Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Even if you accept the possibility that it might mainly be a metaphor the movie does a poor job of building suspense along those lines.

It gives away too much too early. The lingering shots in the basement, the references to optics — one the first hints that anything is out of the ordinary, the knife moving on its own and the kitchen fire, can’t really be explained away without the presence of an invisible man.

The title is important not just because of the literal words, but also because of its direct connection to the original. Audiences will expect a literal invisible man in a remake of the movie about the invisible man. I would have loved it if everyone involved had been bold enough to do something drastic with the property, but they end up serving two masters here in a way that didn’t really work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

morestuff posted:

. I would have loved it if everyone involved had been bold enough to do something drastic with the property,

That’s exactly what they did IMO

I FINALLY watched Prisoners (2013) and I’m sitting at 3/5. The “build tension then cut the scene before you get any release or resolution” thing he did throughout really drove me crazy by the end because it felt arbitrary. Then again the movie was already really long and maybe it was necessary. Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano both killed it in their roles and Terrance Howard was great in a completely different role for him as well. Hugh Jackman was solid as usual but outshined by Jake I’m every way.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 23, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s exactly what they did IMO

I like it in theory, but in the end it felt less like a drama about dealing with trauma and paranoia or more just about a superpowered abuser

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I liked the theming in Invisible Man much more than I liked the movie itself. The idea of using an Invisible Man to show the after-effects of an extremely abusive relationship is really smart.

morestuff posted:

Even if you accept the possibility that it might mainly be a metaphor the movie does a poor job of building suspense along those lines.

It gives away too much too early. The lingering shots in the basement, the references to optics — one the first hints that anything is out of the ordinary, the knife moving on its own and the kitchen fire, can’t really be explained away without the presence of an invisible man.

The title is important not just because of the literal words, but also because of its direct connection to the original. Audiences will expect a literal invisible man in a remake of the movie about the invisible man. I would have loved it if everyone involved had been bold enough to do something drastic with the property, but they end up serving two masters here in a way that didn’t really work for me.

It works imo because the movie isn't trying to set it up as a tense mystery of whether or not there actually is an Invisible Man. The drama doesn't come from "is she actually doing this? is there actually an invisible man?" but rather "will anyone believe her? how will she get out of this situation and away from him? when is he going to REALLY hurt her?" which are all questions that women in abusive relationships actually ask themselves. They're very realistic and relatable worries. You say the movie feels like dealing with a superpowered abuser, but that is what people being abused often feel about their abusers.

My problem with the movie comes in the second half and especially the ending. Spoilers I guess in case someone hasn't seen it but is interested in watching after this discussion: I wasn't a huge fan of how the theming kind of fell to the wayside in favor of light-weight action movie schlock of her trying to fight him off, even though there was some neat stuff done. I was alright with the twist of the Invisible Man being the brother, but the twist of the boyfriend still being alive and innocent really didn't stick well with me. It shows this horrible abuser in a very weirdly sympathetic light which completely goes against all the great theming set up in the first half. I'm guessing it was supposed to be a satisfying catharsis moment, but him being SO adamant about being innocent really fucks that up. If they had included even a quick scene of him going like "heh I can't believe she's buying it" would have worked fine, just SOMETHING to show that the dude's not innocent. But nope, instead the message winds up being "abusers become monsters and murderers" which is SUPER yikes.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 23, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bottom Liner posted:

I FINALLY watched Prisoners (2013) and I’m sitting at 3/5. The “build tension then cut the scene before you get any release or resolution” thing he did throughout really drove me crazy by the end because it felt arbitrary. Then again the movie was already really long and maybe it was necessary. Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano both killed it in their roles and Terrance Howard was great in a completely different role for him as well. Hugh Jackman was solid as usual but outshined by Jake I’m every way.

