Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

While I would have liked LIJ to be the unbeatable final boss of the trios division NJPW's vision for the belts is to highlight an act. They didn't lose to a completely random team. In this case they want to give Nakanishi one last run (he's been given a lot more focus lately with the actually great singles match with Nagata and getting to deliver the New Year's Dash show closing promo) and a consolation prize for Love&Energy Tanahashi. Taguchi is there to be the fall guy in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I swear I don't care that much about Boney, but I'm just curious since I'm a relatively new viewer: was he ever "good?" Like why does he have a job in a roster full of guys who range from "okay/Yoshitatsu" to "Best in the World?" Someone's relative?

NJPW and japanese wrestling in general is very loyal to the guys brought up through their own dojo. Generally have a job for life unless you really gently caress up.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

My favorite part was when Jado and Gedo drove off Despy earlier during the jr. tag match but didn't give a poo poo about Hirooki Goto

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I hope they realize Makabe has no name value outside Japan. The Kojima match would get over though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Juniors are going fourth from the top at Dominion a week after the BosJ, apparently the program is less important than Suzuki/Goto. Business as usual.

Hell they can't even main event most of the shows on their own tour.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

juniors are good cram it

They deserve better especially with Hiromu on top :(

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

also optimally just end weight classes but that's not happening

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

i don't see Ibushi making the final as a freelancer

When exactly did they sign Kojima in 2010 and when did it become public?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

YTR's not beating Okada, lieutenants never beat stable leaders unless it's a huge storyline. It's the one bit of tournament W/L booking they're actually consistent on.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Oh yeah I guess and it was never brought up again, never mind then.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

coconono posted:

I think Okada's the exception to the rule. My understanding was when he returned from TNA he was PISSED, cut a big promo and that really impressed GEDO. PLus being an absolute physical specimen really helps too.

The promo sucked, Okada looked weird and nervous, Rainmaker V1 was an awful finisher, and the crowd was chanting for him to go home when he challenged Tanahashi. Gedo just had enough faith in what he saw in Okada to make him a big deal fairly quick anyway.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

tbh I think YOSHI-HASHI has actually regressed in this G1. Or maybe the initial shine has just worn off. Nothing he has done has shown he's capable of working above the occasional doomed NEVER challenger level.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Jr's will always be second class citizens in this company unless they hold a press conference or promo stating they are Heavyweight now

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Benne posted:

I think EVIL has solidified his ceiling as an upper-midcard gatekeeper type (a la Goto or Elgin), which is still a really good spot in NJPW. Would love to see him get a run with the NEVER belt sometime next year.

He's been back from excursion for two years and has shown steady improvement in that timeframe. Plenty of time to improve further, not everyone gets it immediately like Okada. Look at how long it took Naito to become a real ME guy.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Pinwiz11 posted:

The dinosaur and sword...

...it's so beautiful... :supaburn:

Best part about this was Shibata was in the opposite corner so it just looked like evening the odds.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The real travesty is that the trios belt means we don't get to see EVIL enter through a ritual summoning pentagram at Wrestle Kingdom

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

STONE COLD 64 posted:

maybe im bein pessimistic but i feel like tencozy is probably winning this thing outright

the only negative here would be kojima being locked out of singles programs

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The_Rob posted:

How so? It's a big title with an up and comer vs a legend. How is that not a top match.

It's likely to be the semi main so nominally it is a big match but the complete lack of build is making it feel cold. I don't know why they didn't get Jay for the December tours.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The_Rob posted:

Did you not see him attack Tanahashi like a week ago?

Yeah ok I didn't, kept up with the tag league through recaps until the finals. Didn't see anyone mention it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Current roster members who have not succeeded in their IWPG Heavyweight title challenges:

8x- Hirooki Goto
6x- Minoru Suzuki
2x- Kenny Omega
1x- Bad Luck Fale, Cody, EVIL, Kota Ibushi, Michael Elgin, Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Yujiro Takahashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

how many failed title shots does Makabe have

He actually won the belt, in 2010. Held it for a solid five months too.

Also ^ 5 to be exact. Failed three challenges, won, defended three times, lost, tried twice more

Even the NJPW Dads have only 6-7 failed title shots each over their 20+ year careers.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread