Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

peramene posted:

Pretty suspicious killing off chaoslord in the prologue

I am so in for a legendary Ecco mafia/Indiana Jones adventure let's do this

:agreed:

make me a spooky ghost tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod And Bot Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

EccoRaven posted:

:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, January 12th, ~11PM EST / ~8PM PST / (Friday) ~12PM GMT+8.

Nice, ending just in time for the Nintendo Switch stream

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Chaoslord

Clearly he killed Dr. Chao Slord in the hopes that he could slip in undetected and replace him.

:monocle:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Flying Leatherman posted:

I pointed it out because I don't believe that a town BP would do something that blatant on day 1. By putting it out there like that, if you are town, you basically guaranteed that scum would NK other people, and that means increased chance of hitting a real power role. There's no upside here for town and so it makes me question your alignment.

##vote FL

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

A sampling of Keane posts from other recent games

CCKeane posted:

COP I'M COP DON'T KILL ME I'M COP.

CCKeane posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that I have A VERY POWERFUL ROLE. Thank you and god bless.

CCKeane posted:

I hope I'm not BADGEred to softclaim in this role madness game, that always gets my BACON, also I am hungry for some DONUTS, too bad I don't work in an OFFICE(R) anymore.

CCKeane posted:

I don't want to outright claim, but let's just say I'm pretty KEANE to say that somebody is TOWN.

Harvest Mafia also has him saying "Hello I break all the rules because I'm a rogue cop with nothing to lose." and "HelloI am tracker thanks in advance." in PLL. I'd put those in quotes but when I click quote it just comes up with a white box, dont know why it's not working.

ANYWAY, the point of this exercise is that this is something Keane does a lot. I feel like there was one recently where he used TRACK in caps like he did with the bulletproof here, but I missed it if so.

Where I am going with this is "How could anyone possibly think that was a real claim?" Even without knowledge of Keane doing this, it seems a stretch to seriously believe anyone would do that as town, and if you've interacted with Keane at all you know he's a jokester.

I mean, I guess there are three ways you can see it:
1) Keane is joking
2) Keane is serious claiming BP
3) Keane is scum trying to float role claims

From my seat it's clearly #1. Maybe Keane is next-leveling it and really putting his claim out there (like how Ecco would never bus scummates and then did once), but even if that were the case, for it to truly be anti-town the scum team would have to take that claim seriously and act based on it. So far, I think FL is the only one who actually paid any attention to it as a serious thing. Honestly, if the scum team is going to take that bat signal of a claim on D1 seriously and change their actions because of it, we are probably going to have a real easy time solving this game.

FL took a hyperlogical approach to a clear jokepost. FL made a valid argument, it's just not sound. Maybe this is FL's way of getting people to serious post, but outside of that I find it crazy that he thinks this is a tree worth barking at.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tired Moritz posted:

considering that we had 1 page of content about this, I don't think it was that obvious that it was a joke post.

I'm more likely to believe it's 2 and he really is bp.

We have had a page of content about it because FL decided to make a big deal out of a joke post

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

My top suspects are CL and BK at the moment. FL's overly-serious post that they're basing their read on is:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you skipped over a couple of posts

Oh, come on. If you think pointing out the most blatant softclaimy post I've ever seen in a game of Mafia is rolefishing, then your definition is different than mine.

I pointed it out because I don't believe that a town BP would do something that blatant on day 1. By putting it out there like that, if you are town, you basically guaranteed that scum would NK other people, and that means increased chance of hitting a real power role. There's no upside here for town and so it makes me question your alignment.

Goodness, I guess we were all supposed to just maintain the illusion that that was a real good, obscure breadcrumb, in that case. Can you draw a bright line between "breadcrumb" and "actual claim"? Because that felt more like a claim to me than anything else.

And that's why I'm pulling it out and examining it - because there is no positive motivation for a town BP to claim on day one.

Is this a meta thing? I don't remember ever playing a game with Keane so all I can do is play based on what I see.

But :lol: that you think I'm the one mischaracterizing.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

They also both assume in the posts you quoted that I would make a logical leap from "Keane is not serious outside of Mafia games" to "Keane would blatantly fakeclaim" without prior meta knowledge. It's a weird parallel.

:psyduck: you don't need meta knowledge to recognize that that was a joke post. Keane is not the only person to ever do a thing like that. You know Keane jokes and you have played mafia so you have presumably seen this thing we call "jokephase".

I am baffled that anyone could seriously believe Keanes post was an actual claim

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

Those were responses to things like

I would absolutely expect a town FL to defend himself there because being accused of rolefishing for responding to Keane's post is ridiculous.

And in his responses he demonstrated that he was being....

Drumroll....

