Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Now that Linda McMahon is in a cabinet position and WWE Hall of Famer is the literal President, Monday Night Raw should be placed in the tiny pantheon of ultra right-wing / fascist film like Triumph Of The Will

Never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8cK7EOSgw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Frankly Raw shouldn't be more than 1 hour.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Theres something kind of nice about a company brazenly displaying its disdain for its consumers. Its honest and I respect it.

The_Rob posted:

Yeah like I was saying it's infuriating and pisses me off as a fan, but at least they don't pretend to want anything but our money.

I'd be a lot more "impressed," at being actively disdainful of your own customer base as a sign of integrity and honesty if it wasn't such crap. All big corporations are inherently cowardly and that kind of talk is hot air just like hand-wringing is. They will do things to gently caress their customers for the sake of their bottom line, but whether they're trying to soothe our egos when they do it like Disney or EA does or if they talk big and pretend they don't give a gently caress and know better than we do like WWE does, at the end of the day its all a smokescreen to hide being wimps.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
They made that segment to piss you off and want to watch it for all the other crazy stuff they'll say. It's a show made to be controversial and it worked.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

They can do whatever they want because at the end of the day, they're still going to make a poo poo load of money. That video changes literally nothing and they know this. :)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Strawberry Panda posted:

They made that segment to piss you off and want to watch it for all the other crazy stuff they'll say. It's a show made to be controversial and it worked.

Well, it didn't work on me because I didn't watch the show and I probably never will. I only watch shows that make me happy or tell stories I like, which is why I stopped watching Raw related programming. If Smackdown hadn't become incredibly good after the brand split I wouldn't be subbed to their network right now.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Now that Linda McMahon is in a cabinet position and WWE Hall of Famer is the literal President, Monday Night Raw should be placed in the tiny pantheon of ultra right-wing / fascist film like Triumph Of The Will

Never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8cK7EOSgw

jesus, man, wayne newton is looking at vince's hairline in this vid and saying "that's loving ridiculous"

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Here's what I don't get about RAW, it's like they've completely forgotten how pro wrestling storylines are supposed to work, on any sort of level.

Like, I get it, we're building up Braun to be a destroyer of worlds. Fair enough. But given how Braun/Sami has gone...the 'pro wrestling 101' storyline goes: Braun is a destroyer of everything. No one thinks Sami can beat Braun, Sami proves he could last 10 minutes with Braun despite a vicious beating, then Sami wins the last man standing match because 'he has heart' or whatever. And then you send Braun on a 'Samoa Joe losing the NXT Title' rampage, and..now, Sami looks good, no one gives a gently caress that Braun lost, etc.

How have they forgotten this?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Martinpale posted:

Here's what I don't get about RAW, it's like they've completely forgotten how pro wrestling storylines are supposed to work, on any sort of level.

Like, I get it, we're building up Braun to be a destroyer of worlds. Fair enough. But given how Braun/Sami has gone...the 'pro wrestling 101' storyline goes: Braun is a destroyer of everything. No one thinks Sami can beat Braun, Sami proves he could last 10 minutes with Braun despite a vicious beating, then Sami wins the last man standing match because 'he has heart' or whatever. And then you send Braun on a 'Samoa Joe losing the NXT Title' rampage, and..now, Sami looks good, no one gives a gently caress that Braun lost, etc.

How have they forgotten this?

You say that but in the past WWE would always build a monster heel by having him destroy a popular upper to midcard face so it seems more impressive when the top face finally beats them. Sami was just unlucky enough to be in the Hacksaw Jim Duggan role. They are clearly building Braun as an unstoppable monster that will only be slayed by the Big Dog. If it doesn't happen at Wrestlemania then it will be whatever Raw PPV comes after that.
Yeah it sucks but it will never be as bad as how they had Mabel beat the Undertaker clean at King of the Ring '95 to build to a main event where he could lose to Kevin Nash at the following SummerSlam.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Holy loving poo poo, the profits you stand to make from the third hour has been diminishing returns for awhile now, if it isn't the literal third hour it's the first hour or the second. The product drags it's bloated carcass and people get tired they get bored. It's literally putting everything out there and in doing so it's overload and yet feels anemic due to now wanting to give EVERYTHING ample time or one segment way too much time and you find yourself STILL having to run over 10-15 minutes. You keep the show and storylines tight people will bitch that there isn't enough show. BUT they'll want more! And will keep coming back for it, and not skip a week or so because they're exhausted.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
WWE could print out a list of Network subscribers and personally insult each one for being stupid enough to give them money and it woukdn't hurt their bottom line. I imagine subscriptions would go up, if anything.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rovert posted:

