Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for 2016?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 99 68.28%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 1.38%
:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Woman's Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 1 0.69%
Dean Ambrose (WWE Champion) 2 1.38%
:scotland: Drew Galloway (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.69%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.69%
:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) 9 6.21%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 2 1.38%
:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 1 0.69%
:geno: Jimmy Susumu (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): 0 0%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 3 2.07%
:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) 0 0%
Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) 0 0%
:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 6 4.14%
Sasha Banks (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:abuela: Sexy Star (Lucha Underground Champion) 1 0.69%
:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 1.38%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 11 7.59%
:words: Triple H (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.76%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) 0 0%
:thesperg: None of the Above (Please Specify) 0 0%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's January of 2017, so it is time to decide who Rowdy Ringsports' Champion for all of 2016 was. Each month we've voted for our champion of the month, and below are the results of each month's voting from January through December - click each month to see the final vote countdown.

To be eligible for voting in this final year poll, a wrestler need simply have been the top champion for their promotion at some time during the year of 2016 (January 1st to December 31st). Sadly there are only 25 spaces to fit into the poll, and even only taking into account those Champions who were options each month there were far more than that. As a result, I've had to prune pretty aggressively to keep the options within the poll's limits, but I've allowed a None of the Above option to hopefully take that into account. Champions pruned out as a result of low percentage of votes/shortness of title reign, status of belt/promotion etc include: Adam Cole, Asuka, Bayley, Bobby Lashley, Ethan Carter III, Fenix, Finn Balor, Kenny Omega, Matt Hardy, Roderick Strong, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Shinsuke Nakamura. In an ideal world, all of these people would have been included, but there simply wasn't the space.

The poll will run for 5 days exactly, at the end of which there will be (hopefully!) a clear winner for Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion of Champions for the year 2016. In 2006 the winner was Bryan Danielson, in 2007 Edge and Morishima shared the win, in 2008 Jericho was the clear choice for winner and 2009 was one long Summer of Punk. 2010 was the Year of The Miz (seriously!) and 2011 AND 2012 saw CM Punk return to the top spot, becoming a 3 time Champ of the Year as well as winning two consecutive years. Okada dominated 2013 and the monthly polls in a way like nobody has ever done before, and in 2014 AJ Styles' career resurgence since leaving TNA was rewarded with the Champ of the Year decision. 2015 saw the first even Woman Champion of the Year in Bayley, even more impressive since NXT wasn't included as an option on any monthly polls (and still isn't!). This year was split roughly in half, with the first half of the year shutting out WWE entirely before the back half was all WWE and mostly AJ Styles who is arguably the favorite to become a two-time Champion of the Year, a feat only matched (and beaten) by CM Punk.

Below are the eligible Champions, if a particular champion does not feature on this list, it is because there is a 25 option limit on polls and I simply couldn't fit them all in - sorry! To avoid any potential bias, I've listed the wrestlers in alphabetical order and simply included a list of their title defenses. Feel free to argue or promote the case of your favorite wrestler as you see fit. Remember if you vote None of the Above, specify WHO is your actual choice in the poll and maybe they could still win anyway!

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - Defeated Dean Ambrose, John Cena, James Ellsworth, Dolph Ziggler & Baron Corbin. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Defeated Becky Lynch. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Woman's Champion) - Defeated Alexa Bliss, Carmella, Naomi, Natalya & Nikki Bella. Lost title to Alexa Bliss in a Tables match.

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Defeated Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks, Natalya & Paige. Lost title to Sasha Banks. Defeated Sasha Banks to win title. Defeated Sasha Banks and Bayley. Lost title to Sasha Banks. Defeated Sasha Banks in Hell in a Cell to win title. Lost title to Sasha Banks in Falls Count Anywhere Match. Defeated Sasha Banks in Iron Man match to win the title. Ended 2016 as Champion.

Dean Ambrose (WWE Champion) - Defeated Seth Rollins by cashing in Money in the Bank briefcase to win title. Defeated Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns and Dolph Ziggler. Lost title to AJ Styles.

:scotland: Drew Galloway (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Matt Hardy to win title. Defeated Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Tyrus, Eddie Denis, Jack Jester, Eddie Ryan, Eli Drake & Bobby Lashley. Defeated by Bobby Lashley in a Knockout or Tapout match.

:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Lashley to win title. Defeated Cody, Lashley, Eli Drake, Ashton Smith, Bubblegum & Dan Moloney. Drew match with ECIII, two no-contests with Bobby Lashley. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) - Began 2016 as Champion. Defeated Kairi Hojo, Viper, The Alpha Female, Mayu Iwatani, Kasey Owens, Kay Lee Ray, Yoko Bito, Taya Valkyrie & Mayu Iwatani. Ended 2016 as Champion.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Big Cass, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins to win vacant title. Defeated Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Adam Cole to win title in No Disqualification match. Ended 2016 as Champion.

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Entered 2016 as Champion. Defeated Michael Elgin, Tomoaki Honma, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Hirooki Goto, Matt Sydal, Lance Storm, Lio Rush, Cheeseburger, Shady Nattrass, Mark Andrews, Joe Coffey, Vinny Marseglia, Noam Dar, Jay Briscoe, Colt Cabana & Satoshi Kojima. Defeated by Adam Cole.

:geno: Jimmy Susumu (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Defeated Shingo Takagi to win title. Defeated by Shingo Takagi.

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): - Defeated Sexy Star to win title. Defeated Sexy Star in cage rematch. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Entered 2016 as Champion. Defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi in incredible match at Wrestle Kingdom 10. Defeated Hirooki Goto. Lost title to Tetsuya Naito. Defeated Tetsuya Naito to regain title, defeated Naomichi Marufuji. Ended 2016 as Champion.

:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) - Won title in Aztec Warfare. Defeated Pentagon Jr, Fenix, Mil Muertes, Cage, Pentagon Dark, Son of Havoc, Prince Puma, Killshot & Cortez Castro. Pinned by Rey Mysterio in Aztec Warfare to vacate title.

Mil Muertes (Lucha Underground Champion) - Entered 2016 as Champion. Defeated Ivelisse, Pentagon Jr and Prince Puma. Defeated by Fenix to lose title.

:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Entered 2016 as Champion. Defeated Sheamus with Vince McMahon as Special Referee. Lost title in Royal Rumble match. Defeated Triple H at Wrestlemania to regain title. Defeated AJ Styles. Defeated by Seth Rollins at Money in the Bank PPV.

Sasha Banks (WWE Women's Champion) - Defeated Charlotte to win title. Lost title to Charlotte. Defeated Charlotte to win title. Lost title to Charlotte in Hell in a Cell match. Defeated Charlotte in Falls Count Anywhere match. Lost title to Charlotte in Iron Man match by tapping out with 2 seconds left in the match and then again during extra time.

:abuela: Sexy Star (Lucha Underground Champion) - Won vacant title in Aztec Warfare. Lost title to Johnny Mundo.

:smithmouth: Shingo Takagi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Entered 2016 as Champion. Lost title to Jimmy Susumu. Defeated Jimmy Susumu to regain title. Defeated Ryo Jimmy Saito, lost title to YAMATO.

:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Kazuchika Okada to win title Defeated Tomohiro Ishii, lost title to Kazuchika Okada.

:words: Triple H (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Won vacant title in Royal Rumble match. Defeated Dean Ambrose. Lost title to Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania 32.

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Defeated Shingo Takagi to win title Defeated Akira Tozawa and Naruki Doi. Ends 2016 as Champion.

:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) - Defeated Roderick Strong to win title. Defeated Kyle O'Reilly and Marty Scurll. Ends 2016 as Champion.

:thesperg: None of the Above (Please Specify) - If you feel some other Champion than those listed is more deserving of being Champion of the Year, please vote this option and post your specific choice (and maybe make an argument for why). If enough people vote for your specific choice it's entirely possible they could be Champ of the Year instead. Please try to only pick the actual top champions of an actual promotion (though I will accept nominations for NXT men and women Champions) as I'll lump any joke or "invalid" choices into the "other" breakdown of votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting for my man A.J Styles.

ALEXA should have won Dicember, fuckfaces.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

alexa didnt do poo poo in december while AJ had The Saga of James Ellsworth you dumb-dumb

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The fact that I am the first person to vote for Sexy Star shows me that none of you are taking this seriously

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

alexa didnt do poo poo in december while AJ had The Saga of James Ellsworth you dumb-dumb

Year and Sasha and KO díd so much!!!!

