Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Do you have the post-election doldrums? Has the election of an orange fascist clown left you blue? Do you desperately need another hit of that sweet civic juice and just can't wait until 2018? Well, good news, because two states are completely loving stupid and have gubernatorial (and other state-level) elections in 2017! Yes, this is insane and ridiculous and ensures the most drained, unenthusiastic electorate possible, why do you ask?

The following states have state-level elections in this terrible year, and as of June we have now entered general election mode:toot:, so the thread has been updated to suit! As always, if you have contributions to make, from writeups on candidates to maps to links to issue pages, please feel free!

:siren:VIRGINIA:siren:

The Huge Democratic Nutsack StateCommonwealth

Governor: Terry McAuliffe

In the Old Dominion, noted car salesman, Clinton bagman, rum aficionado, and surprisingly okay governor Terry McAuliffe has hit his term limit and now it's time to replace him! But wasn't he just elected in 2013, I remember a whole deal with that dickwad Cuccinelli, am I high, you ask? No, friend, you are high, but you're also correct: Virginia limits its governors and other assorted officials to one term, because it is dumb! Now, T-Mac is leaving office fairly popular; despite serious opposition from a sometimes split, sometimes GOP-controlled legislature, he's presided over an expansion of Virginia infrastructure, restoration of felons' voting rights, a booming craft beer industry, and (relatedly) the installation of a Kegerator in the governor's mansion. (Really, read that article, it's hilarious.)

However, as of next year, dude's out on his rear end! Obviously, with Donald loving Trump and a nefariously united deeply entertainingly divided Republican Party ruling DC with an iron fist, Democrats hope to consolidate their control over Virginia, which has been trending purple in recent elections, and this year proved itself a Democratic holdout against the red tide. Appropriately, all of its state-level officers are Democrats, but the legislature remains in Republican hands, lopsidedly in the House of Delegates and by a hair in the Senate. In order to make gains, Dems will have to hold onto the statewide offices and pick up seats in the legislature, which is among the nation's most gerrymandered. They have historical dynamics and demographics on their side: Virginia is famously spiteful and almost invariably votes in a governor of the opposite party that holds the White House, with the sole recent exception of T-Mac himself in '09, and a hilariously stupid proportion of the population lives in the Northern Virginia DC suburbs (ridiculously Democratic), Richmond (very democratic but with purple and red suburbs), and Hampton Roads (a clusterfuck, with a few very Democratic cities but also a bunch of military bases and a lot of retirement by the beach).

Ralph Northam, Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia, the Democratic nominee for Governor, is a quiet, drawling Virginia Democrat in the old mode who nonetheless hews closely to party orthodoxy on most issues. He received the nomination after an out-of-left-field challenge from rival Tom Perriello, a firebrand progressive (though with an equally checkered voting past in some ways) who shook the race up in January. Despite that, Northam's long-standing connections, his support in highly-populated Democratic bases in Richmond and Hampton Roads, and Perriello's inability to turn out infrequent primary voters carried him to victory. An Army veteran, doctor, and resident of the 700-square-mile impending climate disaster zone known as the Eastern Shore, he's well-positioned to strike at the Republican Party-- and its famous, tangerine leader-- on several key issues. Though he's not the most inspiring figure, and he's been the target of attacks from the left thanks to his votes for George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, he'll have Trump to drive Democratic turnout, and primary turnout presaged a high-turnout general for Democrats.

He'll be facing:

Ed Gillespie, political strategist and former RNC chair, who has never won an election, but gosh darn it, now It's His Turn! Though he grew up a Democrat, the Southern Strategy happened, and when he heard about Reagan in 1984, he decided his attitude towards government "just made sense to me." You might have seen him on TV in 2000, when he was an advisor to the Bush campaign and a key spokesman during the recount in Florida (he was one of the organizers of the Brooks Brothers Riots). Since then, he served as chair of the GOP until 2004, and then lost a Senatorial race to fill the seat ultimately won by Mark Warner. As you might expect, he's politically very much a mainline Republican; the GOP learned the lesson of 2009, and aside from his ties to neoconservative liches like Karl Rove and his past lobbying for Enron, he's pretty standard. However, the GOP's monkey paw wish for voter engagement continues to entertain, and he faces three challengers, all Tea Party upstarts!

Worth noting here is that Gillespie won his primary by less than 5000 votes against rival Corey Stewart, noted white rage elemental, Confederate monument advocate, and worst thing ever imported from Minnesota. While Gillespie has been trying his damnedest to avoid anyone mentioning the word Trump in his vicinity, the Republican Party of today is very much a Trumpian creature, even in famously moderate Virginia, thus the low margin of his victory, and Stewart has been less than gracious in defeat, charging that Gillespie would have to fight to win his voters over. Will he manage to make that diabolic deal? And what will it cost him?

