Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What is the maths form of dyslexia?
It's called dyscalculia, and it works similarly. You swap numbers, you get them wrong, you occasionally do 2+2=5 without any interrogation being involved. Depending on the severity of your condition, it can screw with a lot more, from telling left and right apart, forgetting the orders of the months and getting your own age wrong for over a month. It's also known as mathematical disorder, and it's far less known than dyslexia. It's not even in chrome's spellcheck, the bastards.

Wait, what’s that about your age?
Yep, I thought I was a year younger than I was for over a month until my mother realised it and corrected me. I’m one of the most severe cases you can get!

I’m bad at maths! Do I have dyscalculia?
No clue! I’m not a qualified professional. But if my answers sound familiar, and you find your inability to maths is interfering with some bit of your life, go get tested! At worst you will be told you are completely normal, and what goon doesn’t desire that once in life?

If people with this or other forms of dyslexia want to pitch in for the education of the masses and/or commiseration, I think that’d be a great!

Ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
What kind of therapy or treatment is available for this, and has it helped you much?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Thuryl posted:

What kind of therapy or treatment is available for this, and has it helped you much?

For dyscalculia, I haven't heard of many treatments available over here or abroad since it tends to be shoved to the side for dyslexia. I was lucky just to stumble into an which picked up on it while undergoing other testing. Unfortunately, there's no medication or magic cure, but tutoring can help a little in drilling some of the concepts in. I had tutoring every year prediagnosis just to try and get me through school, and although it didn't help very much, I'm able to use basic mathematical terms and understand them in the broadest sense. I can tell you what a minus sign is, etc., I just can't use them properly.

However, with me personally that's about my limit. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but the closest way for how I see numbers is I show you these two squares:

❏ ❏

And then I tell you one of these is a triangle. You go: "Uh, they're loving squares, mate."

But I'm definite one of those is a triangle, and I describe to you a triangle and a square. I show you pictures of triangles, and discuss the long history of triangles, and possibly the symbolic impact of triangles in art. In the end, you understand what a triangle is and how it functions, but you still see two identical squares. That's me. All numbers are interchangeable and meaningless squares in my head, so sometimes I'll get it right and sometimes I'll get it wrong when I try to use numbers because I can never quite work out what symbols I'm meant to be seeing and using.

Especially 6 and 9, and 3 and 8. Those are especially bad and easy to reverse for me.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
If you see seven apples on a kitchen counter, can you count them?

What about roman numerals, can you deal with them?

You mentioned in the BFC thread that you have a history degree. How do you deal with all the years and dates there?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for making this thread! I hope I don't get too personal. Please feel free to ignore any question you don't want to answer.

I always assumed that even without this abstract naming system, if I gave someone who couldn't count ten apples and then they ate a few, they can still know how many are left. If I take a few away, you'd realise some where missing.

My question is, can you differentiate between amounts visually? Can you differentiate between something that is heavy and something that is large? Have you ever seen this experiment called conservation task: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o?

quote:

Especially 6 and 9, and 3 and 8. Those are especially bad and easy to reverse for me.

I have trouble with differentiating 69 from 96, especially in larger numbers (369 vs 396) but that's because I think I have reading dyslexia. Can you read them though either out loud or in your head? Can you recognise the "6" shape character as equaling the name "six"?

This might be a weird question but when you read a book, do you hear words or do you see words? This is in regards to sub-vocalisation. How fast are you at reading?

How do people react when they find out about your condition? (Do they ask a heap of questions like me?)

Thanks!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Per posted:

If you see seven apples on a kitchen counter, can you count them?

What about roman numerals, can you deal with them?

You mentioned in the BFC thread that you have a history degree. How do you deal with all the years and dates there?

1) I can try, and most of the time I'll get it right, but sometimes I'll get it wrong. The more items there are the harder it is. I don't really get two wrong when it comes to counting physical items, but once you get above five there's the risk I'll start skipping or reversing numbers.
2) Roman numerals work the same, as do foreign numerals. It's easier for me to write numbers than digits: I read two better than 2.
3)

It was a bit messy in the first year, as it took me a couple of semesters to master the methods I'd need to deal with it. A lot of it was just proofreading over and over again to spot any obvious mistakes. I avoided any courses which relied on quizzes or multiple choice, and instead focused on those which used essays for assessments. This let me rely on my understanding of essay structures and thoroughness over my ability to regurgitate on-the-spot timelines.

