Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

Glad to hear it. We'll see how it turns out for Northam, but if he doesn't win, it ain't gonna be because of lack of trying from you.:patriot:

So I'm a stagehand by trade, and we look at our job this way - we're here to make the talent look as good as possible. What the talent does from there is up to them.

You and others have been downright kind. And everyone who's come out to help, either from their computer or out in the streets, has been loving incredible. We're all stressed beyond belief, because none of us know if it's enough. It's that PTSD from last year. None of us will ever trust a poll again. None of us will ever be comfortable. And maybe that's how it ought to be, you know? Maybe all of us - the GOTV people, the activists, the voters - all of us should feel this sense of stress and urgency. Maybe we should always feel like it's not enough, because then we'll do more. There's a world where 2016 never happens again.

Know why I'm freaked out? The loving weather! It's forecasted to rain steadily from 1100 onward in NoVA. I think of Brexit on rainy election days now. Anything that depresses turnout in a state where half a dozen candidates can remember winning by less than a hundred votes (I think Danica Roem won her primary by less than 20) is a nightmare. There is every possibility that this will implode spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yes, that's got me worried too. In an election like this one that will ultimately come down to turn out above all else, rain is one of the worst signs. It will hurt our turnout. We've just got to make sure that everything we're doing to boost turnout will be enough to outweigh it, especially in this case driving people to the polls and otherwise facilitating voting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It will hurt turnout among Republicans as well. Not as much as among Dems but they aren't immune from it, especially if they already feel like they're going to lose.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Are we sure that's true? The only study I can find on how rain affects turnout is this:
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/927689786416123910
So if the race is as competitive as it's been portrayed, I don't think there's anything to fear on that front.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well it makes sense that if a person already believes that their vote doesn't matter that they're more likely to find a reason to just avoid voting in the first place.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/927696987474063360

I'm not sure this is the right stance to take on this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Know why I'm freaked out? The loving weather! It's forecasted to rain steadily from 1100 onward in NoVA. I think of Brexit on rainy election days now. Anything that depresses turnout in a state where half a dozen candidates can remember winning by less than a hundred votes (I think Danica Roem won her primary by less than 20) is a nightmare. There is every possibility that this will implode spectacularly.

I'm trying to have a positive spin on the rain. We are definitely the more motivated side right now. I'm hoping that it depresses GOP turnout while we still show up.

I don't really have any strong reason to think it but hope is all we have. So I'm going to hope.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Worthy of note is this article from 538. In addition to just being mildly reassuring, it also includes a table for assessing Gillespie's performance vs the benchmarks he needs in each locality to be on track to win statewide, for the purpose of real-time constant heart attacks tomorrow night. A caution, however: polls close at 7, but the first results in after that will generally be from West Bumfuckia, with their low population precincts and fewer number of precincts in the county overall, and these precincts tend Republican. The heavily populated precincts in the cities and especially NOVA won't really begin to rain votes until later; last year it was between 11 and midnight if I'm recalling correctly. So that's why the benchmarks are useful: they let you compare performance no matter how many localities are reporting at high percentages, because I know everyone here is a masochist who will be doing that all night.

For kicks, scroll down the table and see if you can spot without reading where the list of counties stops and the list of independent cities begins.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just feel compelled to post about how much I loving loathe Ralph Northam and Virginia Democrats in general. I am voting for Ralph Northam. I must clarify that this in no way signifies that I have faith in Ralph Northam, like Ralph Northam, or feel anything other than utter contempt for Ralph Northam. Here's hoping that he will defeat Ed Gillespie, and allow a shadowy coalition of business interests slightly less nefarious than the Nazi Party take over Virginia.

