Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Incy posted:

So this game just flat out doesn't work on a lot of phones, then? I've tried my pixel, galaxy s5something and an old iphone and none of them seem to actually load the game, instead sitting on a blank screen. Is there a common workaround I'm missing?

It does work on an old galaxy s4 though!

Seems to have high compatibility with tablets and low with phones. Are you rooted by chance? I tried it with several android emulators and anything with root it did not like. Runs fine in Nox, Memu, Bluestacks, and Droid4x.

You probably want this on the go, but an emulator friendly game is always a bonus for when you want to spend stam at home since it can be so much faster also being able to hotkey everything can be really nice depending on game (not so much here unless you are switching rooms hunting for connects while watching TV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
Applied to the overflow guild as Emormu.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Going through my gear and distilling one "best" set for the 6 chars I use for arena/connect/quest took longer than anticipated. It also cost about 4M mana to do all the reforging (and occasional summon to get more fodder) but it doesn't half pay off. My arena team value went from 51k to over 64k.

And that's with only 2 pieces of 5* gear and nothing over L20 (I preferred to get everything to mid teens than focus on a couple of items). The motto of this story is do not neglect your equipment or it's drag your team down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ratzap posted:

Going through my gear and distilling one "best" set for the 6 chars I use for arena/connect/quest took longer than anticipated. It also cost about 4M mana to do all the reforging (and occasional summon to get more fodder) but it doesn't half pay off. My arena team value went from 51k to over 64k.

And that's with only 2 pieces of 5* gear and nothing over L20 (I preferred to get everything to mid teens than focus on a couple of items). The motto of this story is do not neglect your equipment or it's drag your team down.

You need 2-3 arena teams for Grand Arena (you need 3 teams best of 2 each guy can only be on 1 team). It gets expensive after around level 10-15 on gear so you want enough to put stuff on 15 guys at level 10+. After that you want to have a best team for normal arena and level that stuff evenly, when that gets really expensive go back and level your B/C teams a bit.

You will want the other guys for some of the harder connects and content that aren't out yet. The game really wants you to have more than just the core 5-7 guys you main leveled up. It will pay in the long run, but short run it will pay off more to give your core a big lead. Just don't go too hard and start using unique hero items as feed even if it's for heroes you don't think you'd main because you "have better". Meta can also change don't make it hard on yourself later.

Tombstone Monarch
Dec 21, 2006

Here comes the pay!
I applied to the main guild as SolomonGrundy.

Tombstone Monarch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

You need 2-3 arena teams for Grand Arena (you need 3 teams best of 2 each guy can only be on 1 team). It gets expensive after around level 10-15 on gear so you want enough to put stuff on 15 guys at level 10+. After that you want to have a best team for normal arena and level that stuff evenly, when that gets really expensive go back and level your B/C teams a bit.

You will want the other guys for some of the harder connects and content that aren't out yet. The game really wants you to have more than just the core 5-7 guys you main leveled up. It will pay in the long run, but short run it will pay off more to give your core a big lead. Just don't go too hard and start using unique hero items as feed even if it's for heroes you don't think you'd main because you "have better". Meta can also change don't make it hard on yourself later.

Don't overdo it is reasonable advice for most things.

I've been playing for 10 days now. I have 39 heroes, 11 4* and the rest all 3*. 6 are purple, 14 blue with the remainder green. With the orb thing finished, gear is the easiest way to improve for people starting out like me. I started at a pretty opportune moment to be fair with all the freebies and bonuses. All I really need to do is switch one hero to get from quest to arena/connect setup so getting a strong core group makes most sense. Grand area is easy to win this way too. The core group is team one and since most people seem to invariably have a lovely third team I put my next best there with some 1 or 2* leftover gear. Getting more of everything will happen over time, especially seeing how slow the hero quests seem to be at giving souls. By the time I have enough heroes purple to make a serious move on grand arena, I'll also have a big pile of new gear for them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ratzap posted:

Don't overdo it is reasonable advice for most things.

