Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope I'll be able to watch the coin get flipped live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

Wikipedia says 1,075,206 R to 1,306,384 D.

lol

the abortion of justice isn't control of the virginia house of delegates being determined by coin flip, it's control of the virginia house of delegate being determined by coin flip after votes went 200,000 in favor of democratic candidates

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Venuz Patrol posted:

the abortion of justice isn't control of the virginia house of delegates being determined by coin flip, it's control of the virginia house of delegate being determined by coin flip after votes went 200,000 in favor of democratic candidates

The good news is that the biggest win has already been won: the GOP won't be able to gerrymander VA again in 2020. Everything on top of that is icing.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
This whole situation is a loving mess. Obviously I hope we win the coin flip (:what:), and I hope Northam goes through with the plan regardless, but if we lose, I'm hoping he doubles down hard on the "Appoint GOP delegates/senators to useless administrative posts to force special elections" move. What a loving travesty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why did anyone assume the result would be anything but the most ridiculous one?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

This whole situation is a loving mess. Obviously I hope we win the coin flip (:what:), and I hope Northam goes through with the plan regardless, but if we lose, I'm hoping he doubles down hard on the "Appoint GOP delegates/senators to useless administrative posts to force special elections" move. What a loving travesty.

Why would they accept those appointments? Sounds like a pipe dream.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

yronic heroism posted:

Greed? They pay a lot more.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

yronic heroism posted:

In addition to

Sanguinia posted:

Greed? They pay a lot more.

, people earlier in the thread guessed that they might because of worry that the wave will continue, making some of the seats questionable-to-potentially-unfavorable reelection-wise come the next election in 2 years. Also presumably because the governorship is a term of four years, not only would they get paid more, but they'd get paid for longer before having to worry about an election.

I don't claim to be well-versed in the intricacies of politics, but it seems like it's a possibility, if nothing else because they might not want to go down with Trump's ship. Besides, pipe dream or not, this year showed that hope is not a lie, so if it's all the same to you I'll just keep on hoping until given a definitive reason not to.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well this was some news to wake up to. :sigh:

When's the coin flip?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

axeil posted:

Well this was some news to wake up to. :sigh:

When's the coin flip?

https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/943850248237211648

Next week.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Will it be on pay-per-view?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i hope the political betting sites open the event up for bidding

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Probably for 2018 Special Election thread, but MS Senator Thad Cochran may be retiring soon, meaning there's a regular senate election and a special jungle election for his replacement next November.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Probably for 2018 Special Election thread, but MS Senator Thad Cochran may be retiring soon, meaning there's a regular senate election and a special jungle election for his replacement next November.

Yeah, I have an op written for a 2018 thread but I was waiting until the last recounts for this year wound down before putting it up. Of course now that's going to take extra time because chaos reigns apparently :rolleyes:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Guess what?

The coin flip tomorrow is postponed because the Dem is suing about that extra counted ballot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e4c9d2d17049

WaPo posted:

In her motion, Simonds asserts that the panel made a “clear legal error … [that] ran contrary to Virginia law” by counting the disputed ballot. “This is really about the integrity of elections in Virginia,” she told reporters. She accused Yancey, a six-year incumbent, of trying to do “an end run” around proper election procedures.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 27, 2017

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Best to do everything you can before you get to the literal coin flip, hopefully it works out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Regarding the coin flip, is my memory of this correct?

1. Election certified R-win, D-lose, but within margin of error to force automatic recount.
2. State election law dictates you get one recount to certify and said recount starts.
3. During recount, a ballot was discussed by both Dem anf Repub observers and by mutual agreement they declared the ballot invalid.
4. The recount flips the winner of the election by a single vote.
5. Recount tally certified by panel of judges as the official result for the election.
6. GOP (State? National? ) lawyer(?) talks to Republican observer about the recount wherein the invalidated ballot was brought up.
7. Observer sends a letter to the panel of judges that certified the result saying that he invalidated the ballot in error, from confusion and inexperience, and because the Dem observer "pressured" him.
8. Judges order the ballot box opened to try and find the ballot in question, and they think they have a match.
9. Per the law on the books, the ballot actually could have been counted as valid, but the recount is done and the tally certified so chalk it up the a learning experience.
10. Judges on the panel, nevertheless, agree to uncertify the election result, admit the ballot as +1 for the Republican, recertify the election as a tie, thus forcing the election into the tie breaker determination as written in the books.
11. Tie breaker is a single coin flip, probably to be done by someone who has the appearance of neutrality between the candidates, scheduled for after Christmas.
12. Dem candidate sues or files a motion or lawyers up in some other fashion to call BS on the actions covered through 8 to 10 because ${reasons}.