At the Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General level, the only noteworthy figure so far is Mark Herring, incumbent Democratic Attorney General, who has been a solid force for progressive change in Virginia, taking part in lawsuits against the Trump administration on issues such as the Muslim ban. As the only one of the three statewide offices permitted to run for re-election, he will have a pretty big leg up on his competition.

:siren:NEW JERSEY:siren:

Governor: Chris Christie

New Jersey isn't quite as stupid as Virginia and only limits its governors to two terms, but coincidentally, that's how many terms outgoing governor Chris Christie has had! Chris Christie, a Republican famous for sabotaging a bridge to get back at political rivals, fetching McDonalds for Donald Trump, and being very overweight, can no longer be governor! Which is actually probably a relief since there's an ongoing court case about the aforementioned bridge sabotage and Christie is getting a little hot under the collar!

New Jersey has a strong tradition of electing sleazy businessmen and bankers as their Democratic governors, and if history is any guide, they're in line to do it again:

Phil Murphy, former Ambassador to Germany and former Goldman Sachs executive, is basically like if Mitt Romney was a Democrat, or maybe if Corey Booker was white. Despite the liability of his bank exec past, he is talking a good game on raising the minimum wage, keeping as much of the ACA alive in New Jersey as possible, and defying Donald Trump wherever he can. Though far from a progressive, he's pretty middle of the road as Democrats go, and he's by far the favorite in the race.

Kim Guadagno, Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of State of New Jersey, has two jobs, because Chris Christie couldn't find enough people willing to work in his administration. She faces a very steep uphill battle in a state that almost never elects Republicans and got burned very badly the last time they tried it, but she's doing her best by promising big property tax cuts and cutting state support for school funding. Like other Republicans running this year, she's trying her damnedest to avoid anyone mentioning the name Donald Trump anywhere in her vicinity, and in fact is framing some of her policy positions in terms of supporting the middle class against "millionaires in Hoboken and Jersey City." It's a bold move, Cotton, let's see how it works out for her!

If you want to talk about matters of state politics relating to the upcoming elections, or the consequences of those elections, or the frustrations of low-level politics as relating to those elections, please do so! These are pretty high-impact elections for a few reasons, thanks to the GOP dominance at the state level, the potential for constitutional fuckery if they gain many more, and the opportunity to use the first major elections since Trump to gauge the blowback against him in the run up to the midterms. We've already had a lot of people commenting about the impact of the local races on them and their participation, and that's a good thing to have outside of high-traffic megathreads like the Trump Thread.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
This is a great idea for a thread, thanks for making it!

The republicans have full control of the legislature and executive in 32 states; 6 more and they can start amending the constitution! This should scare the poo poo out of people.

Articles about just how hosed the dems are wrt state level elections:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/chambers-of-pain/507467/
http://www.vox.com/2015/10/19/9565119/democrats-in-deep-trouble (written in 2015!)
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/306736-dems-hit-new-low-in-state-legislatures
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/10/13576488/democratic-party-smoking-pile-rubble

Some Vox Article posted:

Republicans control the House, and they control the Senate. District lines are drawn in such a way that the median House district is far more conservative than the median American voter — resulting in situations like 2012 where House Democrats secured more votes than House Republicans but the GOP retained a healthy majority. The Senate, too, is in effect naturally gerrymandered to favor Republicans. Two years from now the Democratic Party will need to fight to retain seats in very difficult states like North Dakota, Montana, West Virginia, Indiana, and Missouri along with merely contestable ones in places like Florida, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

In state government things are worse, if anything. The GOP now controls historical record number of governors’ mansions, including a majority of New England governorships. Tuesday’s election swapped around a few state legislative houses but left Democrats controlling a distinct minority. The same story applies further down ballot, where most elected attorneys general, insurance commissioners, secretaries of state, and so forth are Republicans.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The republicans have full control of the legislature and executive in 32 states; 6 more and they can start amending the constitution! This should scare the poo poo out of people.

