Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

"Omega is hurt by doing this thing, while he's become the third biggest star in Japan doing that thing."

Sure thing pal.

To quote the philosopher Nelly, "Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

weirdly delivering english promos isn't why kenny is a star in japan

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I like how Bix notes that Kenny doesn't speak the same way in English-speaking countries.

It's almost as if there's a certain point to why Kenny speaks English the way he does when he's in Japan.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He also speaks Japanese though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Cameo posted:

I like how Bix notes that Kenny doesn't speak the same way in English-speaking countries.

It's almost as if there's a certain point to why Kenny speaks English the way he does when he's in Japan.

And by working it into his character a bit it seems less like he's patronizing the crowd.

oatgan posted:

He also speaks Japanese though

And he uses it sometimes, but the Bullet Club leader works a bit better when he's speaking English rather than Japanese.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It made a big impact when he switched to Japanese in his post-match promo on winning the G1, way more than if he just cut promos in Japanese all the time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, when he won the G1, he began the part of his promo in Japanese with "they allow me to speak in Japanese like once a year, so..." they like to obscure his bi-lingual nature. Mostly because he's supposed to be a gaijin heel, and who in Japan would boo a gaijin who has gotten to actual fluency with their language. Any time he does switch, he literally gets a pop for it.

Also, I think I just found Kenny's youtube account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBY5DMo0seY&t=143s

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full Korakuen cards for the Road to WK doubleshot are out. In addition to the normal dome buildup matches we'll get to see YLC matches on both nights and a NEVER trios title match.

ROAD TO TOKYO Dome
December 17th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino [0] vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi [0]
YLC Match:Katsuya Kitamura [4] vs. Ren Narita [0]
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [4] vs. Tomoyuki Oka [4]
Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Kota Ibushi and Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and Taichi)
Satoshi Kojima, KUSHIDA, and Masked Horse vs. Roppongi 3K
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and GoD)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

ROAD TO TOKYO Dome
December 18th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino vs. Ren Narita
YLC Match:Tomoyuki Oka vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato vs. Katsuya Kitamura
KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Masked Horse vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Togi Makabe and Henare vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA)
Kota Ibushi and TenCozy vs. Bullet Club (GoD and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO, and YOH) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu, and BUSHI)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My guess is that Masked Horse is gonna end up being Taguchi. He's teaming with mostly juniors and Taguchi's not booked under his own name.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope Masked Horse just wears one of those creepy rubber horse heads

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sucks that with Tanahashi out we won't get the match with the top two matches facing off in tag matches that have been really good in recent years.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

switchblade is a curtain-jerking act

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
tanahashi's not injured, its a power move to make sure he doesn't have to put Jay White over before the Dome match.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So I'm guessing the Bad Luck GODs are gonna win the Trios belts and defend them at the dome against a Taguchi/Suzuki/CHAOS gauntlet of "guys in the factions who don't have matches elsewhere on the card".

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Found these on some Japanese newspaper websites

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I am so loving excited for Wrestle Kingdom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ch3cooh posted:

Found these on some Japanese newspaper websites

These rule.

Dangerous Person posted:

I am so loving excited for Wrestle Kingdom

I already was but even more so now, this is gonna be great.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why is Rocky standing around and leaving the task of trying to restrain Omega to a 70+ year old Tiger Hattori?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The shot of Jericho with the belt in the ring is the cover of this week’s Shūkan Puroresu. Saw it on the way to work this morning. To say the Angle has no heat based on the Fukuoka crowd is a bit disingenuous.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling photography is kind of a lost art these days, so I'm glad New Japan is keeping it alive. Those are some great shots.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Sucks that with Tanahashi out we won't get the match with the top two matches facing off in tag matches that have been really good in recent years.

Couldn't pull that off anyway as they don't do cross faction teams, but those owned when you could pair Okada and Nakamura up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Couldn't pull that off anyway as they don't do cross faction teams, but those owned when you could pair Okada and Nakamura up.

Tanahashi and Okada vs Naito and Switchblade wouldn't gently caress things up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tanahashi and switchblade arent in a top match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

They are in the top match.

Also this is the most interested I have been in a NJPW show in about 2 years. The Jericho stuff has been a breath of fresh air.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I'm glad gedo loves the good bloody rasslin angles.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

How so? It's a big title with an up and comer vs a legend. How is that not a top match.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

abraham linksys posted:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/940624368970993665
i'm so mad at bix for this tweet because he's right and i will never again be able to hear a kenny omega promo without imagining a codec screen

Not to get too spergy but Bix is missing several things with why these angles are resonating and are awesome. Subtle strokes from both guys on delivery and execution are what is making for great art right now - Jericho's face right before the beatdown starts, Kenny's howl as he stands up at the end, the way Jericho throws the table at the press conference, I could go on. Point being those nuances are what is rare right now and goes to show Jericho is still an incredible performer when thinking about the totality of what makes a good pro wrestler.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/940798759579119616?s=17

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The_Rob posted:

How so? It's a big title with an up and comer vs a legend. How is that not a top match.

It's likely to be the semi main so nominally it is a big match but the complete lack of build is making it feel cold. I don't know why they didn't get Jay for the December tours.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tonfa posted:

It's likely to be the semi main so nominally it is a big match but the complete lack of build is making it feel cold. I don't know why they didn't get Jay for the December tours.

Did you not see him attack Tanahashi like a week ago?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The_Rob posted:

Did you not see him attack Tanahashi like a week ago?

Yeah ok I didn't, kept up with the tag league through recaps until the finals. Didn't see anyone mention it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Tonfa posted:

Yeah ok I didn't, kept up with the tag league through recaps until the finals. Didn't see anyone mention it.

he hasn't been on any of the tag league shows.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Kosen_Wrestling/status/940428589056499712

Good photos can tell the story so well

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like that he still wears the scarf for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hurry up and sell out completely so I can stop being tempted to just make a last minute purchase and flight to Japan :emo:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't afford that on a moderator's salary.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Incessant Excess posted:

I like that he still wears the scarf for some reason.

The scarf was always a shoot

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, I want to watch New Japan because the streaming pile of constant poo poo that is WWE is making me sad.

What do I do and where do I start?

Also because I adore Jericho.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, I want to watch New Japan because the streaming pile of constant poo poo that is WWE is making me sad.

What do I do and where do I start?

Also because I adore Jericho.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/htmlview#gid=0

This is your new friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The video of Omega attacking Jericho for retribution was money, especially with Jericho doing a good job showing how rattled he was afterwards. Being virulent with the media, forcing the reporter to write down that it'll be Kenny's last match.

Also bix has been making GBS threads on Omega on twitter for like a year, that's nothing new. He claims Toru Yano, Nattie Neidhart, Yoshi-Hashi, and Trevor Lee are better than Omega. Lee's the only one in that list who can regularly have compelling matches.

• Locked thread