Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Internet's been hosed, so I've been getting a lot of writing done! 18742/17k and I've beaten my goal, so I can coast for the rest of the month, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sunturday again!

1061 words left, about 500 has to go towards the textbook. This ends as soon as I get some sleep.

The first part of the fiction is launched. Still needs work, but is actually getting some fractional traffic. Which is amazing for 84 words. Part 1 is short, yeah. Part 2 going up tomorrow.

Good times!

EDIT: Textbook goal met! 550 words left on the rest, to be used as I please.
EDIT2: And now I'm done. -4 words left to be written! Technically I have done everything required. I still want to put up part 2 of the fiction, but maybe not today... :effort:

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 30, 2017

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
postin to say :rip:

im disgusted w myself like i feel gross n pathetic

blade me

e: in the interests of full disclosure i ended up w 30k. heres what i have

fascia:
crosswinds
the active high
cybele / the silence
the outsider
iv blood
blood cloud
a haunted eye
full draft

vampires a-z:
heartbeat metronome
gravity's unwell
prokaryote dreams
like children
hybrid fragment
tacticaliban
latent motes
'92s bare
chaos
medusa's bitches
anything in this universe
winter rising
steady chill
heart and ribcage
his heart runs black
spiderlegs
slept
full draft

violation 5: would it kill you to get the things i need?
psyche halo
the black hole of the sun
geneweaves
taint skips
the alt
haptic collapse
boy
a little too close
broken loom
ache
losing
ambrosia acid / different things
pale like his flesh
this bark
tableaux
wip

violation 6: kind people should never be treated like empty arms
verse 1: for good or worse
verse 2: so miscellaneous
verse 1: haptic slang
verse 2: flutter touch
verse 1: the same builders
verse 2: genic
verse 1: deep screed
verse 2: still fainting
verse 1: anyone's time
verse 2: friction's ground slave
verse 1: brighten
verse 2: tethering
verse 1, untitled
wip

phage (working title)
full draft

heres how my book is goin

a poem

im sry for this incredibly long and gay post. my life has hit some sort of epicenter and rn ig it needs me to make sure everything goes smooth because the alternative is more horrible fuckupery. when i get my poo poo back im gonna toxx for subs but maybe take a break or someth. lemme kno if any of these links dont work

*salutes w katana, opens body*

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

take the moon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 1, 2017

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
end of month tally:

6517 TD story words

2017 actual legitimate story words (ha ha get it)

21552 words of character notes, plot notes, side projects, non sequitur lines, and straight up scribbles of the damned. someone take a handful of JifTM brand peanut butter and paste it over my worthless mouth until I suffocate. auf wiedersehen.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I know we have another day left, but just so I don't forget, I have 20,057 words, well over my 17k target.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
For some reason I thought today was the 31st and I was skeptical I'd get the last of my words done. I will probably be screaming in here right at the deadline tomorrow, but dammit i'll get my stupid words done. It's been a hard month, but really, every month is a hard month for someone. gently caress anything that's not writing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

For some reason I thought today was the 31st and I was skeptical I'd get the last of my words done. I will probably be screaming in here right at the deadline tomorrow, but dammit i'll get my stupid words done. It's been a hard month, but really, every month is a hard month for someone. gently caress anything that's not writing.

:black101:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sitting Here posted:

I will probably be screaming in here right at the deadline tomorrow, but dammit i'll get my stupid words done.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Failed this miserably, call in the toxx ban.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I'm going to make it. Only got 2000 words left. I'll be back to post proof later tonight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm going to call them in tomorrow sometime, be aware it might take a while as we're experiencing a temporary lull in our usually superb mod service of banning fools and taking their money. Well done everyone who made it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would a link to the story work for the self-pub and the word counts per chapter for the writing? I'm not sure how high the bar is...

Link: https://antipode.space (only 4 parts published so far and the interface needs a whole bunch more work.)

I'm really proud of this one, believe it or not. Took a lot of work, not just on the writing front to get here. My own software to process text files into web pages, server machine setup, web server setup, domain setup, encryption setup, optimization for speed, the visual layout, the favicon, research about putting up ads (opted not to do that in the end), automated table of contents, etc... A very Gravitas story, actually. I expect it to be incomprehensible/unreadable to others, I just wrote it for myself. The main idea was to have it be a tech demo / prototype for the textbook. I learned a ton about creating a website, which was the idea! And hey, peanut butter cups! Kept me sane and provided an outlet for the textbook exhaustion, while keeping me on track with my writing every single day.

Counts since start of month:
Fiction: 10042
Textbook: 20568
Total: 30610

The actual count may very a bit. There are control codes inside the text files. Things like "start a table" or "this character is now speaking". Not exactly words, even though they are a critical part of the writing. This is offset by some things that the word count program undercounts, mainly in the textbook, where adjacent words often get counted as one due to a control code that slurs the two together. The actual count is probably anywhere between 29K to 32K. It isn't feasible to do an exact count and the count as given is what I intended when I :toxx:ed. This does not include any of the infrastructure, code, config files, etc... Just raw content is being counted.

Per chapter breakdown:

Textbook:
$ for file in *; do wc -w $file | cut -d" " -f1; done

Fiction:
$ for file in *; do wc -w $file | cut -d" " -f1; done

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 31, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
More than made it! Though I'm still deleting a ton of the garbage I wrote after this. It feels less like garbage and I wrote more words so yay I guess?

Oh well! Another month and there will be more words. At least it gives me something to do to stave off the crushing existential dread of existing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep that's fine for verifying.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Here's my word tracker. I'm pretty happy I made it even though it was by the skin of my teeth. Hopefully next month I'll be more consistent. I would be lying if I said the home stretch was easy and sadly I think I'm going to have to cut a few scenes on the re-write, but oh well 25k whoo. :toot:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Well, it was a slog this month...but I wrote some (not very good) words!

Started at 42, 618

Ended at 49,193

For a total of 6,575.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

I've got 5509 words worth of technical writing for the month, 3270 words worth of Thunderdome, and a frankly bullshit 1928 words on the long-form project that was my main aim for the month. Cleared my 8K, but next time I do this technical and tdome words don't count.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

These words... they are not good words... but at least they are.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Phew. 15K words done.

9893 novel words

4149 other project words

1200 Thunderdome words

https://thunderdome.cc/?story=5396&title=Dumb+Baby+Stuff

Total: 15242 words, give or take a couple. This month didn't represent as much forward progress as I'd like, since I had to hack and slash a lot of bad words from last month, but now I feel like I'm going in a workable direction again. Yay.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sham bam bamina!

Back in the saddle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gj all of youse I'm proud of u

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p