I may end up telling you a war started in the year 30000, or get the date wrong, but to make sure that I could prove I knew what I was talking about I was careful to describe both the event itself and the circumstances preceding it or following, even if sometimes it read as padding, which generally cancelled out any lost marks. In a straight quiz of 'Give the date of this event' I'm hopeless, but I can do 'Describe what happened in this event and the causes.'

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
How do you go buy things? What I mean is, how do you know that you have enough money or what to hand the cashier?

How do you handle things like your personal budget? Just something simple like looking for an apartment you can afford sounds impossible with your diagnosis.

Have you ever had to negotiate a wage and if so, how do you do it?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanks for making this thread! I hope I don't get too personal. Please feel free to ignore any question you don't want to answer.

I always assumed that even without this abstract naming system, if I gave someone who couldn't count ten apples and then they ate a few, they can still know how many are left. If I take a few away, you'd realise some where missing.

My question is, can you differentiate between amounts visually? Can you differentiate between something that is heavy and something that is large? Have you ever seen this experiment called conservation task: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o?

I have trouble with differentiating 69 from 96, especially in larger numbers (369 vs 396) but that's because I think I have reading dyslexia. Can you read them though either out loud or in your head? Can you recognise the "6" shape character as equaling the name "six"?

This might be a weird question but when you read a book, do you hear words or do you see words? This is in regards to sub-vocalisation. How fast are you at reading?

How do people react when they find out about your condition? (Do they ask a heap of questions like me?)

Thanks!

Ask everything you want! That's why I made it.

1) I can visually differentiate between large and heavy, and a lot of items versus a small amount of items. However, anything that relates to translating visual information into spatial reasoning in my head is a lot more difficult. I walk to 'The building down the road', but I can't properly estimate the length of distance between myself and the building. I actually can't read maps at all, because I can't translate the 2D images to a 3D understanding in my head. If you look at a map and want to be able to use it, you have to be able to get a sense of the proportions of the buildings and your own position, but I can't place myself or analyse the length of the street or count the buildings.

This also applies to video games, and I loathe any game with a minimap or a map which doesn't have a dot representing where you are and arrows pointing in the right direction. I can't use directions like "in three streets, turn left," so for using GPS, I just follow the arrow to my destination and I'm never actually looking at the map itself: Arrow says go this way, I walk that way until it moves again.

2) I understand the concepts of the numbers in the vaguest sense. It's similar to being able to see a foreign script and recognise 'That's Chinese!' without being able to actually read it. So, if you pointed at the number 6 and said 'Read this,' I might read it right, or I might say 8, since they're basically identical symbols to me... Sorry if this isn't a useful answer, it's a difficult concept to try and communicate. A bit like a colour blind person discussing purple, I imagine?

3) I sight-read rather than read the voices in my head. My condition is laser-targeted directly into numeracy and spatial reasoning, and I'm above-average in all literacy and articulation in everything that doesn't involve numbers. I'm actually an incredibly fast and accurate reader, and I can easily burn through a long book in a small amount of time. Reading's a good hobby of mine!

4) I try to avoid discussing it whenever possible in real life, because a lot of people go from 'politely interested' - which I don't mind at all!- right into 'Starting to talk really slowly and use small words, and otherwise acting as though I just admitted to being two toddlers stacked up in a coat.' I also face being dismissed a lot, since I present as otherwise neurotypical, with lots of accusations of not trying hard enough or just being lazy, or exaggerating my condition and difficulties. However, my friends do know, and I don't mind talking about it so much online where I can just call people motherfuckers and be impolite!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for answering.

quote:

3) I sight-read rather than read the voices in my head. My condition is laser-targeted directly into numeracy and spatial reasoning, and I'm above-average in all literacy and articulation in everything that doesn't involve numbers. I'm actually an incredibly fast and accurate reader, and I can easily burn through a long book in a small amount of time. Reading's a good hobby of mine!
What are your favorite books? Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

MettleRamiel posted:

How do you go buy things? What I mean is, how do you know that you have enough money or what to hand the cashier?