1 more legislature (they have 33) and they can call for a convention to propose a balanced budget amendment. Because that's exactly what "common sense" amendment they'll call for first.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I live in Charlottesville and extremely glad that Perriello is running. When he was my congressman Tom voted for the ACA, despite knowing it would almost certainly end his congressional career. The ACA has problems for sure, but Tom chose to vote for something that would save peoples lives and improve quality of life, despite its assuredly negative consequences to him personally. I believe he considers himself an actual public servant, and makes his choices because he feels compelled to work to improve the state of the world. I really, really hope he can beat out Northam.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
the off-off year VA races are always amusing. so glad we get to have a proxy hillary/bernie fight in the dem primary. just what we all wanted. :sigh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/ericgreitens/status/817800367119417345

https://twitter.com/celestebott/status/818532889042309121

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hmm I very much want to hear more about this new perk of being Missouri Governor, the Governor's Glock. Do you pass it on to your successor along with the governor's mansion? Is a new one made to suit each governor? Is it like the Fisherman's Ring where the old one is ceremonially destroyed on Inauguration Day?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Wisniewski is just a generic Democrat who's making a last ditch bid for office, and is rumored to already have a deal with Murphy to serve in his cabinet. It's hilarious how quickly the state party cleared the path for Murphy. 8 years after Jon Corzine lost big. New Jersey Democrats sure as poo poo love their Goldman Sachs cash and less so their principles.

There's a lot of talk LG Kim Guadagno will run in the primary, I don't think she'll be a good candidate though. At this point it looks like Tom Kean Jr. won't run. All of the Republicans are terrified to run because they think it'll be a certain loss.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Kim Jong Il posted:

Wisniewski is just a generic Democrat who's making a last ditch bid for office, and is rumored to already have a deal with Murphy to serve in his cabinet. It's hilarious how quickly the state party cleared the path for Murphy. 8 years after Jon Corzine lost big. New Jersey Democrats sure as poo poo love their Goldman Sachs cash and less so their principles.

There's a lot of talk LG Kim Guadagno will run in the primary, I don't think she'll be a good candidate though. At this point it looks like Tom Kean Jr. won't run. All of the Republicans are terrified to run because they think it'll be a certain loss.

Everything I've read suggests they're right about that; Chris Christie was a bit of an outlier, and he's going out so unpopular and scandal-ridden that a successor is very unlikely. Plus it's no longer 2016 so the spell of patently ridiculous outcomes is broken, says increasingly nervous man for the thirtieth time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ComradeCosmobot posted:

1 more legislature (they have 33) and they can call for a convention to propose a balanced budget amendment. Because that's exactly what "common sense" amendment they'll call for first.

Which then has to be ratified by the states*. A convention doesn't bypass the need for ratification, it only (...kinda) bypasses Congress.

Congress may or may not have to authorize the convention after a request is submitted by 34 states, it hasn't come up yet. :v:

* - Congress could hypothetically kick ratification to state conventions rather than state legislatures, which could potentially get extremely weird to the point that I have no idea what would happen. I rather suspect that neither does the GOP Congress, but we are in the Trump Timeline.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Special elections are being held today in parts of Virginia. There a very small chance it could shift the state senate back to slight Democratic control.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

nonrev posted:

Special elections are being held today in parts of Virginia. There a very small chance it could shift the state senate back to slight Democratic control.

I've been getting piles of mailers for weeks despite not living or voting in the contentious district for ages. There's definitely a lot of money being poured into it!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Permitless carry with option to acquire a shall-issue, five year Pistol/Revolver License for reciprocity in some lesser states passes New Hampshire senate:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...billnumber=sb12

The Republicans kicked their platform into gear fairly quickly. The bill has passed both the Senate and HoR for several years running to be vetoed by the governor so it can be expected to clear the house from here. Gov. Sununu ran his campaign featuring a promise to sign the bill so it looks like it is on track to become law.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I wrote some stuff about the VA races as there is now enough info to do more than speculate.

1. Who wins the Dem Primary for Governor?

VA is a weird state where the Governor can only serve one consecutive term. So despite Terry McAuliffe being insanely popular (I can't believe I just said that :psyduck: ) he will be stepping down.

The race here is has fairly popular Lt. Governor Ralph Northram running against a grass-roots style campaign of former Congressman Tom Perriello . It's another Establishment/Grassroots fight but the Centrist/Leftist flip is different from other similar races as Northram is arguably much more liberal than Perriello. Northram also has a lot of friends in Northern Virginia who he's helped out in the past so he's likely to do well there. I personally still have no idea who to vote for. Should be interesting! Election is June 13th.

The most recent primary poll has Perriello at 25% to Northram's 20% with another 51% undecided.

Polling indicates that either man has around an 11 point lead over likely GOP challenger and former RNC Chair Ed Gillespie.