I've been playing for 10 days now. I have 39 heroes, 11 4* and the rest all 3*. 6 are purple, 14 blue with the remainder green. With the orb thing finished, gear is the easiest way to improve for people starting out like me. I started at a pretty opportune moment to be fair with all the freebies and bonuses. All I really need to do is switch one hero to get from quest to arena/connect setup so getting a strong core group makes most sense. Grand area is easy to win this way too. The core group is team one and since most people seem to invariably have a lovely third team I put my next best there with some 1 or 2* leftover gear. Getting more of everything will happen over time, especially seeing how slow the hero quests seem to be at giving souls. By the time I have enough heroes purple to make a serious move on grand arena, I'll also have a big pile of new gear for them.

There are always people that go I don't have Thor! Let me use Mjolner for some other weapons XP! With all the free diamonds everyone should have Thor at some point. Being too short sighted is bad. Also selling stuff if you intend to be F2P for blacksmith tokens is a good idea. Even if you are throwing money at the game it can be a good idea you can pick and chose diamond only items as they come up for sale.They good stuff is pretty expensive.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I have a question regarding leveling up skills. Can I still level up the skills even if a weapon/accessory level is 5* maxed out for example? It's the only thing holding me back from seriously beefing up my gear.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Marogareh posted:

I have a question regarding leveling up skills. Can I still level up the skills even if a weapon/accessory level is 5* maxed out for example? It's the only thing holding me back from seriously beefing up my gear.

Yes you can. You just need the relevant skill item, it doesn't have to be the same star rating like reforge bits do but lower quality ones mean you get a less than 100% chance (and thus need more of them to ensure success). The skill increasing items seem to be pretty scarce so choose wisely.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ratzap posted:

Yes you can. You just need the relevant skill item, it doesn't have to be the same star rating like reforge bits do but lower quality ones mean you get a less than 100% chance (and thus need more of them to ensure success). The skill increasing items seem to be pretty scarce so choose wisely.

Pretty sure it goes off base rarity of the item too so upgrading to try and upgrade a skill further wont help. Getting to skill level 4 is pretty easy and you can fuse multiple to up the chance. It's either 2 or 3 items to get a 10% chance of skill up to level 5.

You should rank up (get the gear to 5*) before getting the skill level up. Skill up gear is a thing and 2*/3* gear is rare enough that getting dupes should be made into getting them more powerful. If there is a shared skill (2* gear where 1* has the same ability) you can use the 1* gear to also skill it up. Things with unique skills are just too powerful to skill up over rank up. That is what you want to spend the blacksmithing skill up daggers on. You will get plenty from mana pulls over time. 5* skill 1 gear is better than 4* skill 4 gear. If you get another piece after you have a 5* you can either start working on a second one or start skilling up by the time you have gotten enough to 5* anything rare you should have a good idea of what you are doing or you are whaling really hard and will get it again anyway.

Accessories are a bit different due to the passive buff being pretty drat strong and increasing pretty nicely. Remember you can only get +50% passive and +50 buff to each stat which is 2 5* 5 skill of the same item. You also need to actually shove these on your guys and they are kind of rare but some you only need a few of. Remember you need 10 guys for grand arena (well 15, but until yo are really late you can get by with 10 much better).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

So I already was impulsive and spent like 3500 diamonds on gatcha pulls and have an all 3 Star team now, but I don't know what to do with my remaining diamonds. Are they something I should save?

I have this same question. I have about 5k crystals left and it looks like the only thing to really spend them on are the random draws. Should I just blow them now or are there events that I should be saving them for in the future?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 13, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Radish posted:

I have this same question. I have about 5k crystals left and it looks like the only thing to really spend them on are the random draws. Should I just blow them now or are there events that I should be saving them for in the future?

The star events (or whatever they are called) where you can get some of the really rare guys and they only drop from that (like Odin) are what you likely want to blow all your diamonds on if you have a good set right now. If you still need a solid core team you should do pulls because a good arena rank pays in diamonds.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Especially if you are a free to play player, save your diamonds. This is like my third post in this thread about it. At some point, you stop getting showered with thousands of diamonds and unless you are willing to put in some $$ or wait a long time in-between pulls, those shiny 3000-diamond 10-step pulls are suddenly going to become a lot more scarce.