How do you handle things like your personal budget? Just something simple like looking for an apartment you can afford sounds impossible with your diagnosis.

Have you ever had to negotiate a wage and if so, how do you do it?

I use a card for everything about $5, and this prevents me from handing over the wrong amount of cash. Before I worked purely with cards, especially as a teenager, I did get ripped off a bit by more than one person and made some taxi drivers very happy.

I rely a lot on familiarity and auto-deductions/benefits for all my bills, so instead of knowing I have $5 for a doughnut, I know I can buy a doughnut on this day because I buy one every week. Since everything is electronically done, I get emails on certain days reminding me that a bill is being paid, or that I have a payday so I can at least check and make sure it's functioning normally. Any unexpected costs do gently caress with my day to day life immensely since I rely so much on habit, and if I'm buying anything I don't usually buy it's a bit of a hassle. I'll neurotically and constantly check my balance between purchases because I can't track in my head how much I have spent/how much I have left. I don't keep a proper budget because my attempts at doing so failed pretty much out the gate.

I haven't had to negotiate a wage. If I do in the future, I'll likely go to a financial adviser and try to get all the paperwork done with them/work out what my wage should be/etc. based on the market so that I can rely on something written by someone else.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanks for answering.

What are your favorite books? Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books?

I've read Snow Crash by him. Lemme see. My favourite books that I read in 2016 would be:

For fantasy, it's a toss up. N. K. Jemisin's Fifth Season duo are books so very depressing that I had to put them down at times, make myself a cup of tea and shout "Come the gently caress on!" at my cats gently before resuming. It's a long series of gut punches, and if you like examinations of institutional racism and abuse, child abuse and murder, holocausts, oppression, discrimination and misery under a thin facade of well-written fantasy, it's definitely a ride. For non-misery fantasy, I like all of Catherynne M. Valente's books that I've read except for Palimpset. That one was self-indulgent to the point of boredom: Pretty imagery is nice, but it needs substance! Her YA fairyland series is good for all ages, she's got the writing chops and turn of phrases to make it enjoyable on a lot of levels, and I've really been digging Radiance.

The long way to a small, angry planet by Becky Chambers was probably my favourite soft sci-fi book of the year, with some imaginative aliens and a proper adventure romp across the galaxy. I think I described it to a friend as similar to Firefly, only without Joss Whedon's women issues and foot fetishes? Ann Leckie's Ancillary series would be the runner up with the way it challenges pronoun norms and gender identity, but it's a lot meatier and cerebral. I read the Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee and The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, but both contained enough hard science/maths that I couldn't properly enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

I didn't read much horror in 2016 but 'In the Miso Soup' by Ryu Murakami is an older favourite, and it's one of those rare books capable of building a creepy atmosphere and horror tone without resorting to cheap tricks. Non-fiction is Mary Roach's Spook book, since I enjoy a good educational comedy.

Honestly I could go on all day about books.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Could I ask about what the testing is like? I've always suspected I had it after it was suggested by a maths teacher in high school that I do as it would explain a few things, and so much of what you say mirrors me to a T. Love reading, well above average literacy skills, always confusing left and right, can't do anything with numbers or remembering directions to save my life. Unlike you though, I always confuse 7 and 9 and 6 and 8. People asking me to read phone or credit card numbers is one of the banes of my life.

My parents can't relate at all - my dad has synaesthesia (the type where he sees numbers as colours) and a PhD in maths, so it has never been an issue for him, and my mum is pretty good with numbers as well.

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)
I am a fan of word puzzles and word games, note I say fan rather than any good at.

As you are good at written comprehension do you have an easier time spotting the problem with

one two three five six seven eight nine

than

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

for example?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Subhu Man posted:

I am a fan of word puzzles and word games, note I say fan rather than any good at.

As you are good at written comprehension do you have an easier time spotting the problem with

than

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

for example?

Subhu Man, this is not the place for you to try and get sweet sudoku tips and tricks!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
So you're bad at numeracy and mathematical operations, but what about logic? Stuff like: "You have three groups, X Y and Z. Group Y contains all things in Group X that aren't in Group Z. All things in Group Z are in Group X. What does Group X contain?" There were some fancy methods and terminology to write this stuff but I don't remember it and all it did was add to my confusion anyway.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Maybe I've missed it, but do you drive? Would you be allowed to if you wanted to? (I'm thinking of all the numbers on signs, like speed limits).

