Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The 115th Congress of the United States will be sworn in later today, and we don't currently have a thread for general discussion of the bullshit about to be rammed down our throats. So here is one.

We already have a few antics going on before the swearing-in. For one, Paul Ryan has halted a push by GOP lawmakers to restore earmarks.

quote:

Speaker Paul Ryan suddenly halted a proposal to restore congressional earmarks when it looked likely that the House Republican Conference would signal its support for the plan during a closed-door vote Wednesday, according to sources in the room.

The Wisconsin Republican stepped in and urged lawmakers not to decide on the matter at this time, arguing that Donald Trump had just won the presidential election on a pledge to “drain the swamp” of Washington. Ryan said it was improper for lawmakers to reinstitute earmarks in a secret-ballot election, the sources said.

Also, in a bit of mustache-twirling villainy, Republicans have signalled their intent to strip the independence from the Congressional Ethics Office and bring it under the oversight of the House's own Ethics Committee, which will of course be controlled by Republicans.

quote:

The House Republican Conference voted Monday night to approve a change to House rules to weaken the independence of the Office of Congressional Ethics and place it under the jurisdiction of the House Ethics Committee — a panel controlled by party leaders.

It will be part of a broader House Rules package voted on by the full body on Tuesday, after the 115th Congress officially convenes and the House elects a speaker.

It's a move that is already causing a backlash among Democrats, who say it's hypocritical given that President-elect Donald Trump was elected vowing to "drain the swamp" in Washington.

We may not have USPOL anymore, but remember, now more than ever: drink responsibly! Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
It must suck to be Paul Ryan. He didn't even want this job.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
He's probably one of the top 10 most powerful people in the country right now so it probably kinda owns to be Paul Ryan actually.

It's being the rest of us that's going to suck.

This ethics thing is super loving blatant, I hope it gets more coverage.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Like, in theory I guess, but his party is trying to return earmarks and rework House ethics rules without his approval. He doesn't really lead them. Meanwhile, even if he can lead them all he is leading them to is the Trump agenda which has a high chance of eventually sinking his greater political ambitions by linking him too closely to Trump after this all goes bad. Or the party could just turn on him like Boehner for not being extreme enough.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The earmarks thing is interesting though - I've heard Harry Reid and David Axelrod argue for their return as well; that the bartering system it created helped pass laws because there was value in passing them for the local constituency, whereas now the bigger value is in ideology and politics.

Not sure if I'd vote to reinstate, but it is worth considering?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah honestly I'm in favor of earmarks coming back. They worked. Stuff got done.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They changed their minds about the ethics thing because Trump tweeted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's right, Donald Trump is holding his own party accountable on matters of ethics lmao.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We're all doomed.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Just watch Trump Make America Great Again.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ryan and Trump: cat herding

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It must suck to be Paul Ryan. He didn't even want this job.

Yes he did. He just pretended not to so he could fail with no consequences.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Hail Satan

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's right, Donald Trump is holding his own party accountable on matters of ethics lmao.

This is the most bizarre poo poo.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

FactsAreUseless posted:

I had to find a collaborating source on this because it seemed too outlandish to be true. Man we live in interesting times.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FactsAreUseless posted:

He said that they shouldn't be doing anything with ethics until they finish eviscerating the social safety net

He understands that with all the stories of babies dying from preventable diseases and lack of access to basic healthcare, we won't notice the ethics story in May 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Devor posted:

He said that they shouldn't be doing anything with ethics until they finish eviscerating the social safety net

He understands that with all the stories of babies dying from preventable diseases and lack of access to basic healthcare, we won't notice the ethics story in May 2017
Hence the lmao.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pendragon posted:

I had to find a collaborating source on this because it seemed too outlandish to be true. Man we live in interesting times.
Corroborating source. A collaborating source is when Russian hackers send you information on your enemies.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

FactsAreUseless posted:

Corroborating source. A collaborating source is when Russian hackers send you information on your enemies.

