Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New season begins airing Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 11:35AM PST on Crunchyroll.

Gintama (lit. "Silver Soul") is a shounen comedy/action series, with the original manga by Sorachi Hideki, set in a world mixing Edo-era Japan with modern-day technology, thanks to the help of alien contact. The series is known for its crazy 4th wall self-referential humor, audacious parody, occasional moving moments, and most of all, dick jokes. The series title itself is based off its similarity to the Japanese slang for testicles, kintama.

Here are the episodes by season breakdown. The show only makes the switch to widescreen starting in Episode 202.

Gintama (001-201)
Gintama' (202-252) + Enchousen (253-265)
Gintama° (266-316)
Gintama. (317+)

How do I watch this? What do I watch?

:siren: The series in near endgame arc territory now, so the new season is likely not a good place to start for new viewers! :siren:

The series is highly episodic so starting with any other season would work, but I'd argue watching everything in order provides the best experience overall.

The series is rather uneven for the first 30 episodes or so, but afterwards becomes more consistent and generally better as it goes along. If you'd like some suggestions for episodes to watch without that investment, here's a rec list of specific episodes, maintained by me. Every episode is pretty good in some respect once you get down to it though.

You can skip the hour special that is the first two episodes. They're an anime original in media res story back when the anime wasn't that great, and nothing else in the show refers to it again.

The ***C episodes in the Enchousen season (Season 2 (253-265) on Crunchyroll) are just reruns with the then OP/ED, and the bonus content just refers to the little movie updates continuity at the end. Just watch the originals when you get to them. One exception: Episode 138 had a brief ~1 minute scene cut out in its original airing on Crunchyroll, likely because of copyright concerns with the music. 138C restores this scene.

Streaming

The TV series is available on Crunchyroll.

The first movie is a remake of a TV arc with better animation and some bonus new scenes. The opening and ending bits are at least worth watching for the usual fourth wall fuckery. It was licensed by Sentai and was on Hulu at one point. The second movie is an original story written by Sorachi. Unlicensed so you'll have to rely on fansubs, but very much worth hunting down.

Also there's a live action movie in the works. It's going to be adapting the Benizakura arc again. Hooray.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

hell yeah

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope OP is permabanned to keep up the tradition.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm on like ep.170 or so and this is some of the stupidest, funniest poo poo I've ever seen. I love it.

I won't be caught up by the 9th but I'm glad there's an end in sight.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Just another week to go. I'm pretty excited.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So.. it's finally here. The final chapter.... of the Gintama anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the manga well enough, but the voice actors make the anime really special

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I feel like I'm the only person excited about the live action. It's being directed by the same creative team behind The Hero Yoshihiko, Blue Blazes and the upcoming Saint Young Men dorama, with the added benefit of a very generous budget. Can't wait for the year to end so that comes out in home video.

oh and woo new Gintama anime next week I guess :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So, will this run of the anime be the end of Gintama for real? Is the manga still going, or is it approaching an end that can line up with the anime before they need to take another break

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

So, will this run of the anime be the end of Gintama for real? Is the manga still going, or is it approaching an end that can line up with the anime before they need to take another break

I mean no one really knows, but on the other hand they used a period for this season's name (!!!).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

The manga is currently going through the series climax. Theoretically, Sorachi could just do comedy after this forever, but that doesn't seem likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even after gintama ends, i would still like sorachi to do comedy forever.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My favorite little thing about the Gintama anime, to date: Kintoki, the robot duplicate who was designed to be Gintoki's superior replacement who did everything perfectly? Same voice actor as Shiba Tatsuya, the Protagonist Who Could Do No Wrong from the justly infamous Mahouka.

I mean, I can't prove he was cast as a stealth burn on Mahouka, but it wouldn't be the first time they used the choice of voice actors to set up a gag.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rangpur posted:

My favorite little thing about the Gintama anime, to date: Kintoki, the robot duplicate who was designed to be Gintoki's superior replacement who did everything perfectly? Same voice actor as Shiba Tatsuya, the Protagonist Who Could Do No Wrong from the justly infamous Mahouka.

I mean, I can't prove he was cast as a stealth burn on Mahouka, but it wouldn't be the first time they used the choice of voice actors to set up a gag.