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Whitlam posted:

Could I ask about what the testing is like...

I know the feeling about that! My mother's a medical coder, so all she does is input numbers all day long. That sounds very familiar to what I have, especially the credit card numbers.

Mine took about five or six hours, and it was a full day long neuropsychological test, but don't be intimidated by that. They gave me a lunch break in the middle. They tested everything from attention span via clickers and computer programs (click here when you see this, those type of activities), reciting word lists, completing mazes, weird logic puzzles, do you know the meaning of this word, can you tell these symbols/colours apart, etc. A lot of it you'll likely recognise from school tasks: Completing mazes, attempting basic english and maths work, can you remember these facts after five minutes?

Imagine a semester's worth of school exams shoved into one day. On top of that, they were judging my psychological state and how I reacted to the puzzles, how long my attention span and patience lasted, my fatigue, etc. A little, but it was mostly as part of my mental functioning. All up it worked out my dyscalculia to a tee and the co-morbid problems, gave me a full set of official documents explaining my condition and a formal diagnosis. It picks out ADHD and other conditions, too, if you have them.

To make it cheaper, I did it as part of a student training program on the side of the neuropyschs, so see if your local universities have that option. The senior students need someone to test to be examined, and you like spending less money! It's the 'letting a hairdresser trainee do the work' of psychological trauma, and they're supervised by a fully qualified professional the entire time, so it's just a discount on the process.

Subhu Man posted:

than

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

for example?

A little better, but tbh I had to count on my fingers to work out the problem with your list because it looked fine when I read it, so still not exactly winning.

Boksi posted:

So you're bad at numeracy and mathematical operations, but what about logic? Stuff like: "You have three groups, X Y and Z. Group Y contains all things in Group X that aren't in Group Z. All things in Group Z are in Group X. What does Group X contain?" There were some fancy methods and terminology to write this stuff but I don't remember it and all it did was add to my confusion anyway.

Logic's mostly fine as long as it doesn't rely on 'There's seven thousand dogs in this paddock.' I can do word riddles, the sheep/wolf eating puzzle, and I even actually did fine on some of the logical parts of economic theory in highschool. However, if the end result is working out how much there is of something, or how much is left of something, or anything like that, there's a good chance I'll get the logic right but the answer wrong. I'll follow the steps but fail to make it to the end as I start to forget what amounts I'm dealing with.

Per posted:

Maybe I've missed it, but do you drive? Would you be allowed to if you wanted to? (I'm thinking of all the numbers on signs, like speed limits).

There was no official "THIS WOMAN MUST NEVER BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE!" But when I tried to learn with a professional learner agency, it went, well, poorly. I couldn't read or judge my own speed or the speed signs, I kept getting confused on which street was the right side, and how far I was from objects/the angles I was on. So after a few lessons of disasters I decided to save a life (possibly my own) and swap to public transport. I really wish I could drive, but it's just too dangerous.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Do you have trouble where numbers are part of a word or concept but understanding the concept doesn't really hinge on the exact amount?

Like for example, 'Can you pick up a 6-pack for me?', I don't really think about buying 6 beers, just the container that the beers come in.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I understand the concept, but there's a chance I'll mishear the numbers involved. So you might say 'Pick up a 6-pack,' but by the time I reach the store what I remember is 'Pick up a 12-pack.' You'll get your beer, but in the wrong pack!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Do you know anything about the neuroscience behind this phenomenon? You having problem with spatial thinking/distances and numbers suggest that these two things rely on the same mechanisms in the brain, right?

It reminds me of how kids are usually thought numbers and addition/subtraction on a number line first.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Do you know anything about the neuroscience behind this phenomenon? You having problem with spatial thinking/distances and numbers suggest that these two things rely on the same mechanisms in the brain, right?

It reminds me of how kids are usually thought numbers and addition/subtraction on a number line first.

I'm afraid I don't, and I wish I did! I'm not familiar with the neuroscience field, and I never really stumble across it in the media or news. I admit sometimes I still hope a scientist will kick in the door and go: "We fixed it! Take this pill and learn your timetables!"

