Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

This is really missing a Rainmaker pose as he rounds the corner.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

schweens posted:

Agreed but i think Goto is going to win it

Or Shibata beats Goto during the tourney but loses in a higher round, leading to a NEVER rematch.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Takuan posted:

I'm watching the Road To show now and is there a specific reason Izuka tackled that announcer and tore off his Yuji Nagata shirt?

Not sure how it started, but abusing that Nagata-loving announcer has been part of his shtick for as long as I've been watching.

Here's one of his more elaborate paint jobs:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Thauros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=838jTFJg310

NJPW is finally starting to subtitle videos which is great to see

Video Description posted:

A Viscous History! The villain's path leads back to NJPW.

So viscous. I agree that it's good to see some English subs, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm excited for the New Japan Cup this year - there are a lot of directions they could go in and most of them would be interesting. I'd kind of like to see a heel vs. heel faction war between LIJ and Bullet Club when the latter returns, since CHAOS still seems occupied with Suzukigun and LIJ have a bunch of belts. Maybe hold off on the obligatory Omega vs. Okada rematch for a big show in a few months and have a less obvious NJC winner in the meantime.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I keep hearing 'Punishment' Martinez from Kevin Kelly.

I think that's actually his ROH name. He was Punisher Martinez in the top prospects tournament, then "The Punishment" Damien Martinez with Kevin Sullivan, then I stopped watching.

Nice double shot this weekend. NJPW tends to be a lot of fun when they do foreigner-focused tours and I loved what they did with Dalton and the Boys. It looks like War Machine might have a future in Japan, and even Silas Young seemed pretty over with the live crowd.

Bring on Tiger Mask W vs. Okada!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Really fun B-tier show last night - Okada/TMW, Shibata/Sabre, and Hiromu/Taguchi were all pretty great. I still wish they'd treat the jr. tag belts less like a hot potato, but I pretty much accept it at this point.

Makabe is rocking a pretty sweet beard these days, too.

Bring on the New Japan Cup!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The NJC matches on that second card look way better, but EVIL vs. Tanahashi should be rad too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I really hope Shibata wins, and I hope just as much that he doesn't choose to challenge Goto for some dumb reason.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Go War Machine!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh, Google translate.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

he had successful surgery for a subdural hematoma according to NJPW's website

which according to Google is bleeding between the brain and the covering of the brain.

Oh jeez, way to give yourself a traumatic brain injury Shibata. It sounds like they caught it early which is good, but this kind of thing isn't a trivial matter. Hopefully he recovers okay.

Glad to see War Machine take the belts - that was the most I've enjoyed a HW tag title match in awhile. It would be nice if they got a decent run but that's not really how the tag divisions work.

Hiromu has been such a great addition to the junior division. Looking forward to him and Ricochet and hopefully they get Ospreay back for a title shot as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Venomous posted:

...what a way to retire though.

Even sadder he didn't win the title now. And he was finally moving up the card. :smith:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not uncommon to temporarily remove a chunk of skull to relieve brain swelling. In some people they actually implant it elsewhere in the body to make sure it stays fresh until they put it back in.

Given the rest of his reported symptoms he's lucky to be speaking at this point. But yeah, no more wrestling for that guy please.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm behind a SANADA push but I'm worried his hair just isn't tall enough.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh man Block A is stacked.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

loving hell I feel bad for people going to the G1 Special if the top two matches are Okada/Cody and Tanahashi/Mr. rear end

I'm in for Mr. rear end vs. Mr. Ace.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

VJeff posted:

Wait are they doing three triple threats with the same guys for the tag titles? :stare:

They did something similar last tour as well. I assume it's so they don't have to book "X vs. whoever the champ is" and leave part of the card unannounced. Also so Gedo can be lazy with booking.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Man September 7th is a long time away.

On the plus side my NJPW withdrawal has led me to check out the archives a bit. The two recommended Vader matches I've watched so far were disappointing, but Liger vs. Sano was good and shockingly violent for what I expected in a jr. match from 1990.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

greasynig posted:

where do y'all go to watch njpw? just saw the okada omega fights and i am hooked

http://njpwworld.com/

Only 999 yen per month!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Johnny Landmine posted:

Japanese Twitter is raking Yoshi-Hashi over the coals with such gems as "That line is way cooler coming from Tanahashi," "Being able to speak English should be a prerequisite for challenging for the US title," and "So is it in Yoshi-Hashi's contract that he gets to challenge Kenny out of nowhere, or..."

He said it in English!

Lol Body Break reference in Kenny's post show promo.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Canadian Thanksgiving!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yeah the main event should be great assuming it gets a bit more time in that slot.

If anyone wants to see Nakanishi putting in his effort for the year, the main event against Nagata was pretty darn good (same as last time they headlined a show).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Was he out jogging in a onesie?

I mean, I guess it is Calgary in late October.

(Good job Davey!)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Man after the Jericho thing I actually thought against all common sense that the commentary might be foreshadowing an Ibushi vs. Nakamura IC match for WK and I'm a bit disappointed it didn't happen.

Also, that sliding rope-assisted German by Trent is the coolest new move I've seen since Matanza debuted.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

They've started providing English translation for the post match comments. The Suzuki/Goto one was really cool and completely turned me around on not wanting to see that match again.