The Divas title has aged well:

She looks like that weird youtuber that makes creepy gay vídeos for kids

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

There are probably so many wrestlers on tinder

*smashes the super like button*

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Dont watch the shoot show, Dont be Angry with the wwe, Dont give them money, hate watch Raw, and just enjoy SD until they gently caress up that show too, its not hard. Marks.- D.G

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Strawberry Panda posted:

seriously it's paul heyman and JBL, please stop working yourselves into a shoot brothers

Solus posted:

There are probably so many wrestlers on tinder

*smashes the super like button*

I bet Braun Strowman is a v. tender lover

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Someone mentioned the Rock/Stone Cold staredown from 2001...

https://gfycat.com/TautPoliticalGrouper

When was the last time a staredown had that impact? Shield/Wyatts?

As for Bring It To The Table, it's Vince's company and as long as it makes money, he can keep doing what he's doing. It's just frustrating that if he'd listen to the fans, even JUST a little bit, he'd make more money. He shouldn't give into the fandom 100%, but maybe going "hey, the crowd is cheering for THIS guy, let's push him a little bit" as opposed to "the fans aren't cheering MY guy, who can we feed to him..."

It's like Punk said, Vince would rather make a nickel his way then a dime someone else's way.

Now, I say all this and then consider that there's a chance that we just might get Goldberg winning the Rumble, Roman winning the Universal title, and getting a Wrestlemania main event of Reigns/Goldberg. What would get more mainstream buys and attention? A fandom main event of AJ Styles vs. John Cena, or a Vince main event of Roman Reigns vs. Goldberg?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorGonzo posted:

The best staredown will always be Austin-Rock at the 2001 RR.

It was seriously so great, I forget who broke it up but seeing the two of them rise up and face off from opposite corners was so great.

I still can't quite believe we got two guys as incredible as Austin and Rock at almost exactly the same time.

Edit: Awww yeah there it is:

CobiWann posted:

Someone mentioned the Rock/Stone Cold staredown from 2001...

https://gfycat.com/TautPoliticalGrouper

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fandom being the driving force behind product development has created an awful pop culture over these past years.

So has WWE not listening to the fans.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Holy poo poo they actually hate their fans. This is incredible.

What to me is more incredible is that WWE uploaded only one clip from that show, and it's that. Like holy poo poo, you really want to showcase Paul Heyman representing WWE yelling at a fan to stop giving his opinion on what he wants?

Also, someone earlier said there was no heat for the Roman-Goldberg staredown. Watching the youtube clip it seems to have reasonable heat initially, did they mess with the audio, or is this the standard nobody being willing to admit anything good about Roman.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The problem with the product isn't a third hour of Raw. It's that the booking is controlled by a senile old man who absolutely refuses to acknowledge a crowd or fans or common sense or, quite frankly, anything that isn't his own stupid idea. The product was dogshit at two hours. The only difference now is that it's not as concealable at three hours. They have an incredible roster filled with a wealth of talented people. And while I agree that three hours is overkill, it wouldn't be even half as bad as it is now if it were competently produced.

Vince McMahon is the problem. Whether the show is one hour or two hours or three hours or whatever, as long as Vince exists, the problems will exist and decreasing the length of the show won't make it good. It only serves to make the suffering less.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wazzu posted:

What to me is more incredible is that WWE uploaded only one clip from that show, and it's that. Like holy poo poo, you really want to showcase Paul Heyman representing WWE yelling at a fan to stop giving his opinion on what he wants?