I'm pretty sure Mahouka came after his role as Kintoki (2012 v 2014).

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Rangpur posted:

The gag is that Gintoki and Kintoki's voice actors are inseparable BFFs irl who have also played opposing roles in other shows, so having Nakamura play Sugita's so-called perfect counterpart makes total sense as a casting decision.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mordja posted:

I hope OP is permabanned to keep up the tradition.

Dryzen posted:

hell yeah

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm pretty sure Mahouka came after his role as Kintoki (2012 v 2014).
Rats! But I shall always treasure it in my 'industry insider joke headcanon'

Still you have stuff like casting Juubei's monkey with the same VA as Onihime from Sket Dance, which was 100% intentional. (Which we know because they mentioned it in the crossover episode.)

In conclusion, Gintama is funny, cool and good. Thank you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gintama is my favorite anime of all time easily

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

supposedly he is wrapping it up, but he didn't put an end date on it. basically I think what that means is he has the rest of the story mapped out and he is just working toward that end goal. they're finally starting to tie everything together and give closure on some things so its getting closer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

The gag is that Gintoki and Kintoki's voice actors are inseparable BFFs irl who have also played opposing roles in other shows, so having Nakamura play Sugita's so-called perfect counterpart makes total sense as a casting decision.

Despite the fact that Nakamura constantly tells people that he and Sugita are not that close, they're such good bros, it's almost hilarious that he keeps 'denying' it.

Thinking back on it, Sugita tends to be super bros with almost anybody he interacts with on a constant basis and almost every other acquaintance that I have in common with him in the Tokyo/Chiba/Saitama area (other voice actors, recording engineers, producers, composers, etc) tend to speak of him really fondly.

But yeah, I'm pumped for more Gintama!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ignis posted:

that is :3: as gently caress

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

that is :3: as gently caress

Here's a somewhat well known thing that has both of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7W6US_W4

(Dude in the middle is Takahiro Sakurai, who played Makishima in Psycho-Pass and Rohan in Last Year's JoJo)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Here's a somewhat well known thing that has both of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7W6US_W4

(Dude in the middle is Takahiro Sakurai, who played Makishima in Psycho-Pass and Rohan in Last Year's JoJo)

omg

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mostly hate anime and for some reason this dumb show makes me care enough about the goofy villains' sob stories to keep watching.

Wish they'd stop coming up with interesting characters then have them fall off the face of the earth once their arc is done.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the cool ramen shop girl who Katsura has a crush on has another arc in the manga but now that will never be animated :(

it's a shame there's some good stuff in the manga that probably can't make it in the anime because of where they left off.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

that's from tokyo encounter, which does have a group subbing it though they're behind a couple of episodes i think. it's great fun watching sugita and nakamura cut up with whoever they drag onto the show. episodes 37 and 38 have shinpachi's VA on it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly didn't even know that was a thing. I think im gonna watch it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wish the subs didn't stop giving information in ep 200+. I'm pretty sure half the jokes they're making in this crossover episode has to do with breaking the forth wall and references the VA's, but I have no idea who's who.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Tomorrow....

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Squark is my friend and she is going to stream the live action Gintama movie for me when it comes out and is subbed

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Squark is my friend and she is going to stream the live action Gintama movie for me when it comes out and is subbed

What about when it's dubbed

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i thought this was showing at 11:30 est but its PST, poo poo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

What about when it's dubbed

no

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope that somehow Shoyo turning out to be some kind of immortal guy doesn't cheapen the fact that Gintoki killed him.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang gintama is good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my wife bought me a calendar

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 10, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

it's not Katsura... It's Zura! :aaaaa:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

it's not Katsura... It's Zura! :aaaaa:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been rewatching the anime, and i've gotten up to yoshiwara. i really like how gintama acknowledges how incredibly hosed up and monstrous the historical yoshiwara was even in the middle of an extended boss fight riddled with awkward metaphors and dumb gags.

but man, gintama really struggled to find its pace during the third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know how else to say this, or if I even believe it yet even though I'm watching it, but the motherfuckin' Gintama dub from canada we all forgot about is finally here, and it's on Crunchyroll