Fuccboi

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think AJ wins mostly because he was able to get a World Championship reign in under a year in a company that usually hates small southern accented men.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Year and Sasha and KO díd so much!!!!

Fuccboi

did you miss my posts saying how those two retards didnt deserve those wins???? stupid rear end!!!!!!

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAozjbt1XE8

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
all hail mr selfish shingo takagi.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Gotta give it to the Champ who runs the Camp.

Naito owns though and should have had a longer reign.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

A

J

STYLES

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

My last time to vote for Jay Lethal :saddowns:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The king of kings, bitch

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
voted for okada since I love him and AJ Styles is gonna crush it anyways

also where can I put money on DoctorGonzo saying he wants to live in Alexa's rear end before wrestlemania because that seems like a really good bet to me

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

a company that usually hates small southern accented men.

Same

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Outside of the Dolph stuff Amrose' reign is the one that felt most exciting to me. That said 2016 is AJ Styles' year and I really have to give him the vote

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Voted for AJ but I'd like to give an honorable mention to The Miz for making the IC title feel like it's actually worth something again.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Voted AJ but was very tempted by Naito. Wish chris hero was on the ballot.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ParanoidInc posted:

voted for okada since I love him and AJ Styles is gonna crush it anyways

also where can I put money on DoctorGonzo saying he wants to live in Alexa's rear end before wrestlemania because that seems like a really good bet to me

THATS NOT VERY NICE, HOW DARE YOU!

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The champ that runs the camp

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
its all about the game and how you play it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If I had any confidence that this would be the last year that HHH would hold a WWE title I'd vote for him but nah, it's pretty inarguably AJ's year. All due respect to Sexy Star.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I really wanted Dean's title reign to be better, but they really cut him off at the knees by doing his title run way too late. This was Dean's year for the WM main event, and instead we got a lovely finish to a lovely PPV. The Roadblock match with Triple H would have been a much better main event.

AJ has taken the ball and ran with it, and is proof that maybe a heel champion who is also good at wrestling while champion is a good idea for WWE????

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

Voted AJ but was very tempted by Naito. Wish chris hero was on the ballot.

Fuckin' A :hf:

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I should have voted for Triple H

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was tempted to throw a pity vote for my main man Johnny Mundo but yeah, this is AJ's year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do wish Naito had gotten a longer run. As much as I love Okada (who doesn't!) it was a real breath of fresh air when Naito won the belt.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LOS

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

2017 will be Naito's year. We're gonna get Naito/Omega II and it will be amazing. Mark it down.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Jay Lethal had a hell of a year

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
voting for the former indy standout who toiled away in the independents for years, who nobody would think would get a top title run in his promotion, undersized but full of heart

Eddie Edwards

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

voted dean ambrose, because he's my favorite shield guy that i never thought they'd take seriously, won the belt in awesome fashion, has been the top babyface of the A Show, and he caused foochs to say "HOLD MY DICK"

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was pretty sure AJ Styles was going to be the consensus vote winner and I seem to be correct. He's had a loving incredible year and is head and shoulders above the others.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voting AJ Styles because all the cool kids are dong it.

Also because he is arguably the best in the world, has beaten up John Cena, and has had a long, fun, and title elevating run with the belt.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sorry everyone else, loads of good champs but AJ Styles is just the best in the entire loving world.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I voted for Io Shirai because she is good and deserves my vote.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
How do I vote for matt hardy

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Stanfield posted:

I voted for Io Shirai because she is good and deserves my vote.

:same:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hace posted:

How do I vote for matt hardy

Hardy was dropped off the poll because he had such low percentages in the months he was champion, and I had to prune some people to fit within the poll's limits. I was actually pretty happy about that since I figure most people who would vote for him in this poll would be doing it for his Broken Matt Hardy character which occurred AFTER he had lost the title.

That said, if you really think his time as Champion in early 2016 was the best stuff you saw all year, vote None of the Above and post in the thread that your none of the above vote was for Matt Hardy (and not Broken Matt Hardy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I voted Naito because Naito is cool and champion of my heart

• Locked thread