I love Prisoners so much, it was completely slept on for some reason. I think the performances and cinematography just push it above other films of that ilk, but I can understand the criticism. One I enjoyed going back and watching a second time, even if it wasn't a revelatory re-watch like some other films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I liked the theming in Invisible Man much more than I liked the movie itself. The idea of using an Invisible Man to show the after-effects of an extremely abusive relationship is really smart.

It works imo because the movie isn't trying to set it up as a tense mystery of whether or not there actually is an Invisible Man. The drama doesn't come from "is she actually doing this? is there actually an invisible man?" but rather "will anyone believe her? how will she get out of this situation and away from him? when is he going to REALLY hurt her?" which are all questions that women in abusive relationships actually ask themselves. They're very realistic and relatable worries. You say the movie feels like dealing with a superpowered abuser, but that is what people being abused often feel about their abusers.

I buy that, but it also feels a lot closer to the way a more generic movie would treat the villain.

quote:

My problem with the movie comes in the second half and especially the ending. Spoilers I guess in case someone hasn't seen it but is interested in watching after this discussion: I wasn't a huge fan of how the theming kind of fell to the wayside in favor of light-weight action movie schlock of her trying to fight him off, even though there was some neat stuff done. I was alright with the twist of the Invisible Man being the brother, but the twist of the boyfriend still being alive and innocent really didn't stick well with me. It shows this horrible abuser in a very weirdly sympathetic light which completely goes against all the great theming set up in the first half. I'm guessing it was supposed to be a satisfying catharsis moment, but him being SO adamant about being innocent really fucks that up. If they had included even a quick scene of him going like "heh I can't believe she's buying it" would have worked fine, just SOMETHING to show that the dude's not innocent. But nope, instead the message winds up being "abusers become monsters and murderers" which is SUPER yikes.

I think you're misinterpreting the ending.

He's too controlling and careful to admit outright that he was the Invisible Man, but he tips his hand when he emphasizes the word "surprise". You can read that as an intentional giveaway or him slipping up, but it's clear that she knows he was guilty. That's why she throws the "surprise" back in his face while he's dying.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

morestuff posted:

I buy that, but it also feels a lot closer to the way a more generic movie would treat the villain.

I think you're misinterpreting the ending.

He's too controlling and careful to admit outright that he was the Invisible Man, but he tips his hand when he emphasizes the word "surprise". You can read that as an intentional giveaway or him slipping up, but it's clear that she knows he was guilty. That's why she throws the "surprise" back in his face while he's dying.

he absolutely is admitting it but in a very careful way because he knows it’s all on camera. She can’t very well go to court and say HE ADMITTED IT THE WAY HE SAID SURPRISE BECAUSE HE SAID THAT PREVIOUSLY. And he knows that, and he wants her to know.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

he absolutely is admitting it but in a very careful way because he knows it’s all on camera. She can’t very well go to court and say HE ADMITTED IT THE WAY HE SAID SURPRISE BECAUSE HE SAID THAT PREVIOUSLY. And he knows that, and he wants her to know.

That’s a perfectly valid read, but I think he’s trying to gaslight her by keeping it at least a little ambiguous. That she sees through it right away wraps up her arc

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think bringing up the big key word from their whole arc at the end as a safe little stinger that wouldn't incriminate him is gaslighting in any way. It's the opposite, it's getting that last little dig in on purpose as a way of showing his power and control.

drat, given covid, that's probably going to be the best movie I saw in theaters in 2020. I'm ok with that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
I read online that a lot of people thought Pizza Pizza was a made up brand for the movie. Nope, its a real pizza chain and quite hilarious. I remwmber they used to offer free slices of pizza if the Raptors scored more than 100 pts in a game, which they have obviously backtracked on since they became NBA Champs.

I maintain that the Brie Larson vocals version of Metric’s “Black Sheep” is the better one.

Pizza Pizza is indeed real - it’s the same brand as Little Ceasars in America.

