Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

If you live in VA you should at least be excited to vote for Mark Herring even if Northam is a big nothing.

Justin Fairfax is also a certified Cool Dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Anybody else been getting these?

Manifest Dynasty posted:

In Virginia, receiving cell phone calls from someone claiming to be from the "Democratic party of Virginia" telling me to vote for Gillespie because "I don't think you want to waste your vote on a Democrat this time."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
What time will the polls close/results start to come in?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

mcmagic posted:

If you live in VA you should at least be excited to vote for Mark Herring even if Northam is a big nothing.

Yep, and Herring and Fairfax will be severely hamstrung if they have a Republican governor and legislature. So go out and just do it, and then pressure him to pull a TMac and be super good!

Ventana posted:

What time will the polls close/results start to come in?

7 and 8ish respectively. Could be 11 or 12 before we're all done.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

mcmagic posted:

I hope Herring does well. There's something about John Adams that just screams pedantic Republican nerd to me, like the type of guy that was in debate club in high school and took it way too seriously.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Justin Fairfax too. He's a tremendous candidate, great energy, listens to everything you say intently. He's going to be a force. FAIRFAX FOR AMERICA.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Justin Fairfax too. He's a tremendous candidate, great energy, listens to everything you say intently. He's going to be a force. FAIRFAX FOR AMERICA.

Still lolling hard about primary undecideds breaking hard for Fairfax... in Fairfax County. :allears:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/srl/status/927885775403962368

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

God bless our drunk car salesman governor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is loving legit as hell.

Good luck today, VA goons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is great. McAlauffe did a lot of good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

WampaLord posted:

This is loving legit as hell.

Good luck today, VA goons.

And that's why you vote for the impure Dem. McAuliffe was a goddamn hold your nose vote for many because of his Clinton ties and he turned out to be the best goddamn governor Virginia could have asked for. Signed I don't remember how many thousands of voter restorations BY HAND because the Republicans were being douches and trying to keep (black) former felons from voting and said he couldn't just mass restore them. Remember that if Northam wins by less than 10k votes, it was likely because of McAuliffe's actions. YOUR VOTE loving MATTERS.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oracle posted:

And that's why you vote for the impure Dem.

Look, I'm a pragmatic person, I live in Florida, i voted for Hillary (and straight ticket D down ballot), you don't have to give me the lecture.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oracle posted:

And that's why you vote for the impure Dem. McAuliffe was a goddamn hold your nose vote for many because of his Clinton ties and he turned out to be the best goddamn governor Virginia could have asked for. Signed I don't remember how many thousands of voter restorations BY HAND because the Republicans were being douches and trying to keep (black) former felons from voting and said he couldn't just mass restore them. Remember that if Northam wins by less than 10k votes, it was likely because of McAuliffe's actions. YOUR VOTE loving MATTERS.

That is why voting for Phil Murphy today was an easy choice.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I voted just before 10 in Western Fairfax county. There were like 3 voters at the time so the old volunteers were talking about the guns they own but couldn't bring with them today :waycool:. Couldn't get out of there any faster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, I held my nose and voted straight-ticket Dem, you can't begrudge me writing in Karl Marx for school board.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Look, I held my nose and voted straight-ticket Dem, you can't begrudge me writing in Karl Marx for school board.

Having read marx, I blame you for wanting to inflict his prose on children, you monster.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Oracle posted:

400,000 felons had their voting rights restored.

T-Mac did them all individually, by hand for months.

He's a goddamn hero. :patriot:

farraday posted:

Having read marx, I blame you for wanting to inflict his prose on children, you monster.

My favorite part of my econ department was that the History of Economic Thought was taught by a legitimate Marxist economist. We all read Das Kapital, and it's a pretty good read although it's really long and you have to understand the historical context in that he was responding to David Ricardo and Adam Smith's classical setups.

Honestly was probably one of the most important classes I took in school along with advanced econometrics and number theory.

Oh and I had another class with the same professor my freshman year where we did Marxian analysis of the oil market. Pretty neat stuff and very heterodox.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 7, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

A friend of mine who hosed up as a young guy just sent me a photo of him with his sticker. Dale City vote too, so it counts for a lot. It's his first vote since he was 18.

