Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
On Jan. 3, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its 15 finalists for the class of 2017. The final class will be revealed the day before the Super Bowl.

To be elected, a finalist must receive at least 80 percent support from the Board, with at least four, but no more than eight, candidates being elected.

The Selection Committee has already inducted three members (Kenny Easley, Senior Nominee; Jerry Jones, Paul Tagliabue, Contributors), so only five members from this year's finalist class can get in.

Here's the complete list of finalists.

Morten Andersen, kicker (Saints/Falcons/Giants/Chiefs/Vikings 1982-2004)

4th year on final ballot. 7 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 1980s and 1990s.

Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jaguars 1995-2001)

1st year on final ballot. 5 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams.

Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Rams 1994-2007, 49ers 2008-09)

1st year on final ballot. 4 Pro Bowls.

Don Coryell, coach (Rams/Chargers, 1973-86)

4th year on final ballot.

Terrell Davis, running back (Broncos, 1995-2001)

3rd year on final ballot. 3 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams. 1998 MVP, 2-time Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998).

Brian Dawkins, safety (Eagles 1996-2008, Broncos 2009-11)

1st year on final ballot. 9 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Alan Faneca, guard (Steelers 1998-2007, Jets 2008-09, Cardinals 2010)

2nd year on final ballot. 9 Pro Bowls, 6 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington 1981-1993)

2nd year on final ballot. 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 1980s.

Ty Law, cornerback (Patriots 1995-2004, Chiefs 2006-07, Jets 2005 and 2008, Broncos 2009)

1st year on final ballot. 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

John Lynch, safety (Bucs 1993-2003, Broncos 2004-07)

4th year on final ballot. 9 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Kevin Mawae, center/guard (Seahawks 1994-97, Jets 1998-2005, Titans 2006-09)

1st year on final ballot. 8 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Terrell Owens, wide receiver (49ers 1996-2003, Eagles 2004-05, Cowboys 2006-08, Bills 2009, Bengals 2010)

2nd year on final ballot. 6 Pro Bowls, 5 All-Pro Teams. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Jason Taylor, defensive end (Dolphins 1997-2007, 2009, 2011; Washington 2008, Jets 2010)

1st year on final ballot. 6 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams. 2006 Defensive Player of the Year. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

LaDainian Tomlinson, running back (Chargers 2001-09, Jets 2010-11)

1st year on final ballot. 5 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro Teams. 2006 MVP, 2006 Offensive Player of the Year. Named to All-Decade Team of 2000s.

Kurt Warner, quarterback (Rams 1998-2003, Giants 2004, Cardinals 2005-09)

3rd year on final ballot. 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro Teams. 2-time MVP (1999, 2001).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Tomlinson
Coryell
Warner
Owens
Dawkins

If Coryell doesn't get in now, he never will

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
LaDainian Tomlinson
Terrell Owens
Jason Taylor
Brian Dawkins
Don Coryell

You should add that Tony Boselli was selected to the National Football League 1990s All-Decade Team. :smug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
LaDainian Tomlinson
Don Coryell
Brian Dawkins
Jason Taylor
Kurt Warner

LdT is a lock, why make him wait. Coryell should have been in twenty years ago and it's a loving shame he's not. Dawkins and Taylor were awesome for extended periods and I'd put them in out of this group, but I'm not sure both will get voted in as first ballot guys over some of the others. Warner I think could have gone in either of the previous two years, but this seems like his best chance to get in.

Of the rest, I'm all for letting kickers/special teamers in, so I'd be fine with Morten at almost any time. Boselli and Davis both seem like the kinds of guys who slip in as senior nominees twenty years down the line (Or if they ever increase the amount of people they induct per year), but I probably wouldn't put them in over most of the other guys here. Issac Bruce was really good for a long time, but I think his case is only a bit better than Boselli and Davis. Terrell Owens should get in before Bruce, and I'd be fine with him over anyone but Tomlinson or Coryell, but I still think the dumb narratives and sports writer/voter vengeance bullshit against his character/antics will hold him up for a while, sadly. Faneca, Mawae, Law, and Lynch I think are all worthy at some point, so I wouldn't be upset if any of them get in this year, I just wouldn't go with them first. Joe Jacoby I have no feelings about one way or another, he's got the benefit of being on all the Redskins Super Bowl teams and the whole Hogs thing going for him, but then again it's taken him this long to get this far in the process, so who knows...

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 4, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm curious where Bruce will stand in the voting. His resume is certainly HOF-worthy, but I have a feeling he'll get stuck in the same logjam that plagues every WR of this current generation.

E: Here's my 5-man ballot, not based on my feelings but how I feel the committee will go. It's much tougher wittling down the candidates than I expected.

Tomlinson
Owens
Coryell
Warner
Dawkins

LdT is the biggest slam dunk since Favre last year. The voters made TO wait a year which is dumb, but in the wake of backlash against the "No Fun League" celebration rules, I think they give him his proper due. Regarding Coryell, as Ross said, it's now or never and I think the voters know that. Warner's peak was too huge to ignore, and he had a peak with two teams.