To add my own:

Knives out is even better the second time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I maintain that the Brie Larson vocals version of Metric’s “Black Sheep” is the better one.

hell yeah

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
My love for Metric refuses to accept this, but I think you may be right.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bolded what I loved, notes next to ones where I feel like it

Rest of June:

A Cat in Paris - lame story and characters, might be the lovely dub I watched, I also kinda disliked the animation style
Meet the Feebles - nuts
Enchanted - still one of the most purely joyful movies, I love it
Suicide Squad - 👎
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Fight Club - I dislike it more and more as time goes on
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - absolutely hilarious, Tim Blake Nelson is a goddamn treasure
Insidious: The Last Key
The Muppet Movie - Rainbow Connection is such a good song, and it's fun to hang out with these characters, but it's nothing amazing
Allied
The Silence of the Lambs - Anthony Hopkins just staring into my soul, maybe best acting performance of the 90s? idk dont @ me
Creed

All of July:

Bolt - the jump in quality from Meet the Robinsons to this is insane, and it's still funny and sharp and heartwarming today, love it
Hamilton - i'm white
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - 👎, they forgot to include the comedy
A Whisker Away - i'm a furry
Vertigo - yep, can see why it's a classic in every way :magical:
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - pod-racing is still exhilarating, everything else sucks
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
Polytechnique - finally an early Villeneuve movie that didn't bore me!
Gladiator
Palm Springs - pleasant surprise of 2020
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - classic
A Simple Plan
The Nun - I'll defend this movie, it was nowhere near as horrible as I was expecting from reviews, it had some really good atmosphere and creative scares
Taxi Driver - first Scorsese movie to reeeaaally impress me (I'm watching them in order and have only ever seen Shutter Island before ok), some parts felt like a documentary about NYC in the 70s
The Princess and the Frog - still top 5 Disney for me, flawless
The Man Who Wasn't There - I liked it just fine, but it's the first Coen Bros movie that I really just didn't get
Planet Terror (Grindhouse version) - nasty
Death Proof (Grindhouse version) - I was absolutely engrossed from beginning to end, and what an end! :woop:
Braindead (AKA Dead Alive) - jesus christ, Peter Jackson :barf:
The Great Muppet Caper - great muppets, bad sequel
Hannibal - boring and nauseating
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - boring and nauseating
Wonder Woman - still really enjoyable, but no getting around the fact that David Thewlis in power armour is laughable
Throne of Blood - holy mother of god this is amazing, and eerie, and enthralling
They Live - looked forward to this because Carpenter is great but it really didn't do much for me in the end
Tangled - gets better every time I see it
North by Northwest

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 1, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aaaaaaaand I just kicked off August with

Incendies - :shepicide:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Aaaaaaaand I just kicked off August with

Incendies - :shepicide:
You've been into some great stuff! Do you have a letterboxd page?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

fenix down posted:

You've been into some great stuff! Do you have a letterboxd page?

Nah, I should, but I just keep an excel spreadsheet of what i watch

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Nah, I should, but I just keep an excel spreadsheet of what i watch
Gotcha! I have definitely had my share of spreadsheets in the past, but just started using the Diary aspect of letterboxd recently and have been enjoying it.
https://letterboxd.com/fenixdown/films/diary/

Mostly been hitting stuff that has been on my list for years with a few new releases sprinkled in.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
August so far, the ones I really liked in bold

Incendies
Dunkirk
The Curse of La Llorona
Thumbelina
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
Black Hawk Down
Candyman
Winnie the Pooh
Panic Room
Intolerable Cruelty

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Prisoners
The Godfather Part II

Red Dragon
Matchstick Men
Heavenly Creatures

Some thoughts:

Incendies, jesus loving christ what an ending D:

Black Hawk Down kinda bored me, all the meathead soldier characters were completely interchangeable and I hated the shaky cam, I just couldn't care about a single white person on screen.

Candyman was a lot less slasher-y than I thought it would be, but when I saw it was by Clive Barker everything about it made sense. Not bad.

Panic Room surprised me by being better than I remembered, and after i kinda despised Fight Club on the third watch through my David Fincher movie opinions are shifting all over the place.

