Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I had my friend, a new pro wrestling fan (year and a half now), over for his third session of NJPW matches. We watched (in order)....

1. NJPW.2016.08.12.G1.Climax.26.Day.17 - Goto vs Marafuji
2. NJPW.2016.08.12.G1.Climax.26.Day.17 - Okda vs Tanahashi
3. NJPW.2016.08.13.G1.Climax.26.Day.18 - Kenny Omega vs Naito
4. NJPW.2016 G1 CLIMAX 26.Day.19.Finals - Kenny Omega vs Goto
5. NJPW.2016.10.10.King.Of.Pro.Wrestling - Kenny Omega vs Goto II
6. NJPW.2016.10.10.King.Of.Pro.Wrestling - Marafuji vs Okada
7 .NJPW.Wrestling.Kingdom 11 - Kenny Omega vs Okada

He said his favorite was... Omega vs Naito from G1! Hah, awesome. Okada just doesn't do much for him. He used to dislike Kenny, but not any more and he thought Naito can really light it up when he gets going with his speed. I think the selling from both Naito and Omega were just extra awesome for him. Where as, Okada has a tendency to just be stoic mo fo that grits his teeth but that's about it.Hell of a day's viewing though, whew. Loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I really hope Ishii win this. I'm fairly certain he is my spirit animal.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Naw, Goto is awesome. Good for you. I don't understand all of the hate on him lately. If you only cheer wrestlers who win constantly... then the WWE is made for you. I'm thinking that having a semi-believable mid-card threat is really hard for people to get behind.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

Out of curiosity i rewatched the main event in English, and thought Kelly and Cyrus did a nice job. They're starting to get in a good groove with one another, and Cyrus is clearly more comfortable now that he's got a few reps under his belt. I'll never not listen to Japanese for my first time viewing a show but it's good to know the English team is improving and doing well.

Match by the way is still spectacular on second viewing.

That's good to hear. I will have to do that next time I watch that match.

I finally found the NJPW commentary sweet spot. Let the English commentary help kill time and entertain for the first half but once intermission starts, switch to the Japanese screaming mad men.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

Watched the second half of the show last night. I love War Machine and it's clear they are super over with the Japanese crowd. It'd be nice to see them going on a run with the titles just destroying everyone.

The after match hand shakes from the New Japan Dad Squad were great. Kojima was selling his rear end of for their finisher, hahaha. Combine that with WM's respectful acknowledgements and it was all kinds of awesome. Solid match with a happy ending.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

At least the chair was padded with a loosened seat... *shrug* i think he'll live. I'm more upset with the fact that that chair shot (which should be RARE, if used at all) didn't even pop that crowd. It was a waste.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2017

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

I loving hate how NJPW world now puts up post match interview clips above the events. It totally spoils the outcome when you see the one wrestler celebrating with the belt while the next vid picture (right above the actual event!) shows the other being held up by two other guys. Spoilers!! WTF, Japan.

It reminds me of the time they changed the banner on the site to advertise the G1 Finals... when I had just logged in to watch the last day of the tournament. :saddowns:

Guess I'll stick to torrents.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

gently caress you Japan for spoiling things that have already happened, kind of! I'm gonna steal your poo poo for that!

No. I've been subscribed and paying for years now. It's silly that I have to torrent to avoid spoilers on stuff I pay for.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

SLUM KING posted:

Can't you just bookmark the events page and go straight to that? I don't think that has any promo clips.

Hmm, good call. Just click on an event from the schedule page. Takes you right to the event video. Perfect. I was going through the "series" option from the front of the page. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Back in the day, the super j cup was recommended as the first show to watch if you're new to puro. If that is still on njpw world, I recommend watching that.

The 1994 one specifically or was there another crazy awesome year?

• Locked thread