My advice is to:
- wait for star party (happens approx. once a month, has a guaranteed 3* in each 10-pull and increased chances for 3*s in general, along with some exclusive star party units like Odin - the most OP mage - and Skadi)
- wait for certain events like 3-step pulls (6500 diamonds, except for Matisse recently which was 7500, so who knows if that's what it'll be in the future) where you are guaranteed something specific on the 3rd step and where the first few steps are discounted

If you're not sure, ask in this thread first and I can tell you to hold onto your diamonds. Most of these pulls are not good deals unless you're okay with spending money. If you really want those endorphins from pulling a gacha I won't stop you, but a month down the line when you're wishing you had saved up for something more concrete you will see what I mean.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have a team of 3 star guys that seem solid so I'll just hold off and do the 100,000 magic pulls for upgrade mats. Thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
im rolling canon/freya/zato/loki/heim at the moment and its working really well, but im at that point where its mostly spending my energy to farm orbs, which is a bit grindy, and i can't really progress in arena/garena until this gets done

they toss energy at you constantly though so its not too bad

re: equipment, i am almost at cap with various bits and bobs that ive been fusing together as i get copies, but haven't really been leveling any of it; is it worthwhile to toss the 1* equips, even if i've gotten them to 3 or 4* already, as exp?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Are the beginner pulls worth it or did I waste a whole lot of gems?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

boy are my arms tired posted:

re: equipment, i am almost at cap with various bits and bobs that ive been fusing together as i get copies, but haven't really been leveling any of it; is it worthwhile to toss the 1* equips, even if i've gotten them to 3 or 4* already, as exp?
You can buy +5 equipment spaces for 10k mana each. I would actually suggest against reforging most 1* items since even at higher * level they are not very good. You should fuse them into diamond equips that you have to make equipment stronger. This page might help you figure out what to do with most 1* mana summons.

ChickenWing posted:

Are the beginner pulls worth it or did I waste a whole lot of gems?

Ehh... there are more worthwhile things to wait to spend your diamonds on. The 1500 diamond pull is fine; the issue with the rest of the beginner summon is that it only has certain units (for instance I don't think it has anything like Thor or many other wanted units) whereas you can get the units in the beginner summon + more in the regular diamond summon. So at the 3000 diamond level you should just switch to regular diamond summons. (Ideally you would keep your diamonds and just wait until a good pull comes out.)

That said I didn't know this advice and pulled all of the beginner summons and, meh. Early on in the game you get diamonds frequently enough that it's not too big of a deal to worry over.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Clocks posted:

You can buy +5 equipment spaces for 10k mana each. I would actually suggest against reforging most 1* items since even at higher * level they are not very good. You should fuse them into diamond equips that you have to make equipment stronger. This page might help you figure out what to do with most 1* mana summons.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Onslaught notes. Good stuff costs 10,000 tokens, if the lower floors cannot be farmed and you don't have high level super chars all you can do is look wistfully into the shop window.

Lower floors are pretty easy, use your crap chars as far as they'll go. You can only heal your chars for free every 12 hours so your Baldr is going to pay for himself again.

You can only carry 3 reward chests at any one time, the diamond cost is to open it right now and drops as time passes (hence the countdown on the chest).

You can of course pay to heal all your chars but it's not cheap but the cost does decrease over time.

Crimson chest - 2h timer
Ruby chest - 10h timer

No stamina cost, no experience, mana flasks.

By floor 4, my 4* all purple team is starting to take more damage than Baldr can fix (enemy teams are around 30,000 power).

Hope this helps, add anything you notice.

Edit: You can use mercs, it says 3/3 when you open the tab so there's a limit in place. The teams seem to be taken randomly? from the arena going by the names. I'm running out of steam in area 5 now. Power 50k and rising.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

ONSLAUGHT
Onslaught is an event in which you fight increasingly harder battles. Your heroes' health (but also their skill & limit gauges) carries over from each battle. They can only be healed once every 10 hours (in this particular event) for free or earlier with the use of diamonds.