If anyone is familiar, chime in and I will appreciate it.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Could you say more about what methods and exercises have helped you learn (even a little bit of) math in the past, if any? I'm curious because I'm a teacher and I've had a student with dyscalculia before - it seemed much more mild than yours, but I still always wondered if I was working with her in a way that helped her.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

God Over Djinn posted:

Could you say more about what methods and exercises have helped you learn (even a little bit of) math in the past, if any? I'm curious because I'm a teacher and I've had a student with dyscalculia before - it seemed much more mild than yours, but I still always wondered if I was working with her in a way that helped her.

I'll try my best! Focusing on the theories first worked better with me, because I couldn't learn easily via examples. The method of say how thing works briefly > give examples to underline didn't work, because I couldn't follow the examples. The most successful teacher I had tried to avoid numbers as much as possible and instead focused on logic as the base work. Without her, I wouldn't have any grasp whatsoever because by the time I hit high school it was firmly in the case of briefly explain thing > do a bunch of worksheets. For example, with teaching how to read an analogue clock, focusing on what the arrows represented rather than what numbers they were pointing to, and even using a numberless clock so I'd get the feel of 'which direction they're pointing' to start with rather than 'this is the number they're pointing at.'

Well, for example, if I look at a clock I can see 1-4-5 and NOT notice I've skipped 2. But I have a much better sense if I look at the arrow and I go 'the arrow is pointing to this area.'

Although I'm not sure if that's any help. I had a lot of schooling problems because maths teachers thought I was lazy and unmotivated, or stupid, especially as I failed every maths class from year 3 onwards, and with tutoring I was just taught the same things over and over again at a much slower pace until theory lodged in my head. So, if you can, try to make sure they realize they're not idiots if they can't keep up with the rest of the class or by the end of highschool it's likely they'll skip constantly and never even try. cough.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deathbot posted:

I'm afraid I don't, and I wish I did! I'm not familiar with the neuroscience field, and I never really stumble across it in the media or news. I admit sometimes I still hope a scientist will kick in the door and go: "We fixed it! Take this pill and learn your timetables!"

If anyone is familiar, chime in and I will appreciate it.

This is a good read if you're interested - gets into a distinction between quantitative sense - which based on your clock story, yours might be fine - and counting, which obviously you have a lot of trouble with. No pills though :) https://www.amazon.com/Number-Sense-Mind-Creates-Mathematics/dp/0195132408

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I looked this up a while back and realized it described a lot of issues I have, but at this point have never felt the need to get tested to make it official. I have all sorts of trouble with basic math due to transposing numbers without noticing, but in school once I got past arithmetic and into algebra and whatnot as long as I was doing formulas with letters I had a lot less trouble oddly enough.

Mostly I just avoid math whenever possible -- I use my phone's calculator for even the most basic stuff and never try to do any mental calculation. At work I use excel or write everything down that I need to calculate so that I can check my work rigorously and since I have to double or triple-check everything it takes me a long time to do anything dealing with numbers and unfortunately I get stuck with a lot of light accounting. I can't handle being interrupted when I'm working on that kind of stuff either, there's no way I can go back to where I was and always have to start over from the beginning :negative:

I also have trouble with left and right -- I was giving someone directions and he kinda knew that the next turn was a left turn but asked me to verify, and I pointed directly at the road coming up on the left and said "yeah it's on the right" :cripes: Now I don't even try I just point, because generally I can point at the right direction even though something gets mixed up when I have to verbalize it. Spatial recognition is definitely an issue; I can't handle landmark directions at all. I can picture the individual landmarks but can't organize them in relationship to where I am or to each other. I can however read maps and am fine as long as I have street names, but I do get turned around very easily and cardinal directions are practically meaningless to me.

