Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When 90% of your post about your Super Bowl winning team is about the negatives of that Super Bowl winning team you are just complaining...

...about a Super Bowl winning team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

TBeats posted:

When 90% of your post about your Super Bowl winning team is about the negatives of that Super Bowl winning team you are just complaining...

...about a Super Bowl winning team.

I'm not complaining!!!! Bringing up and discussing flaws and saying the offense was bad isn't complaining!! The offense WAS bad! Should I say the offense was good just because we won? No!! It wasn't!! That we had such a bad offense is fun to look back on. That's why I do it. If it made me miserable I'd block it out like I do the losses to the Redskins for the most part.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You sound like a patriots fan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"I'm not complaining, I just can't loving understand or shut up about why we didn't go 19-0 and draft every great player always"

Meanwhile I'm just ecstatic I got to a championship parade in my lifetime

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dunno if this is the right thread but Carson Wentz got a hunting blind for his dog.

https://twitter.com/cj_wentz/status/817213709164642304

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

"I'm not complaining, I just can't loving understand or shut up about why we didn't go 19-0 and draft every great player always"

Well yeah but that's got nothing to do with looking back at the Superbowl team and talking about its strengths and weaknesses. Those are two separate deals.

I honestly feel sorry for people who think calling a bad offense bad is "too negative" :(

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm ecstatic that I live away from Cincinnati now and don't have to deal with anyone telling me to my face that This Is The Year

Watch some games, watch AJ Green highlight reels, and thank Christ I don't cheer for the 49ers

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Not sure how many teams' fans would rather cheer for the Bengals even if you don't include regional considerations

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chris James 2 posted:

God I'm still pissed about the hawks parade - I would've gone if a coworker covered my shift, but she had seniority and said she wanted to go, but then it was too cold so she stayed home. Lazy gently caress.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Cavauro posted:

Not sure how many teams' fans would rather cheer for the Bengals even if you don't include regional considerations

they're all missing out

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

got any sevens posted:

God I'm still pissed about the hawks parade - I would've gone if a coworker covered my shift, but she had seniority and said she wanted to go, but then it was too cold so she stayed home. Lazy gently caress.

It was okay, definitely super cold, it also started late so everyone was just freezing their asses off waiting for the duckboats

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I went to the rally for the Broncos after they won SB XXXIII when I was a freshman in college. :corsair: I ended up failing my physics exam the very next night but it was worth it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

Well yeah but that's got nothing to do with looking back at the Superbowl team and talking about its strengths and weaknesses. Those are two separate deals.

I honestly feel sorry for people who think calling a bad offense bad is "too negative" :(

Yeah that bad offense really held you guys back that year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I went to the rally for the Broncos after they won SB XXXIII when I was a freshman in college. :corsair: I ended up failing my physics exam the very next night but it was worth it.

I walked out of class and drove to the panthers rally in 2003 and didn't get in trouble because I went to south meck and that place was a war zone.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

Yeah that bad offense really held you guys back that year.

Again that's completely missing the point. The offense was bad. That's the whole point how we were able to win with just strong defense. And for most of the year not even a scoring defense like the Bucs could be in 2002. We just had to stonewall the other team the whole game if we could and get that one or two big offensive play a game and that was what we had. This was before the days of Ed Reed.

The offense had two standout games though--one where they won a shootout against the Jaguars in week 2 which was then the biggest win in franchise history. And also at Tennessee in the regular season where Dilfer turned in his best performance of the season against a defense that was about as good as ours. There were some other ok ones but against garbage teams like Cleveland. But those two games were where our offense actually carried us a bit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

Again that's completely missing the point. The offense was bad. That's the whole point how we were able to win with just strong defense. And for most of the year not even a scoring defense like the Bucs could be in 2002. We just had to stonewall the other team the whole game if we could and get that one or two big offensive play a game and that was what we had. This was before the days of Ed Reed.

The offense had two standout games though--one where they won a shootout against the Jaguars in week 2 which was then the biggest win in franchise history. And also at Tennessee in the regular season where Dilfer turned in his best performance of the season against a defense that was about as good as ours. There were some other ok ones but against garbage teams like Cleveland. But those two games were where our offense actually carried us a bit.

That sucks man. Wish you guys could have had more success that year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 and made the Pro Bowl in 2003 and almost every year after that

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 and made the Pro Bowl in 2003 and almost every year after that

I'm talking about the 2000 season.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

I'm talking about the 2000 season.

I understand not being happy with the current team, but why you feel the urge to complain about Dilfer and a team with one of the league's all-time great defenses that embarrassed everyone they played in the playoffs is beyond me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

And if they ever went 19-0, he'd complain about losing preseason games

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There is a difference between complaining and pointing out negative things that you wish had been different. Thje difference is this: *honks your nose, gently* now honk mine

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

The Ravens will never win another game again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cavauro posted:

There is a difference between complaining and pointing out negative things that you wish had been different. Thje difference is this: *honks your nose, gently* now honk mine

When you win a SB and all you talk about is the negative aspects of that team, you're just complaining.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TBeats posted:

When you win a SB and all you talk about is the negative aspects of that team, you're just complaining.

Man you're right. and another thing, I actually posted the exact definition of complaining and said it was different. I'm a fucken idiot

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TBeats posted:

That's not even what I'm doing. The flawed offense was a huge part of that team, hence the TD-less streak. It was a big deal at the time. Pointing it out isn't complaining but getting a real perspective of the team. To me that's fun. If it were just "yay we won" it would be boring and I wouldn't pay attention.