Is that about the sum of it? Also, as a procedural question, since the fuckery in the recount is being levied against judges, this will ultimately end up in State SC, unless the Federal SC interjects ala Bush v. Gore, right? If so, does anyone have any insight on Virginia's SC?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I don't really blame Simonds for trying a legal avenue, but they posted the ballot in one of the articles in WaPo about the race and it's pretty convincingly a vote for Yancey, given the Virginia rules about voter intent.

Although, yes, both officials did previously agree to discard the ballot.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Dameius posted:

11. Tie breaker is a single coin flip, probably to be done by someone who has the appearance of neutrality between the candidates, scheduled for after Christmas.

From what I read it's actually more along the lines of 'write both names on pieces of paper, stick them in a hat, draw blindly'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dameius posted:

Regarding the coin flip, is my memory of this correct?

1. Election certified R-win, D-lose, but within margin of error to force automatic recount.
2. State election law dictates you get one recount to certify and said recount starts.
3. During recount, a ballot was discussed by both Dem anf Repub observers and by mutual agreement they declared the ballot invalid.
4. The recount flips the winner of the election by a single vote.
5. Recount tally certified by panel of judges as the official result for the election.
6. GOP (State? National? ) lawyer(?) talks to Republican observer about the recount wherein the invalidated ballot was brought up.
7. Observer sends a letter to the panel of judges that certified the result saying that he invalidated the ballot in error, from confusion and inexperience, and because the Dem observer "pressured" him.
8. Judges order the ballot box opened to try and find the ballot in question, and they think they have a match.
9. Per the law on the books, the ballot actually could have been counted as valid, but the recount is done and the tally certified so chalk it up the a learning experience.
10. Judges on the panel, nevertheless, agree to uncertify the election result, admit the ballot as +1 for the Republican, recertify the election as a tie, thus forcing the election into the tie breaker determination as written in the books.
12. Dem candidate sues or files a motion or lawyers up in some other fashion to call BS on the actions covered through 8 to 10 because ${reasons}.

Is that about the sum of it? Also, as a procedural question, since the fuckery in the recount is being levied against judges, this will ultimately end up in State SC, unless the Federal SC interjects ala Bush v. Gore, right? If so, does anyone have any insight on Virginia's SC?

1) Wasn't an automatic recount, but was within the margin to have a state-paid for recount.
5) Did not happen. The recount officials all signed off, the judges were to sign off the next day where the funny business happened.
9-10) Again, the judges never signed off on the original tally: merely the recount officials. The judges only have the authority to review challenged ballots: the core issue is when you can challenge the ballot. The Dems say up until the recount officials certify; the Republicans say up until the moment of the hearing with the judges, basically.

The claim that the Dem would bring is that the recount court violated Virginia law, and that means there's no real hook to get you into federal court (Bush v. Gore involved a federal equal protection claim in an election governed, in part, by federal law). State Supreme Court is the end of the road. The state SC was elected by the (republican-controlled) legislature, but I do not know if it has a reputation as being fair or as being partisan.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/chpbrownlee/status/946258548752900098

The expert behind the 1 in 15 billion claim, you ask?

https://twitter.com/chpbrownlee/status/946262645337976832

:getin:

(This is going to get ignored harder than TPUSA at student activity fairs)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
You’d think the campaign would be too old for him to care for it now. :shrug:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/RoyMooresHorse/status/946461220688629760

I used to be Roy Moore :byewhore:
but now I'm :getin:
keep being a millstone to the GOP forever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Those pages aren't going to rape themselves.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they should give this lady a permanent gig on tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAi_jcB0pks

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Yes please. :allears: Let Roy Moore hover behind the GOP forever at the senate, like a pedo cowboy version of Banquo's Ghost.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the sword of damoorecles, more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Well, with the official certification of Doug Jones's victory in Alabama, and with the end of the work week meaning that the outstanding House of Delegates race in Virginia won't be resolved until the new year, that means the special and state-level elections of 2017 have finally, mercifully come to an end.

:siren:See y'all in next year's thread!:siren:

• Locked thread