now. Really makes Act 3 feel phoned in, to me.

Why does blowing yourself up show you Ventuswill's memories?

The potions you get from townspeople after the Memories event are, from what I can see, potentially the strongest healing potion in the game (not counting any medicine that isn't actually labelled as a potion), with 50% HP healed per potion. Pretty handy, really, unless you're underlevelled (in which case how the hell did you get this far?).

Porco... well, we've been over how he bothers me before, right? That's still in effect here. Also, apparently Dylas doesn't do much farming, Illuminata has never fought anything, Arthur has never been to the hospital, Bado has finally come up with a reasonable sales pitch, Dylas doesn't do sightseeing, Porco is creepy, and Arthur has never taken a bath. Also, those things he uses to count the scores are quite useful for one reason or another- three different cooking ingredients, plus mushrooms (which, depending on which variant he uses, can be extremely useful in their own right).

I was honestly not expecting it to let you warp past Leon Karnak...

Rune Prana is apparently ridiculously oversized AND pretty drat cheap... but I doubt it's as bad as the Sharance Maze. My advice? Fight cheap shots with cheap shots and bring pets with status attacks (like my Ambrosias).

I still say that voice in Trippyland is the character you AREN'T playing as. That makes far too much sense to me, so I'm sticking to it.

Pretty sure the way to get at the treasure in that gratuitously-windy room involves wearing shoes that boost your movement speed.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

They're idiots, but enjoyably so.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think that was the most likeable the dwarf boy has been all game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats a steep ramp up in rune prana.
and you say Sharance maze is worse

Though with all that neurotic looting and farming shouldnt you be able to craft yourself into godhood?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Though with all that neurotic looting and farming shouldnt you be able to craft yourself into godhood?

Only reason I've gotten this far.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Those golden crops take ludicrous amounts of time to grow. Hope you're into dungeon farming.

I think "knock you on your rear end" is an understatement; that looked more like you'd hit the ceiling!

...I'm not convinced that they playtested anything after Ethelwill. I mean, were they expecting the player to stat grind for in-game years before the Act 3 event started? Or even real-life years?

I feel like Xiao Pai probably managed to sew things so that Pubert can't take whatever article of clothing she was working on off. Seems like the kind of thing they'd have her screw up.

Falling asleep in the snow is, from what I hear, a warning sign that you're well on your way to freezing to death. So you really shouldn't do that. I can sympathize on how Clorica doesn't like her narcolepsy, by the way (I could've sworn I'd said that before, but going back through I can't find anything about it). On a semi-related note, I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once I kinda agree with Doug's priorities right now.

That magic merchant reminded me of some lyrics (not sure if I can properly call them a song). "They're coming to take me away, haha, they're coming to take me away, hoho, heehee, haha..."

I bet Forte's getting tired solely because it's three on one. If it was just one of them she wouldn't have a problem.

I would like to suggest spending a bit of time farming Ambrosia's drop for Grimly; I have already been over why this can be helpful in my spoilered stuff.

...Did any of those three actually learn anything out of that? My money's on "no." I mean, I know Clorica demonstrated that she hasn't actually improved, but I doubt the other two did either.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Okay, I'm still confused about what exactly happens in that last memory room. But hey, revenge against the Siren is sweet.

Act 3 concludes next Tuesday.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, while you didn't get anything from the Siren, I feel like any drops she may have had would've just fallen in the water and been lost anyway.

Everything there has WAY too many HP. Like, ludicrously so.

God dammit, Porco. ...Is that getting to be a catchphrase for me now? Anyway, no reward's worth encouraging his stalker-ness. At least Pubert was plainly forcing himself to say it, and immediately clarified that he didn't actually mean it.

Y'know, aside from laying it on a little thick when he gave her the flower I think Pubert actually did pretty well on the date this time; it's certainly an improvement over the restaurant debacle. Little surprised that she immediately asked for another date, but I'm sure that actually happens for some couples in real life (probably the really sappy or extravagant ones mostly). Also: What Dolce's holding at that point is Ice Cream.

No reward is worth that hallway, either. The more I see, the more convinced I become that this part just wasn't balance-tested.

Death Wall is yet another Rune Factory 3 import. He's the resident Winter Dungeon boss; while I've never fought him myself, I'm sure his stats're nowhere near as inflated there.

