Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

I prefer this one

you can tell Rollins totally wants to be there

e: we had various of these framed on the wall in the hallways when I was in the PowerBook group at Apple in the 90s, that's where I first saw this one

whats wrong w/ his leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
have u never seen a tattoo before

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

that ad is from 1994. "the baggy 90s" was the decade of wearing sack-like clothes several sizes too big

clothes which are now snug because the 90s is also the decade when everyone started becoming fat

There was plenty of bad late eighties stuff left over in 1994.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

i googled it

it was tattoos

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

mid 90s is at fashion nadir right now.

just wait a few years and all the hipsters will be looking like the cast of Friends

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
eagerly awaiting the return of jncos and flame shirts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

eagerly awaiting the return of jncos and flame shirts

same except dressing like rocko from rocko's modern life

triangle shirt

no pants

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

triangle shirt

no pants

sounds good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

This is a huge long shot, but I remember a segment in one of those 90s era tech shows, possibly it was Beyond 2000, where some neck beard guy was going on about how he had created the worlds best OS for managing documents. What stuck out was that he was very critical of contemporary file managers and very arrogant about how his was obviously way better, but from what they showed of his it was just like a digital flip book of things sorted by date. I always wondered what happened to that guy, anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about ? I'm just curious if it turned out he was on the TempleOS scale of bad things by delusional people.

Oh god I hope it was Spectateswamp and his Something Something Desktop Search.

e: Oh it was called Spectate Swamp Desktop Search. :doh:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Progressive JPEG posted:

triangle shirt

no pants

F yeah

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
not going to pretend this wasnt a pos but i'll always have a soft spot for it

i'm astonished to learn that it has somehow survived as an incredibly niche open source project, apparently with activity as recent as 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hard to pin down whether GEM failed or not since it was never that successful, and also stayed just being sort-of kind-of successful for a long time. atari home computers failing was sort of the failure of truly common GEM use i guess, but it is not like TOS and GEM were compatible etc.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

i'm astonished to learn that it has somehow survived as an incredibly niche open source project, apparently with activity as recent as 2016

what's the open source project? I thought it was still commercial or something

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

what's the open source project? I thought it was still commercial or something

the screenshot i posted is of atari's last ditch attempt at making TOS relevant, MultiTOS, aka TOS with preemptive multitasking

it was actually built on top of eric smith's MiNT (=MiNT is Not TOS, or, after he got hired by atari, MiNT is Now TOS). this was an open source multitasking kernel that replaced the chunk of TOS roughly equivalent to MS-DOS with something a little nicer and more unix-y. according to this eric smith interview on the history of MiNT, the main reason he wrote MiNT was to make it easier to port programs from unix to atari, but it ended up becoming his job

when atari finally conceded to reality and canceled their personal computer produts, smith convinced management to open source the work he'd done on MiNT as an atari employee. that's what is still alive today, as FreeMiNT. on top of that base they've written XaAES, an open source replacement for AES, the GUI layer of TOS which atari never open sourced (because that was code licensed from DRI). (XaAES ain't AES)

so as far as i can tell from non-effortpost levels of searching, the atari community now has a fully open sourced TOS replacement stack and there are still people hacking on it

there were other (mostly european i think?) closed source partial or full clones. cloning TOS was/is relatively easy, tbh: the original AES/GEM API was pretty spartan, and the atari version of everything involved was a lot cleaner and easier to hack on than the ms-dos original (because 68K, flat address space, less legacy, less hardware to support, etc)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
reactos is somehow still a thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is like discovering those eastern european computer communities that still use heavily skinned/modded win 3.11

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apollo/DomainOS was 80s, like 3/4ths of the poo poo people are talking about here.

turns out that the final release of Apollo Domain/OS 10.4 was in 1992, so it’s 90s after all

I also just installed it in MAME 1.8.1, it’s an “interesting” system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

turns out that the final release of Apollo Domain/OS 10.4 was in 1992, so it’s 90s after all

the hp copyright dated 1992 didn't give that away?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I also just installed it in MAME 1.8.1, it’s an “interesting” system

oh wow that's cool

pls post more about this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

yeah i wanna know why mame of all things emulates apollo workstation hardware

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BobHoward posted:

similar hw for obsessive arcade-accurate emu devs. Was a separate project (MESS) for a while.

there's a retro computing thread in SHSC somewhere; mostly focused on Real Hardware.