Polling source: https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=2450

2. Do the Dems take the State Senate?

In 2013 after McAuliffe won the State Senate was exactly tied, 20-20. There was then some very shady dealings after 2014 that resulted in one Democratic State Senator retiring with allegations that he was bribed. The GOP won the special election and have held the State Senate by one vote since 2015. The Dems have been itching to take the Senate back since then and in my opinion look extremely likely to do so, with a lot of GOP Senators sitting in districts that Hillary won easily. The only reason these people kept their seats is because VA State-level elections are off-off year so the GOP has benefited from low turnout.

I'd say given the current political winds chances are very good the Dems pick up at least 1-2 Senators to retake control.

3. What happens in the VA House of Delegates?

Currently the GOP holds the state house with 66 Delegates to the Dem's 34, enough for a super majority. The GOP actually just used this super majority to block the Governor's Medicaid expansion plans. The Dems haven't had a majority since 1998 when they held 50 seats. They are hoping that everything changes this year. There are 17 GOP Delegates in districts that Hillary Clinton won in 2016. Coincidentally, the Dems need a pickup of exactly 17 seats to win back the House of Delegates. The Dems have recruited very aggressively and have challengers in all 17 of these districts plus another 32 districts that could become competitive if there is a wave.

Whereas in 2013 the Dems only ran candidates in about half the districts up for election, this time they are running candidates in 83 of the 100 districts and only giving up the districts where Mark Warner got less than a third of the vote in his Senate race in 2014. Ideally you'd want candidates in all these races but they've done a remarkable job recruiting considering how daunting some of these races are.

Of course, expectations are still that the GOP will win, but the more the Dems can cut into the margin the better.

Sources:

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/02/2017-virginia-democratic-house-candidates-district

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_of_Virginia#History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_election,_2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The VA Dems had their first Gubernatorial Primary Debate. It was mostly about the issues and saying Trump sucks. I'm still extremely torn on who to vote for, they both seem like excellent candidates, especially with Perriello coming out and saying all campaigns should be publicly financed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.df5d59fba84e

Washington Post posted:

Northam and Perriello hold their fire in first Democratic gubernatorial debate in Va.

Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam and former congressman Tom Perriello, locked in a neck-and-neck battle for the Democratic nomination to be Virginia’s governor, saved their harshest words for President Trump over the weekend, making their first primary debate a largely positive, gentlemanly affair.

Northam and Perriello generally agreed on policy and exchanged only a few, gentle jabs during the hour-long forum moderated by NBC4 reporter Tom Sherwood. Saturday’s debate, the first of five, was held in Fairfax County — important territory in voter-rich Northern Virginia.

Offered a chance to rebut Northam’s assertion that Virginians should have greater priority in admission to public colleges and universities, compared with out-of-state students, Perriello said, “I would just take 30 seconds back to agree.”

Perriello, who upset Virginia’s Democratic establishment with his unexpected entry into the race in January, took pains to several times praise term-limited Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who is backing Northam.

“I think McAuliffe has done a tremendous job,” Perriello said in response to a question about whether this is a “change election.”

Yet Perriello also suggested he would do more to address the state’s opioid crisis, revamp its “regressive criminal code,” and raise the minimum wage, which he called a “poverty wage” in pricey Northern Virginia.

“So, no, I’m not satisfied with the status quo,” he said.

Sometimes knocked as too low-key, Northam was loose and lively. He left his spot on the stage at one point, after Sherwood forgot to give him a crack at a question, to playfully mark up the moderator’s notes as a teacher might correct a student’s paper.

While amiable all night, the lieutenant governor still asserted his liberal bona fides — and questioned Perriello’s with a few digs about the former congressman’s receipt of “dark money” from a political group that does not identify most of its donors, his past support for the National Rifle Association and his mixed record on abortion rights.

“I am the only statewide elected official over the years that has been outspoken against offshore drilling,” Northam said. “I have opposed fracking. . . . I have been against uranium mining.”

Sherwood gave each candidate the opportunity to ask the other a question — something Perriello said caught him off guard. He went first, with a softball: “The question I would ask is: What do you think you have learned most from your great service as lieutenant governor?”

When Northam was up, he lobbed something harder. He asked Perriello why he took campaign contributions from the NRA while in Congress, noting that it was after the 2007 mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

Perriello, who got an “A” rating from the NRA when he ran for Congress, noted he is no longer in the group’s good graces. “I called them a ‘nut-job, extremist organization’ and compared them to the John Birch Society,” he said. “I don’t imagine those checks are in the mail.”

Northam, 57, is a pediatric neurologist from the Eastern Shore who graduated from the Virginia Military Institute and, as an Army major, treated wounded soldiers during Operation Desert Storm. He said that he grew up with an appreciation of hunting but that, after treating toddlers injured by guns, he knew that “assault weapons have no place on our streets.”

