Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

shirts and skins posted:

Sup, Packers fans? Falcons offense is pretty good, huh?

Love,
Seahawks Fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/823623221929017345

quote:

There's one more Browns/Super Bowl connection, which isn't direct, but is valid. Atlanta's Julio Jones was the player the Falcons drafted when the Browns traded out of that slot in 2011. The Browns touted the deal as one that would help build the team with numbers of players. They wound up with defensive tackle Phil Taylor, receiver Greg Little, fullback Owen Marecic, quarterback Brandon Weeden and running back Trend Richardson.

None of the five are with the Browns today.

christ

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
that's a fuckin stat right there

Here's the Browns upcoming draft positions, as of right now

1/1
1/12 (From Eagles)

2/1
2/18 (From Titans)

3/1

4/Two comp picks

5/1
5/NE's pick, either 31 or 32
5/Comp

6/1

7/no picks

I'm sure they'll get lots of great players with this bounty of high picks!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Intruder posted:

The dumb sports fan thing where you think your lack of faith will cause your team to lose? I don't know

That is what blood sacrifices are for. :v:

OSheaman posted:

Mike Daniels is the only good D lineman on the team at the moment. Clark might eventually be OK but he has some work to do for sure. The ILBs are undersized and tryhard guys, Matthews has had several disappointing seasons in a row, Clinton-Dix had a terrible end to a decent season that was somehow reqarded with a Pro Bowl, Nick Perry and Datone Jones are basically the definition of JAGs, Sam Shields is done and both second year corners regressed so hard they're going to have to fight for their spots in camp next year. This defense is a mess and I don't know that I trust Ted to fix it.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Clinton-Dix started to drop off immediately after the secondary died. I think you are undervaluing their defensive talent. Your defensive roster is more me than outright bad.

I think the bigger issue is coaching. I'm not sure the Pats are really that talented on defense, but they maximize what they get out of their players.

(Not to say they lack talent so much as lack game breakers )

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Pats are getting results from Shea McClellin and Kyle Van Noy. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all time.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

best receiver per pff is david johnson 🤔

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

everybody was laughing at us at how dumb the falcons were for trading that many picks to get julio

who's laughing now????

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Office Surprise Store posted:

everybody was laughing at us at how dumb the falcons were for trading that many picks to get julio

who's laughing now????

The trade was still a bad idea.

Winning the lottery doesn't make buying that ticket a smart idea - you where just lucky that a bad gamble paid off.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GaussianCopula posted:

Winning the lottery doesn't make buying that ticket a smart idea - you where just lucky that a bad gamble paid off.

As it turns out it was a better idea than Bill's suggestion that they take "the same player" in Jonathan Baldwin.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hifi posted:

best receiver per pff is david johnson 🤔

oh, huh, they put up end of the season awards:

Best player / opoty / passer: Brady
dpoty / pass rusher - Aaron Donald
runner / roty - Ezekial Elliott
receiver - David Johnson
OL - Marshal Yanda
Best team OL - Titans
Pass protector - David Bakhtiari
Run blocker - Travis Frederick
Run defender - Damon Harrison
Coverage guy - Aqib Talib
CPOTY - Cameron Wake
Breakout player - Landon Collins

Yep, that's PFF-y as heck.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

GaussianCopula posted:

It was both the right move at the time, and a terrible gamble and it both paid off with a deep run in 2012 and Super Bowl Run this year, but also cost them the ability to restock with draft talent in-between.

Sometimes you can make the right moves and still not win a Championship. I'd argue that Atlanta did make the right move trading for Jones when they did to get the short-term boost, but still didn't succeed, then paid the price over a pretty talent-lean stretch, and now has overcome that cost while still reaping the longer-term benefits.

Not everything has to be terrible or great. There's lots of in-between.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Look man, in the age of hot takes and listicles there's no room for nuance. Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

GaussianCopula posted:

There's a lot of different ways to use draft capital, but as long as you're actually acquiring the right player for your team it's a blowhard stance to grandstand about how stupid a move it was. If the whole process is a gamble and a "lottery ticket" then stocking up on 3rd round picks is like buying a ton of scratch tickets. You can't indict the process in the same breath that you demand it be adhered to

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

This falls in here because the Steelers lost, glory to god-

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/825081422515945472

Take away a first, goodell! Show them who's boss!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's funny seeing all the comments about how they won't get punished because they're not the Patriots. Aren't the aren't Seahawks getting docked a second round pick for pretty much the same thing?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They did it most of the season though I think

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pats fans have the strangest persecution complex, after their team has been caught blatantly cheating over and over again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Intruder posted:

They did it most of the season though I think

Pete never even really says when it was specifically, but somewhere around mid-season is when Sherman got hurt. Still no official word on the punishment yet, AFAIK. They have multiple offseason violations, which is why they're probably going to get a harsher punishment. If anything, the Steelers will just get a fine.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

It's funny seeing all the comments about how they won't get punished because they're not the Patriots. Aren't the aren't Seahawks getting docked a second round pick for pretty much the same thing?

i think they elevated the 5th? round lost for the practice violations to the 2nd round, so it's a little different.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind making sure injury reports and such need to be very comprehensive? I don't understand the harm of leaving Sherman, for example, off for a tweaked MCL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a patagonian cavy posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the rationale behind making sure injury reports and such need to be very comprehensive? I don't understand the harm of leaving Sherman, for example, off for a tweaked MCL.

To stop insiders from having a betting advantage and from being able to sell information like that to Vegas/sharps.

I don't know what the NFL claims is the reason, but that's the actual reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

To stop insiders from having a betting advantage and from being able to sell information like that to Vegas/sharps.

I don't know what the NFL claims is the reason, but that's the actual reason.

The league's justification is that gaming the injury reports can mess with an opponent's gameplan, which is true -- you're going to scheme against the Seahawks differently if you know Sherman isn't running on all cylinders.

I think Mike Shanahan's Broncos were notorious for having like half the roster listed as questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Timby posted:

I think Mike Shanahan's Broncos were notorious for having like half the roster listed as questionable.

Belichick is known for doing this too and it's rather smart. Just have every player with a bruise on it and you drown out the information your opponent could get from it while still not violating the league policy.

• Locked thread