Kellen Squire, on the other hand, is a rarity in Virginia politics: A Democrat who appears to actually believe in and stand for things, and does not spend most of his time and energy desperately, pathetically, contemptibly trying to get middle-class white Republicans to like him.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My father grew up down the block from Ralph and gave him a unicycle in high school.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bollig posted:

My father grew up down the block from Ralph and gave him a unicycle in high school.

is that something like wedgies or did he give him a real unicycle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Polling place was deserted when I got there this morning. Not encouraging.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Barbe Rouge posted:

is that something like wedgies or did he give him a real unicycle

Real unicycle, there's your october surprise

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Today is the day.

Good luck everyone.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Anecdotal polling place busyness reports mean nothing at this stage, but for what it's worth my precinct, in the fan neighborhood of Richmond, wasn't really packed, there was no line, but there was a steady stream of people coming in and out.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

Polling place was deserted when I got there this morning. Not encouraging.

Where is your polling place?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Massive lines in Arlington. Like they were last year. :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Where is your polling place?

NJ, so it barely matters anyway. Still, you'd think there'd be more than a single person there with the current political climate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

NJ, so it barely matters anyway. Still, you'd think there'd be more than a single person there with the current political climate.

A candidate being up double digits will discourage people from both sides to get off their rear end and go vote.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

axeil posted:

There were more people at my polling place this year, and I went around the same time as I did last year.

I'm poll greeting from 9 - 12, canvassing from 12 - 4, and then camped out outside the Ballston metro from 4 to 7. Gonna be a busy day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A candidate being up double digits will discourage people from both sides to get off their rear end and go vote.

Well it shouldn't!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

Good. Colleagues in suburban Williamsburg reporting low turnout this morning, which is mostly a positive.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Gonna vote for :420: today

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Also Northam is first on the ballot. Someone did some research a while ago and that gives you something like half a point more than being second.

Took me half an hour door to ballot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

B B posted:

There were more people at my polling place this year, and I went around the same time as I did last year.

I'm poll greeting from 9 - 12, canvassing from 12 - 4, and then camped out outside the Ballston metro from 4 to 7. Gonna be a busy day.

Oh nice. I voted at the VA Square site at George Mason University Law School (aka A.S.S. Law)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Arlington and Alexandria both with massive turnout reported.

I needed more virtual phone bank logins, and now I have them. If you're feeling nervous, help Virginia! Hit me on PM or post an email in a way you feel comfortable. I'll hook you up and hook you in.

It's gonna be a glooooooooooorious daaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Dulles corridor was deserted. More poll workers than people voting at 7:30.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My boss voted in Ballston around 7 am and she said it was deserted.

She also has said that it's always deserted because she thinks the only people who vote there are her building and the retirement home the polling place is in so who knows!

I would be out there knocking up a storm if I didn't have a bunch of conference calls today :smith:

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Voted in Richmond, similar turn out to 2016. Line was about ten minutes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Dulles corridor was deserted. More poll workers than people voting at 7:30.

I'd imagine most of those people will vote after work.

Vote Northam in then kick his rear end for the sanctuary cities thing. If you can make him into McAuliffe v. 2.0, you could do WAY worse.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

My precinct outside of Alexandria proper had a bit of a line at 7:30 this morning.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Henrico County (went for Clinton 56 to 36) has a 2 hour wait.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Henrico County (went for Clinton 56 to 36) has a 2 hour wait.

:stare:

The whole county???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I voted in NJ this AM and I was the only person at the polling place at 7:30...

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

axeil posted:

:stare:

The whole county???

A polling place in the county, don't know which one

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I voted in Richmond this morning at about 730 and there was a small line and a steady stream of people. It was encouraging.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Latest update: Turnout is on track from 2016, and NoVA turnout is spinning at a MASSIVELY higher rate than 2013.

It's looking good as poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Latest update: Turnout is on track from 2016, and NoVA turnout is spinning at a MASSIVELY higher rate than 2013.

Very nice.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

:patriot:

Keep it up Fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you live in VA you should at least be excited to vote for Mark Herring even if Northam is a big nothing.

• Locked thread