Intolerable Cruelty was goofy fun, middle tier Coen Bros for me but it did the job.

Prisoners was bleak and uncomfortable as poo poo, loved Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.

Godfather Part II was of course excellent, although I still think I like the first one more. The "holy poo poo" moments of the first hit a lot harder than the ones of the second.

Matchstick Men was a great 2 hours of Nicolas Cage being himself. Enjoyed the ride, but I kinda disliked the twist that the daughter was fake, I think it was a lot more of an interesting movie when he's learning to be a dad and I really found their relationship heartwarming so to have that ripped away so cruelly was frankly pretty depressing! But the very end, the denouement after the twist, gave a small bit of hope back to the movie so that was good.

Heavenly Creatures was delightfully off kilter. It was fascinating watching Peter Jackson put his horror expertise to work with such a weird, sad true story. The ending, with the girls bashing Pauline's mother to death, may be the most reviled I have ever felt at an act of violence in a movie. Graphically I've seen far worse in horror movies, but this simple act was just soul-shakingly horrible. I read up on the case afterwards, and fuuuck what a sad story :smith:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Soldier of Orange, 1977.
Directed by Paul Verhoeven
Starring Rutger Hauer

Easily the most patriotic Dutch movie ever made, this early Verhoeven is the story of the Netherlands in WW2, focusing on a few resistance fighters. It's also very much in the Verhoeven oeuvre, being as much a sex comedy as an epic war movie, but it does both great. There are some strong premonitions of Starship Troopers in here too, as the film begins with a group of college age friends, many of who end up at odds with each other as the war takes them on different paths.

4/5

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rest of August, with favourites bolded and notes:

Welcome to Marwen - what a pointless empty film, maybe the worst live action Zemeckis film, yuck
The Old Guard - a nice little surprise, ends with a great hook for a sequel that I hope gets made
Inglourious Basterds - good and supremely satisfying
Muse: Simulation Theory Film - great rock show, but performances truncated and songs cut so they could shove in some dumb sci-fi narrative scenes
New York, New York - Bart Simpson "say the line" meme but it's me waiting 2 and a half hours for Liza Minelli to sing the famous song
The Dark Crystal - loved it much more after seeing the Netflix series, which now I need to rewatch, which will make me want to rewatch the film, which will make me want to rewatch the Netflix series, and so on until the end of time
Enemy - didn't get it, nor did I particularly like it
Justice League - loving terrible
Annabelle Comes Home - not that scary but some fun ghost designs, especially the one with the coins for eyes
Wreck-It Ralph - sweet and sugary
Solo: A Star Wars Story - really underrated and unfairly maligned
Bill & Ted Face the Music - dumb, sweet and hopeful
Johnny English - really lowest-common-denominator spy spoof with like 3 great jokes and John Malkovich doing the worst fake French accent ever attempted
Lupin III: The First - like the Tintin movie but way wackier, really fun
Upgrade - HUGE surprise for me, amazingly inventive action scenes and a cool ending

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 31, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Realized it's been a few months since I've posted and my movie watching has dropped a bit in quantity...

All Blu-ray unless noted. I bolded my favorites.

Stray Dogs (2013, Tsai Ming-liang) - 4/5 - Criterion Channel
The Cremator (1969, Juraj Herz) - 4/5
Secret Ceremony (1968, Joseph Losey) - 3/5
Dodsworth (1936, William Wyler) - 4.5/5
The Collector (1965, William Wyler) - 4/5
Billy Liar (1963, John Schlesinger) - 4/5
Zachariah (1971, George Englund) - 3/5
Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938, Ernst Lubitsch) - 4/5
The Good Fairy (1935, William Wyler) - 3/5
One, Two, Three (1961, Billy Wilder) - 4/5