Hyperlogical! Which is the whole point of my case. Just because they were responses doesn't mean I should ignore them. If anything, you trying to handwave his justification away as "explaining himself nbd, you shouldn't consider that" is crazy. of course I should consider his responses.

When FL showed his work, I thought it was way too serious about an obvious joke.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

In fact

##unvote
##vote Murmur Twin

In case anyone didn't read my last post: Murmur twin tried to mischaracterize my case by saying it was built on a single post which I was labeling over serious. When I pointed out that the case was built on FLs other posts, she dismissed them as "responses", as if I am not supposed to build a case when someone is showing their reasoning.

I don't see how a town player can hold the idea that using FLs other posts as evidence is invalid because he was defending himself. I don't see how any player can hold that idea, mind, but it screams to me scum trying to come in and pick off what they perceive to be low hanging fruit

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

This does make me laugh, though. How am I supposed to play mafia? Should I just try and feel who the scum are? Analyzing posts in an analytical game is a reasonable thing to do and I will continue to assume that that is how mafia should be played.

I agree that logic is good, since that is how I play, too. However, trying to force the Platonic Ideal of Good Town Play onto a clear joke post is crazy. I feel like I've said that sentence or one similar like a million times now.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

It was a weak read at best and your case on me makes me at least believe that you believe what you're saying.

If you think it's a weak read, that's fine, but imo there's a huge world of difference between a weak read and one that is built off of mischaracterizing a post, which is what you called it originally.

But at this point I'm probably just tunnelling and mad at basketball and blah blah. I'll come back with a fresh pair of eyes in the morning.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Certainly wasn't expecting to come back to all that

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

General reminder that after we lynch a scum today we can all watch the Switch livestream together :toot:

Ok gonna reread now

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Hey Flying Leatherman, how much have you played with Murmur Twin before and how would you rate their playstyle, as in would you say they are more serious or jokey or a mix or what? IDK use your words.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Aaaaanyway, reading through Infi's posts, I'm actually seeing something really weird. He didn't make a single solid read over 80 posts. A lot of advice on how to play forums mafia, a lot of "I am on good behaviour", no reads. His two votes were on Tobbs ("I believe Kash's case", which, you know, Max made a pretty decent point here w/r/t that) and OMG (lurker vote). Pending Chic's play, that strikes me as a red flag with that many posts - sound, fury, signifying nothing, you know? I'd actually lean scum after looking over this again.

Tired Moritz posted:

I feel like Infi don't make lots of posts until he has one giant case that he'll dump in the thread that he'll stick to 100%. Well it doesn't matter since he's rip and I don't think it's fair to Chic to lynch them for something that they didn't even type.

Nobody's voting Chic, where is this coming from? :\

???

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tired Moritz posted:

gently caress it, just ignore it. I'm just trying to add to the conversation. :(

I should have been more clear with my post:

FL brought up "Hey maybe Infi/chic was scum". Then you said "I don't think its fair to lynch chic based on infi's play". Then FL said "Why are you talking about Chic?" when they had brought it up pretty recently.

I don't like it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Right, yes, but it doesn't strike you as a little excessive of a defense considering I'm not voting Chic, nobody else is, and I already explicitly said I'm holding off until Chic posts?

It only looks weird to me imo without your post being quoted there. Like if I came across

Tired Moritz posted:

Aaaaanyway, reading through Infi's posts, I'm actually seeing something really weird. He didn't make a single solid read over 80 posts. A lot of advice on how to play forums mafia, a lot of "I am on good behaviour", no reads. His two votes were on Tobbs ("I believe Kash's case", which, you know, Max made a pretty decent point here w/r/t that) and OMG (lurker vote). Pending Chic's play, that strikes me as a red flag with that many posts - sound, fury, signifying nothing, you know? I'd actually lean scum after looking over this again.
I feel like Infi don't make lots of posts until he has one giant case that he'll dump in the thread that he'll stick to 100%. Well it doesn't matter since he's rip and I don't think it's fair to Chic to lynch them for something that they didn't even type.

I don't think it looks weird. Yes, you said "Pending Chic's play", but if Chic played scummy you are also willing to use Infini's words against Chic. TM is saying they won't consider what Infini said at all in their opinion of Chic. I don't agree with that personally, I think replacement's old lives are fair game, but I don't fault TM for holding that opinion.

I think our difference here is you read TM as saying "I don't think it's fair to Chic to lynch them for something they didn't even type [right now]", whereas I read the bracketed part as [at all].

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tired Moritz posted:

Also the people that's most defensive of Tobbs is ChaosLord and BottleKnight

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Are you sure? Infinitum has 2x as many posts as what, 80% of the players and he hasn't been playing since last night. Hell, I've got the most posts and this is pretty light by my usual standards.