I learned something today!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pendragon posted:

I learned something today!

Well done, Ralph.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Why can't ACA repeal be filibustered?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ogmius815 posted:

Why can't ACA repeal be filibustered?

They can do ACA repeal via their once-per-session (or year, I forget) budget reconciliation, which can only involve financial affairs but also can't be filibustered.

Or just abolish the filibuster lol (though I wouldn't bet on this happening right away).

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Because they are passing it through the reconciliation process that only needs 50 votes rather then the supermajority needed to overcome a filibusterer

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zikan posted:

Because they are passing it through the reconciliation process that only needs 50 votes rather then the supermajority needed to overcome a filibusterer

Which, amusingly enough, is how it was passed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
gently caress it, strap yourselves in,

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Which, amusingly enough, is how it was passed.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword die screaming from a preventable disease while medical bills drive their family bankrupt.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Nice to see Republicans starting on the the right foot. And here I was worried the NC GOP coupe was going to become a trend. :bang:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pendragon posted:

It's true that he tweeted about it. It doesn't mean that that's why they cancelled the vote, that's just how it's being reported. There was a huge, bipartisan stink about it so there are a dozen other likely reasons, but "TRUMP SHUTS DOWN HOUSE VOTE ON ETHICS COMMITTEE" is a better headline, whether it's true or not.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thank god ObamaCare is being repealed. I cant rent an apartment because it coats me 400/m for healrh care. I dont even go to the doctor.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

LeoMarr posted:

Thank god ObamaCare is being repealed. I cant rent an apartment because it coats me 400/m for healrh care. I dont even go to the doctor.

It will still be mandatory to have insurance, but it'll be even more expensive and cover less, is my bet.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Keep the individual mandate, get rid of the protections for people with preexisting conditions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Keep the individual mandate, get rid of the protections for people with preexisting conditions.

Trump's campaign proposal was the opposite of that, actually. :v:

Also turn subsidies from tax credits to tax deductions, and allow free import of foreign pharmaceuticals.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's true that he tweeted about it. It doesn't mean that that's why they cancelled the vote, that's just how it's being reported. There was a huge, bipartisan stink about it so there are a dozen other likely reasons, but "TRUMP SHUTS DOWN HOUSE VOTE ON ETHICS COMMITTEE" is a better headline, whether it's true or not.

There were many reasons, one of which was Trump's disapproval. Trying to tease out which was the "actual" reason is silly because things happen for a multitude of factors. Nobody but the people at top are going to know what the order of importance actually was but I'm guessing the head of your party shouting at you has a pretty big effect on its own, never-mind the knock on effect of his tweets leading to more people calling up and yelling at their congressman.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Trump's campaign proposal was the opposite of that, actually. :v:

Also turn subsidies from tax credits to tax deductions, and allow free import of foreign pharmaceuticals.

He's also consistently said that everyone should be covered, even those who cannot pay.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LeoMarr posted:

Is this ironic, or do you genuinely believe your healthcare costs will go down as a result of repealing Obamacare?

If you don't want to pay for healthcare at all, why wouldn't you pay the tax penalty instead? That would save you $340 a month until you actually get sick.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also allow free import of foreign pharmaceuticals.

all this does is decrease the leverage of countries that aren't the US to enact price controls on medication

the real solution is just to negotiate prices on medication at the government level, like all of those countries with cheaper pharmaceuticals are doing in the first place

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

At least one person recognizes how ridiculous this all is. This kid is my new hero.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

He's also consistently said that everyone should be covered, even those who cannot pay.

Yeah, that's super gonna happen.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

115 was a pretty good run. Here's hoping the next version of Earth sapients beat our record after the planet cools off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zikan posted:

So this is basically their one and done essentially, right? Everything else horrific they want to try, Democrats can stop them?

And don't give me the sad sack "Oh dems won't cause they are weak/secretly republicans/stupid", I'm asking if this is essentially the only blank check measure they get?

• Locked thread