Mwahahahahaha!!! Suffer, you lolicon-pandering pest, SUFFER!!! ...Ahem. Maybe I should stop giving the characters I dislike so much grief- it might get out of hand. Anyway, while the second date of the video's pretty awkward it's at least bearable this time.

...Okay, while this latest acid trip lends evidence to my "protagonist is remembering conversations with other protagonist" hypothesis from before (in the form of the female PC appearing there), the text seems to be from the protagonist's point of view. Thus, I'll just go with "the devs had a female protagonist in mind and the male's an afterthought who isn't fully integrated with the rest of the game" like with the rest of the dialogue.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes the story and first year of the LP. All that remains is cleaning up and loving up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Exquisite timing. That should be worth an achievement.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
In the course of a year, Pubert:

Fell off an airship and lost his goddamn (selective) memories.
Saved four people from horrible fates.
Became a millionaire through his own farming and hunting skills.
Became besties with an entire town.
Became a master blacksmith, craftsman, cook, tailor, and potion maker from not knowing his hands from his own rear end.
Defeated an evil empire.
Got a girlfriend.
Grew literal dungeons in his garden.
Proceeded to dominate all the festivals and contests.
Tamed more than one loving dragon and made them cooperate with one another.
Went to hell and beat up everything in it to find the soul of a veritable deity and give it form again.
Succeeded in giving it form again.

Sweet Googly Jesus Pubert.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shei-kun posted:

Going in the OP.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Shei-kun posted:

Became a master blacksmith, craftsman, cook, tailor, and potion maker from not knowing his hands from his own rear end.
Defeated an evil empire.
Got a girlfriend.
Went to hell and beat up everything in it to find the soul of a veritable deity and give it form again.

Is this a game or did you just list the twelve tasks of Anime Hercules?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Got a couple of lucky finds there. That equipment is INCREDIBLY high-tier.

Well, Nancy shouldn't've asked you to say anything if she didn't want to get creeped out by the answer.

If you like caster pets, then those fairies from the last miniboss fight are probably your best bet (except perhaps the Siren). I mean, the color fairies are pretty good on their own, and those things're essentially giant versions of them in the same vein as Mamadoodles being giant Cluckadoodles.

Ragnarok teleports too much. Don't really have much else to add to this; you've already gone over how BS the fight is.

Venti reappearing is kind of... unceremonious. I mean, there's this dramatic scene where Pubert's all shocked about her not appearing, and then when he gets home she's just kinda there. I suppose it fits her, though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ThornBrain posted:

Going in the OP.
I'm glad my freakout amused you.

Brunom1 posted:

Is this a game or did you just list the twelve tasks of Anime Hercules?
Have you seen the levels of anime bullshit Pubert has performed in the LP?

EDIT: I just noticed I listed exactly twelve things. This was not intentional but I choose to be proud of it anyway.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 3, 2017

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Defeated an evil empire.
Got a girlfriend.

But can he see why native dragons love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Are those commercials even on anymore? How old am I?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

YamiNoSenshi posted:

But can he see why native dragons love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Are those commercials even on anymore? How old am I?

No older than I am, dude, I assure you.

Shei-kun posted:

Defeated an evil empire.
Got a girlfriend.

All while stuck with the name Pubert. Ah, Christ, that still makes me giggle. drat it, Thorn.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's "A Boy Named Sue" syndrome. Pubert's parents knew he was destined for Great Things, and they knew that he'd have to be super tough and capable to see them through. So they named him after body hair.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

What to do once you saved everyone? Eavesdrop on them of course.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
My god I loved Forte's reaction to the "oooooooh, dirty" reply.

She doesn't even make an angry face. She just points her sword at you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I assume there's a similar conversation for the boys at some point.

Which reminds me that one of the recommended videos that showed up while I was watching this episode was one where they were using a girl avatar and they titled it "Doug becomes a Dad."

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think that by "nationalize" they mean "it's paid for by the government." So if you do that one then everyone there is technically living on government property.

I kinda like how Clorica's vibrating in eagerness (or anticipation, or nervousness) while Pubert's eating that pie. Pubert blatantly flirting with her afterwards, though... well, since he's already with Forte you'd think he'd know better.