He also spoke about taking on the tobacco industry as a legislator when he pushed through the state’s ban on smoking in restaurants, and how he skewered Republican efforts to require women to get a transvaginal ultrasound before obtaining an abortion.

Perriello, 42, grew up outside Charlottesville and got his undergraduate and law degrees from Yale. He won election to Congress in 2008. During his single term, he won stature within the party for supporting the Affordable Care Act despite his conservative district. He lost reelection in the tea party wave of 2010, in part because of his support for the health-care law — something that endeared him to President Obama.

But Perriello also has drawn fire from liberals for advocating an amendment to the ACA that would have prevented federal subsidies for insurance plans that cover abortion. Asked by Sherwood about abortion, Perriello made no mention of his past. Instead, he presented himself as a strong advocate for abortion rights and also said abortion services should be made more accessible, noting some places around the state lack clinics.

Perriello has sworn off donations from Dominion Power — the state’s largest utility and largest political donor — and opposes two oil and natural gas pipelines planned for rural Virginia. Northam has not taken a position on the pipelines, which McAuliffe has touted as a source of jobs, but says they must be subjected to strict environmental review.

One of the sharpest exchanges of the night came after Northam said he had sent letter to state environmental officials, pressing them to make the pipeline review process more transparent. Perriello asked Northam if he had discussed the letter beforehand with Dominion.

“I’m not going to stand here on the witness stand,” Northam replied. “It’s not a ‘yes’ or ‘no,’ or us versus them.”

Perriello repeated his call for publicly financed campaigns. Northam said he favors comprehensive campaign finance reform.

The debate did not dwell on Trump, but Perriello framed his bid as a means of resisting the president in a closing statement so fiery that Sherwood responded with, “Pass the collection plate.”

“Just a few months ago, most of us were busy crying,” Perriello said to laughs. “We were paralyzed. We didn’t know what had become of a country that had elected a person who had run the most overtly racist campaign of my lifetime. . . . But all of you, and millions of others across the country, decided to get up off our couch and organize and resist.”

He continued: “I have pledged to, within the limits of the law, to have noncompliance with any acts of the Trump administration that are unconstitutional and unconscionable in nature.”

Northam, while vowing to “stand up to the narcissistic maniac on the other side of the Potomac,” mostly went for the soft sell.

“As a pediatrician, I have held a lot of babies in my arms,” he said. “And when you look into the eyes of a baby, you know, you don’t see the hatred and the bigotry that we so often see in society. And our question — as a society, as Virginians — is, what are these babies going to grow up to be? . . . Are they going to have access to a world-class education system? Are they going to have access to affordable health care? And are they going to live in environments where the air and the water are clean?”

There was no real discussion of the three Republicans running for governor, but Perriello criticized the front-runner, former Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie, for not speaking out against Trump’s entry ban on travelers from predominantly Muslim countries.

Gillespie faces Prince William County Supervisors Chairman Corey A. Stewart and state Sen. Frank W. Wagner (Virginia Beach) in the GOP’s June 13 primary. The general election takes place Nov. 7.

A "fun" fact on the GOP side, Corey Stewart has been getting in Twitter fights about Confederate memorials and is being a general piece of poo poo. This probably means he's somehow going to win his primary.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

A "fun" fact on the GOP side, Corey Stewart has been getting in Twitter fights about Confederate memorials and is being a general piece of poo poo. This probably means he's somehow going to win his primary.

It's interesting that he's taking this tack; I assume it's because he's polling down against his rivals for the GOP nomination, so he's being outrageous in an attempt to shake things up. His bet seems to be that Trumpism is dominant in Republican politics right now, so he should be as Trumpy as possible (with extra Confederate flags because this is the former Confederacy). But what boggles my mind is that not only did Trump not win Virginia, the only southern state to vote for Hillary, he didn't even win the Republican primary here! State politics are very dominated by urban areas, especially Northern Virginia, which has fewer Republicans than Democrats but still has a hell of a lot of Republicans, and they tend to go for sober, Serious People who will slash taxes and regulations. Even The Cooch only won his race through serious backroom deals that switched the nominating process to use a convention instead of a primary. It's a dumb bet and I can't help but wonder if he's hoping to be snatched up as a candidate for something federal or an executive appointment after this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Which has to be loving ratified by 75% of State Whatsits.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Which has to be loving ratified by 75% of State Whatsits.