Z-Fest Stream:
Teens in the Universe - 3/5
The Giant Claw - 1.5/5
Killer Condom - 4/5
Troll 2 - 1/5 - rewatch
The Meteor Man - 3/5 - rewatch
the terror of tiny town - 2.5/5
Graffiti Bridge - 2/5
A Gnome Named Gnorm - 1.5/5
What If I'm Gay? - surprisingly good
Godzilla vs. Megalon - 2/5 rewatch

Castle in the Sky (1986, Hayao Miyazaki) - 4/5
Porco Rosso (1992, Hayao Miyazaki) - 4/5
Pom Poko (1994, Isao Takahata) - 4/5
Irma la Douce (1963, Billy Wilder) - 3.5/5
Whisper of the Heart (1995, Yoshifumi Kondou) - 3.5/5
Before Sunrise (1995, Richard Linklater) - 4/5
Howl's Moving Castle (2004, Hayao Miyazaki) - 3.5/5
The Sniper (1952, Edward Dmytryk) - 3/5 - Criterion Channel
The Pleasure of Being Robbed (2008, Josh Safdie/Benny Safdie) - 3.5/5 - Criterion Channel
Two Friends (1986, Jane Campion) - 3.5/5 - Criterion Channel

The Hospital (1971, Arthur Hiller) 2.5/5
Ponyo (2008, Hayao Miyazaki) - 4/5 [Now I've seen all of Miyazaki's feature films]
Before Sunset (2004, Richard Linklater) - 4/5
Born in Flames (1983, Lizzie Borden) - 4.5/5 - Criterion Channel
Married to the Mob (1988, Jonathan Demme) - 4/5
Christmas in July (1940, Preston Sturges) - 4.5/5
Tombstone (1993, George P. Cosmotos) - 4.5/5
Why We Fight: Prelude to War (1942) - 4/5
Transformers: The Movie (1986, Nelson Shin) - 1.5/5 - Stream
Before Midnight (2013, Richard Linklater) - 4.5/5

The American Friend (1977, Wim Wenders) - 4.5/5
Only Angels Have Wings (1939, Howard Hawks) - 4.5/5
Brick (2005, Rian Johnson) - 4.5/5

The Big Knife (1955, Robert Aldrich) - 4/5
The Big Combo (1955, Joseph H. Lewis) - 4/5
Hold Back the Dawn (1940, Mitchell Leisen) - 4/5
Room at the Top (1959, Jack Clayton) - 3.5/5
Leave Her to Heaven (1945, John M. Stahl) - 4/5
Beau Geste (1939, William Wellman) - 4/5
The Mark of Zorro (1940, Rouben Mamoulian) - 3/5

The Song of Songs (1933, Rouben Mamoulian) - 3/5
How I Won the War (1967, Richard Lester) - 3/5
The Big Fix (1978, Jeremy Kagan) - 4/5
After Hours (1985, Martin Scorsese - 4.5/5 - HBO Max
The Man Between (1953, Carol Reed) - 4/5
The Whole Town's Talking (1935, John Ford) - 4.5/5
The Landlord (1970, Hal Ashby) - 4/5
The Boys in the Band (1970, William Friedkin) - 5/5
The Tingler (1959, William Castle) - 4/5 rewatch - Stream

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989, Paul Bartel) - 3.5/5
Lawrence of Arabia (1962, David Lean) - 5/5 rewatch - UHD - seriously, one of my all-time favorite movies
The Sound Barrier (1952, David Lean) - 4/5
The Epic of Everest (1924) - 3/5
The Hands of Orlac (1924, Robert Wiene) - 3.5/5 - Criterion Channel
Song of Norway (1970, Andrew L. Stone) - 2/5
China Gate (1957, Samuel Fuller) - 2.5/5

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 1, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was the year I was going to see Lawerence of Arabia in 70 MM for sure )=

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rick posted:

This was the year I was going to see Lawerence of Arabia in 70 MM for sure )=

was it going to be rereleased in theaters?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

was it going to be rereleased in theaters?

I don't know if it was going to go wide but my local indy theater shows it nearly every year. They did a major reno last year and got a 70mm cut, but I was busy that day. I was like "oh no big deal they'll do it next year."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tenet - 4.5/5.

It’s literally just Nolan does Bond, but he kills it. John David Washington has charisma for days. Anyone complaining about the convoluted plot or hard to follow dialogue is completely missing the point. The plot is straightforward, the simplest of Nolan’s career to be honest, no matter how much sci-fi conceptual mumbo jumbo the characters say. It was loving great, total blast but actually not the most rewatchable because it’s not as deep as his normal fair and the theater experience was a key part of the fun. Just take the ride and enjoy.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Tenet - 4.5/5.

It’s literally just Nolan does Bond, but he kills it. John David Washington has charisma for days. Anyone complaining about the convoluted plot or hard to follow dialogue is completely missing the point. The plot is straightforward, the simplest of Nolan’s career to be honest, no matter how much sci-fi conceptual mumbo jumbo the characters say. It was loving great, total blast but actually not the most rewatchable because it’s not as deep as his normal fair and the theater experience was a key part of the fun. Just take the ride and enjoy.

I'm a big Nolan fan and although I enjoyed it, I think its easily his worst film, which means its still better than most. Its also great to see people coming up with original work, especially in the action genre, instead of sequels, prequels and reboots.

The sound really was terribls though.

4 / 5 for me

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm thinking of ending things 3/5

You know how a dream has this confident confusion? Things don't make sense minute to minute but you don't question it, you just accept it and continue on.

That's what this film was, surrealism played as normalcy. Another pastiche of "not quite right" to toss in the pile with tarkovsky, lynch, the lighthouse, hell even an occurrence at owl creek bridge. The list is a long list.

So then, how do you critique an abstract painting? No, seriously. If the intent is you see what you want, in the end all you'd be doing is reviewing yourself right?

Let's split the difference I guess. As a waking dream, something you just roll with regardless, this thing works..I liked it. It has a vibe, nestled with some really interesting visuals. (4/5)

As a structured film with a point, this ain't it. (2/5)

I'll call it a 3. Maybe I'd find meaning here if I knew the source material, but to be blunt, I don't give a poo poo about that. It was what it was, I think? Did my shirt just change color?

e: on kaufman-

I'm a big fan of things he's done with other directors..human nature, adaptation, malkovich, eternal sunshine..all incredible films i'd gladly watch multiple times. (confessions of a dangerous mind wasn't bad, but nowhere near the others)

I think I liked synecdoche when it came out? I'm starting to question that now though, like I can't remember much of the movie as a cohesive plot but remember specific scenes (the priests monologue stands out for instance)..wondering if I just liked moments in retrospect or the film as a whole. ITOET has me second-guessing it now. Also, making me less interested in finally seeing anomalisa.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 6, 2020

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011): 80
American Movie (1999): 100 (rewatch, was 100)
Miss Juneteenth (2020): 65

Big Night (1996): An easy viewing experience that gracefully presents not merely the how of food, but the why. 85

A Touch of Zen (1971): A lot of reviews lazily throw out "good visuals" to praise a movie, as though that weren't a barrier of entry for any halfway decent entertainment. This shorthand does a massive disservice to films like A Touch of Zen, which features the kind of holy poo poo photography you didn't think possible. More to my taste, it does not sanction impatience, dwelling in contemplation for something like an hour before any conflict gets going. All this AND the action scenes are top-tier, madre mio. 95

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018): It would be entirely forgettable if it weren't so antiquatedly xenophobic. 20

Sincere Heart (1953): The early goings are tough because the protagonist is letting off strong Denny-from-The-Room vibes and it's hard to take seriously, but my heart would break in half every time the film returned to its young love motif in the form of two teenagers making eye contact through their windows, an unspoken union that gives their lives meaning. Is it obvious I've been cooped up in a house during a pandemic? Kobayashi remains legend. 80