Ventuswill is a dragon of simple tastes.

...Are Nancy and Jones contagious? Also: I've said it before, but I just don't get what's supposed to be romantic about feeding each other.

It's tempting to say that Forte heard about Pubert blatantly flirting with Clorica and got jealous when she came in during the second "girl talk" day.

Actually, you CAN get to level 50,000 in this game and it'll apparently display just fine (I obviously haven't gone that far, but there are apparently screenshots of people who have). Why you'd WANT to (and how you'd manage it without literally thousands of Levelisers) is beyond me.

It somehow amuses me that you managed to have the guy whose job description is literally "cook stuff for people" and who is canonically the best chef in the game (with the possible exception of the player) fail to even make it into the top 3 of the cooking contest. Maybe he just ate his entry before he could submit it to Volkanon- that's certainly in character.

Am I the only one who saw Nancy's "love lecture" turning out to be more along the lines of "how I met my spouse" coming? Her stalker-ness, though, caught me a little off guard.

I feel like someone might try to give you grief for not playing on Hard difficulty for the entire game, but frankly I don't see how that would add to the experience. Especially when it's already pulling so many cheap shots and not even bothering with balance anymore.

I still think you should try to tame at least one of the boss color fairies from Rune Prana. After all, if the color fairies're good, then the boss versions should be better, right?

Courage Badge is, by pure numbers, the strongest accessory in the game. Not necessarily the most USEFUL, since it doesn't have any effect beyond having high stats (though it does at least include status resistances in those stats), but definitely the strongest.

I think the Octopirate's horns are meant to be evocative of Vikings (who, from what I understand, had a strong tradition of piracy), while the rest is based on a nautilus. I have no idea what part of "giant, lightning-spewing chameleon" is remotely dragon-y, though.

Have you even bothered to keep Forte's equipment up to date? That might contribute to her lack of usefulness even more than her extremely low level.

...DId Fiersome just throw the sun at you? Because it looked like he threw the sun at you.

I wish the order "Ban Dylas from fishing contests" was allowed... that'd make things so much easier.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DOUG!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
And I had the very normal childhood fear of Animal and Gonzo from the Muppets sneaking out of the trash cans at night to eat me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DOUG!!! (/Dylas)

That airship thing went pretty well until the poking, I'd say. drat it, Pubert, are you physically CAPABLE of not ruining the moment?! At least the Observatory date wasn't mishandled too badly.

I know I said it before, but it bears repeating: DOUG!!! At least he demonstrates enough reason to agree to examine the goods further than a look at the label this time (as opposed to "must kill Ventuswill" for at least half his life when he only had the word of Mr. Blatant Evil Overlord to go on, and in defiance of what he actually found when he got there). Is that scene only available after he's gotten his head pulled out of his rear end?

I don't really think the mood was right for that "kiss her cheek" thing. Or any other romantic advances, really.

Of course nobody's punching any cats. They're too busy getting punched BY their cats. Also, I think we all know the conclusion she came to when you invited her over. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I asked her to decide where to go on my second date with her (the first, coincidentally the day after becoming a couple with her and thus the first day I could go on a date with her, was one of the festivals you can invite people to) and she asked to go there. Yes, that last option is pretty much "ask them where they want to go" (or, in more meta terminology, the "random" option).

Lin Fa? Xiao Pai seems pretty sensitive about how she talks, so maybe you shouldn't try advertising it. Honestly, I find "making fun of speech impediments" almost as unfunny as "making fun of physical disabilities." At least Dylas and Forte refuse to join in. Also, I'm surprised I'm saying this (because DOUG!!!), but I'm glad Doug called Kiel out on how terrible an idea it is.

You don't even need to be a little kid to have weird dreams; I've had a few that were so bizarre that I still remember them over a decade later, and I'm quite sure I was in high school at the time at the youngest. For example, one time I dreamed I found a giant rabbit statue in a desert, then got teleported onto it and fell off; I have no idea what it'd be doing there, and I remember a distinct feeling of confusion even while I was still in the dream. Honestly, that seems to be the kind of dream that sticks with me the most- the ones that have me going "what the hell is going on here?" WHILE I'M STILL DREAMING. Teleportation, incidentally, seems to be another theme in the dreams I remember.

• Locked thread