Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Daily Show returns January 3rd with guest Michael Che.

Context for thread title

This is The Daily Show thread; we've had one every year for like a decade, even though discussion of the show was admittedly drying up a bit near the end of 2016. But who knows; America is entering the Trump years now, and I'm betting we ain't seen nothing yet despite the clusterfuck that was 2016. In some ways Trump seems like an adaption of right wing politics; he can't be hurt the same way Dubya was worn down by Stewart and Colbert. We'll see how the next generation handles a reactionary administration that mostly dropped the pretense of respectability.

The Daily Show News Team
Trevor Noah
Jordan Klepper
Hasan Minhaj
Desi Lydic
Roy Wood, Jr.
Ronny Chieng
Adam Lowitt
Eliza Cossio
Michelle Wolf
Lewis Black

Oral history of The Daily Show for those who still want to look back at the Stewart years.
2016 thread
Discussion of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert belongs in the Late Night thread. Sam Bee and John Oliver have their own threads.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The sheer fuckery of the Bush years was what really gave Stewart and all his cohort their wings of sheer helpless horror and anger. There sure won't be any shortage of those emotions in the year to come; I suppose we'll see if left-of-center American political satire finds a new golden age.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, Trump may have seemed like he was pure teflon or adamantium during the campaign; but people seem to forget just how unreliable and pathologically dishonest and destructive Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Alberto were.

I don't disagree that Trump is a unique threat in ways Bush wasn't, but in some ways Trump is still going to be the new figurehead of the same corrupt regime. The biggest problem will be whether they can crack the idea that "nothing matters" in Trump's America. It's a big challenge, and I think Stewart would have also struggled.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I felt like the show took on a stronger tone in October, leading up to the election, and the possibility that Trump could win. Trump's Election isn't Trevor's 9/11 moment, but I think it's close. I feel like he understands the stakes at play, and that this poo poo is real with Trump is in play.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I think it was unrealistic to expect Trevor to be a drop-in replacement for Jon. The show is still more or less the same, but Trevor has his own approach to it because he comes from a radically different background than most of us. He's definitely getting more focused now, and it's because Trump is, as you said, Trevor's "9/11 moment," except for the fact that Trump is far, far worse for America than 9/11. :(

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Atomizer posted:

except for the fact that Trump is far, far worse for America than 9/11. :(

hes worse than 3 wars and trillions lost?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Time will tell.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Michelle Wild with straight hair, wow. Also, she's gotten better.

Definitely post-holidays so far but enjoyable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Probably on that second one, we'll see on your first point.

His ignorant blather on nuclear weapons is kind of disheartening

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's a slight exaggeration, but only in the sense that he hasn't even been inaugurated yet and doesn't have any real power at the moment. Trump is a racist, narcissistic, climate-change-denying demagogue who thinks he's always right, is always the smartest person in the room, is ignoring the expertise of all of this nation's intelligence agencies, will have control of the entire US armed forces and nuclear arsenal, is easily manipulated and is buddying up with our greatest enemy, Putin's Russia.

Like, I admire you for being optimistic but I honestly can't see anything good about Trump in the White House. I don't want to get too off-topic and have to go into too much detail, but suffice it to say I really think that Trump is worse than the 9/11 attacks* and is the analogue for Trevor as his "national tragedy" moment.

*Also I was referring to the attacks themselves, as in the direct loss of life and the immediate economic consequences rather than the wars started afterward and their effects, particularly considering the Iraq invasion is kind of Bush's vendetta anyway.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
This show is pretty unfunny, and even I thought Stewart was funny even though I am conservative. It's simply a steaming pile now.

Atomizer posted:

I really think that Trump is worse than the 9/11 attacks* and

:yikes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks for your update.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

It's simply a steaming pile now.

if you hate it so much why are you posting about it

neener

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fog Tripper posted:

This show is pretty unfunny, and even I thought Stewart was funny even though I am conservative. It's simply a steaming pile now.

mlyp

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Die Sexmonster! posted:

if you hate it so much why are you posting about it

neener

Because I watched it and have an opinion about it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fog Tripper posted:

So are you going to keep hate watching? Cause that's some great times.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GreenNight posted:

So are you going to keep hate watching? Cause that's some great times.