The Last Dance (2020): It takes the safe road at every turn, sacrifices insight for access, and fails to capture so much of the poetry of the greatest sport on Earth. 40

Rafiki (2018): A classical forbidden romance that manages to stand out thanks to a unique, sophisticated visual palette and strong acting. 80

High Noon (1952): 90 (rewatch, was 90)
The Executioner (1963): 85
Peppermint Frappé (1967): 65
Children of Men (2006): 95 (rewatch, was 95)
Taipei Story (1985): 80
The Whole Truth (2016): 50
Comic Book Confidential (1988): 75
Cria Cuervos (1976): 70

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020): The first hour maintains a taut balance of tension and modern angst propelled by a lot of good writing and acting. The final 70 minutes unravel the whole affair, appearing more like a legitimate assertion of self-seriousness that it was earlier thought to be mocking. Amidst this intellectual discord I found myself thinking, "Is this made for me? Am I supposed to be drawn in by this? If I find this riveting I might be lost." For the sake of my soul I had to reject it outright. 40

Fat City (1972): 85 (rewatch, was 85)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I reread One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest a few weeks ago, and then I just noticed that the film adaptation (which I'd never seen before) was on Netflix, so I gave that a whirl this evening.

Grade: B-

I know Jack Nicholson is an icon, and I can see why he was cast for this, but I just can't see him as the McMurphy from the book. Aside from Nicholson, I did enjoy a lot of the casting. When I take the movie as "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but with Jack Nicholson playing himself as the lead," it works better and that's how I graded it, but that was a big detriment to me. I'm usually not someone who thinks that a film adaptation needs to be 100% faithful to a book to be good, and I do agree with the biggest change made here for the sake of making it a film (changing the POV character from Bromden to McMurphy), but I disliked most of the other changes.

I think the movie also presents a much, much more sympathetic Nurse Ratched. Arguably she's not villainous at all, and I know that's always been the hot take with the book, but I always thought that was a bit of a stretch there. Here, though, even her worst moves like threatening Billy with his mother and lobotomizing McMurphy don't seem nearly as bad. Maybe it's just the difference between seeing a set of actions on-screen instead of through a narrator's perspective.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Uncut Gems

So it turns out Adam Sandler can be good. Like when he's not in charge of everything.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

David D. Davidson posted:

Uncut Gems

So it turns out Adam Sandler can be good. Like when he's not in charge of everything.

I watched it last week just because it kept coming up on my recommended and hard agree. Great performance.

And the last 10 minutes of that film are so wonderfully tense.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Crocodile Dundee (1986): B+.

I must have absorbed some of this movie through cultural osmosis. I'm pretty sure I had never seen it all the way through but a lot of it felt familiar in a good way. Funny movie, and I feel as though the treatment of Australians/Aborigines was decent for the '80s (I could be completely off base)? Dundee is a walking Australian stereotype now, of course.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i kept having Devil All the Time get brought up by normie friends and decided to give in

i already didn't think i would like it from the trailer, but the fact that it was on Netflix's top 10 should have been a dead giveaway it was going to be bad

it was, in fact, terrible. torture porn with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. i actually laughed when tom holland's sister "accidentally"(?) offed herself. in a movie where horrible things happen to every character just because, it was just just beating a dead horse at that point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
September, the ones I really liked bolded:

For the Love of the Game
A Silent Voice
Mulan (2020)
Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Psycho (original)
Frozen
The Ladykillers (Coen Bros version)
Murder on the Orient Express (Branagh version)
Kong: Skull Island
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Cable Guy
A Troll in Central Park
Forgotten Silver
Sicario

A Good Year
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Creed II
Antebellum
The Godfather Part III
Big Hero 6
Top Gun
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Enola Holmes
Aquaman
Django Unchained
American Gangster
Raging Bull
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Arrival

Everyone shits on the Godfather Part III but I thought it was really solid.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

September, the ones I really liked bolded:

For the Love of the Game
A Silent Voice
Mulan (2020)
Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Psycho (original)
Frozen
The Ladykillers (Coen Bros version)
Murder on the Orient Express (Branagh version)
Kong: Skull Island
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Cable Guy
A Troll in Central Park
Forgotten Silver
Sicario

A Good Year
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Creed II
Antebellum
The Godfather Part III
Big Hero 6
Top Gun
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Enola Holmes
Aquaman
Django Unchained
American Gangster
Raging Bull
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Arrival

Everyone shits on the Godfather Part III but I thought it was really solid.

curious what you thought of Raging Bull and non-ironically Talladega Nights.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TommyGun85 posted:

curious what you thought of Raging Bull and non-ironically Talladega Nights.

Raging Bull was fine, had some great scenes, but similar to Mean Streets, I’m just not into Scorsese’s meandering storytelling style that he sometimes employs. I much prefer the tight storytelling of Taxi Driver.

Talladega Nights was basically every other Will Ferrell comedy but with race cars. I liked a fair amount of the jokes, especially with Sacha Baron Cohen’s character and the two foul mouthed kids. And John C Reilly is always a treat.
Edit: and the baby Jesus jokes lol

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 30, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Uncut Gems (2019): 9/10
Cobra (1986): 7/10
Withnail & I (1987): 5/10
Stalker (1979): 8/10
Carts of Darkness (2008): 6/10
Parasite (2019): 10/10
Memories of Murder (2003): 10/10
Ford v Ferrari (2019): 8/10
Toni Erdmann (2016): 6/10
A League of Their Own (1992): 8/10
Space Jam (1996): 6/10
Fantastic Argoman (1967): 5/10
The Masque of the Red Death (1964): 8/10
American Factory (2019): 7/10
Crocodile Dundee (1986): 6/10
Bee Movie (2007): 5/10
The Giant Claw (1957): 6/10
The Killer Condom (1996): 8/10
The Terror of Tiny Town (1938): 7/10
Graffiti Bridge (1990): 8/10
A Gnome Named Gnorm (1990): 4/10
My Neighbor Totoro (1988): 7/10
The Naked City (1948): 7/10
Rubber (2010): 7/10
Auto Focus (2002): 9/10
Groom Lake (2002): 4/10
Funeral Parade of Roses (1969): 7/10
Shag-O-Rama (alternatively The Linguini Incident (1991): 4/10
Double Down (2005): 2/10
Fateful Findings (2013): 2/10
Short Time (1990): 8/10
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (1953): 8/10
Your Name. (2016): 9/10
My Dinner with Andre (1981): 9/10
Black Narcissus (1947): 8/10

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Not a fan of Withnail & I, eh? Any thoughts? Ditto for Toni Erdmann.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Not a fan of Withnail & I, eh? Any thoughts? Ditto for Toni Erdmann.

I was kind of out of it when watching Withnail (although 5/10 for me is "average", not "bad"), I would have to rewatch it and give it a more fair assessment. I don't think I was in the mood for the depressing meandering kind of feel it has at the time.

Toni Erdmann I'm not sure why it was that recent in my criticker (where I pull these from) because I'm pretty confident I watched it on a plane 3 years ago.

It's a fine movie, I enjoyed Maren Ade's direction and what she was accomplishing with the movie. I think one issue I had is how much it was described and played up to me as a "comedy" and "very funny", which may be true but more of a German or Scandinavian style of comedy where you sit there and appreciate how comical and absurd life is without really laughing. I think my biggest issue with it was just that the 2.5 hours runtime seemed really excessive. After a while it was really wearing out its welcome and I wasn't getting more out of it. I did really enjoy the ending (although it was very awkward to watch on a crowded plane), but I just don't think it's my kind of movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

piratepilates posted:

Cobra (1986): 7/10

Was this first watch or rewatch with nostalgia?

I haven't seen this in forever, probably since I was 14 and thought it was cool. I didn't imagine it held up at all though