I think recognizing it as an actual disorder was helpful for learning to cope, I'd always just thought I was bad at math and kind of silly/airheaded about the other stuff but finding out that they're connected finally made things make sense and it was easier to learn how to manage and work around it. It also helps when I make an embarrassing mistake to have a way to explain it. I do wish I'd learned about it earlier in life, I think it would have helped a lot when I was in school to have had a diagnosis because my parents just thought I needed to study more and didn't understand why I could do things like have a perfect ACT score in English and have a math score that barely qualified for college.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 7, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

deathbot posted:

Well, for example, if I look at a clock I can see 1-4-5 and NOT notice I've skipped 2. But I have a much better sense if I look at the arrow and I go 'the arrow is pointing to this area.'
This definitely helps! I have trouble with analog clocks as well and looking at the hands makes more sense than looking at the numbers.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

slap me silly posted:

This is a good read if you're interested - gets into a distinction between quantitative sense - which based on your clock story, yours might be fine - and counting, which obviously you have a lot of trouble with. No pills though :) https://www.amazon.com/Number-Sense-Mind-Creates-Mathematics/dp/0195132408
Same author but this looks to be a scientific review article:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-0017.00154/pdf

Not sure if the above link is accessible if you're outside of a university.

deathbot: Let me know if you want to read the above article but can't

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Could you do a Sudoku if, instead of using numbers 1-9, it used letters A-I, or any set of symbols that aren't numbers?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

PT6A posted:

Could you do a Sudoku if, instead of using numbers 1-9, it used letters A-I, or any set of symbols that aren't numbers?
I'm curious about the answer to this, and if you a Windows computer, Microsoft Sudoku is free and has symbol Sudoku:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/microsoft-sudoku/9wzdncrfhv60
(Personally I find symbol Sudoku much more annoying than with numbers, since it's much more difficult to know what symbols are missing from an area.)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Do you have trouble reading single letters? For example, O, G, g, I, b, Z, they all look like numbers.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

Same author but this looks to be a scientific review article:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-0017.00154/pdf

Not sure if the above link is accessible if you're outside of a university.

deathbot: Let me know if you want to read the above article but can't

I can't read it, alas! My university apparently isn't with them.

PT6A posted:

twodot posted:

I'm curious about the answer to this, and if you a Windows computer, Microsoft Sudoku is free and has symbol Sudoku:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/microsoft-sudoku/9wzdncrfhv60
(Personally I find symbol Sudoku much more annoying than with numbers, since it's much more difficult to know what symbols are missing from an area.)

I played a little bit of the symbol Sudoku. It was definitely easier than the number version (in that I wasn't immediately incapable of doing it) but I wasn't very good at it! IDK if that's dyscalculia, or me just sucking at sudoku.

married but discreet posted:

Do you have trouble reading single letters? For example, O, G, g, I, b, Z, they all look like numbers.

Nope, I have zero trouble with any letters and I'm well above average in reading. They don't look or feel like numbers at all to me.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
You need to add someone's phone number into your phone or make a call to a new number. What happens in this situation?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Scudworth posted:

You need to add someone's phone number into your phone or make a call to a new number. What happens in this situation?

A great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If it's possible to do it seamlessly, I'll try and make the other person enter their own phone number into my phone, or have them text me. Otherwise I'll just do my best and make sure to repeat it back to them, slowly, in case I've hosed up. Which I do, a lot. Many a random company or person has received a call from me asking for a completely different business because I transposed a number.

I use email and websites, and avoid phone numbers, wherever possible.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Have you been exposed to any other math subjects that seem easier or harder? Like in grade school you just get the types of math that seem to be the most difficult for dyscalculics (counting, arithmetic, geometry) while in university you can do things like boolian logic, and uhhh, weird knot theory stuff? I didn't go far in the weird math part of my schooling. Probably makes it stupidly hard if you have trouble with quantities/numerals even if the subject itself is something you could process.

Ever try learning another language? If so, how'd it go?

Have you had any problems with sexist comments? I think you mentioned that you are a woman if BFC and I wonder if you've had any issues.
I'm asking partially because I'm an engineer and had a lot of experiences in uni about how since I was "the girl" I should do all the writing... when in fact I had to take the uni's English literacy test ... and failed it once.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Jyrraeth posted:

Have you been exposed to any other math subjects that seem easier or harder? Like in grade school you just get the types of math that seem to be the most difficult for dyscalculics (counting, arithmetic, geometry) while in university you can do things like boolian logic, and uhhh, weird knot theory stuff? I didn't go far in the weird math part of my schooling. Probably makes it stupidly hard if you have trouble with quantities/numerals even if the subject itself is something you could process.