Terry McAulliffe will never pay for a beer in my presence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Electoral justice should be NUMBER 1 on the list of any democratic elected official in any office. Including statehood for Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Any Democratic governor who doesn't do this should be primaried. Without it, no other agenda issues will get done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

farraday posted:

The tradition of reading Silas Marner in high school weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Electoral justice should be NUMBER 1 on the list of any democratic elected official in any office. Including statehood for Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Any Democratic governor who doesn't do this should be primaried. Without it, no other agenda issues will get done.

Agreed. Dem candidates in 2018 need to run on 3 things:

-Expand Medicaid
-Make Voting Easy (restore felon rights, same day registration, early voting, etc)
-Ban Gerrymandering

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

A friend of mine who hosed up as a young guy just sent me a photo of him with his sticker. Dale City vote too, so it counts for a lot. It's his first vote since he was 18.

Terry McAulliffe will never pay for a beer in my presence.

You’re going to go broke, god speed.

axeil posted:

My favorite part of my econ department was that the History of Economic Thought was taught by a legitimate Marxist economist. We all read Das Kapital, and it's a pretty good read although it's really long and you have to understand the historical context in that he was responding to David Ricardo and Adam Smith's classical setups.

Honestly was probably one of the most important classes I took in school along with advanced econometrics and number theory.

Oh and I had another class with the same professor my freshman year where we did Marxian analysis of the oil market. Pretty neat stuff and very heterodox.
Took the same class and I agree, but the german philisophical tradition Marx comes out of makes his writing incredible chore to read.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Voted around 7am in the city of Fredericksburg this morning. There was no line at all, I walked right up to the check in and straight to fill out my ballot and scan it. I think I was in and out within 5 minutes. It looked like there was more people coming as I was leaving as the parking lot was starting to fill up. The VRE commuter train is also modifying their train consists tonight in anticipation of more people leaving work earlier to get back to Fredericksburg before the polls close.

Ended up voting straight Dem in the state-level elections. Our local elections are all non-partisan.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Decent line in Cville just now. It had just started raining when I got there so people were all bunched up inside, else the line may have been out the door. Quick in and out otherwise. Fingers crossed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

You’re going to go broke, god speed.

I feel drinking with T-Mac would be a really fun time given the infamous "Hillary rum" interview.

farraday posted:

Took the same class and I agree, but the german philisophical tradition Marx comes out of makes his writing incredible chore to read.

Ugh. Yes. It's really interesting stuff but so, so tedious to read.

We also had to read Hayek in the same class which was also interesting but for different reasons.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

farraday posted:

Marx's prose is top-notch among German philosophers. Sure, you could trip over that bar, but compare him to Kant, Hegel, Wittgenstein, or Heidegger.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Marx's prose is top-notch among German philosophers. Sure, you could trip over that bar, but compare him to Kant, Hegel, Wittgenstein, or Heidegger.

Not unless fancy is buying my beer too. I took a regular history of modern philosphy course too.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

i'll give you the other three but wittgenstein does not belong in this list at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Not unless fancy is buying my beer too. I took a regular history of modern philosphy course too.

NOVA Goon meet to drink beer and discuss German philosophy/politics.

Also known as "the gooniest goon meet"

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Portsmouth (Hampton Roads) polling location, no line at all compared to same time last year.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Sounds like a William & Mary class reunion.

The re wasn’t a line in My precinct in Alexandria but it was right after the early morning rush.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

I am game for this. I'll DD your drunk asses home. :-P

NoVA turnout still at a high clip, and we're running out of turf to walk.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

botany posted:

i'll give you the other three but wittgenstein does not belong in this list at all.

I'll give you tractatus but I always found Philosophical Investigations to be a slog.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/927936962232815616

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/927940619049291776

https://twitter.com/fairfaxvotes/status/927916894996303872
Does not include 45k plus absentee.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He's not wrong.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's not wrong.

Yeah, I thought "imply" was weaker than the verb I would've used.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

I'll give you tractatus but I always found Philosophical Investigations to be a slog.

that's honestly the first time i've heard anybody say that about PI :shrug:

goddamn :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

whoa, Terry McAuliffe restored voting rights by hand?? what a boss

I voted this morning and it was really quiet. the only person who was super excited to be there was my mom, who voted for the first time since she became a citizen this year :3:

my county went overwhelmingly for HRC, and I expect this same kind of energy today

• Locked thread