Also, someone earlier said there was no heat for the Roman-Goldberg staredown. Watching the youtube clip it seems to have reasonable heat initially, did they mess with the audio, or is this the standard nobody being willing to admit anything good about Roman.

i hate watch raw so i couldnt tell you.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

i hate watch raw so i couldnt tell you.

You say you hate watch WWE Raw and have it on in the background but in reality you watch WWE Raw and post about it and you're embarrassed about this.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RacistGuidingLight posted:

You say you hate watch WWE Raw and have it on in the background but in reality you watch WWE Raw and post about it and you're embarrassed about this.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I watch Raw, but I want to make it clear that I only watch it through binoculars when my neighbor 4 doors down has his blinds open

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

I watch Raw, but I want to make it clear that I only watch it through binoculars when my neighbor 4 doors down has his blinds open

yeah, im sure you are ONLY watching raw. Cheeky.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

3 hours wouldn't feel like three hours if they made a compelling product the problem is they have all this time and do so very little with it.

It's not going to change anytime soon.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem with raw is that they dont want to put a good product and that will not change anytime soon. My only hope at this point is that they dont revenge gently caress SD.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Strawberry Panda posted:

I was kind of interested in a show with JBL and Heyman yelling at each other on the opposite sides of issues, and thought I might check the show out this morning. But if they're both just going to be mouthpieces for Vince's views, I really couldn't care less. I get enough of Vince's viewpoint in however many of the loving 6 hours of WWE programming that I can stomach weekly.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Raw sucks, Roman sucks

But Wrestle Kingdom 11 is tomorrow so I'm happy

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what's the difference between Stephanie McMahon as an authority figure and Dario Cuerto as an authority figure? Why do fans loathe one and like the other?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i had RAW on while i played games so i didnt post in the thread. RAW was bad

maybe it would have been better if i posted in the GDT during it, but i didn't, and it was bad

BRAUN is still fun though

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

CobiWann posted:

So what's the difference between Stephanie McMahon as an authority figure and Dario Cuerto as an authority figure? Why do fans loathe one and like the other?

-Stephanie blurs the lines of reality constantly (I'm the evil boss! Also, WWE is proud of its charitable endeavours which I am the spokeperson for!), Dario is a character in a show
-Dario is a professional actor who is entertaining in his role, Stephanie was chosen because she's the boss's daughter
-Dario is evolving as a character over time, with meaningful things happening to him and because of him. Stephanie is the same.
-Dario does not randomly emasculate the wrestlers in extended circumstances just because he can. He does a good job of balancing being in charge, being threatened, and threatening violence (through others).
-Dario hasn't been around for 16 years (and associated stalenss)
-Dario is not presented as the best wrestler on the roster (Stephanie beat Nikki Bella in her last match, and is a former Women's champion)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Dario Cueto is fun and Stephanie McMahon exists to tell the fans why the company is smarter than them and emasculate wrestlers.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Quoting this.

Edit: make this the hover-text for Rowdy Ringsports.

Dilbert Fanclub President fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CobiWann posted:

For me, it comes down to the key difference, that Cueto is cool and good, while Stephanie is a trashbaby idiot

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dromal phrenia posted:

i had RAW on while i played games so i didnt post in the thread. RAW was bad

maybe it would have been better if i posted in the GDT during it, but i didn't, and it was bad

BRAUN is still fun though

i missed you Alexa friend.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lol at all the people hatewatching raw. Just don't watch it and skip right to shitposting in this thread about WWE.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Goldberg/Reigns staredown non-reaction was almost as fun as Orton/Cena facing off during a Rumble to absolute silence.

Goldberg loving owns, it takes talent to throw a wet blanket on his charisma. Roman Reigns is up to the task and is really bad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dario has actually regularly received comeuppance for his actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

Just don't watch it and skip right to shitposting in this thread about WWE.

Like half the people that post in this thread do this already though

• Locked thread