So it comes down to that fifth and final spot. You could make easy arguments for either Dawkins or Taylor. I think both guys are HOF-worthy, but in the end it comes down to Dawkins having the more highlight hits and playing on prolific Eagles playoff teams, while Taylor toiled with the mediocre Dolphins.

Ehud won't like that argument, but I'm just trying to rationalize from the committee's side, and not my own opinion. Please don't hate me, Phins posters. :ohdear:

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 4, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benne posted:

I'm curious where Bruce will stand in the voting. His resume is certainly HOF-worthy, but I have a feeling he'll get stuck in the same logjam that plagues every WR of this current generation.
I could definitely see him falling through the cracks. He's been eligible for a few years already but only just made the finalist list. He was always a secondary name to Rice/Irvin/Moss/Owens, and it won't be a big gap before the big names afterwards start cropping up.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is Morten ever gonna get in or are voters just using him as a token "we care about kickers" vote while they wait for Vinatieri to become eligible?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How was Kurt not a 1st ballot HOFer? Guy went undrafted then went from stocking groceries to winning MVP and super bowl. Plus he married a single-mom before he was famous and didn't leave her after he found success.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

qkkl posted:

How was Kurt not a 1st ballot HOFer? Guy went undrafted then went from stocking groceries to winning MVP and super bowl. Plus he married a single-mom before he was famous and didn't leave her after he found success.

First ballot HoF guys are guys that have sustained greatness over a long period of time. Warner was a real peak and valley guy

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

qkkl posted:

He had a sharp decline period after his first peak, which led many to declare him a one-off. Then he went to the Cardinals and was awesome again, so it strengthened his case.

I don't really have a hot take on Warner either way, but if you buy into the theory that the HOF should be about the "Fame" part, then it's hard to argue keeping him out. Kurt Warner truly had one of the most fascinating careers of the modern era.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I hope those fuckers put in LdT, TO, Warner, Dawkins and Coryell

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

qkkl posted:

Not sure what any of that besides MVP and Super Bowl have to do with the hall of fame.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If JT isn't first ballot then I'll kill my self

blood will be on your hands, sportswriter for random newspaper

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Anyone but noted loser Coryell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TO should be a lock this year. Jerry Rice is the greatest to step onto the field, but TO & Moss are basically 2A and 2B right behind him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Am I misremembering or did Faneca play most his career at tackle?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

FWIW, PFR has him at left guard every single season, with a few games at center in 1999 and left tackle in 2003.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

swickles posted:

Faneca played the vast majority of his career at LG.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Is Morten ever gonna get in or are voters just using him as a token "we care about kickers" vote while they wait for Vinatieri to become eligible?

No one cares about kickers or pretending to care about kickers.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Mort - greatest NFL player ever. Lock.

Boselli - get lost

Bruce - Peak, longevity, great on good & bad teams, lots of high profile games, championship. Lock.

Coryell - I don't like the fact that they have players and coaches elected from the same pool. It's a bad system. Add in the fact that he's better recognized as a contributor than a Hall of Fame Head coach, and the fact that he's dead - Pass.

Davis - Has an awesome spot in Denver sports history. Broncos ring of honor guy. Respectful pass.

Dawkins - the most versatile safety I've ever seen. Ed Reed deep safety with smarts plus corner cover skills, but with size and Ronnie Lott's love of contact... could man up on outside receivers, play deep, tackled Barry Sanders in the open field, incredible blitz timing, forced fumbles at a rate unseen in any other safety. Incredible generational player, the kind of guy the Hall was built to honor. Lock.

Faneca - Faneca was special. Smooth, tough, great finisher, awesome off the ball, awesome pull guard with some of the best feet I've ever seen, loved watching him play. Lock.

Law - I've been thinking about it and I feel pretty comfortable with Law's case. I think guys on dynastic/legendary teams need to be scrutinized especially hard... but Law was a great playmaker, had longevity, shut down the likes of Marvin Harrison. He can wait a little while, but Lock.

Jacoby - Never saw Jacoby. The kind of guy who needs to be extra scrutinized because of the teams he was a part of, but won't be and may eventually squirm his way in. Dr. Z liked him as a run blocking tackle who loved to finish, but had a lot more praise for the likes of Mike Kenn - who didn't the good fortune to play on the 80s Skins. Pass.

Lynch - Really good player, I personally see him as a borderline guy who gets a little extra glow from being on that Bucs team and his high media profile. Being in the same class as Dawk isn't doing him any favors. At the same time I wouldn't be outraged if they enshrined one of the best downhill safeties ever. Lock.

Mawae - Lock.

Owens - Try and think of players in the league right now who look like T.O. when you watch them. Lock.

Taylor - I think the DPOY clinched him a spot. There were times watching Taylor when he looked like the most dominant player in the league, and times when he looked like just a guy. I'm fine with him getting in eventually though, Lock.