While this is true, it is theoretically possible for a constitutional convention to just straight-up write a new constitution with its own ratification conditions (such as only two thirds of the states or whatever). This is actually how the current Constitution came to be; the Articles called for unanimous approval for amendments, and the constitutional convention kinda fuzzed things because they knew that was insane and the Articles were broken as hell. Now, that worked because the states had some disagreements but generally did want to be part of this nation, and the quibbles about procedure were papered over by the full-court PR campaign by the Federalists. If that were to happen today, it would result in the country dissolving.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I went to a forum tonight for the NJ Governor's primary that all the candidates showed up for other than Kim Guardano. It's unbelievable to me that the party would nominate someone like Murphy who is a true goldman sachs mediocrity after what we went through with Corzine. Murphy is ahead by a mile and he talks the part but he also looks and talks like a used car salesman... I guess we just have to hope that he's our version of Mcauliffe?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I went to a forum tonight for the NJ Governor's primary that all the candidates showed up for other than Kim Guardano. It's unbelievable to me that the party would nominate someone like Murphy who is a true goldman sachs mediocrity after what we went through with Corzine. Murphy is ahead by a mile and he talks the part but he also looks and talks like a used car salesman... I guess we just have to hope that he's our version of Mcauliffe?

A T-Mac for NJ isn't that bad an outcome. I was pretty annoyed about him back in 2013 but he's been a remarkably effective governor and would easily win a 2nd term if VA politics weren't weird.

Your point on Corzine is an apt one though and something to be more concerned with given the NJ Democratic Party's past history though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

axeil posted:

A T-Mac for NJ isn't that bad an outcome. I was pretty annoyed about him back in 2013 but he's been a remarkably effective governor and would easily win a 2nd term if VA politics weren't weird.

Your point on Corzine is an apt one though and something to be more concerned with given the NJ Democratic Party's past history though.

The NJ Democratic party is a cesspool of shittiness so it's much more likely that Murphy will govern as Andrew Cuomo 2.0 than McAuliffe. All you need to know about the party in this state is that they basically gifted the governorship to an ex Goldman Sachs professional fundraiser for the DNC. The guy is completely unimpressive other than his ability to self fund.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The NJ Democratic party is a cesspool of shittiness so it's much more likely that Murphy will govern as Andrew Cuomo 2.0 than McAuliffe. All you need to know about the party in this state is that they basically gifted the governorship to an ex Goldman Sachs professional fundraiser for the DNC. The guy is completely unimpressive other than his ability to self fund.

Guy still has to get through the primary right? Who are his opponents?

Also in NJ being ex-Goldman might be an asset rather than a liability when half of North Jersey is linked to the financial sector.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Guy still has to get through the primary right? Who are his opponents?

Also in NJ being ex-Goldman might be an asset rather than a liability when half of North Jersey is linked to the financial sector.

The guy who has the best chance of winning other than Murphy is John Wisniewski who is a state assemblyman that was involved in the Bridgegate investigation. He's pretty good and progressive. Is for Single Payer and pot legalization and 15 dollar wage. Give him money if you can.... http://wiz2017.com/

Murphy is way up in the polls but there is still over 50% undecided and Murphy literally the only one on TV right now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The guy who has the best chance of winning other than Murphy is John Wisniewski who is a state assemblyman that was involved in the Bridgegate investigation. He's pretty good and progressive. Is for Single Payer and pot legalization and 15 dollar wage. Give him money if you can.... http://wiz2017.com/

Murphy is way up in the polls but there is still over 50% undecided and Murphy literally the only one on TV right now.

Huh, interesting. VA has a similar level of undecided, but here, unlike up in NJ there doesn't really seem to be much to distinguish between the two candidates. I think most people would be happy with either one.

When's the primary? Ours is in June. Both candidates are going to be up in NOVA today for a debate so I'm hoping I can get to go and see their debate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Huh, interesting. VA has a similar level of undecided, but here, unlike up in NJ there doesn't really seem to be much to distinguish between the two candidates. I think most people would be happy with either one.

When's the primary? Ours is in June. Both candidates are going to be up in NOVA today for a debate so I'm hoping I can get to go and see their debate.

Primary is June 6. Murphy does give lip service to a lot of good policy but I don't think he'll govern that way and he just comes across as a used car salesman.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/zellieimani/status/859883659712647168

drat.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

NJ goons, elect this man!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

He's not wrong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This guy rules. I was there. He brought the loving house down.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So, I was pretty excited to hear that Pod Save America had Tom Perriello on the other day, if you don't listen to them, here is a link to the episode and you can go to 41:20 to skip the dumb ads and frustrated angry screaming about AHCA if you prefer. Apparently the guy is nuts for craft beer, which is a good sign because Virginia has a strong track record of electing governors who are a little nuts about craft beer (see also: kegerator).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kris Kobach is running for Governor in Kansas.