TIPS
> You can use 3 mercs an area. However, this resets when you heal your heroes. This is the key to getting through tough areas even with a weak team, as a strong Thor, for instance, can carry you through pretty far. Now is the time to follow all the top people on the leaderboards so you can use their really powerful mercenaries.
> To take this a step further, don't jump in with just a merc and hope they can win - at higher levels even they will get one-shot no matter how strong they are. Plan ahead. Use your weak heroes as fodder until your limit gauge fills, then use the merc next battle and immediately use its special attack.
> You can refresh which team you fight, indefinitely, for 300 mana each time. Use this to find a less powerful team or one with a more easily won composition. For instance, a team with Baldr has one less attacker, and thus might be a good idea to fight, but on the flipside, on tower 10+ where teams get extra % boost, Baldr becomes a nightmare because you can't kill him fast enough before he outheals.
> This is hard to do for most people (and it's hard to predict when Onslaughts will come out, although they happen about once a month), but if you are online right when the event starts, you can get a slight edge up. Most of the teams you face will be NPC teams instead of teams taken from people climbing the tower. This can allow you to blitz through more easily then when you are up against real teams. Bonus: the past couple onslaughts were bugged - for instance they had to reset this onslaught last night, but anyone who made it through the tower got to keep chests they opened etc.

Clocks, is the 7-step pull worth it? No. Don't waste your time and diamonds. If you go all the way, you spend 11,400 diamonds for 43 summons and get a guaranteed 3* unit and 3* gear. At most this saves you 1500 diamonds from just pulling regularly, while costing a shitton and not really offering you all that much.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 16, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Was progress supposed to reset? I was on around 30 last night because I was up at midnight and went to bed and it's back to 1. Maybe it reset at the 4AM roll over and wasn't supposed to be up at midnight? Or maybe it resets daily. Or maybe a bug, I can't find any info on it does anyone know.

edit: I should refresh before posting, post above me covered this

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 16, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
my thumb hovered over the buy diamonds button for this 7pull before i checked the thread, ty clocks

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thanks for the onslaught tips guys! I hope you don't mind, but I'm adding good stuff you guys post to the OP to kind of flesh it out some more. :shobon:

:justpost:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
im in the main guild but is there a way to unlock more slots? overflow guilds rarely work out and i dont want people to quit playing because of the main/sub guild status

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

im in the main guild but is there a way to unlock more slots? overflow guilds rarely work out and i dont want people to quit playing because of the main/sub guild status

Nope, capped at 20 each. Guild pvp will be a thing later so that's probably why. We have a couple people who haven't been on in over a week and a few more who haven't been on in a few days. So depending on how many or few people are in the other guild we can do some consolidating. A lot of people try out games for a bit but then lose interest.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

my thumb hovered over the buy diamonds button for this 7pull before i checked the thread, ty clocks

I did it anyway because I was going to get some of the fusion packages before they disappear and use the diamond components to get extra souls. While not the greatest offer it saves some diamonds and I got two heroes to 5* from it (most importantly Heimdall) and a couple of special gears that let me make 4* stuff.

I tried the orbs 5x special too but it's Therian only and while I have 6 of them, they don't survive the third stage of the hardest level.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Overflow currently has eight 'active' (as in Guild Exp 3d >0) players.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Overflow currently has eight 'active' (as in Guild Exp 3d >0) players.

If we kicked everyone who has 0 guild exp for the past 3 days we'd have six spots available. So I dunno, even if we could take in all of the overflow, the next person who comes along and wants to try VC would be left out.

Ratzap posted:

I did it anyway because I was going to get some of the fusion packages before they disappear and use the diamond components to get extra souls. While not the greatest offer it saves some diamonds and I got two heroes to 5* from it (most importantly Heimdall) and a couple of special gears that let me make 4* stuff.

I tried the orbs 5x special too but it's Therian only and while I have 6 of them, they don't survive the third stage of the hardest level.

Yeah, I mean, my advice is for people who are really trying to stretch their diamonds. People who are willing to pay to get more diamonds or reeeeally want some immediate satisfaction are welcome to do whatever pulls they like. And that doesn't mean you can't get something good in your pulls. It's just that this 7-step pull is a worse deal than many of the other summons they have so I'd definitely caution f2p players away from it. In comparison, someone could wait for star party, spend 4x3k on 40 pulls, get four guaranteed 3* items or heroes and probably get a few extra since the 3* rate is up during star party. And potentially get a unit like Odin while they're at it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I quite agree. I'm enjoying the game enough at the moment to be ok with tossing them some cash.

My arena team is steady in the 500 to 600 area now but I'm still tinkering with the GA team. 1200 or so arena tokens a day is pretty nice though.

My biggest beef with the game would be the hero quest drop rates. I do all of them every day and barely get a thing. 3 times nothing four days in a row is pretty annoying. Particularly seeing as the soul trader wants hundreds for something but spares count for one each.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Clocks posted:

Clocks, is the 7-step pull worth it? No.

Bullshit, I finally got Vali and Wolfgang from it.

Actually, what would be a good deal for a first purchase? I've been playing long enough to justify some bucks.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 16, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Looks like I'm about to start the excessive orb shard grind since I have almost everyone at blue frame. The jump from needing 5 shards to 30 is crazy, also fuuuuuck the rng for getting soul crystals. I've been trying to unlock Marmalade for a week and I only need 1 more.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got the new squid head boss on the 5th try so that's nice. Onslaught is not going so well though. I got to the 9th floor (with a lot of tears) but all the teams from here on out power my best units by 20 to 30%. Any further progress is going to be slow at best.

I got all my heroes to blue as a minimum now but it's the promotions I'm missing. Hero quests are not being kind and my 3 stars just don't stand a chance against all 5s.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ratzap posted:

I got all my heroes to blue as a minimum now but it's the promotions I'm missing. Hero quests are not being kind and my 3 stars just don't stand a chance against all 5s.

Friend the top players using the crown on the left side of the home page, crush 3 teams with a solo Thor every 10 hours, up to 6 if you can get onto a new floor since that resets the merc count!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Friend the top players using the crown on the left side of the home page, crush 3 teams with a solo Thor every 10 hours, up to 6 if you can get onto a new floor since that resets the merc count!

I'm using L50 mercs but I didn't know about the reset on a new floor.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yes, you can use 3 mercs per area. This also resets each time you heal your heroes, so the key to getting past harder difficulties is just using your mercs in a strategic way. For instance, throw some fodder at the fight until you have a full limit gauge again, then pick a strong Thor and use his limit burst right away.

Ratzap posted:

Blue or purple? Because getting your main team to purple is more important than waiting for them to rank up in stars. (That's a big boost obviously, but purple frame is an important milestone.)

Marogareh posted:

Looks like I'm about to start the excessive orb shard grind since I have almost everyone at blue frame. The jump from needing 5 shards to 30 is crazy
Wait until you get to purple frame and you need like 50 purple shards and an entire blue orb (so 30 blue shards) to boot :getin:

horriblePencilist posted:

Actually, what would be a good deal for a first purchase? I've been playing long enough to justify some bucks.
The $4 stamina pack for 30 days. It's the most useful purchase you can make in VC with real money.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Clocks posted:

Yes, you can use 3 mercs per area. This also resets each time you heal your heroes, so the key to getting past harder difficulties is just using your mercs in a strategic way. For instance, throw some fodder at the fight until you have a full limit gauge again, then pick a strong Thor and use his limit burst right away.

Blue or purple? Because getting your main team to purple is more important than waiting for them to rank up in stars. (That's a big boost obviously, but purple frame is an important milestone.)

I've been doing that. I got half of floor 9 cleared but the teams are getting silly. My best picks are around 74k so even with a 50 merc I'm under the power scores of the opposition now (I reroll them to get compositions I have a change against). There's 8 days left so I should hopefully manage to clear 10 before it's over.

My top 6 are purple but 2 have been stuck at 3 star for a while now. The daily disappointment in hero quest town is not amusing. Common crap I get 2 or 3 of but the ones I want are staying away.

From doing another couple of blues to purple today, it seems to take 600 to 800 stamina at least. I've not even tried adding pips to a purple frame yet.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Is anyone not in one of the guilds and want in? There are a few people who haven't logged in, in 10 days or longer.

:siren: If you haven't been on and want to stay in the guild, log in within the next few days or else I'm going to make room for more active people. :siren:

Nothing personal dudes, just want to keep up with who is still into the game and who isn't.

Harlen
Oct 4, 2013
Which goon guilds are open? I would like to join but I don't know which is open.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Smorboll is full as of right now, but it's the one I'm looking to free up spots in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Smorboll actually has 19/20 and we can kick like five more inactives.

• Locked thread