Tomlinson - Lock.

Warner - 2008 locked him in.

If I could pick five, I'd go Bruce, Ladainian, Dawk, TO, Warner. I don't love inducting two WRs but I feel like you just need to get these guys in there now to make things easier down the line.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I really have no idea why Coryell isn't in already. Guy created the passing system that literally every team uses or uses a variation of.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Terrel owens was on the Seahwks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Terrel owens was on the Seahwks

Just like Jerry Rice was on the Broncos

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
joe jacoby's claim to fame is getting bitched by LT every time they played together

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

joe jacoby's claim to fame is getting bitched by LT every time they played together

Which was the reason why the Skins traded for Jim Lachey in 1988, basically. Now if there's a Redskin o-lineman from that era that really deserves to be in the HoF, there ya go.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

qkkl posted:

Warner had such a bizarre career. Comes out of nowhere at 28 with the 99 Rams to win MVP and SBMVP. Has a great followup season in 2000 but gets hurt, and his backup does extremely well forcing a lot of questions about how important Warner really was. Warner comes back and wins the 2001 MVP with an outstanding year, and despite the loss he played really well in the Superbowl. Then he gets hurt, doesnt play well when healthy, Rams go with Bulger who looks good. At the same time, Trent Green does very well in KC which refutes some of the system talk. So for all that he basically looked really good for 2.5 seasons before turning back into a pumpkin, and over the next few years he's known for fumbling a lot and being the stopgap starter for the Giants before they went with Eli and the Cardinals when they were planning to go to Leinart. Leinart sucks, Warner has a total renaissance 6 years after his last good season and adds just enough . Still we're talking about a guy who was not good outside of 6 years, 2 of those seasons being ones where he only started 11 games, and benefited from a ridiculous offense around him in St. Louis with Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt, and then had a ridiculous receiver combo in Arizona with Fitzgerald and Boldin... but then it's the same guy who, if he doesn't get hurt in 2000, arguably has the best 3 year stretch of any player ever and is one of the more accomplished playoff performers of all time.

He's going to get in for sure. I don't think many people are deadset against him, but there's good reason why there's some apprehension, and I don't mind that he's not 1st ballot.

Elephanthead posted:

No one cares about kickers or pretending to care about kickers.
This!

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Darth Brooks posted:

I really have no idea why Coryell isn't in already. Guy created the passing system that literally every team uses or uses a variation of.

If he gets in Coryell would easily have the weakest resume of any modern era head coach in the Hall.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm hoping most people recognize Warner's troubles in NY were probably due to a ton of concussions from hits taken in the st louis system. Back then concussions weren't a 'thing' but it's pretty obvious that's why he couldn't do anything for a while

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I'm hoping most people recognize Warner's troubles in NY were probably due to a ton of concussions from hits taken in the st louis system. Back then concussions weren't a 'thing' but it's pretty obvious that's why he couldn't do anything for a while

He got concussed some, but him trying to play through a broken thumb was what really did him in for the Rams. (and IIRC that was why he always played with gloves on for the rest of his career after that)

He didn't even play that badly for the Giants either; he took a shitload of sacks but they were pretty firmly in contention for a playoff berth before Eli got put in and tanked the rest of their year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Playing bad football from too many concussions doesn't seem like a positive hall of fame talent.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DNS posted:

If he gets in Coryell would easily have the weakest resume of any modern era head coach in the Hall.

That's why he should be included as a contributer, but the hall is dumb

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Why does Leroy Butler keep getting snubbed despite having better stats than Lynch?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
safeties are historically overlooked by the committee. leroy butler had a better peak and lynch had the longevity.

also john lynch is a white folk hero.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

corn on the cop posted:

also john lynch is a white folk hero.

There it is.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lynch was maybe the 6th most important member of that defense. In general I think writers are pretty clueless to safety play the same way they are on offensive line play and will either go with the name (which is hard to get if you aren't a high draft pick) or just pick someone from a good defense. You can have guys like Roy Williams, Brandon Meriweather, etc. be highly rated while being negative value to their teams.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope Lynch gets in but I hope all Bucs finalists get in :downs:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Steve Atwater is going to be waiting forever.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They haven't put in a safety after Lott, who started off as a CB himself. That's a lot of time in between him and Dawkins. You can count Rod Woodson who converted later in his career but that seems like cheating. So one Hall of Fame safety since the beginning of the 80's, although that's going to change in a hurry with Dawkins, Reed and Polamalu up soon.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't taken a look at all the finalists yet but please put Don Coryell in, if only because this entry on his wikipedia page is so sad: "The Professional Football Researchers Association named Coryell to the PRFA Hall of Very Good Class of 2010"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

corn on the cop posted:

Steve Atwater is going to be waiting forever.

I have a feeling he's going to be one of those guys who gets reappraised in like 15 years and goes in as a Senior Inductee.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread