Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dude, Where's My Car (2000): D
God help me, but I sat through this entire stupid, brainless loving movie, and it amazes me that anyone could have ever found any of this funny. Part of the problem might be that I'm watching as a 40 year old; not a dumbass teen who thinks "clever" puns about smoking weed are hilarious. On the other hand, none of this is anything we haven't seen many times before, and usually done a lot more entertainingly (e.g: Cheech and Chong; Spicoli, etc). The Conker's Bad Fur Day-esque plot was slightly interesting just to see where it would go (oh look, there's Brent Spiner!), but Conker is funnier and better written. There was a single fairly good joke in the whole thing: an "it's like being in a country music video" quip when Kelso and Stiffler were walking in the "space nerds'" barn. The rest was Not Good.

Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection (1990): D
Over the course of this film, the US a) puts boots on the ground in a sovereign Central or South American country to save the life of a handful of narcs, b) commits 'regime change' against the leader of said country, and c) lays waste to a Native village that is used as a playground for a firefight. Shouldn't be surprising given Norris' regressive politics, but this moment in history was an awkward time to watch a movie that took such obvious delight in bellicose American imperialism.

Besides that, the movie is a cheesy cliche fest whose plot reminds me most strongly of License To Kill. You have a charismatic villain that the movie reminds us at every turn is eeeevil. You have the "hero" entering a sovereign country to get him, you have a woman victimized by the villain, and you have plenty of eye rolling one liners from the hero. I didn't think it was all that terrible until the sequences in "San Carlos", when the politics of the movie and cheesiness of the fights became a bit too much to tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steve Yun posted:

One of the things my screenwriting professor said that stuck with me is that you can’t help but reveal your worldview in your writing.

Although she never said it, I would think that lack of a position would also be revealed in your writing

(Or it could be an intentional avoidance of stating a position despite having one)

Oh for sure, and also, I think a lot of people don't actually identify their perception of normalcy as having ideological content.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The movie (and director) do have a clear "this side is fascist and thats bad" position, but also walks enough of a tight rope to not piss off either side that it makes it entirely irrelevant to the film.

https://x.com/kermodeandmayo/status/1778772594038108226

I find his "the president is clearly depicted as a fascist" line to be more than a little eye raising. The movie also opens with a suicide bomber blowing up a water truck where protestors are clashing with police, murdering the cops and fellow citizens for ??? reasons

Also, there are lines that are deliberately vague like "your iconic photo of the Antifa massacre" that could be read in two ways. Garland is trying to have his cake and eat it to and that's honestly more annoying than if it were truly apolitical and just trying to tell a story about conflict journalists.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are two literal Nazis in the special thanks for the movie

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, that too. Garland is a toothless coward even if he tries to claim his movie is sending a clear message (which it utterly fails to do)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Now I'm questioning whether any of his movies had a clear message. Or if he just enjoys flirting with controversial topics and powerful imagery.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh hey, I'm watching movies again.

The Craft (1996, Andrew Fleming) [digital] 3/5
Late Night with the Devil (2023, Cameron Cairnes/Colin Cairnes) [theatrical] 3.5/5
Ingagi (1930, don't care) [Blu-ray] 1/5
Girl Gang (1954, also don't care) [Blu-ray] 2/5
Wonka (2023, Paul King) [Max] 4/5
The House Bunny (2008, don't care) [digital] 2/5
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024, Adam Wingard) [theatrical] 3.5/5
Bring It On (2000, Peyton Reed) [digital] 3/5
The Blonde Pick-up/Racket Girls (1951) [Blu-ray] 1.5/5
Clifford (1994, Paul Flaherty) [theatrical] 1.5/5
Dante's Inferno (1911) [Blu-ray] 2.5/5
Dance, Girl, Dance (1940, Dorothy Arzner) [Blu-ray] 3.5/5
High Sierra (1940, Raoul Walsh) [Blu-ray] 4/5
90 Degrees in the Shade (1965, Jiri Weiss) [Blu-ray] 3.5/5

I'm honestly shocked by how good and fun Wonka is. It's like a love letter to golden age Disney live-action musicals.

I can't believe I saw Clifford in a theater before a single Hitchcock film.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

The entire time, all I could think about was how Children of Men did everything this movie wants to do 100x better 20 years ago.

Man I loving hated that movie, so now I'm curious if I'll hate Civil War more,.or appreciate the differences.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

After watching Civil War my hot take is that it was pretty good and will probably stick with me for a bit. People will also probably argue about it all year.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Revenge of the Ninja (1983): B
Someone on imdb said it pretty succinctly: "Hokum, but enjoyable hokum". This movie is ridiculous as hell, with a convoluted plot (something about smuggling heroin into or out of the country using traditional Japanese dolls?), ethnic stereotypes (stock Italian "goombas" and even a Native American wielding a bowie knife and axes), lots of gratuitous fights, and a B-movie production. But it was a far more entertaining time than either Dude, Where's My Car? or Delta Force 2 (though the latter wasn't too bad). I would watch this again in a heartbeat.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

the Zone of Interest 2023

So I saw this on HBO/Max the other day and was a little, I don't know, confused by the blurb because I wasn't clear on the premise. I thought it was going to be some weird take on "good Nazis" or something so I wasn't actually going to watch it, however, last night I started it (figuring I'd watch some and get an idea of what it was like, go to bed and see the rest today if it held my interest). Instead I stayed up until 3 am to finish it because I was enthralled. Unexpectedly great, really fine performances.

This movie is incredibly powerful and moving. 10/10

...as an aside, I'm in a FB group of globe collectors and someone recently picked one up from Germany around this same time that actually has a "zone of interest" on it and that was the first time I'd ever heard the term, other than this movie. It's actually part of the reason I watched it, when I saw this before I assumed it was just the title they went with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some of the best sound design of all time. Incredibly effective concept executed perfectly.