Tony Banks wasn't a good QB and Dilfer was worse. But we had to turn to Dilfer because Banks kept turning the ball over. So at that point we just had to hope he could not screw up, and he managed to do that for the most part.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 6, 2017

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

id like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the 2012 ravens wouldnt have made it to the superbowl if ray rice managed to run for 28 yards instead of 28.5 on 4th and 29. now who would like to feed some waterfowl with me. i have some extra Duck And Goose Blend style corn

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

id like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the 2012 ravens wouldnt have made it to the superbowl if ray rice managed to run for 28 yards instead of 28.5 on 4th and 29. now who would like to feed some waterfowl with me. i have some extra Duck And Goose Blend style corn

He actually was short. It was a bad call we just got lucky there.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

He actually was short. It was a bad call we just got lucky there.

nah, man. you cheated.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

That's not even what I'm doing. The flawed offense was a huge part of that team, hence the TD-less streak. It was a big deal at the time. Pointing it out isn't complaining but getting a real perspective of the team. To me that's fun. If it were just "yay we won" it would be boring and I wouldn't pay attention.

Everyone knows that, though. This is well-established. People readily acknowledge that Dilfer was one of the worst QBs, if not the worst, to ever win a Super Bowl, and he's become an enduring counter-example when talking about how rings define a QB's legacy. Rather than retread old arguments about the 2000 Ravens having a bad offense, or complaining that you didn't draft Gronk, why not direct your attention to present issues?

I think you're too hard on Harbaugh, for example, He's proven himself to be a more than capable coach, particularly given the talent around him. The 2012 Ravens' success was unsustainable for a number of reasons, which included Flacco's inconsistency as a Quarterback (and the subsequent contract he was given that ate a huge chunk of cap on a QB who is at best, above-average), the age of key players on the offense and defense (Reed, Lewis, Kemoeatu, Boldin, Birk, Suggs, Williams), and the "Super Bowl Effect" where the cost of retaining the players on the winning team skyrockets, preventing the team from re-signing dependable non-star roleplayers at reasonable prices following the win, and puts more pressure on the depth. So the more interesting question is: Did they win right as the window closed, or was there something the team could have done to extend it? (I'd argue the former more than the latter)

Part of the issue is that I feel like the Ravens, known for having an amazing front office, actually haven't done a great job evaluating and acquiring talent over the last 4 years. They've drafted just three pro bowlers since the 2010 draft, and one of those was Tyrod Taylor (the other two were Juszczyk and Mosley). Comparatively, Elam has been an injury-prone disappointment, Upshaw was incredibly underwhelming as a pass rusher, Perriman sat for a year with injury and hasn't been great this year, and the defense collapsed down the stretch this year. The Ravens have gotten a pass because of their team brand, but they need to start doing a better job of finding good talent or their whiffs are going to catch up with them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

TBeats posted:

That's exactly what Cavauro was saying

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

That's exactly what Cavauro was saying

Then it would seem I agree

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What the gently caress is wrong with the Bills (besides “everything”)?

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/817404620871991296

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Everyone knows that, though. This is well-established. People readily acknowledge that Dilfer was one of the worst QBs, if not the worst, to ever win a Super Bowl, and he's become an enduring counter-example when talking about how rings define a QB's legacy. Rather than retread old arguments about the 2000 Ravens having a bad offense, or complaining that you didn't draft Gronk, why not direct your attention to present issues?

The second part of your post I'll get to later, but I'd like to address this. I just like to reminisce and build my perspective on those teams. I just enjoy doing it. Whether it's this year's team or a team from like 20 years ago I just enjoy doing it. It's fun. It's not like talking about this team is going to fix things. Like the Ravens aren't going to read here and be like "Hmm this Kawalimus guy has a good grasp of the current team. I say we fire the coordinators every year and hire Shannon Sharpe as head coach for life and go back in time and not draft Matt Elam(seriously what were you idiots thinking?!)". The 2000 team was memorable for me for obvious reasons and they were also the first year I really got into football so that was a real special year for me. That 2000-2003 era was when I most closely followed football all around, so that is what had the biggest impression on me. I still follow it of course but don't pay as much attention to the rest of the league. So that's why I talk about those past teams. It's really not to complain or anything it's because that was a real fun time for me as a fan.

I remember right after we won it in my dad's car taking me to school and hearing something on sports talk radio(which I usually abhor) that stuck with me. One of the hosts said something along the lines of "This Superbowl run was great and we're all spoiled now from it so quick especially younger people. But cherish this time because these don't come often" so I've tried to do that and it's true. While we've won the Superbowl twice you can see other teams have never won it or not won in a long time. So I don't just forget about those teams and "focus on the present". I remember them because despite the struggles we had those ended up being great years since we won. So that's why I still talk about them today. And I never bash other fans for doing the same for their teams not even the Redskins fans.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 6, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

STOP.

I AM TRIGGERED

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

STOP.

I AM TRIGGERED

That play is one of the few things that I could maybe be convinced was some kind of conspiracy. But I mean still probably not. It was so clearly short! I don't get why it wasn't overturned.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Because John Pagano deserved it for coaching such horseshit tackling.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

STOP.

I AM TRIGGERED

i don't get it what's wrong with feeding ducks

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hiring Rob Ryan… a bad idea??

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817469637663268866

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

As a Saints fan, that checks out. Surprised you didn't get the usual year one Rob pop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Stop talking to Kawalimus he clearly has a mental disorder

Like a bad one

• Locked thread