So, Kansas has another 8 years of even more complete insanity in store.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Reminder to all VA-Goons, our primary is on Tuesday

Please go vote for Tom Perriello because Ralph Northam has turned out to be a major cock:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...7eed42c17d.html

Richmond Times-Dispatch posted:

A mysterious PAC supporting Lt. Gov. Ralph S. Northam in Virginia’s Democratic gubernatorial primary has launched a last-minute digital ad that attacks former U.S. Rep. Tom Perriello over a controversial abortion vote, a negative message that drew a public rebuke from Northam.

The political action committee, Virginians for a Better Future, has filed reports with the Virginia Department of Elections saying it will spend roughly $120,000 on digital ads and direct mail supporting Northam and opposing Perriello in the final stretch before Tuesday’s primary. Though the identities of the PAC’s backers are unclear, the filings show the ad campaign was created with the help of companies with ties to prominent Virginia Democrats backing Northam, including Gov. Terry McAuliffe and influential state Sen. Richard L. Saslaw of Fairfax County.

Saslaw and the governor’s office said they had no knowledge of the PAC’s activities. The little-known Democratic operative listed as the PAC’s treasurer, Michael McShane of Keswick, did not return three messages left Thursday at the phone number listed on the PAC’s public filing. The PAC has not filed a report with the state disclosing its funding sources, and won’t have to file until after the primary.

At the beginning of their tightly contested primary battle, Perriello and Northam pledged to run gentlemanly, substantive campaigns. Though they’ve sparred on debate stages over their voting records, there has been no negative advertising from the campaigns thus far.

It’s not clear how many potential Democratic voters the ads could reach, but the outside spending could add to Northam’s advertising advantage with the Perriello campaign apparently running low on resources. Perriello loaned his own campaign $150,000 this week, according to the campaign, an infusion that required selling off assets and reaching into his savings.

In an email sent to McShane on Wednesday and copied to the Perriello campaign and several reporters, Northam told the PAC’s treasurer he wants the campaign to stay positive and insisted the messaging be driven by the candidates themselves in a spirit of “transparency and accountability.”

“Any negative campaigning against my opponent will draw an immediate denouncement from my campaign,” wrote Northam, who has criticized “dark money” in politics and called for sweeping reforms to Virginia’s loose campaign finance laws. “Therefore I am asking your committee to halt any and all spending that would constitute an attack on my opponent’s record.”

Perriello said in a statement Thursday evening that “close associates and backers of Lt. Gov. Northam have launched a desperate last-minute negative campaign against me,” adding: “This is exactly the kind of thing that correctly disgusts people about politics.” Perriello called on Northam to “show leadership in shutting down this shady campaign by tomorrow.”

In its independent expenditure filings with the state, required within 24 hours of money being used to influence an election, the PAC identified Seattle-based Moxie Media as the company it paid for a roughly $60,000 direct mail campaign. Moxie’s website lists Brian Zuzenak, McAuliffe’s former political director who led Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in Virginia last year, as a partner at the firm. Zuzenak and Moxie did not respond to requests for comment.

Zuzenak formerly led McAuliffe’s Common Good VA PAC. The governor’s PAC paid him $13,500 in December for consulting work, according to state records compiled by the Virginia Public Access Project.

McAuliffe spokesman Brian Coy said the governor and his team had “no knowledge this was taking place” and agrees with Northam that negative ads are out of bounds.

“He hopes the ad campaign stops,” Coy said. “And he wants this primary to end on a positive note.”

The Perriello campaign said it became aware of the ads Sunday after a supporter spotted one on Facebook and brought it to the campaign’s attention.

The address listed for the company behind digital video ads that have been promoted on Facebook matches the address for SBDigital, a Washington, D.C., firm that employs Saslaw’s former campaign manager, Sam Sterling, as its director of campaigns and new media, according to the company’s website. Sterling and SBDigital did not respond to requests for comment.

The video ad, tagged “SBDigital — Bully 30” on the Virginians for a Better Future website, begins with a series of ominous headlines about President Donald Trump as a narrator says: “A bully threatens our way of life.”

“Who can we count on to stand up to Donald Trump? Not Tom Perriello,” the narrator says as a red “no” symbol appears over a photo of Perriello.

The ad then mentions Perriello’s vote in Congress for the so-called Stupak amendment, which would have prohibited federal funding for abortion coverage in the government-subsidized insurance plans being considered under the Affordable Care Act. Perriello has repeatedly said he regrets the 2009 vote. At the time, he has said, he was trying to keep a promise he made to constituents in his largely rural, Republican-leaning 5th Congressional District to ensure the health care bill complied with existing legislative provisions that prevent federal dollars from paying for abortions except in cases of incest and rape or when the mother’s health is at risk.