I was worried that subtitles would make these guys less cool, but I was completely wrong.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Have we heard about Shibata's status anytime recently? I care a lot more about him being able to walk properly than anything Honma related.

Not recently. He walked out to the ring at the G1 Final in August and said a couple words on the mic. Last I remember seeing was a Tweet (?) In which he talked about rehab not going as well as he would have liked. I feel like that was at least a month ago.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Tag League night 1 was a lot of fun! All the newcomers got put over strong and I hope Chucky, Cobb, and Sami stick around. I didn't quite understand why Juice and Sami were tagging together until the announcers reminded me that Sami was in NXT. I think I'm officially on the Death Juice train.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Best Friends vs. UnbreaCobble from the most recent show was a lot of fun (Chucky got a chant!), the GOD vs. Young Boys match had some good comedy, and the main event that's just starting should be a fine hoss off. Definitely worth tuning in for the top of the card.

I also enjoyed Juice screaming "gently caress off Nakanishi" in the previous show. I guess Sami's rubbing off on him.

I know there has to be the impression of parity with some of the faction teams but if I'm in charge of Chaos I'm definitely putting Goto and Ishii together to kill someone dudes.

Edit: yesss, duelling swears and big boy moonsaults!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 30, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm finding KES much more tolerable this run and I'm not sure if it's because they actually improved or because they're facing teams other than Tencozy. DBS in particular has looked good lately, though he's always been pretty carryable.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I’ve completely fallen off the tag League due to work - am I better off following a team or two? Or should I just seek out the the good handful?

Most of the first show was good (Nov 18), and the top half of the other full-production show was as well (Nov 30).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Tomahawk posted:

The biggest problem I have with following NJPW is stuff like this and the G1, its such an overwhelming amount of wrestling that I can't possibly watch all of it. Is there a list of the must sees from World Tag League?

Unless you're really into a particular team just watch the full production shows.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Thauros posted:

GoD win the three way tie thanks to wins over War Machine and KES setting up the Finals on Monday.

Guess I look p dumb right now, should've paid more heed to the new finisher.

It's a little odd that they're doing heel vs. heel in the finals and at the dome, but I guess LIJ could be de facto faces in both matches.

It's good that they have a tag finisher, just a shame that it's similar to a transitional GOD move that looks much better.

sigmachiev posted:

That's an awesome name but what is it? Sister Abigail or some other overdrive/crossroads derivative?

Sister Abigail.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, I want to watch New Japan because the streaming pile of constant poo poo that is WWE is making me sad.

What do I do and where do I start?

Also because I adore Jericho.

Basically all of their big events for the past 5 or so years are worth watching, but if you're getting hyped for this year's Wrestle Kingdom maybe start with last year's (11) and hit all the big ones since then. Often the undercard isn't too exciting so you can skip to the title matches in the second half.

Specifically I'd recommend:

WK11
New Beginning In Sapporo (last three matches)
New Beginning in Osaka (last four matches)
Sakura Genesis (last three matches)
Wrestling Dontaku (Omega/Ishii)
Best of Super Junior Finals (Kushida/Ospreay)
Dominion (last four matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 1 (top three matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 2 (Omega/Ishii, Bucks/RPG Vice)
G1 Climax Tournament (too many to list, but Okada/Omega was great again)
G1 Climax Final (Omega/Naito, Bucks/Taguchi Japan)
Destruction in Hiroshima (Tanahashi/ZSJ)
Destruction in Kobe (Omega/Juice)
King of Pro Wrestling (Roppongi 3K/Taguchi Japan, last three matches)
Power Struggle (last three matches)

Once you get a feel for who you like, you'll have a better idea of what to skip and what to watch. Okada, Omega, Naito, Tanahashi, Ishii, Kushida, and Hiromu are some of my faves.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Thauros posted:

If they're re-debuting him in a match third from the top at the Dome against Hiroshi Tanahashi for a belt that's expected to headline shows they have confidence in him. It's way too early to say whether or not the confidence is well placed and there are elements of the gimmick that come off as lame and tryhard. Kinda unfair judging him too harshly based on one post match challenge segment tho.

EVIL worked out great so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm at work for WK but I have an office with a door and the place is going to be dead so I'll get paid to watch wrestling!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Man, the year in review video at the start of the show really drove home how awesome this year has been for NJPW. 2018 is looking great too!

I'm not sure who my fave New Japan horse is, but it might be Tanahashi rolling in a giant IC belt.

Horse game video for those who missed it.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 17, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

I'm currently unsubscribed and I can't remember - Can you rewind live streams on NJPW World ?

I've convinced a few friends of mine to watch WK12 but it's an 8am start and my friends want to meet at 10am so it'd be perfect if we just rewind the stream a couple hours back to the start when we do meet up.

I've done it before and it worked fine. Not recently though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I hope if Naito wins they don't trot Goto out too early as a challenger to give him some credibility. I like Goto more than most but I just don't buy him as a top contender anymore without a good run of wins or some changes in his presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

shiksa posted:

Satoshi kojima stars in baking papa, a brand new njpw licensed game for the Nintendo wii

LARIATOAST!!!

• Locked thread