FPGAs for ur amiga

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not 90s, but how's that xerox alto restoration project coming along?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

MESS was folded into MAME

the Apollo hardware and OS had a dedicated following, there was a partial emulator that was used to build the one in MESS/MAME since it had support for support chips etc. the partial one lacked

you can emulate other interesting stuff with MAME as well these days like a Sun 2 or 3 or even 1

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

Nope. Primary development was done in the eighties. It's an 80s OS.

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

infernal machines posted:

not 90s, but how's that xerox alto restoration project coming along?

the one at lcm in seattle is working and on display

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the Apollo hardware and OS had a dedicated following, there was a partial emulator that was used to build the one in MESS/MAME since it had support for support chips etc. the partial one lacked

you can emulate other interesting stuff with MAME as well these days like a Sun 2 or 3 or even 1

tme has you covered for all your sun2/sun3 emulation needs

it does a passable sun2 and sun3 emu that will definitely run sunos. (i'm not sure whether suntools or Xsun work though, never tried it)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BobHoward posted:

MINT is an OG open source project

someone decided to hack a posix layer onto TOS in ye olden days (1989) for compatibility with Unix software and released it for the ST and TT

Atari hired him on in 1990 and released it along with a multitasking TOS bolted on as MultiTOS

when Atari stopped making computers (1993) the guy was able to release as open source and it's collected modules (it uses RPM and people have been porting Debian packages) over the years, with active development to this day

e:FB

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

does that work yet? I haven't upgraded my mame in a while but the Sun emulation didn't work last I checked

BobHoward posted:

so as far as i can tell from non-effortpost levels of searching, the atari community now has a fully open sourced TOS replacement stack and there are still people hacking on it

there were other (mostly european i think?) closed source partial or full clones. cloning TOS was/is relatively easy, tbh: the original AES/GEM API was pretty spartan, and the atari version of everything involved was a lot cleaner and easier to hack on than the ms-dos original (because 68K, flat address space, less legacy, less hardware to support, etc)

I don't know if MINT runs on EmuTOS but yeah everything above the ROM is open sores these days.

GEM started life at DRI as a 68K port of CP/M until Atari was like "hey we kinda have a computer and no OS for it"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how about AMOS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tme has you covered for all your sun2/sun3 emulation needs

it does a passable sun2 and sun3 emu that will definitely run sunos. (i'm not sure whether suntools or Xsun work though, never tried it)

they do on both tme and MAME these days

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a real 80's pos is OASIS. it's such a pos that i can't even find pictures of it on the internet. it was for the Z80, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

how about AMOS

I prefer ANDY

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
There's no way to do Irix in any sort of virtual environment, right? Would be fun to play around with it some.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

trilljester posted:

There's no way to do Irix in any sort of virtual environment, right? Would be fun to play around with it some.

mame has non-working drivers for various SGI systems

there's some older MIPS emulators that are capable of booting Irix (I'm talking like 1999) but who knows how any of them work

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Luigi Thirty posted:

there's some older MIPS emulators that are capable of booting Irix (I'm talking like 1999) but who knows how any of them work

I'm thinking it's easier to track down an old SGI system and buy it off eBay or something.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

does that work yet? I haven't upgraded my mame in a while but the Sun emulation didn't work last I checked

use tme, i posted a link to it earlier

it is written by a netbsd developer who really, really wanted to port netbsd to his sun 2/120. it will run netbsd or sunos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

simos existed and would run irix, but you needed a patched irix kernel to make it work

trilljester posted:

I'm thinking it's easier to track down an old SGI system and buy it off eBay or something.

you would have better luck with a newer system. (newer is still pretty drat old, since they stopped selling them 10+ years ago)

it can be very difficult to track down install media for pre-6.5 irix

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

not any more, since some of the SGI systems from Akklaim were obtained and are now going up for auction as "might have cool stuff on them!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

akkklaim

• Locked thread