Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Der Shovel posted:

United have confirmed that Fellaini has signed a 12 month contract extension.

I was really hoping he'd be sold somewhere :-/

United's current midfield options are Pogba, Herrera, Old Man Carrick, Old Man Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and some kids who never play. Unless Jose is planning on buying 3 new central midfielders next year it makes sense to hold onto him as backup for the time being. Or if he is offloaded in the summer at least it will be for a fee now rather than on a bosman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Payet is refusing to play and wants to leave. West Ham has been incredible entertainment for the neutrals this season.

http://www.football365.com/news/payet-refusing-to-play-for-west-ham-wants-exit

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jippa posted:

Payet is refusing to play and wants to leave. West Ham has been incredible entertainment for the neutrals this season.

"Huge baby trapped in a man's body refuses to do his bloody job even though he gets paid £125,000 a week"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Tbf he is 29 he should either be top half team or in China. Should have moved after the euros tbh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jippa posted:

You can bloody tell he doesn't want to play by watching him, he's directly cost us some important games this season

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wouldn't get out of bed for less than the £200k some big teams have quietly offered me to play with better players in a not-terrible stadium.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
West Ham should try and sell Payet for whatever silly money they can get for him while he's still in his 20s and has a great reputation. It's unlikely Payet will ever be as good for West Ham in the future as he has been and he'll hit 30 in the summer and his value will drop.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

United's current midfield options are Pogba, Herrera, Old Man Carrick, Old Man Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and some kids who never play. Unless Jose is planning on buying 3 new central midfielders next year it makes sense to hold onto him as backup for the time being. Or if he is offloaded in the summer at least it will be for a fee now rather than on a bosman.

Could very possibly be this.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Graham Taylor has died, rip

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

Graham Taylor has died, rip

Do I not like that

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

United have confirmed that Fellaini has signed a 12 month contract extension.

I was really hoping he'd be sold somewhere :-/

His contract was up at the end of the season

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
gently caress, I was hoping we'd get him for free.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Do you remember when posters where claiming that Fellaini was one of the best midfielders in Europe?

I do.

Hahaha.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Xabi posted:

Do you remember when posters where claiming that Fellaini was one of the best midfielders in Europe?

I do.

Hahaha.

Best chest control in the world

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Xabi posted:

I do.

Hahaha.
No. Who claimed that?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

PirateBob posted:

No. Who claimed that?

Probably a Belge, that's a thing they do.

Remember when they said that this time they meant it, and they were definitely bringing the best team in Europe to a competition, and then they got clowned on by Hal Robson-Kanu, a player with literally no interest in him? I do.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Flayer posted:

West Ham should try and sell Payet for whatever silly money they can get for him while he's still in his 20s and has a great reputation. It's unlikely Payet will ever be as good for West Ham in the future as he has been and he'll hit 30 in the summer and his value will drop.

yeah now that marseille have started it I can genuinely see him going to arsenal if anything above 30m is offered

we're ok we'll buy gylfi (and no rightback)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

I do.

Hahaha.

Not targeting you, but I feel like a lot of people will make posts like this and not be able to back it up with anything. I'm not the most active poster of all, but I think I would have remembered people saying Fellaini is a top midfielder.

Unless this was around the time he did that little spin move. He definitely got a lot of mileage out of that one.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

It was back when he played for Everton (or maybe the mancs had just bought him) but the hype was very, very real.

I urge people to buy the upgrade and dig through the archives. Unfortunately I don't have the time, because I'm about to have sex with my wife.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
People were definitely talking up Fellaini around the time he moved to United, but no one was going so far as to say he was one of the best midfielders in Europe.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I think Fellaini is a pretty decent player and I think all top clubs need a large squad with all the competitions so idk why keeping him seems like such a big deal.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xabi posted:

It was back when he played for Everton (or maybe the mancs had just bought him) but the hype was very, very real.

I urge people to buy the upgrade and dig through the archives. Unfortunately I don't have the time, because I'm about to have sex with my wife.

Do it yourself as you made the claim and don't lie about the sex you're not fooling anyone

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I think Fellaini is a good player, but he's not in a club that is suited to his strengths. He was pretty drat good at Everton.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Xabi posted:

Every word in this post is STDH.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just want to know what the hell that celebration he does means. The one with the thumb around his head then the fist pump.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not targeting you, but I feel like a lot of people will make posts like this and not be able to back it up with anything. I'm not the most active poster of all, but I think I would have remembered people saying Fellaini is a top midfielder.

Unless this was around the time he did that little spin move. He definitely got a lot of mileage out of that one.

Arsenal fans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At Everton Fellaini happened to be in a system that highlighted his strengths and hid his weaknesses, so I'm unsurprised if some posters here maybe saw him as one of the league's better midfielders around the time of his move to Man U. I don't remember the kind of "best in Europe" hyperbole though.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*In Manchester United version of Xabi voice* haha remember when every Liverpool fan ever said Djimi Traoré was better than Cannavaro? I have all the posts somewhere but don't have archives so you'll just have to take my word for it

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
a french flare player who had an amazing season is now lazy and throwing a strop just a few months later? :monocle:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

julian assflange posted:

*In Manchester United version of Xabi voice* haha remember when every Liverpool fan ever said Djimi Traoré was better than Cannavaro? I have all the posts somewhere but don't have archives so you'll just have to take my word for it

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League more times than Cannavaro though

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League more times than Cannavaro though

Yessss yessssssssssss!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember "Fellani is the best" chat. It was his last season at Everton were he was playing a more advanced role than usual and he started scoring a bunch of goals.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Probably a Belge, that's a thing they do.

Remember when they said that this time they meant it, and they were definitely bringing the best team in Europe to a competition, and then they got clowned on by Hal Robson-Kanu, a player with literally no interest in him? I do.

Did Kanu ever pick up a club? Clubs love over valuing players after a good tourney.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Xabi posted:

I do.

Hahaha.

I remember this. A lot of man u fans were saying he was the solution Fergie needed in the center all these years, and they were surprised teams like Bayern or Madrid hadn't snapped him up. Delusional.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Kanu ever pick up a club? Clubs love over valuing players after a good tourney.

West Brom nabbed him, and he's been decent for them.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Lots of people upped Fellaini, even with the fickleness of this forum that one stood out.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Xabi posted:

I do.

Hahaha.

No seriously this did happen, I present Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvv-oHdIaw

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Lots of people upped Fellaini, even with the fickleness of this forum that one stood out.

But nobody said he was one of the best midfielders in Europe.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I am deeply saddened and shocked to hear about Graham's passing. He was like a brother to me," he added.

"He took my beloved Watford from the depths of the lower leagues to uncharted territory and into Europe. We have become a leading English club because of his managerial wisdom and genius."

- Elton John

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38600446

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Xabi posted:

nice whats his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The ship is sinking:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/manchester-united-debt-uefa-report-european-club-football-landscape-qpr-glazer-family-a7523761.html

• Locked thread