I do it with Under the dome, Walking Dead and others, why not this as well.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

How dare you come in here with your honest opinion about a TV show, this thread is for outraged political debate and discussion only!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fog Tripper posted:

:yikes:

From an actuarial standpoint, if a Trump administration repeals the ACA without some measure in place to provide insurance to the needy and ensure people with pre-existing conditions can received affordable coverage, Trump will be responsible for a lot more deaths and economic loss than 9/11.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have removed the "en". CurburineThusiasm

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
GreenNight in yet another thread getting pissy because people don't like his show :laffo:

Quality gimmick posting, two thumbs up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pander posted:

From an actuarial standpoint, if a Trump administration repeals the ACA without some measure in place to provide insurance to the needy and ensure people with pre-existing conditions can received affordable coverage, Trump will be responsible for a lot more deaths and economic loss than 9/11.

Yeah, but they'll blame the ACA for not being better since they just had to repeal it, so their hands are clean!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Love Crime posted:

GreenNight in yet another thread getting pissy because people don't like his show :laffo:

Quality gimmick posting, two thumbs up.

Dude, I haven't watched Daily Show since the election, so ok I guess?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Caught up on the last two episodes.

The book that Wednesday's guest was peddling sounds terrible. I like Obama enough; but his presidency will mainly be useful in that a future Democrat can make the case "We tried tackling it Obama's way; let's try it another way." And some progress in social issues.

I hope Trevor keeps scrutinizing HUD just so he'll have every excuse to do the impression.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm a big fan of the title of "Insane Clown President" by Matt Taibbi. It was :allears: today hearing Juan Gonzalez, Titan of grassroots movements and recording them, wonder out loud if the title was a nod to how the Ringling Bros Circus had just lost steam and died, non metaphorically. :ughh:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Holy poo poo, that opening segment had waaay more teeth than I was expecting for a novelty flip-flop story. :stare:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That Steve Harvey impression was so on point too

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Michelle Wolf killin' it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I think that had to be her best bit last night.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've been fine with Michelle Wolf for quite a while, enjoying the way she pretty much broadcasts how she's digging her role, but "Go fix our health care and make me a sandwich, ya sunburnt bitch." was beyond glorious.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I think that had to be her best bit last night.
Serious question: if she still had her curls - would you feel the same about her after that segment?

I mean I personally keep going "cover up that cleavage" (because she looks older than me to my eye) but with the straightened hair she seems a lot less in-your-face or "shrill" etc etc.

If you disagree with me, I'd really love to learn how I have misread her arc on TDSWTN. I kinda think I got exactly what was going on, and it made me feel sad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

coyo7e posted:

Serious question: if she still had her curls - would you feel the same about her after that segment?

Realtalk: I believe I would because I think her delivery is improving massively and she's not hesitating or freezing in front of the camera now. The early performance jitters seem to be out of her system now and it really flows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I actually miss her hair.

I just really liked the whole "Tump is a public servant" bit. The final line was brilliant.

I've never thought she was shrill, in fact I always thought her delivery improved the more outspoken she was on a topic. It was always the setup that made me cringe before, it was always too stand-up delivery. This was the first time she seemed relaxed from start to end.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I mean I personally keep going "cover up that cleavage"

:stare:

I haven't liked all of her bits, but I'm pretty sure this issue is coming from within.

EDIT: Hey, something I failed to articulate, thanks.

bull3964 posted:

It was always the setup that made me cringe before, it was always too stand-up delivery.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Over here in the UK we have a comedian named Frankie Boyle who does an election retrospective show after each election and he did one for the American election where Michelle Wolf was the American guest on to provide the "local view". I didn't realise she was big enough to have an international following but I definitely think she's improving and carving out her own niche from Kristen Schaal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Die Sexmonster! posted:

:stare:

I haven't liked all of her bits, but I'm pretty sure this issue is coming from within.

EDIT: Hey, something I failed to articulate, thanks.
Some folks dig freckly wrinkly boobs.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

coyo7e posted:

Some folks dig freckly wrinkly boobs.
There was her line about polish sausage nipples a little while back that I can't quite forget....

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Roy Wood Jr's Macho Man Randy Savage impression was pretty good

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I think Desi's crying voice is perfect for most of Trump tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Afro posted:

Roy Wood Jr's Macho Man Randy Savage impression was pretty good

That was an amazing Macho, holy poo poo.

• Locked thread