How many of those were good posts? :v:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Still think MMT is the best lynch but I'll start reading the lynch leaders in case I need to move.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

this is a stickup posted:

mmt is on my list but in no scenario would I vote mmt before tmm today

Not even at deadline?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

this is a stickup posted:

I want to say no, because I believe tmm is by far the better choice

but I am weak and despise no lynches so I'd definitely cave to prevent one

Not many times you see someone willing to say "I would want to no lynch" even if the conclusion is that you'd cave. TBH, I like it. I don't think there is time for TMM today but I'll keep them on the shortlist to look at.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Working on catching up earlier and I got distracted and never tied up this line of thinking. :siren:NOTE That I do not think FL is scum anymore:siren: but in the interest of tying up loose ends

Hey! Usually I find MMT pretty serious and engaged in games - good at scumhunting and really good at blending in as scum. (Was it Shine 2? I think it was Shine 2 when she was scum, and fooled everyone. I don't know exactly how many games I've played with her, but definitely "engaged" would be a word I'd use.)

Cool. The reason I asked about Murmur Twin was because she posted this

Murmur Twin posted:

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod And Bot Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

...wait, do I have to say all that if I'm a doublevoter? Asking for a friend.

Which imo is just as much of a "breadcrumb" as what Keane did but you skated by this and called out Keano instead. Obviously you saw claiming BP as more anti-town than claiming double voter, and I don't necessarily disagree, so this "lead" I thought I stumbled onto ended up being a bunch of nothing.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kashuno posted:

We think you idiots need to vote pmom holy gently caress

I'm on page 20 and :agreed: with this. Much rather PMom than SSV but got some more reading to do.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Made it to page 21 and yeah. PMom has a vote on SSV at this point in time and then

Pinterest Mom posted:

for real look at this pair of moat posts!!

Moat calling SSV scum there but turning around and voting TMM, on who he doesn't have a scum read, feels really bad to me. Either scum trying to deflect off a scumbud without attaching themselves to a town read, or scum trying to set up a paper trail to vote SSV on d2/d3.

Chic Trombone posted:

so you think moat and ssv are scum together?

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm not sure what my belief ordering is on (only SSV scum) / (only Moat scum) / (both scum)

Pinterest Mom posted:

(but tbc: i think moat is scummy independent of ssv)

"I am voting SSV. I think moat is setting things up to vote SSV later. I am unsure if they are scum together. I think moat is scum." PMom never votes moat These opinions are not consistent.

##unvote
##vote PMom

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

this is a really weird, bad mischaracterization of the quoted posts and really feels like tunneling. I had a town read on you until here CLord.

I am all ears on what I am reading wrong about that

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Like, look at the juxtaposition of these posts. This is why TM is on my list. It's like he forgets the alignment calls he's making because they're all fake.

So who all is around? Because I don't think there's 12.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

##unvote
##vote SSV

See everyone in the discord for Switch event

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Max posted:

OK well BK visited me last night and masoned me. Fat lot of good that did.

Wait BK visited and masoned?

Eccoooooooooooooooo!!!!! :argh:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

If you received a visit from me last night, please speak up in the thread, thank you

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Max posted:

Wassup with this?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I am a digger + visitor but apparently I work differently than BK. I don't quite know what to make of that. Part of what you said matches up with what I would expect based on my role PM, but obviously part (most, even) doesn't.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

That doesn't particularly help imo. Being able to create confirmed masonries at night seems like too much. But maybe "visitor" is just the generic role name for a bunch of slightly different ones. IDK. Something to think about.

Agree with general thought on PMom.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:psyduck:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Speaking of day cycle, though, tomorrow I am driving to Mississippi to work 11pm-7am Sunday into Monday and Monday into Tuesday, and then driving home, so I will be absent the majority of the rest of D2 after today

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Max posted:

Like the thing that worries me is that Pmom and pera may both town and scum are just gonna sit back for a bit and see how this plays out, since it's good for them either way. The fact that no one has come in and really gone hard for either of them I think speaks volumes to that.

That's possible, but what, 7? people have expressed some level of suspicion at PMom today. Sure, no one has gone "hard" outside of pera thunderdoming, but I would chalk no one going hard on them as more a function of the weekend than anything.

Like, if pera's post hadn't happened 2 hours ago, do you think someone at this point would have come in with a big case?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Do I need to read the last four pages

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nah just vote with me
-----

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nope, you don't get to give up agency over your vote. Tell us who your scum picks are, lay down a vote, try to make a dunk happen. Don't just snipe, commit.

:lol:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

You were one of the first votes on SSV, sooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Was I? I voted like deadline -3

You were the third vote on Vimes, a lurker lynch, at a time where Tobbs had 5, MMT had 4, and PMom had 3, two hours before deadline. And then you never came back.

• Locked thread