The PAC didn’t seem to heed Northam’s request to stop. The ad remained online as of late Thursday afternoon.

“Rather than sending a letter to the press, a far more effective way for them to get this desperate attack ad pulled would be to call their top surrogate Dick Saslaw directly,” said Perriello campaign spokesman Ian Sams.

In a brief phone interview, Saslaw said he doesn’t know who’s behind the PAC.

“I have no idea,” Saslaw said. “Never even heard of ’em.”

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

Reminder to all VA-Goons, our primary is on Tuesday

Please go vote for Tom Perriello because Ralph Northam has turned out to be a major cock:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...7eed42c17d.html

This is pretty gross and unfortunate-- up to now the race really has remained quite clean of the sort of negative ads that this represents. I suspect both candidates saw the animosity stirred after last year's presidential primaries and didn't want to do more than necessary to stir it up again. The race is still very tight, though, according to sparse polling, which makes it an enthusiasm and turnout game. Tom indisputably inspires more enthusiasm, but he's also angling to pick up people who don't vote as frequently, like young voters and rural democrats (I saw his signs alongside pipeline protest signs lining every road in Nelson County, for instance). Ordinarily I'd say this would be a very risky and unlikely strategy in Virginia'a ludicrously low turnout gubernatorial elections, but with Trump, I think it's got a much better chance of succeeding. I suspect Northam is feeling the heat and even if he himself didn't order this desperate line of attack ads, he's glad to have someone firing away.

e: I'm planning to update the OP following the primary, since most of these guys won't be relevant anymore and the races will start getting more play nationally as the summer progresses.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

This is pretty gross and unfortunate-- up to now the race really has remained quite clean of the sort of negative ads that this represents. I suspect both candidates saw the animosity stirred after last year's presidential primaries and didn't want to do more than necessary to stir it up again. The race is still very tight, though, according to sparse polling, which makes it an enthusiasm and turnout game. Tom indisputably inspires more enthusiasm, but he's also angling to pick up people who don't vote as frequently, like young voters and rural democrats (I saw his signs alongside pipeline protest signs lining every road in Nelson County, for instance). Ordinarily I'd say this would be a very risky and unlikely strategy in Virginia'a ludicrously low turnout gubernatorial elections, but with Trump, I think it's got a much better chance of succeeding. I suspect Northam is feeling the heat and even if he himself didn't order this desperate line of attack ads, he's glad to have someone firing away.

e: I'm planning to update the OP following the primary, since most of these guys won't be relevant anymore and the races will start getting more play nationally as the summer progresses.

I saw a poll that showed things were pretty much a dead heat in NOVA, Perriello winning Richmond, Charlottesville and Western VA and Northam winning VA Beach. If that's the case it'll come down to NOVA. It's gonna be close.

http://wavy.com/2017/06/09/hampton-university-governor-poll-data/

It shows a 6 point lead for Perriello but has a laughable 50% undecided which is probably why Northam is pulling out dirty campaigning tactics in desperation.

An internal Perriello poll has him with 1 point lead with 29% undecided.

Basically poo poo is all over the place.

edit: for what it's worth everyone I know here in NOVA, Bernie and Hillary voters alike are going for Perriello. Even my boss who was a hardcore Hillary person is going Perriello because she seems him as being more committed to Obamacare.

edit 2: WaPo has a good article up about Northam and Perriello's appeals to the black community in VA. Perriello has called for an end to Lee-Jackson Day (FINALLY).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e0c0b9abc6f0

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 10, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hi friends! Today is primary day in Virginia, go vote! After today America's dumb off off year elections will all have :siren:pivoted:siren: to general election mode, and I know everyone is just desperately missing life in general election mode after last year, so get hype!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Hi friends! Today is primary day in Virginia, go vote! After today America's dumb off off year elections will all have :siren:pivoted:siren: to general election mode, and I know everyone is just desperately missing life in general election mode after last year, so get hype!

I am hoping and praying for Perriello given that Northam went negative at the last minute and seems to be conceding without any hope that the GOP will continue to have a super majority in the House of Delegates.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I normally don't do primaries but Trump made me decide "never again in my lifetime" so my fiance and I voted Periello.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In the event of Northam's likely and unfortunate victory, keep an eye on a live stream of his victory party ; )

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In the event of Northam's likely and unfortunate victory, keep an eye on a live stream of his victory party ; )

This is bizarrely ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, Northam is currently leading by over 13% with about 40% of the vote in, so it looks like he won

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/virginia-primary-elections

• Locked thread