Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

Goal of the year already happened, so we can just stop trying now

https://fat.gfycat.com/KlutzyFlimsyFieldmouse.webm

Zlatanesque

I'm glad Liverpool won their Christmas games and I hope we finish first second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

That draw against Sunderland wasn't totally typical Liverpool because typical Liverpool would have lost.

Yeah this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Did you a least score?

Torn ACLs aren't a huge turn-on unfortunately

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Should long distance goals count as double? Like basketball where a goal is 3 points if the striker shoots it in the goal from a certain distance, should goals in football count as double if they scored from a certain distance?

The upside is that long distance goals would much more valuable and the team would be rewarded more for scoring a more difficult shot, however we would see an increase in shite shots from distance.

Double if they're scored from your own half, triple if they're scored by a goalkeeper from anywhere on the field

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you score a goal so hard that the net breaks and the ball keeps going, you win the game instantly no matter what the score is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Mesut Özil has said he would like to sign a new contract with Arsenal but that he wants to know if Arsène Wenger is staying at the Emirates Stadium beyond this season before committing to the club.

The attacking midfielder, who has 18 months left on his contract, said in an interview with the German football magazine Kicker: “I am very, very happy at Arsenal and have let the club know that I would be ready to sign a new contract. The fans want that I stay and now it is just down to the club.”

Özil, who signed for Arsenal in 2013 after three years at Real Madrid, said it is not a financial decision: “The club knows that I am here most of all because of Arsène Wenger. He is the one who signed me and he is the one whose trust I have. The club also knows that I want to be clear what the manager is going to [in the future].” Wenger’s contract runs out this summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/08/mesut-ozil-arsenal-contract-arsene-wenger

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At Everton Fellaini happened to be in a system that highlighted his strengths and hid his weaknesses, so I'm unsurprised if some posters here maybe saw him as one of the league's better midfielders around the time of his move to Man U. I don't remember the kind of "best in Europe" hyperbole though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

julian assflange posted:

*In Manchester United version of Xabi voice* haha remember when every Liverpool fan ever said Djimi Traoré was better than Cannavaro? I have all the posts somewhere but don't have archives so you'll just have to take my word for it

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League more times than Cannavaro though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My favourite bit was Total Meatlove's comment about the release clause

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EC10 posted:

abolish all international football other than the world cup. its all poo poo and happens far too regularly, and the best players in the world end up getting worked too hard. of course they should be allowed to choose to skip and the clubs that pay them should have a say in it

imo get rid of all qualifiers and friendlies

every four years the world cup happens, all the world's countries play a straight knockout with no group stage

every four years spaced separately from the world cup the different continental associations have their tournaments which are also straight knockouts with no group stage

also no seeding, every draw is totally random

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shoren posted:

America pays the men's team and at a higher rate than the women and the women throw a fit about it from time to time.

Isn't it the case that in women's football some national associations pay their players throughout the year, not just for matches, since they don't make enough from their clubs to actually train full-time?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shroud posted:

Seriously?

It's happened before. That's why the current regulations are in place. Sure it sucks for Matip and Liverpool, but it was the clubs that created this mess by their past actions.

But Cameroon didn't even bother calling him up. He said he didn't want to play, they didn't call him up, and now they're just forcing him to not play for Liverpool out of spite.

If they had called him up and he had actually refused the call there might be a case for the regulations playing a role here. But the precedent actually being set in this case is that international teams can arbitrarily decide that any player of their nationality, even if they aren't named in the tournament squad, can be banned from club football while the international team plays a tournament. Which is an insanely dumb precedent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

On the last Football Ramble they talked about how people say keepers are "good shot stoppers" and how you'd expect that, the better keepers are better at other things as well. They made the point that Bravo can distribute but can't save shots and gave some crazy stat that he's pretty much conceded every shot on target.

I've no lost love for Hart, but the egg on Pep's sulky face is endlessly entertaining.

Pep is so used to dominating leagues with 80% possession and needing a keeper who's more of a last-line midfielder that has to save one shot a game that he forgot to buy a keeper who can actually save that one shot

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

I sure do like losing to the bottom placed side.

What the gently caress is wrong with us?

haven't won a game since Mane left

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Syncopated posted:

Wenger, his zipper stuck

settle down aatrek

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wenger, in the stands, furious tapping out his tactical instructions via Morse code.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reprisal posted:

Henderson out injured

Mane at AFCON

Henderson out is the bigger issue

Nah imo Mane being gone is a bigger deal. In the seven games he's been gone we've scored 5 goals, compared to 16 in the seven before he left. Having him on the field makes us much more able to unlock stubborn defences because he runs at defenders and doesn't immediately lose the ball. Without him our offence lacks penetration and just passes side-to-side all day. Coutinho being out also hasn't helped, he's inconsistent but has those occasional wonder moments where he just threads a pass through perfectly or beats a couple defenders to open up space for someone else. We're not actually conceding many more goals than we were before this month, the defence has been shaky for about five years and that hasn't changed, the difference is we're losing games 1-0 or 2-1 when a month or two ago we were winning those 2-1 or 4-2.

We'll see if the team improves when Mane is back, but I wouldn't be surprised if this bad run has sapped a lot of morale out of the rest of the squad and they don't feel like they're invincible or can win every game anymore.

The one bright note I guess is that at least a lot of these bad performances have been in cup games, so if the team does manage to turn it around the chance of a strong league finish hasn't been completely thrown away along with the chance of silverware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

Also preniun lol

lmao they managed to spell it "premum" in one line and then "premiun" in the url

some intern is getting fired

• Locked thread