Ever try learning another language? If so, how'd it go?

Have you had any problems with sexist comments? I think you mentioned that you are a woman if BFC and I wonder if you've had any issues.
I'm asking partially because I'm an engineer and had a lot of experiences in uni about how since I was "the girl" I should do all the writing... when in fact I had to take the uni's English literacy test ... and failed it once.

I've avoided maths as much as possible since the minute I could drop it, so I have no exposure to higher level maths. Imagine me throwing up the sign of the cross and hissing "Back, devil!" at the sight of anything with numbers in it, and you've got about my attitude to getting near them. Unlike what I know of some American universities, most Australian universities assume you have a general knowledge from high school. There's no general, unrelated-to-your-degree first year courses you have to take, so I jumped right into English and History units and didn't touch a single maths or science course in my entire time there.

I think we've all faced sexist comments! But yeah, if I don't explain and I struggle with something around guys, I have had people go "Oh right, you're a GIRL," to explain to themselves why I can't do the task, or reassuring me that women are just bad at maths naturally, etc.

I can read middle English smoothly, and I've been meaning to pick up Latin. I have no head/tongue for accents (unrelated to dyscalculia, I'm just bad at it) but I have good recall of foreign words I've read as long as I don't have to learn a new alphabet.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My wife has a possibly milder form of this. She very regularly mixes up numbers and there is about even odds if she goes to pay for a parking space in the machine she will mix around numbers and pay for 4553 instead of 4535. The biggest problem is she has basically no conception of left and right, and all of the attempts to get her to make an 'L' with her left hand to figure out which way is left backfire because both hands make Ls. I've never seen her write an L character backwards, so obviously there is some connection that works differently when you trigger the spatial reasoning part, and she claims she has zero problems with traditional word dyslexia which I can believe because she was a professional writing editor for years and that would probably have come up.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My wife has a possibly milder form of this. She very regularly mixes up numbers and there is about even odds if she goes to pay for a parking space in the machine she will mix around numbers and pay for 4553 instead of 4535. The biggest problem is she has basically no conception of left and right, and all of the attempts to get her to make an 'L' with her left hand to figure out which way is left backfire because both hands make Ls. I've never seen her write an L character backwards, so obviously there is some connection that works differently when you trigger the spatial reasoning part, and she claims she has zero problems with traditional word dyslexia which I can believe because she was a professional writing editor for years and that would probably have come up.

My girlfriend has some pretty similar issues: anything that requires either spatial reasoning or putting items in a specific order is difficult for her. She survived a near drowning as a child, which has been linked to learning disabilities, but although she's fine with writing herself her dad's dyslexic so I wonder if there might also be some genetic component.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
deathbot try this link:
http://docdro.id/dC9DPEh

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My girlfriend is the same, there has to be some genetic factor involved... Anyway the way she does it is to flick-click her hand, which everyone makes a noise is her right. As a kid whatever hand I right with is my write, it also helped that in the religion I grew up in sometimes would beat you for using your left hand.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can you elaborate on how you mix up left and right? I can't really imagine what it's like. Do you look on the right side and mistakenly think it's the left? What happens, if someone asks you to raise your right hand?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Can you elaborate on how you mix up left and right? I can't really imagine what it's like. Do you look on the right side and mistakenly think it's the left? What happens, if someone asks you to raise your right hand?

They're just the same to me. Mostly I raise the right hand, but that's because I'm raising my dominant hand, not because I recognise it as my right. If you asked me to point, plenty of times I've pointed the wrong way to turn on a street towards a home I've lived in for five+ years. Left and right are just easily muddled for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

deathbot posted:

A great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If it's possible to do it seamlessly, I'll try and make the other person enter their own phone number into my phone, or have them text me. Otherwise I'll just do my best and make sure to repeat it back to them, slowly, in case I've hosed up. Which I do, a lot. Many a random company or person has received a call from me asking for a completely different business because I transposed a number.

I use email and websites, and avoid phone numbers, wherever possible.

For what it's worth you can look up a company through Google and copy and paste or directly click on their phone number for calls. That's generally my go to system for making calls to businesses.

• Locked thread